Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I do not buy Braun redshirting this season unless there is something more going on that we are not aware of (e.g. he's injured). Redshirting Willie Tyler is a must if the staff is to get maximal return on him. I really hope that Proctor continues to get recruited as competition for the other guard spot is a must and the OL really needs to have an established two-deep rotation.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I don't really think we want Tyler playing in any games this year. He's huge and naturally strong, but he needs the full Yancy/Hand experience.

I actually wouldn't mind Texas actually blowing some teams out and getting some of these younger guys reps. The depth takes a huge hit after the 2020 season when the OL likely loses Cosmi to the draft, Imade, Kerstetter, and Okafor.

Have to think that Tyler is a replacement for Hudson as they are at similar development points.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This may have been addressed when his name first came up, but why was he at a juco?  Grades, late growth spurt, not very good as a hs senior?  Position change?

He payed DL until this past year at JUCO. Texas also convinced him to graduate early from JUCO, which caused his recruitment to pick up steam.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Love the athleticism but he is very, very raw.  Bad: plays too high, especially run blocking.  Just buries people with his height and weight advantage.  Let's rushers get into his body too often in pass pro.

Good: ridiculous balance and footwork for a guy his size.  Good mobility for such a huge dude.  Flexibility - he does a good job of staying down in his pass blocking stance so the pad level in run blocking is clearly a technique issue rather than due to lack of ability.  Agility - it was almost funny to watch a 330 pounder cut block a DE.  I wish I could have seen the defender's face.  Great raw material for Hand to shape into a powerful work of art.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Love the athleticism but he is very, very raw.  Bad: plays too high, especially run blocking.  Just buries people with his height and weight advantage.  Let's rushers get into his body too often in pass pro.

Good: ridiculous balance and footwork for a guy his size.  Good mobility for such a huge dude.  Flexibility - he does a good job of staying down in his pass blocking stance so the pad level in run blocking is clearly a technique issue rather than due to lack of ability.  Agility - it was almost funny to watch a 330 pounder cut block a DE.  I wish I could have seen the defender's face.  Great raw material for Hand to shape into a powerful work of art.

This was his 1st year playing OL. He was a DL in HS.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Jim Bertelsen

Well not really, he's just the only one I know off the top of my head.

Bertelsen was a big-time  recruit back in the day, and his recruitment out of the tundra of WI was surprising at the time. Helluva player, Jim.

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was not aware that Texas had a football team from 2014 to 2016.  I keep searching the memory banks of my mind, and there's a big blank spot for those years.

I'm with you. There are guys talking about the number of scholarship OL we had for a 2014 bowl game. I don't even remember such a game. I mean, people tell me I was at the game but I don't believe them.

Edited by Huckleberry

More background on Willie Tyler: https://journaltimes.com/sports/high-school/peter-jackel-racine-s-willie-tyler-on-the-fast-track/article_6e636c2e-319d-50e8-8cb0-7286eaa6dfbe.html

As a senior defensive lineman for the Racine Lutheran High School football team during the 2016 season, Willie Tyler was just starting to discover how good he could be.

The 6-foot-7, 260-pound Tyler earned first-team All-Racine County honors after his first season as a full-time starter at defensive lineman that year. He was also a decent basketball player who fell one vote short of earning second-team All-County honors in that sport as a senior.

Tyler signed with Garden City Community College in Kansas in July 2017. But he balked when Garden City’s coaching staff wanted to convert him into an offensive lineman and he returned to Racine by the end of that July.

That might have been the end of the story of Tyler as an athlete. Instead, it was just the beginning. Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs, Iowa contacted Tyler about giving football another shot in January 2018 and he accepted.

This time, Tyler bought into playing offensive tackle and allowed just one sack after becoming a regular starting with the fifth game last season. He bulked up to 330 pounds after dedicating himself to weight lifting. He elevated his grade-point average to 3.3 after maintaining about a 2.5 GPA at Lutheran.

And now Tyler’s name is circulating prominently in the realm of major college football.

He has already been extended full athletic scholarship offers from Louisiana Tech, West Virginia and Southern Methodist. Also contacting him have been Illinois, Texas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Indiana and Alabama.

“Kentucky has also reached out,” said Donnie Woods, the offensive line coach at Iowa Western.

How would Tyler have reacted if he could have known this would happen two years ago at Racine Lutheran?

“I probably would have been in shock,” he said.

Why has Tyler made such a sudden impact among major colleges? Start with these two factors:

• He has the size, potential and academic standing that appeals to major-college programs.
  • After playing just one season at the junior-college level, he will be a “four-in-three” player for whatever program signs him. In other words, he will have a redshirt season followed by three years of eligibility, making him all the more attractive to college programs.

“Sometimes, I think offensive linemen take a little while to develop,” Woods said. “He’s kind of a perfect case of that where a big, super-athletic kid comes in and just spends a year or year and a half focusing on football. And the next thing you know, they’re a highly-touted kid coming out of the junior college ranks.

“The first thing about this whole process is that if Willie is not willing to work, this doesn’t happen. He’s bought in and did what he’s supposed to do and taken care of business academically. When you do that and you get bigger, faster and stronger and you work on developing yourself as an offensive lineman, you become a highly-touted recruit.”

Why wasn’t Tyler more well known in high school? There were a few reasons.

He transferred from Case to Lutheran for his sophomore season after playing only on the freshman team in 2013. He was in the Crusaders’ defensive-line rotation in 2014, but only played three games as a junior because of a foot injury.

And then came his senior season, when it all came together. Despite being double-teamed most of the time, Tyler had 45 tackles, 23 of which were solo, 11 tackles for loss, 2½ sacks, three blocked kicks and two interceptions.

Tyler saw some playing time as an offensive lineman, but he concentrated on defense.

“He was becoming a very good player because he had that attitude of wanting to make big plays,” Lutheran coach Scott Smith said. “I remember there were times he would try to bull-rush and say, “I’m going to block that extra point,’ and he did.”

After finally accepting that his best position was offensive tackle, Tyler put everything he had into learning the techniques. But it wasn’t easy.

“It was pretty difficult,” Tyler said. “I didn’t know it took so much to play offensive line. I learned things like shooting your hands. Every technique can make a big difference.

“At first, I could block a little bit, but there weren’t any pancakes or anything like that. But as the season went on, I started getting pancakes, I wasn’t giving up many plays. I was getting complimented. Everyone could see my progress.”

Woods certainly saw a great deal.

“Any time a kid will spend time on technique and learning the game, I think the game will slow down for you,” Woods said. “And I think he did that. He was super raw coming out of high school and most kids are.

“His ability to put forth the effort and become a better technician, if you add that to his size and athleticism, you find yourself a really talented offensive lineman.

“His situation is unique, but it’s not uncommon. There’s a ton of guys out there who are big-bodied kids who are super athletic. But you have to take care of it academically and you’ve got to put forth the effort on the field. He’s done both of those things.”

The plan for the immediate future is for Tyler to consider offers and make other contacts. Among the arrangements he’s made so far is visiting Oklahoma March 8 and West Virginia late in March.

And then he hopes to make his decision.

“Four-year schools are always looking for big athletic kids and they will scour the country looking for those type of players,” Woods said. “Sometimes, they get into a bind where they’re down on their depth charts and they don’t have a lot of bodies at that position and they need a quick fix.

“They can’t say, ‘I’m going to take an 18-year-old kid out of high school and expect him to come into the Big 12 or the SEC and play right away. They can go to the junior-college ranks and take a kid like Willie who has done everything he’s supposed to do and have gone against guys who are going to play at this higher level.

“That’s where this whole process starts, but it wouldn’t have happened if Willie hadn’t put in the effort.”

• Like 1

I’m glad Tyler’s commitment went public. I mentioned it over the weekend because a little birdie told me the two OL commitments were imminent. I just wasn’t told which one would go public first. 

Great way to finish the class. The OL depth is significantly improved. Texas only had 6 OL available for the bowl game vs. Arkansas.

Edited by DontTaseMeBro
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DontTaseMeBro said:

I’m glad Tyler’s commitment went public. I mentioned it over the weekend because a little birdie told me the two OL commitments were imminent. I just wasn’t told which one would go public first. 

Great way to finish the class. The OL depth is significantly improved. Texas only had 6 OL available for the bowl game vs. Arkansas.

Oh yeah? Are we worried about our O Line depth from 2014?

Interesting quote from Mehinger " Tim Beck is as good a recruiting coordinator as I’ve ever been around. He is tenacious and relentless and does an awesome, awesome job."   

Hmmm. Maybe QB coach and recruiting coordinator is his future title, leaving OC to someone else.

34 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

When does aggy start complaining about our ranking needing to drop with this new addition, since he has like, zero stars?

Since that would be very, very aggy (complaining about a large OT needing to be a detriment to us while simultaneously having none of those on their all OG line), then the odds of this are 1,000%.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Since that would be very, very aggy (complaining about a large OT needing to be a detriment to us while simultaneously having none of those on their all OG line), then the odds of this are 1,000%.

Let's not forget the massive hypocrisy of demanding Bru McCoy not count as (technically) a transfer but also demanding that a JUCO transfer count if they think it will look bad for Texas.  That level of double think means it's a slam dunk to happen with aggy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DontTaseMeBro said:

You gonna get tased bro.

22 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Let's not forget the massive hypocrisy of demanding Bru McCoy not count as (technically) a transfer but also demanding that a JUCO transfer count if they think it will look bad for Texas.  That level of double think means it's a slam dunk to happen with aggy.

Nobody does cognitive dissonance like them. Zero reason or logic.

E.J. Holland: Texas gets needed OL help, puts bow on 2019 class

Texas finished with a Top 3 class in the country for the second consecutive year, but the Longhorns weren’t completely satisfied. While new offensive line coach Herb Hand did a tremendous job with his group last season, Texas still felt it needed to find some immediate help in the trenches. So what did the Longhorns do? Well, not only did they land a grand transfer, they landed arguably the best one on the market in Georgia Tech’s Parker Braun, who committed to Texas during his official visit over the weekend.

Braun was a two-time All-ACC selection as he led the way upfront in Georgia Tech’s run-heavy triple option offense. Braun is a true road grader that dominates in the run game and should open massive holes for Keaontay Ingram and Sam Ehlinger next year. While Braun didn’t play in a traditional offense, he is fully expected to make an immediate impact on the Forty Acres — we’re not buying the redshirt talk right now. Texas did not recruit him to sit out a year. Simple. Expect him to slide in and start at left guard.

Just like a year ago with Calvin Anderson, Texas hit a homerun on the grad transfer market. But Texas didn’t stop there. A day after reeling in Braun, the Longhorns notched a commitment from JUCO offensive lineman Willie Tyler, who might be one of the biggest steals in the country this cycle. Texas actually unearthed Tyler back in December. At the time, Tyler was slated to be part of the 2020 class and held just one offer from Division II program Morehouse College.

UT recruiting assistant Jake Langi first got in contact with Tyler followed by the aforementioned Hand. After some discussion, Tyler decided to accelerate his education and became eligible to graduate in May. Tyler did garner offers from West Virginia, Louisiana Tech and SMU, but Texas is where he wanted to be. The Longhorns built the foundation of his recruitment and closed shortly after extending an official offer.

In Tyler, Texas gets a mammoth prospect (6-7, 330) that can be molded into something truly special down the line. Tyler will have four years to play three in Austin and could turn into a multi-year start at one of the tackle spots. Tom Herman and company scored some major victories during the 2019 recruiting cycle. These two lands were the final cherries on top.

4 hours ago, DontTaseMeBro said:

I feel like I kind of want to tase you, bro.