Texas recruiting notes 2019

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

So if we assume that Garret Wilson is going Buckeye and Elijah Higgins goes Cardinal, what is a realistic WR haul?

Jordan Whittington is in the fold. I think after that it would be Dylan Wright and Jake Smith. Am I missing out any realistic possibilities here?

Jaylen Ellis. We should offer the kid ASAP

Drew could be the worst recruiter on staff. 

Not 1 WR commit last year came here because he made it happen. This year he continues his struggles. He failed to build a relationship with the local guys, Wilson a special talent and Drew is not his dude.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Drew could be the worst coach on staff. 

Not 1 WR commit last year came here because he made it happen. This year he continues his struggles. He failed to build a relationship with the local guys, Wilson a special talent and Drew is not his dude.

Fixed. At least Beck can recruit.

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Drew could be the worst recruiter on staff. 

Alright I'll bite. Who recruited Eagles and Moore (knowing Woodard was part of the Lamar pipeline)?

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Alright I'll bite. Who recruited Eagles and Moore (knowing Woodard was part of the Lamar pipeline)?

We've been over this. By virtue of being Texas, we are always going to be able to pull in some good players. Also, I'm pretty sure Moore comes from a UT legacy family and liked us going back to the Charlie Strong days; we just slow-played him.

But it's becoming increasingly clear which coaches are getting by on the coattails of Herman and the school they're (Mehringer) and which ones are legitimately good recruiters (Washington, Naivar, possibly Hand).

• Like 1

Speaking of WRs... EJ and Roach have said some very good things about Anias (sp?)  Smith from the 7 on 7 tournaments.   He's tiny so maybe it doesn't translate to pads, but I've heard them mention his name a couple of times as someone who dominates the slot in these tournaments.

Horns247 Weekend nuggets: Wilson sets decision; latest on five-star DL

— Let’s start off with the bad news. Elite wide receiver Garrett Wilson is set to make his decision tomorrow night. Right now, I have no reason to switch my Crystal Ball pick from Ohio State. From everything I have been able to gather, the Buckeyes still have the lead in this recruitment. Texas has done its best to push for Wilson, but it looks like the Longhorns will come up short in this one. It would be extremely surprising if Wilson sides with UT tomorrow.

— From talking to sources, it seems like Texas is slipping in the recruitment of four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins. I changed my Crystal Ball to foggy today and feel like the Longhorns might actually be running third right now. Stanford is building a ton of momentum with Higgins and will continue to do so after it hosts him for a visit. And Ohio State seems to be surging in this recruitment as well.

— Now, let’s get on to the good news. According to a source familiar with his recruitment, Texas is squarely in the mix with five-star Honolulu St. Louis (HI) defensive tackle Faatui Tuitele. USC is obviously high on his list, but I’m told Tuitele is really considering playing his college ball in this part of the country. The source said LSU has the best shot of pulling him in right now but added that Alabama and Texas are close behind. Don’t be surprised if he makes an official visit to Texas in the fall. Remember, Tuitele was on campus for an unofficial visit earlier this offseason and really clicked with Texas staffer Jake Langi.

— We haven’t talked about him much, but Texas is still in play for four-star Lutheran North (MO) offensive lineman Jack Buford. He was actually set to make it to the Texas spring game last weekend, but things fell through. Buford, however, did tell me that he plans on making an unofficial visit to Texas at some point in the near future. Oklahoma and Missouri are considered the favorites, but he is one to keep an eye on.

Some of you guys have it backwards.  When you’ve been losing since these recruits were 8 years old you don’t suddenly start reeling in a bunch of five stars even if they are in your back yard.  You have to show you are for real by winning games, and then the players come.    7-6 isn’t good enough.  We need to keep winning more games and as we do that we will win more of these battles and the whole thing will feed on itself.  We appear to be on the right track.  This season is critical to prove we are.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Horns247 Weekend nuggets: Wilson sets decision; latest on five-star DL

Hide contents

— Let’s start off with the bad news. Elite wide receiver Garrett Wilson is set to make his decision tomorrow night. Right now, I have no reason to switch my Crystal Ball pick from Ohio State. From everything I have been able to gather, the Buckeyes still have the lead in this recruitment. Texas has done its best to push for Wilson, but it looks like the Longhorns will come up short in this one. It would be extremely surprising if Wilson sides with UT tomorrow.

— From talking to sources, it seems like Texas is slipping in the recruitment of four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins. I changed my Crystal Ball to foggy today and feel like the Longhorns might actually be running third right now. Stanford is building a ton of momentum with Higgins and will continue to do so after it hosts him for a visit. And Ohio State seems to be surging in this recruitment as well.

— Now, let’s get on to the good news. According to a source familiar with his recruitment, Texas is squarely in the mix with five-star Honolulu St. Louis (HI) defensive tackle Faatui Tuitele. USC is obviously high on his list, but I’m told Tuitele is really considering playing his college ball in this part of the country. The source said LSU has the best shot of pulling him in right now but added that Alabama and Texas are close behind. Don’t be surprised if he makes an official visit to Texas in the fall. Remember, Tuitele was on campus for an unofficial visit earlier this offseason and really clicked with Texas staffer Jake Langi.

— We haven’t talked about him much, but Texas is still in play for four-star Lutheran North (MO) offensive lineman Jack Buford. He was actually set to make it to the Texas spring game last weekend, but things fell through. Buford, however, did tell me that he plans on making an unofficial visit to Texas at some point in the near future. Oklahoma and Missouri are considered the favorites, but he is one to keep an eye on.

Good news on Buford. 

A few points. A) Man some of yall are whiny. B) Some WR cruits are waiting to see if we can put a competent passing game on the field this year with a respectable QB who doesn't just run around in the backfield until someone gets open. C) As already stated we haven't been a winning program in the time these kids have been watching football.

Sure they like Texas and such but some kids have been hearing this is the year Texas is gonna be good for as long as they have been watching football.  If we actually have competent  consistent QB play, a functioning dependable offense, and win some of these guys may change their mind.  But right now they need to see it not hear it.

Point D-Z)  I'm not crying over a dang WR.

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Yeah Wilson's not coming here, Erick Young is commenting on his decision date who is decidedly not a Texas fan. On to the next one. 

So that's the barometer we're using to judge the validity of the commitment - an Erick Young comment on twitter?  If that's the case, and we're using social media, then look at Garrett's latest follows - Kenyatta Watson and Jake Smith.

1 minute ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

So that's the barometer we're using to judge the validity of the commitment - an Erick Young comment on twitter?  If that's the case, and we're using social media, then look at Garrett's latest follows - Kenyatta Watson and Jake Smith.

It's been awhile, let me go find my calculator

Also, May is going to be a very good month for Texas. I'd bet on 5+ commits

6 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

If you take everything from the  995ers and pair it with what I had mentioned is pretty clear, so try not to be such a fuck about a blip of info people may provide. By the way, I loved your work on the OG site.

17 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

If you take everything from the  995ers and pair it with what I had mentioned is pretty clear, so try not to be such a fuck about a blip of info people may provide. By the way, I loved your work on the OG site.

So I guess that means no questions from the audience?  And it's a sports discussion, don't be so f'ing sensitive about your "blips" or whatever the f' you want to call your info.  And if that's what you meant, then say it next time.  And you can OG deez nuts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Clearly I'm not the only one who thought this, or even the first one. But I'll bite. What would be your "angle"?

That they’ll make their own fucking decisions regardless of which QB is committed where Wilson was already going to go to tOSU regardless of Gunnell and Higgins will do what’s best for him not matter the QB in the 2019 class. 

Herman has publicly praised Warehime's recruiting abilities. Yeah, I don't see it either. 

The most likely move in my opinion: Mehringer is s*** canned after the season. Meekins is the inside and outside WR coach. Warehime stays at TE. Herman weaponizes Carrington on the road after the bowl game. After Signing Day,  Herman hires a DL rainmaker to help Giles. Giles probably coaches DEs and the new guy "coaches" DTs, but is really more of a recruiter. 

This is all based on the assumption that Orlando stays. 

If a spot comes available, I would look at Jeff Banks. He was probably the best recruiter on Sumlin's staff and is special teams ace. If he's good enough for Saban, he's qualified. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Herman has publicly praised Warehime's recruiting abilities. Yeah, I don't see it either. 

The most likely move in my opinion: Mehringer is s*** canned after the season. Meekins is the inside and outside WR coach. Warehime stays at TE. Herman weaponizes Carrington on the road after the bowl game. After Signing Day,  Herman hires a DL rainmaker to help Giles. Giles probably coaches DEs and the new guy "coaches" DTs, but is really more of a recruiter. 

This is all based on the assumption that Orlando stays. 

If a spot comes available, I would look at Jeff Banks. He was probably the best recruiter on Sumlin's staff and is special teams ace. If he's good enough for Saban, he's qualified. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Banks-756

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Banks-756/AllTimeRecruits

I'm not seeing anything here with Banks. What would you have him coach here? DTs?

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Banks-756

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Banks-756/AllTimeRecruits

I'm not seeing anything here with Banks. What would you have him coach here? DTs?

Banks in my opinion, would be for special teams and only special teams. I'm just throwing out a name for special teams coordinator down the road. 

Herman likely won't fire Mehringer or Warehime, he will just wait till NSD 2 and not renew their contracts. He basically pulled off the Hand hiring in secret, and it's likely he does something similar again. Beck's contract is through 2019, and Herman might want to replace Mehringer with another play caller and add a dynamic recruiter at TE. 

21 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

Isn’t Mehringer to blame for Hemphill-Mapps as well?  Or was that a grades thing?  

This is one of the few times I actually have an inside source... Reggie knew he was transferring very early in December, about a week after the Tech game. Academics and "he hates it here." Original plan was UH. And no, I don't know what was meant by he hates it here, just what he told this person back then, so I'm not going to speculate on reasons or current feelings. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

It was a mix of factors, including both the coach and RHM himself.

Armanti fucking Foreman was a bigger factor in the RHM bullshit than Coach Skinnyjeans. Fuck that guy.  Mehringer can take a lot of shit but telling those 2 slapdick motherfuckers to show up to meetings on time, take some goddamn reps at practice and not take them at fucking 40% is his goddamn job. I'm surprised either of them finished the season. The roster turnover that's happening now will keep that shit from poisoning the well in the future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Armanti fucking Foreman was a bigger factor in the RHM bullshit than Coach Skinnyjeans. Fuck that guy.  Mehringer can take a lot of shit but telling those 2 slapdick motherfuckers to show up to meetings on time, take some goddamn reps at practice and not take them at fucking 40% is his goddamn job. I'm surprised either of them finished the season. The roster turnover that's happening now will keep that shit from poisoning the well in the future. 

Armanti and Holton are going to be just wonderful together in Minnesota

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

you are correct but I still put blame on mehringer for being a shit.  players absolutely should respect their coaches but some coaches are harder to respect.  with no firsthand knowledge of the situation I’m going to blindly assume that mehringer just sucks that much and it’s hard for the players to respect him and he needs to be fired.  

Anyone watching how we substituted and utlilized receivers situationally would be hard pressed to think we have done a good coach receivers. Not to mention watching a lot of top end players cool on us for completely understandable reasons. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Find something else to do with your lives you bunch of pussies.

THIS! I'm out of rep for the next 24 hours or so, but my god we have the most repetitive group of Debbie Downers/Glums (from "Gulliver's Travels") that I've ever come in contact with in any of the couple of dozen countries I've visited.

There should be a thread for repetitive pissing & moaning. You can post the first cunt-sobbing here, but all repeats (or slight variations) have to be posted on the cunt-sobbing thread.

Take some fucking MIDOL and get a mani-pedi... and quit your fucking repetitive crying.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

So if we assume that Garret Wilson is going Buckeye and Elijah Higgins goes Cardinal, what is a realistic WR haul?

Jordan Whittington is in the fold. I think after that it would be Dylan Wright and Jake Smith. Am I missing out any realistic possibilities here?

I think Herman knows that there are major shortcomings in his coaching staff especially on the offensive side of the ball (Mehringer and Warehime). But it's not the easiest thing to just go out and find an elite WR coach that wants to leave his current situation and come to Texas where things are still unknown. Despite avoiding a total and complete disaster in his first season, he still has little option but to peddle a future that is bright. If you look at it from that view, Herman performed a coup in bringing Hand on board and at initial glance, it appears to be paying dividends in OL recruiting.

Keep the faith, Surly brethren. Texas will close with an elite class after the coming football season which will be an improvement on the last one. 

Whittington and Wright are the core

Jake Smith would mitigate the disaster of losing Wilson, but while we're in his top group, he's by no means a Texas lean 

Ellis and Ainias Smith could be takes, but that's a lot of slots in one class, although Ellis could play more of a Duvernay/Curtis small outside wr role, and Whittington could be an inside/outside guy.

The staff will keep recruiting across the country with exceptional evaluations, and we'll probably land a guy who isn't on the radar yet. If the results on the field are good, we should be able to fill out the WR class easily, although it still might end up being the weakest position group in the class.

Landing Jake Smith would really help this class, but that's a really competitive recruitment. At least we have a shot though. 

We need to get rid of tweedle dee and tweedle dumb on the offensive staff, and bump Beck to WR's coach where he started his career; he's an asset on the recruiting trail 

Edited by Fud

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Whittington and Wright are the core

Jake Smith would mitigate the disaster of losing Wilson, but while we're in his top group, he's by no means a Texas lean 

Ellis and Ainias Smith could be takes, but that's a lot of slots in one class, although Ellis could play more of a Duvernay/Curtis small outside wr role, and Whittington could be an inside/outside guy.

The staff will keep recruiting across the country with exceptional evaluations, and we'll probably land a guy who isn't on the radar yet. If the results on the field are good, we should be able to fill out the WR class easily, although it still me end up being the weakest position group in the class.

Landing Jake Smith would really help this class, but that's a really competitive recruitment. At least we have a shot though. 

We need to get rid of tweedle dee and tweedle dumb on the offensive staff, and bump Beck to WR's coach where he started his career; he's an asset on the recruiting trail 

That is a lot of words to say Tongue, Whittington, Wright and Smith.

Edited by Bevo