Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

40 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Yeah, no.  That's aggie-like talk.  Not every player who prefers another school is secretly trying to get out of their commitment to come to UT.

aggy like talk? That was from the recruiting wrap up of Higdon, my friend...NVM that is aggy like, I stand corrected 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Nothing worse than losing a player to the arrogant domers.  

Again with this shit. I can think of lots of things worse than losing players to Notre Dame. For starters, losing to OU on the field. Losing players to OU. Having a neighbor who graduated form OU. There list goes on and on. 

Just now, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Hope so.

Did he already OV?

I don't think so. Pretty sure both his visits have been unofficial. I know UT writers were saying that us and USC were towards the top, but I'm not sure what other schools would be in the running for his top two.

IT

By: IT Staff

TEAM NEWS

We’re told the chances of Chris Nelson and Devin and Donovan Duvernay returning are much higher than post-Texas Bowl. 

Herman and his staff were diligent in keeping them engaged throughout spring practice and other team activities.

Nelson will graduate next week, and sources say he’s excited about returning and thinks the Texas defensive line could be better than ever in his final campaign. As many as three Longhorn defensive linemen could be selected in next April’s NFL draft - Charles Omenihu, Breckyn Hager, and Chris Nelson. 

NANA OSAFO-MENSAH

Just a short time ago it looked like Texas was going to sweep the Domers for the services of Kenyatta Watson and NaNa Osafo-Mensah. In fact, NaNa even told fellow recruits he was picking Texas. All that changed after his Notre Dame official visit where he gave a silent commit. We were initially given mixed signals regarding that visit but started to receive clarity last week. 

Despite a good visit he characterized as consistently fun, we fully expect the Fort Worth Nolan Catholic player to side with Notre Dame on May 19th.

Personally, I wonder how big of a loss it will appear in a couple of years, but Notre Dame develops well and I suspect he'll end being pretty good. Assuming he does pack his bags for South Bend, this will mean for the time being, UT's 1st and 3rd defensive ends are committed elsewhere, with #2, Marcus Hicks, leaning towards Oklahoma.

POTENTIAL IN-STATE BACK-UP PLANS

The staff will of course continue to prioritize blue-chips but in the last week or so they've still been making the rounds to see less discussed prospects. 

We see it every year where guys emerge with exceptional senior tape and make the leap from borderline offer to must-get. The 2019 in-state defensive line is particularly interesting. I broke it down in early March.

With the NaNa news on the horizon I hollered at a couple who I think might end up as high profile recruits.

Jason Gold, Clear Springs, 6-3, 250: Best offers are TCU and Arkansas. Texas has been in contact recently and to the point he feels he'll eventually receive an offer. 

Gilbert Ibeneme, 6-3, 255: Best offers are OU and TCU. Looks like an offer on tape, especially for this defense. Good fit. Texas went by last week to see him. He thinks an offer will come but they want to see some senior film first. He wants to stay in-state and with his understanding that Texas is being patient he's definitely one to watch. He has much better tape than Osafo-Mensah while carrying 20 more pounds.

MAKIYA TONGUE

The skilled 6-foot-2, 210 pounder from University Lab in Baton Rouge took his official visit to Texas this weekend. He said the trip was "great" and it "exceeded expectations." 

He was hosted by well-liked out-of-state wide receiver Jordan Pouncey. Those two have a lot in common. 

Tongue has UT so high because he knows he'll get his initial opportunity to play wide receiver, but if that doesn't work he's open to moving elsewhere.

A telling quote, about what stood out, was "the bond that all the players and the coaches had. It was really cool.”

It's no surprise the Baton Rouge native enjoyed himself at JMBLYA (concert). That can be an interesting recruiting tool. 

It's hard to get a grasp on who else Tongue likes. When I talk to him he seems to really like Texas. At this time he has no other visit plans and wants to make a decision before his senior season.

TYLER JOHNSON

If it isn't Texas, your guess is as good as mine where the Conroe Oak Ridge offensive tackle will end up. He's always had the feel of a 'Texas kid' and now he's building the strong relationships to bolster it.

He says he's become quite close with Tope Imade after "clicking" at junior day. I asked him about time with Herb Hand and he responded, "just like with Tope, we clicked."

I know the crowd that wants to open Christmas presents on December 5th wants him to commit now, but he's going to wait and Texas is perfectly fine with that.

Bryan Carrington needs to introduce a 'patience' emoji.

FISHER'S NO VISIT POLICY

Does it exist? I'd be remiss if I didn't post A&M writers are saying there is no such policy in place. 

It was my understanding the reason Bobby Wolfe de-committed was because he wasn't allowed to take visits. I also still expect Bobby Wolfe to commit to A&M.

There are some anecdotal bits I've heard as well but I need to check further.

Pressuring a kid to not visit another school is not the same as a no visit policy which is why it's imperative visits stay under the radar for as long as possible.

I'm still hunting information and up against time on an errand, which means I'll have more recruiting stuff later today or in the a.m. 

STATE OF WEEKEND RECRUITING 

When Texas planned this official visit weekend a few months ago, the focus was to accentuate the positives of not only the budding football program and ever-growing collection of talent, but to provide each recruit an opportunity to bask in the glow of the live music capital of this the world. JYMBLA did the trick. 

When Tyler Johnson, DeMarvin Leal, and NaNa Osafo-Mensah went to see some of the nation’s top musicians - J Cole, T.I., Bun B - it was eye-opening. For NaNa, it was his first concert. They were joined by Caden Sterns, Denzel Okafor, Tope Imade, Charles Omenihu, Cam Rising, and others. The concert gave the recruits a small glance into the life of Austin, Texas. The staff is using everything the school and city offers to show just how special UT can be. It goes beyond the football field. It's a global brand with opportunities around every corner. That and the family aspect were the themes to the weekend festivities. 

On Johnson, it was business as usual. The fact he favors Texas didn't change this weekend. If anything, it furthered the notion he'll be UT-bound. Cameron Rising made it a point to focus on Tyler, letting him know how much he'll need a big-time tackle in the trenches. 

On DeMarvin Leal, he was accompanied by his mother and father, who has recently entered the picture. After a couple staffers saw Leal at Converse Judson twice last week, this OV was put in the works. He was able to hang out with Oscar Giles, some defensive linemen, and even soak up some lake time. Sterns was the point man here. With both being from San Antonio and giving early pledges to SEC schools, the two have a lot in common.

Texas didn't pressure Leal in the slightest. They gave him and his family a lot to think about. They made sure DeMarvin understood that despite his verbal to A&M, they would continue to recruit him as hard as ever, and wouldn't stop until NSD. Leal's mother remains a key here. She's fond of the Texas staff and feels comfortable with the idea DeMarvin could wind up in Austin. It'll be DeMarvin's decision, but the family aspect is very notable here. Of note, Jason Washington's involvement here is huge, as he's familiar with one of the coaches on Judson's staff. 

Again, this recruitment is in the infancy stages. Buckle up. 

We'll see Leal at Judson’s spring practice this week. 

On Brayden Liebrock, I caught up with the Arizona tight end this morning. It was brief but he told me the visit went great and the UT staff gave him and his family a lot to think about. Texas is making him a priority, and despite the impressive offer list, Arizona State is the school with the slight advantage as of today. 

On Marcus Banks missing this weekend...Leah Banks-Meeks, his mother, has said not to read into not making the trip. It was her birthday and they just wanted to be with family. He’s supposed to return in June, where he'll likely see the Horns around the time he visits LSU. That could be a big month for the 4-star CB from Spring DeKaney. 

On Bryce Young, the nation's top dual-threat signal-caller from California, it was another opportunity to see the sights and sounds of the ATX. It was his third trip, and the 5-star from Mater Dei can see himself fitting in the Texas offense. He also visited Norman on Saturday, checking out the Sooners. I feel as if USC leads here, but for a kid that won't sign for two years, UT is building the relationship. 

In conclusion, Texas and Tom Herman are playing the long game. No pressure tactics, just planting seeds and watering when necessary. 

Less than a week into May and Texas has two new additions - Kenyatta Watson II and graduate transfer running back Tre Watson.

MALIK HORNSBY AND THE RANGE

The 2020 quarterback from Austin High in Houston was going to blow up with offers at some point, sooner or later. Well, it’s sooner. 

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound dual-threat is enjoying the fruits of his labor. Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi State offered last week, and Texas is in pursuit. 

“Yes, I saw (Texas OC) coach Beck today,” said Hornsby, after his practice last week. “Strongly considering Texas, yes, and I’ve been up (Austin) a couple of times too. I enjoyed it.”

Hornsby hopes to make UT's summer camp in June and possibly take some more visits. The key here is that Texas has been on him for months now and that foundation is laid. 

Don't be surprised if he's at 20+ offers before he takes a junior snap. 

LANGSTON ANDERSON

Texas has always known about Midlothian Heritage WR Langston Anderson, and at 6-foot-3 and growing, UT is a little more than interested. 

“I am hearing more from them,” said Langston. “(Texas) really likes me. Ever since they have stopped by and saw me, we’ve spoke more. I was super pumped to see them last week and even more excited after seeing me in person do routes and stuff.”

Anderson has all the tools, but didn't have the junior year he desired. He's putting in work this offseason to make sure his senior campaign turns heads. 

“Ole Miss, Texas Tech and Nebraska," said Anderson, on schools that stand out. "Also Arizona. Those stick out as far as offers right now and Illinois.”

What about a Texas offer? 

“I’ll put out a Top 10 this summer,” Langston explains. “And hopefully I have all the offers I want by then.”

Texas could be one.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

OB War Room:

. Well, the recruitment of Cal grad transfer running back Tre Watson became a little weird over the weekend. Watson has a close relationship with Texas Tech offensive line coach Brandon Jones, who previously coached running backs at Cal from 2015-16, which is why he has not committed to Texas. If Watson is not convinced he can have an impact at Texas after watching the spring game in person, it is hard to tell what he is looking for.

I know I said I will announce my commitment today, but I am not ready at this time. I am going to take another day at least to really evaluate the different options. One thing I can say is that I will be living in Texas.

·        270 people are talking about this

No. 5 - Introducing, your new starting running back ...

Confession time.

I wasn't really blown away by the prospect of Tre Watson signing with the Longhorns when the possibility was first mentioned. On some level, we're talking about a guy that couldn't win a job at Cal.

Yet, as time has rolled on, the spring game has taken place and I've done a little more studying on the guy outside of just looking at stats and recalling what he looked like in a glance against Texas, I've taken about a 167-degree turn on the guy for the following reasons.

a. He's a totally different type of running back than the guys that the Longhorns currently having on campus. Honestly, he reminds me of the type of running back that typically gains 1,200 all-purpose yards for Texas Tech on an annual basis. He's less of an every-down back and more of a guy that you give the ball to 15-18 times a game, including at least five or six in the passing game in a variety of ways. You want this guy in space as much as possible and that's not exactly the first thing you say about Toneil Carter or Daniel Young. His arrival diversifies the skill set of the position immediately.

b. I can't explain the situation at Cal, but this kid is talented. As I mentioned, Watson can make guys miss and he can make plays in a variety of roles. He kind of reminds me of a poor man's Hodges Mitchell, who would have been an even better college player than he already was if he had arrived 20 years later to the college game than he did.

Bottom line - I think the Texas football team just acquired a player that could prove to be critically important for this team. If he's healthy and not on the field on every third down passing situation that the team has this year, the coaches won't be doing their jobs right.

2. The best part about Converse Judson defensive end DeMarvin Leal visiting Austin this weekend is seeing the young man giving Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher’s unwritten rule about committed prospects not being able to visit other schools a middle finger. Here is what Fisher said in an interview two months ago:

“I always ask them this: When you’re getting married and she says she’s going to marry you and then she says she wants to go on two more dates,” Fisher said, smiling. “Are you going to let her?”

“If he’s still visiting [other schools], you better have a plan because there’s something there.”

Heck, even Charlie Strong knew players who verbally commit were just making reservations and would still explore their options.

Well, under Fisher’s rationale, he should start developing a new plan when it comes to Leal.

Some quick-hitter notes on this weekend’s visitors …

--- Fort Worth Nolan Catholic defensive end/linebacker Nana Osafo-Mensah tells me it was a very good visit, including the time spent with the other players and recruits. He described the weekend as “awesome” and said he “loved all of it” when asked about the visit. So who leads coming out of this visit?

“It’s still 50/50 for me, honestly,” Osafo-Mensah said.

I asked him about some of the things he mentioned to me prior to the visit (his parents’ input, the culture at Texas, etc). He told me his parents really liked the visit, including the tour they got of the McCombs School of Business.

There has been a lot of buzz about Notre Dame of late and I do know that there were some (mostly other recruits) who thought after his N.D. visit that the Irish led, but Osafo-Mensah has maintained that it’s a dead heat between the Longhorns and the Irish. Osafo-Mensah will decide on May 19. Again, N.D. insiders remain confident but I can’t say I have a great read on what Osafo-Mensah is thinking other than what he’s specifically told me – that he’s still torn and he won’t have a decision until he talks things over with his family, his coaches and prays on it.

--- Five-star corner 
Derek Stingley Jr. said it was a really good visit. He really liked getting to know Jason Washington better, seeing the new facilities and experiencing the city of Austin.

Stingley said this visit “bumped (Texas) up a little bit.” He’s going to drop a top three very soon. Yes, the Longhorns will be in there.

As expected, no real fireworks in this one but Texas did a very good job this weekend and increased its chances of landing the nation’s top cornerback.

--- 
DeMarvin Leal has been very quiet since his visit wrapped up (not a surprise … he wanted it kept under wraps that he was on campus for as long as possible). One person did tell me it seemed like Leal was really enjoying himself on the visit.

Leal is committed to Texas A&M, of course, and the thought from people behind the scenes on this one wasn’t about getting him to flip his commitment this weekend. It was more about just showing him what Texas had to offer, getting him to keep an open mind and laying the foundation that could help Texas chip away in the coming months. Long way to go in this one but just the fact that Texas was able to get him on campus is pretty telling that Leal is keeping an open mind.

Oh by the way, Leal's father did start a Twitter account and most of his early follows are UT related, if that means anything.

--- I exchanged a few texts with Makiya Tongue (hoping to get more from him tonight) and he told me it was a great visit. Texas was a major player in this one before the visit (Tongue had already been on campus for an unofficial visit) and this weekend should only help the Longhorns’ chances.

--- Tyler Johnson is always a man of few words but no need to panic there … Texas is in a good spot here. We should be able to get more from him in the next day or two. He did retweet this from Tope Imade, for what it’s worth …

Felt more like a family vacation than an official visit weekend 💯

·        47 people are talking about this

--- I haven’t heard much on tight end Brayden Liebrock yet. Got someone else trying to help me track down an update here. Even one person who spent time around the recruits told me he didn’t really have a read on Liebrock. This was his second visit so there’s obviously a sincere interest in Texas, but I haven’t heard much on the official visit. I’ll keep working on that one.

Edited by Scholz

59 minutes ago, Nope said:

It seems like the December signing day has a lot of the top guys wanting to shut it down before football season starts.

That was predicted by recruitniks back in the late days of 2017. That's why so many recruits have already taken many of their official visits already... the whole recruiting cycle has changed due to the early signing period.