Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Per TFLoss, the brainiacs are saying Elijah Higgins is currently on campus.

Would really be nice to get back in it with Higgins. He's a unique talent. He's visited campus plenty, so I'm not sure what effect this will have, but I guess it's better than not having him on campus. lulz.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Would really be nice to get back in it with Higgins. He's a unique talent. He's visited campus plenty, so I'm not sure what effect this will have, but I guess it's better than not having him on campus. lulz.

I am curious to see how we manage his recruitment, we should have him camp and compete IMO. I like all the recent offers more than him as a take.

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

I am curious to see how we manage his recruitment, we should have him camp and compete IMO. I like all the recent offers more than him as a take.

I hate to bring this word up on this thread, because I know what can happen. 

But maybe the "Stanford" thing aint working out for him. I havent heard of him being accepted yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

I hate to bring this word up on this thread, because I know what can happen. 

But maybe the "Stanford" thing aint working out for him. I havent heard of him being accepted yet.

Seems like a lot of kids looking at the furd don’t get accepted until late in the recruiting cycle. Kids that aren’t straight A students have to sweat it out a little. 

I think the Stanford coaching staff has learned to ask some commits to stay silent if they aren’t pretty sure about acceptance, so they don’t have a rash of public decommits later in the cycle that nobody will explain. I wonder how the December signing period has affected them. 

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Seems like a lot of kids looking at the furd don’t get accepted until late in the recruiting cycle. Kids that aren’t straight A students have to sweat it out a little. 

I think the Stanford coaching staff has learned to ask some commits to stay silent if they aren’t pretty sure about acceptance, so they don’t have a rash of public decommits later in the cycle that nobody will explain. I wonder how the December signing period has affected them. 

I’m guess they get them on campus just to make sure they pass the Dexter Manley test.

Regardless, Tree is something else...  in the year 2018 they can leverage an 18 year old highly recruited high school kid with the education/career path pitch.

touche m’fkrs, you are the last of dying tribe that actually still speaks some real “student athlete”

26 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

I’m guess they get them on campus just to make sure they pass the Dexter Manley test.

Regardless, Tree is something else...  in the year 2018 they can leverage an 18 year old highly recruited high school kid with the education/career path pitch.

touche m’fkrs, you are the last of dying tribe that actually still speaks some real “student athlete”

I grew up a split Cal/UT fan but how can you say no to a pretty much guaranteed 6-figure VC job if you're remotely intelligent? The tree has an unfortunately excellent sales pitch. 

• Like 1

Higgins is using us as his backup school imo. I don't mind keeping the seat warm in case Stanford doesn't work out for him, but I wouldn't waste any resources on him that could be better used elsewhere, like our last few OVs this summer.

The staff is handling this right, they had him for an unofficial, but they rebuffed his attempt to get an OV and have offered several other WRs in the last week or two.

EJ after dark: Texas pushing hard for committed targets

— Texas is still pushing for Texas A&M defensive tackle commit DeMarvin Leal. UT cornerbacks coach Jason Washington saw him last week and has been working hard on his mother as well. I am told that she still loves the Texas program and the staff and wants to make it back to campus soon, so don’t be surprised if Leal pops back up in Austin this summer. I’m also told Leal plans to visit other schools as well as he continues to explore opportunities. 

— As we reported earlier this week, Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell is really weighing his options and is ‘iffy’ with his pledge to the Ducks. The aforementioned Washington has been in constant contact with Caldwell, and I’m told that he is leaning towards siding with the Longhorns at this time. From everything I have been able to gather, I would expect a decision to flip or stick to come in the very near future.

— If for whatever reason Texas is unable to flip Caldwell — I think they’ll get him onboard — a name to keep an eye on is three-star Little Elm cornerback Brandon Crossley. The Longhorns have evaluated him, and he will be at the satellite camp in Dallas this weekend. Crossley holds 11 offers, including one from TCU.

— Another underrated prospect in D-FW to keep an eye on is Keller Fossil Ridge wide receiver Jaylen Hearst. I’m told the Longhorns are evaluating him and that he should be in attendance at the Dallas satellite camp this weekend. Hearst holds 16 offers from the likes of Arizona State, Georgia, Kansas, Nebraska and Texas Tech.

Jeff Howe: Texas again showing ability to maximize, manage recruiting cycle

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — the way Tom Herman and his staff can maximize a recruiting cycle is unlike anything Texas has had from a coaching staff in a long time, if ever. When it comes to handling the ebbs and flows of modern recruiting, Herman, the assistant coaches and support staff have performed at an elite level when it comes to establishing relationships and getting high-level prospects to come to campus time and again. The 2018 cycle proved that the staff can get the job done when it comes to delivering the kind of class needed to be able to compete for national championships. Finishing the cycle with the No. 3-ranked class in the country according to 247Sports and having it loaded with potential difference-making pieces among every position group on the roster qualifies as the kind of elite class on which to build a championship foundation.

What Herman and Co. are showing with the 2019 class is that even with the stakes raised and the competition getting stiffer — Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher changing the in-state landscape, Oklahoma coming off of another Big 12 title and national powers Alabama and Ohio State continuing to make Texas a priority on the recruiting trail — the Longhorns are getting their share of top targets while maintaining the pace set in the previous cycle.

Keaontay Ingram committed to Texas on May 30, 2017. When Ingram pulled the trigger, the running back who is now on campus going through summer workouts with the Longhorns was the ninth verbal commitment earned in the cycle by Herman and the staff. Four of the nine verbal commitments at the time were from outside the state of Texas: Justin Watkins (Florida) was the first commitment in the class, Cameron Rising (California) and Casey Thompson (Oklahoma) committed last May and Ron Tatum (Oklahoma) committed in late April. Texas held onto Rising and Thompson (both enrolled in January and went through spring practice) while Watkins and Tatum eventually signed with their home-state flagship programs.

All five of the recruits from the state of Texas who were committed at this time last year signed with the Longhorns: Ingram, Caden Sterns, Byron Hobbs, Reese Moore and Cameron Dicker. The nine-member haul has Texas, at the time, the No. 13 overall class in the country and the top class in the Big 12 (DeMarvion Overshown committed on May 31 to bring the class total to 10). One year later the Longhorns have an eight-man haul that ranks 15th nationally and No. 2 in the conference.

Similar to last cycle, Texas got to the aforementioned class size and marks thanks to landing Conroe Oak Ridge five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson and Temple sleeper tight end Jared Wiley over Memorial Day weekend. The class features three out-of-state recruits (De'Gabriel Floyd from California, Brayden Liebrock from Arizona and Kenyatta Watson II from Georgia) to go along with an in-state quarterback (Roschon Johnson), athlete (Jordan Whittington) and defensive lineman T’Vondre Sweat.

Texas has been able to mirror the successful cycle without really changing the core of what the Longhorns want to do throughout the recruiting process. Last spring, everything seemed like it was gradually building toward the run of commitments that eventually jumped in the boat over the summer. Junior days, spring practices, the spring game and the spring evaluation period were events that didn’t seem to have any more importance placed on them compared with each other.

The work of the staff to slowly build buzz hit a crescendo with the Texas Heat Wave pool party. Heading into the pool party on June 17, Texas picked up commitments from Ayodele Adeoye and B.J. Foster — Brennan Eagles, Jalen Green and Al’vonte Woodard committed in July while Keondre Coburn, Rafiti Ghirmai and Malcolm Epps sided with the Longhorns in August.

The staff is sure to have something big planned for this summer. Based on the reception the Longhorns have gotten from recruits and how the staff, in many respects, has managed to weather the storm through the spring when the Aggies and Sooners were getting commitments from their top targets, Texas could be in line for another summer windfall before the 2018 season begins. Even with the new car smell gone from the intrigue surrounding Herman’s debut, Texas has found a way to manage a recruiting cycle from start to finish that’s once again getting results.

Just for kicks, aggy is the first sec school st 71-80. But to be fair, Texas is the only big 12 school in the top 80 as well. 
Pac and b1g and acc plenty represented. 

Probably an online voting portion that contributes to the rankings. Aggy came in first there so it bumped them way up.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-weekend-june-1st-3rd/

– Most of the 2018 class is on campus and on time. DeMarvion Overshown couldn’t make it in on time and will be moving in this weekend. Still, nothing went wrong this year. Impressive to say the least. – (Will)

– I caught up with Camden Fairview (AR) Offensive Tackle Stacey Wilkins recently. He is one of Texas’ top targets at the offensive tackle position. There was some talk he was going to take an official visit to Texas in the Spring but that didn’t happen. He now has set his official visit date to Texas, and it’s a big one.

Wilkins will take his official visit to Texas when the Longhorns host USC on the weekend of September 15th. That is a weekend where Tom Herman could get his first signature win as the UT head coach.

Right now, the two other official visits Wilkins has set are to Arkansas on June 13th, and LSU on June 22nd. Expect the final two official visits to go to the group of USC, Alabama, and Oklahoma. – (Andrew)

– The Longhorns recently offered 2019 ATH Peyton Powell out of Odessa (TX) Permian High School.

Powell is a 6’2″ 182 lb athlete who currently holds offers from Ohio State, Nebraska, and Arkansas among a dozen or so others.

I was able to briefly catch up with Peyton and he let me know that Coach Mehringer extended him the offer as an “Athlete”. I knew he had received an offer from Nebraska at Quarterback, so I asked him if that was his position of preference heading to the next level, and he said “I have no preference, whatever gives me the best chance of getting on the field and succeeding”.

Powell let me know that he will be taking most of his visits during the season, and Texas will certainly be in consideration for an official as he said “It’s is a very big offer for me”.

In regards to his recruitment he let me know that Ohio State, Virginia, Baylor and Georgia Tech are coming at him “pretty hard” right now.

Powell would provide a nice target at Wide Receiver as he is well versed in all facets of the offensive side of the ball, and if Texas chooses to push here, I feel like there is a very real chance that they could quickly position themselves at, or very near, the top of his list. – (Charlie)

– Earlier this month, Texas hosted 2019 Texas A&M DE commit, DeMarvin Leal. After things settled down, I was able to speak to Leal’s mother about Texas, Texas A&M, and their recruitment in general.

I unfortunately, misplaced my notes but I’ll go through the things that stood out to me about the conversation.

*First, while I have heard first hand accounts of the TAMU staff pressuring some recruits to commit, this was not one of those cases. Leal’s mother made it clear that, though she was surprised by the abrupt commitment, the commitment was just as much a surprise to the TAMU staff.

*Before the Leal’s took the OV to Texas, they did let Texas A&M know. Leal’s mother said Texas A&M wasn’t exactly thrilled about the idea, but it’s just something that the Leal family feels is best and there probably isn’t a ton TAMU can do.

*The family still loves Texas. In fact I remember one of the first things Leal’s mother saying was, “it’s always a good time with those guys (at UT)”. DeMarvin visited TAMU for their spring game and you have to wonder if it would’ve made a difference if Texas’ had their Spring Game first and had the first crack at Leal.

*While Leal’s mom said on multiple occasions with regards to Texas A&M and Texas that, “Marvin is committed to Texas A&M”, it’s early and they are going through the process.

– After talking to a source, we can confirm that 2019 Wide Receiver target, Elijah Higgins was in Austin and on campus for an unofficial visit on Thursday.

As Super K mentioned earlier in the week, there was a chance that Higgins would take an official visit this weekend, but due to some conflicts that was not able to come to fruition. Having him make his way to campus for an unofficial is still a very good sign for a player that appeared to be drifting away from Texas.

We will keep you updated on the visit – (Charlie)

– Earlier this month, Texas offered 2019 Oregon CB commit, Marques Caldwell (Alvin, TX).

I’ve seen Caldwell in person and I really like this offer. Caldwell is a blanket. He’s listed at 6’1 but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s even taller. Imagining a combination of Caldwell on one side and Watson on the other, that’s a pair of NFL looking CBs.

I spoke with Caldwell’s father, recently.

*Caldwell announced the offer on a Friday (a couple weeks back). Coach Washington had stopped by to see him the Monday before and the staff had already made the decision to offer.

*Caldwell’s father was excited about the offer. They are Texas people and Texas fans. But he wasn’t ready to say Texas was a clear leader. He said, “Texas is right there with Oregon, they’re next to each other”.

*Oregon is trying hard to hold on to Caldwell. Caldwell has an official visit set to Oregon for the end of June. Thus far, Marques has actually only been to Oregon once.

*The current plan is to take all five official visits in the summer and then make a decision before the end of the summer. In terms of an exact time, according to his father, Marques could announce at any time.

*Smart money is probably on Texas, but Texas only has two spring/summer official visits remaining, I don’t know if they’re going to be able to use that on an in-state kid. It’ll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

*Caldwell has visited Texas, unofficially, on multiple occasions. – (Super K)

*They will visit Alabama for an official visit in June.

*Additionally Leal’s mother said that there is very much a possibility that they will attend games in the fall.

*In other words, Texas is going to get their shot to continue to recruit DeMarvin. Whether it will make a difference or not remains to be seen. Leal’s mother said she will support DeMarvin whatever he decides but it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, Alabama or a visit to Clemson could have. Leal’s mother, like most Texas mothers, would prefer Leal stay in state and I get the sense she has a fondness for UT. But I wouldn’t be surprised if a visit to a place like Bama or Clemson will muddy the waters a bit. – (Super K)