Ty Evans (Colorado commit)
Brian Maurer
Cade McNamara (Michigan commit)
Graham Mertz (Wisconsin commit)
Dylan Morris (Washington commit)
Ryan Hilinski (South Carolina commit)
Sam Howell (Florida State commit)
Taulia Tagovailoa (Alabama commit)

We ever look at Max? I don’t recall the staff going after him at all.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

We ever look at Max? I don’t recall the staff going after him at all.

Not that I recall. @angelos's frog had a good writeup about him on the non_UT recruiting thread when he committed to TCU. Cumbie needs to hurry up and become a HC. That guy's recruiting way too well at the QB position for the frogs.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The twelve QBs that made the Elite 11 (source😞

Spencer Rattler (Potential A&M commit)

Bo Nix (Potential A&M commit)

Jayden Daniels (Potential A&M commit)

Max Duggan (Potential A&M commit)

Ty Evans (Potential A&M commit)

Brian Maurer (Potential A&M commit)

Cade McNamara (Potential A&M commit)

Graham Mertz (Potential A&M commit)

Dylan Morris (Potential A&M commit)

Ryan Hilinski (Potential A&M commit)

Sam Howell (Potential A&M commit)

Taulia Tagovailoa (Potential A&M commit)

Perroni fify

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Not that I recall. @angelos's frog had a good writeup about him on the non_UT recruiting thread when he committed to TCU. Cumbie needs to hurry up and become a HC. That guy's recruiting way too well at the QB position for the frogs.

Barton Simmons says Duggan was the most athletic QB there.   Duggan's official testing results at the Ohio Elite 11 were 4.58/40, 33.0 in. Vert./, 4.10 pro agility and 42.0 ft. pwr. ball toss.  He also ran a 21.65 200M in the Iowa state meet.

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Where are we getting the 4.37 for Smith?  I mean he looks fast on tape, but that is truly elite if legit.  He didn't go to the Opening. 

I don't think it's legit. I don't think he's gone to any camp-type setting where they timed 40s, so definitely take with a grain of salt. 

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Where are we getting the 4.37 for Smith?  I mean he looks fast on tape, but that is truly elite if legit.  He didn't go to the Opening. 

Per his high school coach, which means it's not legit 

IT

We hit the satellite camp scene and Texas landed a nationally-recruited wide receiver this weekend. We talk about prospects on UT's radar and new visitors this week. Get some Scoop on a Monday.

RECRUITING MOOD

I've got some notes on a few of UT's top targets and latest verbal. Here goes.

On Jake Smith....The 4-star dubbed White Lightning pulled the trigger on Saturday and, after calling USC coach Clay Helton to decline the Trojans offer, he announced on Sunday evening. Like we'd written, this was a foregone conclusion for almost two months. Smith instantly adds a legit playmaker at wide receiver for the Texas program. Two WRs down, I expect UT to add two more. West Mesquite's Dylan Wright feels right, but that fourth spot is up for grabs. We'll know more about that last spot in the next few months. Maybe UT can convince Elijah Higgins to stay home...more on that later.

On Javonne Shepherd....As I reported this weekend, the 5-star offensive tackle from Houston North Forest will take an UOV to Austin this week, most likely on Tuesday. The Aggies tried to get Shepherd on campus last weekend, but he wasn't interested. Instead, he'll hit the ATX and see UT staffers including Herb Hand, who is doing a tremendous job on the elite o-lineman. Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and A&M seem to be his defacto Top 4. It'll come down to the Horns and Crimson Tide for his services, IMO.

On Malik Hornsby....The 2020 signal-caller from Austin High in Houston will make it back to the 40 Acres for the first time since his offer. He's set to perform at UT's summer camp on Tuesday and tells me he's excited to get back to the state's capitol. The staff will get the opportunity to see him throw in their settings. As for the Hudson Card commitment, it doesn't seem to phase Hornsby in the least. Like we've mentioned here, he's a Longhorn fan with connections to the staff - his HS coach also coached Bryan Carrington, Texas' Director of Recruiting. This is trending exactly like it should.

On Marques Caldwell...The 6-foot-1, 180-pound CB from Alvin and Oregon pledge might be the next verbal to drop. He's taking a little time to line things up but my best guess says it shouldn't be too much longer. Caldwell is aware Texas won't wait forever. He either jumps in the boat or the staff will move on. That's enough motivation for a kid that really likes Texas. I like Marques.

On Elijah Higgins...The other top wideout in the 512, Higgins, stopped by the campus last week to say 'Hi'. On Friday, he'll take a full UOV with his family. The big, 4-star took an official to Stanford a couple of weeks ago and came away thrilled with the Palo Alto program. But home is home, and UT is trying new angles to convince the Austin Bowie product his best future takes place at DKR. I feel like Stanford still holds the advantage today, but don't tell the Texas staff. They want him and are putting everything into getting him. Stay tuned.

SATELLITE/SUMMER CAMPS

Camp season offers us a look into the coach's evaluations. Texas goes full throttle at these events. It's a joy watching Herb Hand teach technique to young offensive linemen, and Oscar Giles does a great job with d-linemen, demanding proper foot placement, use of hands, and angles to take collapsing gaps or the edge. It's also an example of how active these coaches are during camp season. Check out the schedule:

June 1st - St. Louis (MO)
June 2nd - Marshall (TX)
June 3rd - Dallas (TX)
June 5th - Austin (TX) (on campus)
June 7th - Houston (TX)
June 7th - San Marcos (TX)
June 8th - Los Angeles (CA)
June 9th - Houston (TX)
June 9th - Commerce (TX) (A&M @ Commerce, 42 schools including Alabama)
June 10th - Austin (TX)
June 10th - Los Angeles (CA)

That's a lot of prospects to evaluate. There were over 700 at ETBU in Marshall on Saturday. After a pair of Texas-attended satellite camps last weekend, here's who caught UT's attention.

TQ Jackson, Jefferson - WR (2019): I'm sorry, Mr. Jackson. Texas should have probably already offered the 6-foot-4, 190-pounder, who broke off a 4.46 (40) and 35" vertical on Saturday. He's tallied over 2,000 yards and 23 TDs in two seasons for the Bulldogs. Sources close to the team say he could've been offered before the three who got offers two weekends ago - Jaylen Ellis, Langston Anderson, and Peyton Powell. Jackson holds almost 20 offers, including Arkansas, TCU, Minnesota, Arizona, Missouri, Arizona State, and Purdue. Don't be surprised if he visits Austin again, he was on campus during Junior Day Weekend in late February.

Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove - DE (2021): Jackson had a freshman year to remember. He moved from Gilmer to PG at the beginning of 9th grade and helped Pleasant Grove to its 3A DII state championship in December. At 6-foot-5, 223 pounds, he's got the ideal frame, shoulders, and athleticism to dominate at the D1 level. His father, who is 6-foot-8, played college basketball at Texas A&M and professionally overseas for five years, while his mother stands 6-foot. A lot of recruitniks have him destined for College Station, but he says that's not the case.

"I like A&M, but I really like Arkansas and Miami," said Jackson, who visited UT last spring. "Texas is up there too. I talk to those guys when I can and am very interested in what they are building."

I can see a Texas offer in his future but there's no rush. He still hasn't played a sophomore snap.

JJ Sparkman, Longview Pine Tree - WR (2020): It took a little while, but after Saturday, Sparkman is no longer a secret. After his performance at the ETCA Combine two weeks ago, Iowa State was the first offer for the 6-foot-4, 175-pound pass-catcher. After Saturday's event, Arkansas extended an offer as well. He'll net 25+ offers over the next 18 months based off pure talent and size. He's got elite body control, who is also an All-ETX basketball player. I coached JJ's uncle over 15 years ago, so height and athleticism run in the family. Texas liked what they watched at ETBU. He's already been on the 40 Acres once. I'd bet he'll return soon.

Savion Williams, Marshall - WR (2020): While the C/O 2019 might be down in East Texas, the 2020 class will return the region to glory. Williams is one reason why. At 6-foot-5, he's got a special set of skills only Liam Neeson could relate to. Marshall HC Claude Mathis, who lauds the Texas staff for its efforts in the region, told me Savion could be the best WR he's ever coached. That's high praise from a veteran in the TX HS football ranks. He already holds offers from Bowling Green, Southern Miss, and Texas State, and an Arkansas offer could happen any minute now. During 1-on-1s, he didn't disappoint. His speed, agility, and ability to high point the football was borderline unfair to the campers on Saturday. Best part; Texas now knows him.

Jacarrion Green, Marshall - QB (2020): Known as 'JJ' to his family and teammates, Green is the top dual-threat in the area and one to watch in-state for 2020. Ole Miss, Nebraska, and Texas State have already offered the 6-foot-2, 170-pound quarterback. He accounted for over 2500+ total yards and 24 TDs in his first season on the varsity. Even though UT has its sights set on Hudson Card and Malik Hornsby, Green is one to watch. TCU, Arkansas, Texas Tech, and LSU have been in contact.

Herbert Gums, Diboll - RB/DL (2020): At 6-foot-2, 245, the big man from the piney woods came to camp to play running back, but his future is on the defensive line, per sources close to the Texas staff. He's got some Henry Melton, Lamaar Houston, Chris Whaley to his game; ball-carriers who moved to the d-line to maximize their potential. He doesn't have the lateral quickness for linebacker, but is as strong as a bull, so you put 40-50 pounds on him and teach him the 3-tech. He's really under the radar, offer wise, only holding Houston and SFA invitations. He's set to attend a dozen camps this summer for some much-needed exposure. Texas is keeping its eyes on him.

Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage - DB (2020): The little brother of Texas RB Keaontay Ingram, Dixon is already taller and faster. That's probably why he's destined for CB or safety. He ran a 4.5 (40) and 4.1 (shuttle) on Saturday, so the talent gene didn't skip him in an athletic household. Texas and TCU recruit him the hardest, but after Saturday, that offer list will only increase. He's set to attend one of UT's on-campus camps this month. I'd like to see more of him at corner, because he looks similar to another ETX DB from the C/O 2015, Texas' Kris Boyd. He's got some of that dog too.

Myles Price, The Colony - WR (2020): Almost the entire Texas staff was in Dallas last night for the SMU camp. Besides obvious take, Dylan Wright, a few guys stood out. Price is one of them. At 5-foot-9, 160 pounds, Price ran a 4.38 (40) and 4.09 (shuttle) at TCU's mini-camp last week. So they offered. Price caught the attention of the Texas staff as well, as he looks to be an ideal slot receiver. With times like that, it's only a matter of time before more schools come calling.

Kyron Cumby, Plano - RB (2019): Texas might want two tailbacks for 2019, and with Noah Cain at the top of the Big Board, an all-purpose back with speed would be an ideal RB2. Meet Cumby, all 5-foot-7, 165 pounds of him. The Metroplex RB holds a dozen offers including Washington State, Colorado, BYU, Illinois, Iowa State, and San Diego State. He's got incredible feet, great burst, and elusive in the open field. He's a name to store away until later in this recruiting cycle.

Elijah Yelverton, Bishop Dunne - TE (2020): The guy that really caught the Texas staff's attention was the Bishop Dunne tight end product. While the tape won't blow you away, the potential might. The Bishop Dunne pipeline to Texas has never really formulated yet, but the junior tight end could change that.

At 6-foot-5, 225-pounds, he holds over a dozen offers, and after his SMU Satellite Camp performance, he might get a Texas invitation. They noticed.

“It was great, got some good work in," said Yelverton. "And it was good to finally talk to the coaches in person especially coach Herman. I don’t know much (about Texas) but we’re definitely keeping in touch.”

Any schools stand out this early?

“It’s too early to pick out favorites, but a Texas offer would be amazing," Yelverton said. "It would really mean a lot and I’d definitely be excited. We’ve already checked out Texas A&M, Arkansas, Iowa, and Oklahoma State. Seeing Austin would be great."

He definitely caught the staff's attention.

Edited by Machinator

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Commitment-analysis-Scottsdale-Notre-Dame-Prep-four-star-wide-receiver-Jake-Smith-to-the-Texas-Longhorns-118775027

Blair Angulo: Commitment analysis: WR Jake Smith

PLAYER PROFILE: Jake Smith

POSITION: Wide receiver

HEIGHT: 6-1

WEIGHT: 189

RECRUITMENT: The four-star receiver announced his commitment to the Texas Longhorns on Sunday evening following his official visit to Austin. Smith took an official to USC last month yet Texas, where he had been to twice this year before his official this past weekend, captured his heart from the moment he stepped foot on campus.

“To me, it’s the complete package,” Smith said. “I love the city of Austin. I love the football tradition they have and I love the coaches there. I love coach Tom Herman and coach Tim Beck, and everything they are about. I really think they’re building that program back up into a national championship contender.

“When I was there for the spring game, it just felt like home. Everything stood out to me and I really loved it there. Coach Beck and I have just built a great relationship over the past few months and talked every day. Sometimes it’s not about football — I texted him on the day of his 21st wedding anniversary to congratulate him. We talk about life and football a lot. He’s the main guy, but I have also been in contact with coach Bryan Carrington a lot and regularly with coach Herman.”

SCOUTING REPORT: Smith is an electric playmaker with speed, quickness and the route-running ability that should make him a major asset in Herman’s offense. He can stretch the field when he lines up out wide, creates a lot of problems for defenses when he lines up in the slot and can even work out of the backfield in some packages. Once he has the ball in his hands, Smith can turn up field in the blink of an eye and can make defenders miss in open space.

“They have me at the H position, as they call it, which is a mix slot receiver and running back,” Smith said. “It’s a do-it-all, versatile position where I can play slot, outside receiver, running back, handle some punt returns and kick returns, it suits me perfectly.”

OVERALL ANALYSIS: Smith became the second big commitment out of the state of Arizona for the Longhorns, joining four-star tight end Brayden Liebrock. The two are beginning to build a bond and were in contact the last few months as they sorted through some mutual options. It’s an even more important win when you take into account that Texas is beginning to be more active out West and beat out USC, which was a childhood dream school for Smith. And the third layer, of course, is that this pledge gives Herman and Co. another building block to pair with quarterback Roschon Johnson, who Smith is plenty familiar with already.

“I think Roschon is a baller,” Smith said. “He’s underrated, in my opinion, and right up there as one of the top quarterbacks in the country so I’m excited to see what we could do together.”

Edited by Machinator

^^Perhaps the most interesting takeaway (or not) from that article is that Beck, Carrington, and Herman seem to be primarily responsible for this one. Smith doesn't mention Mehringer or Meekins at all when talking to Angulo.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

^^Perhaps the most interesting takeaway (or not) from that article is that Beck, Carrington, and Herman seem to be primarily responsible for this one. Smith doesn't mention Mehringer or Meekins at all when talking to Angulo.

Sounds like Beck was the lead recruiter on this one, which make sense since he has some AZ connections and has the QB spot all locked up.  Beck may not be a very good OC, but he's a hell of a recruiter. 

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

On Javonne Shepherd....As I reported this weekend, the 5-star offensive tackle from Houston North Forest will take an UOV to Austin this week, most likely on Tuesday. The Aggies tried to get Shepherd on campus last weekend, but he wasn't interested. Instead, he'll hit the ATX and see UT staffers including Herb Hand, who is doing a tremendous job on the elite o-lineman. Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and A&M seem to be his defacto Top 4. It'll come down to the Horns and Crimson Tide for his services, IMO.

Who has Shepherd as a 5-star? 

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Who has Shepherd as a 5-star? 

Lulz. I've never been able to figure out what rating system IT uses. None of the individual sites have him as a 5 star, so I'm guessing IT is using its own ratings system, a la TexAgs? Idk. Maybe @Fud can enlighten us.  

Also, Rivals has Shepherd as a 3 star and the 58th player in the state. They've also got him listed 32 pounds below his actual weight, so I'd guess he hasnt' attended a Rivals camp in a while which would explain such a bad ranking.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/f1b2bfa8-56df-46d8-bdbb-24d3793a86a3

Here's about 80 seconds of highlights of Roschon at the Elite 11 Finals (don't know how to embed this one).

Looks like Roschon still has some problems with his base and transferring his weight from his back foot to his front every time he throws. His feet were a little too close to each other there and he had times where his throws were all arm because he's not transferring his weight.  He tends to throw better on the run because he naturally shifts his weight forward on the run, but you don't always see him do it in the pocket.  He improved on this from his sophomore year film to his junior, but it looks like he still has a little ways to go.  Thankfully, he'll get time in the program to work on that before he has to see the field.  If he can get his mechanics all cleaned up, he'll be a special player. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. I've never been able to figure out what rating system IT uses. None of the individual sites have him as a 5 star, so I'm guessing IT is using its own ratings system, a la TexAgs? Idk. Maybe @Fud can enlighten us.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Don't know about Rojo but the ad at the beginning sold me on a cruise.

I realize how often this is said, but I don't care...

It's criminally absurd how poorly 247 has Rojo ranked. ESPN has him as a top 100 player in the country. 247 doesn't even have that guy ranked in the top 400. 

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surprised IT thinks it's between Texas and Bama' for Shepherd.

You shouldn't be. IT can be reasonable, but they're also arguably the most optimistic about some players as any site out there right now. I say that not knowing what the fuck Rivals is like anymore. But it seems like every year there's 2-3 guys that IT remains way more optimistic on that other sites, and for longer into their recruitment. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/f1b2bfa8-56df-46d8-bdbb-24d3793a86a3

Here's about 80 seconds of highlights of Roschon at the Elite 11 Finals (don't know how to embed this one).

It's not a big deal, but it's clear hIs arm is pretty average.  You can tell he has to put a lot into some of those throws. I'm sure it's pretty striking in a camp setting next to some of the naturals.  As long as it's good enough, he'll be fine.   I think it is. 

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Surprised IT thinks it's between Texas and Bama' for Shepherd.

If true that Shepherd told aggy to pound sand this weekend, then I would say that's not a great sign for their chances. Of course, with his girlfriend graduating from HS, he had something more important to be doing than playing charades.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Meanwhile, TFB thinks Georgia, not Alabama, is the third true competitor for Shepherd (Texas and A&M being the top 2).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Bama feels good about Darnell Wright, Shepherd might not even be a take for them 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It's not a big deal, but it's clear hIs arm is pretty average.  You can tell he has to put a lot into some of those throws. I'm sure it's pretty striking in a camp setting next to some of the naturals.  As long as it's good enough, he'll be fine.   I think it is. 

He's got plenty of time to get the banana out based on what we saw in the Spring Game.

siap

Per TFB

One of Texas’ Top #LB Targets is Wekiva (FL) #OLB Rian Davis Davis is from Florida and is playing his senior year there.

Davis actually played his first three years of HS football in the Houston area, and he’s very open to returning for college.

Davis took his first official visit to Louisville last week, and has set his Texas official visit.

He will be in Austin June 15th-17th.

He is also very high on Georgia. Davis originally planned to commit this summer, but that likely won’t happen now, as he wants to get some other official visits in before he makes the final decision.

– New Offer Holder #WR Langston Anderson is planning on visiting Texas unofficially late June or early July.

He and current CB Kobe Boyce have been in communication as they used to play together.

Seems like Boyce will play a big part in this recruitment. He will be releasing his top 10 soon. Texas will be on it.

-Four Game Times Set This Fall :

– @Maryland on Sept. 1 at 11 a.m. CT on FS1
– Tulsa on Sept. 8 at 7 p.m. CT on LonghornNetwork
– USC on Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. CT on FOX
– Kansas on Nov. 23 at 11 a.m. CT on FS1

siap
Per TFB
One of Texas’ Top #LB Targets is Wekiva (FL) #OLB Rian Davis Davis is from Florida and is playing his senior year there.
Davis actually played his first three years of HS football in the Houston area, and he’s very open to returning for college.
Davis took his first official visit to Louisville last week, and has set his Texas official visit.
He will be in Austin June 15th-17th.
He is also very high on Georgia. Davis originally planned to commit this summer, but that likely won’t happen now, as he wants to get some other official visits in before he makes the final decision.

– New Offer Holder #WR Langston Anderson is planning on visiting Texas unofficially late June or early July.
He and current CB Kobe Boyce have been in communication as they used to play together.
Seems like Boyce will play a big part in this recruitment. He will be releasing his top 10 soon. Texas will be on it.

-Four Game Times Set This Fall :
– @Maryland on Sept. 1 at 11 a.m. CT on FS1
– Tulsa on Sept. 8 at 7 p.m. CT on LonghornNetwork
– USC on Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. CT on FOX
– Kansas on Nov. 23 at 11 a.m. CT on FS1

If I’m Langston Anderson and I’m interested in Texas, I’d move faster. Those two final spots are going to fill.