Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Bru will be a Longhorn, since we share the same birthday.  I haven’t used my birthday wish yet.  It’s either “extra attention” from the wife or a McCoy commitment in the near future.  I am seriously considering taking one for the team.

If you take one for the team I'll take care of your wife. For the team, you know 

1 minute ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Bru will be a Longhorn, since we share the same birthday.  I haven’t used my birthday wish yet.  It’s either “extra attention” from the wife or a McCoy commitment in the near future.  I am seriously considering taking one for the team.

Gonna need pics for my professional opinion.

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

“They both going to need interpreters “- Tide fan

Exactly what I thought. 

Seriously, I have no idea what kind of numbers of Polynesians live in and around Austin, but there are tons in the Fort Hood area due to the military. There is at least one Polynesian family club, there are Polynesian churches, and at least two Hawaiian restaurants. I hope Langi and the Horns are plugged into all that. We could definitely use that to our advantage. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

the Longhorns made the visit extremely personal and wowed him with a special parting gift that meant a lot to him. “Before I left, I got a great surprise, which was Haitian food,” Cine exclaimed. “Texas was the first school to do that.”

Isn't it a natural inclination to explain why this is a big deal to Cine? Some of you may know, but I don't. EJ had a chance to break the template for a few sentences, but he blew it. For all we know, the Haitian food was a random choice that gave the ball the pop to get it over the fence and blow him away so that he has something to think about as Texas surges in his recruitment.

I wonder if we gambled on haggis with Leal which provided a head wind for the ball as it soared toward the fence and made it drop into play.

Kilnford-Haggis-1002.jpg 

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Some filling out the class discussion with what we know right now. First, the positions that will almost certainly be filled, and later positions we may or may not take depending on who we can land. Players are listed more or less in order of likelihood of landing, or likely preference on the big board, but not necessarily predicted to be in this class. 

QB: Roschon
RB: Cain, Major, Glass
WR: Whittington
WR: Smith
WR: Wright
WR: Higgins
TE: Liebrock
TE: Wiley
OL: Johnson
OL: Shepherd
OL: TBD- probably another tackle
OL: TBD- probably a swing guy who is most likely a guard with good length but can play tackle in a pinch
OL: TBD- a stud center we can groom for the future
DB: Watson
DB: Catalon
DB: Adimora
DB: Cine
DB: Caldwell
LB: Floyd
LB: Gbenda, TBD. Not sure what's going on with Gbenda. Orlando appears to be looking everywhere for more linebackers. I have Tongue in a different group, because you shouldn't count on him contributing at LB anytime soon. 
B-backer: Davis. Not sure who the backup play is here, and maybe we'd just punt the position if we miss on him
DL: Sweat
DL: Mpagi
DL: Carter
DL: TBD. Leal and Jermaine Johnson appear to be top options, but both will be tough pulls. There are about a dozen fungible in-state options who could blow up, so we can probably afford to wait here and see who materializes in-state while fishing out of state

That's 25 spots, or maybe 24 if we miss on b-backer. The following fit into the class if we can land them in no particular order as best available players, we can probably go up to 28 or 29

DB: Carter, Stingley, Pola-Gates, Richardson

RB: TBD. We know the staff is looking for a second RB per quotes from Noah Cain, but is it more of an APB/slot type ala Sqwirl Williams, or is it a 2nd every down back who is primarily an outside runner like Toenail (King Doerue?)

WR: Wilson, Lewis, Powell, Ellis, Anderson, TQ Jackson, OOS, late bloomer. Keep working on Wilson to see if landing his buddy Higgins, better play on the field, and proximity can change his mind, while seeing which of the third tier guys blows up, seeing of any OOS studs reciprocate interest, and looking under rocks for a late bloomer like Tev Hunt. 

DL: If a stud wants on board, we can certainly fit a fifth DL into the class

ATH: McCoy, Tongue. If Bru is listening, you keep a spot open for him until he shuts down his recruitment, although he's unlikely. You take Tongue as a long term option at Rover with him starting out at WR, but that needs to be in addition to another Rover you can hopefully count on earlier. 

Good stuff.  Unsurprisingly, this is a very comprehensive and thorough list.  The only name I'd add is Zach Williams as a target at DL.  Things have been quiet with him.  We offered him early and he visited in April. After the visit, we were considered his leader but he's gotten a lot of offers taken some OVs since then. Looks like he's OV'd to Louisville, Oregon State, and TCU.  I like that he's using up his OVs before some of the big programs come after him hard. Hopefully one of those two remaining OVs is for us. Looks like he visited TCU on 6/15 and liked it. Maybe @angelos's frog knows something about him.  Looks like the highlight of the trip was Mrs. P's tour of the Fort Worth Zoo. lulz. (https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Four-star-defensive-end-Zach-Williams-recaps-his-official-visit-to-TCU-119127913/ ).  The article says he could be deciding soon.  If we get Williams, he'd immediately be my favorite DL prospect by a good bit. He's got a high upside similar to Mpagi but he's about two years ahead on the development curve.  

Neonmoon got me thinking more about the DL recruiting (so you can blame him) and the more I think about it, the more underwhelmed I am.  Sweat, Mpagi, and Carter are probably all takes but they seem like they should all be the last guy in a 4 man DL class. Mpagi has a high ceiling and could become a high NFL pick but someone with that much development needed always represents a higher bust rate because you can't just assume that the development is a given. I've liked Carter for a while, but he doesn't have a very high ceiling. He seems to have a small frame. He's 6'3, 260 with some not great weight and I'm not sure if he'll be able to add enough good weight to be a real force inside and I don't think he has the explosiveness for weakside DE. He could probably man the SDE spot, but that's also what Sweat is, so a little redundant and neither guy projects to be a game changer right now. 

Elite teams aren't taking classes like this, just look at the 2018 DL recruiting of the schools that made it to the CFP or any program that is routinely an elite program, like tOSU.  I get that we need to get to 8, 9, 10 wins before worrying about the playoffs, but these are the guys who will be making up our DL in 4 years, not the next two.  Anyways, there's still time, and landing Zach Williams and/or a late bloomer who shows up after senior film plus a big fish (like Leal, Hawaiian, or Johnson) would do a ton to change this class, and I'll happily eat crow if we can pull that off but it's not seeming likely. Maybe this staff can continuously identify and develop guys like TCU does year in and year out, but that's not a sustainable model for 99% of college programs and while Giles did well coaching up our guys last year, assuming he can accomplish this yearly is quite a jump. 

Tl;dr DL recruiting still not great and I'm sure people don't want to hear it, but at least I'm not talking about Giles' recruiting or the 2018 DL class.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I want to see senior tape on Gbenda before I put him in the take category. 

I wonder if Cine could be a stealth option at Rover? 

Overshown needs to be ready to go in 2019. 

Same on Gbenda.  Regarding Cine, I'm not sure he has the kind of frame.  I think he'll be like Deshon Elliott, but with better coverage skills. In two years, I see him being a 6'2 200+ lb guy who can play centerfield, drop in the box for run support or go man up the slot.  Cine has really good coverage skills for a S his size.  The idea of him coming in a year after we got Foster, Sterns and Overshown is insane.

Our options at Rover for 2019 will be Overshown and an EE De'Gabriel Floyd. Overshown coming at 215 is huge and I hope we dont' waste much time playing him at regular S. He needs to be training at the Jason Hall spot or just flat out as a Rover right away.  

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

Should we be disappointed that Cine is pushing back his decision? We went from going last on his only 2 OVs before his decision, to now potentially getting stale while other schools get the last word. Probably worse for Pedo State than us, as we are close enough to get him in for several home games, but now he gets Haitian food on 3 more OVs.

No. PSU is still leading. The longer he gets established in Texas and stays uncommitted, the better for us. He can drive to our campus a hell of a lot more times than he can fly to PSU over the next 8 months.  It's the same type of thing that's working against us in the Rian Davis recruitment. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 6

Regarding Cine's coverage skills, here's a good video. He gets beat a decent amount here, but he wont' be lining up outside against 5 star WRs in college. Notice his feet and how effortlessly he flips his hips. He'd be a better CB prospect than Bobby Wolfe can ever hope to be.

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

He might as well already be an LSU verbal. Let's see what happens when Coach O stokes the flames on the dumpster fire by having a bad year on the field with an upset loss or two a la Troy and a couple blowouts while generally looking like a mess at every aspect of the game Aranda doesn't control, loses some assistants after the year including Aranda, and then gets to come back for another year anyways because LSU can't afford a new coach.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

59 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Be realistic, “extra attention” from your wife will last about 3 min. Bru McCoy will last 3-4 years.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Good stuff.  Unsurprisingly, this is a very comprehensive and thorough list.  The only name I'd add is Zach Williams as a target at DL.  Things have been quiet with him.  We offered him early and he visited in April. After the visit, we were considered his leader but he's gotten a lot of offers taken some OVs since then. Looks like he's OV'd to Louisville, Oregon State, and TCU.  I like that he's using up his OVs before some of the big programs come after him hard. Hopefully one of those two remaining OVs is for us. Looks like he visited TCU on 6/15 and liked it. Maybe @angelos's frog knows something about him.  Looks like the highlight of the trip was Mrs. P's tour of the Fort Worth Zoo. lulz. (https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Four-star-defensive-end-Zach-Williams-recaps-his-official-visit-to-TCU-119127913/ ).  The article says he could be deciding soon.  If we get Williams, he'd immediately be my favorite DL prospect by a good bit. He's got a high upside similar to Mpagi but he's about two years ahead on the development curve.  

Neonmoon got me thinking more about the DL recruiting (so you can blame him) and the more I think about it, the more underwhelmed I am.  Sweat, Mpagi, and Carter are probably all takes but they seem like they should all be the last guy in a 4 man DL class. Mpagi has a high ceiling and could become a high NFL pick but someone with that much development needed always represents a higher bust rate because you can't just assume that the development is a given. I've liked Carter for a while, but he doesn't have a very high ceiling. He seems to have a small frame. He's 6'3, 260 with some not great weight and I'm not sure if he'll be able to add enough good weight to be a real force inside and I don't think he has the explosiveness for weakside DE. He could probably man the SDE spot, but that's also what Sweat is, so a little redundant and neither guy projects to be a game changer right now. 

Elite teams aren't taking classes like this, just look at the 2018 DL recruiting of the schools that made it to the CFP or any program that is routinely an elite program, like tOSU.  I get that we need to get to 8, 9, 10 wins before worrying about the playoffs, but these are the guys who will be making up our DL in 4 years, not the next two.  Anyways, there's still time, and landing Zach Williams and/or a late bloomer who shows up after senior film plus a big fish (like Leal, Hawaiian, or Johnson) would do a ton to change this class, and I'll happily eat crow if we can pull that off but it's not seeming likely. Maybe this staff can continuously identify and develop guys like TCU does year in and year out, but that's not a sustainable model for 99% of college programs and while Giles did well coaching up our guys last year, assuming he can accomplish this yearly is quite a jump. 

Tl;dr DL recruiting still not great and I'm sure people don't want to hear it, but at least I'm not talking about Giles' recruiting or the 2018 DL class.

Same on Gbenda.  Regarding Cine, I'm not sure he has the kind of frame.  I think he'll be like Deshon Elliott, but with better coverage skills. In two years, I see him being a 6'2 200+ lb guy who can play centerfield, drop in the box for run support or go man up the slot.  Cine has really good coverage skills for a S his size.  The idea of him coming in a year after we got Foster, Sterns and Overshown is insane.

Our options at Rover for 2019 will be Overshown and an EE De'Gabriel Floyd. Overshown coming at 215 is huge and I hope we dont' waste much time playing him at regular S. He needs to be training at the Jason Hall spot or just flat out as a Rover right away.  

No. PSU is still leading. The longer he gets established in Texas and stays uncommitted, the better for us. He can drive to our campus a hell of a lot more times than he can fly to PSU over the next 8 months.  It's the same type of thing that's working against us in the Rian Davis recruitment. 

Agree with all of this.

14 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

He might as well already be an LSU verbal. Let's see what happens when Coach O stokes the flames on the dumpster fire by having a bad year on the field with an upset loss or two a la Troy and a couple blowouts while generally looking like a mess at every aspect of the game Aranda doesn't control, loses some assistants after the year including Aranda, and then gets to come back for another year anyways because LSU can't afford a new coach.

I'm not as down on LSU as some people. Last year they played a ton of freshmen, and there's enough talent to get back to 9-10 wins even if Orgeron fucks up here and there. Aranda can be counted upon to build another top ten defense, and they have a good QB. Unless you have a different measure of failure for a LSU program than I do, I don't see it. He won't be Saban or Malzhan good, but he won't be so bad they fire him midseason or something. 

27 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I don't really disagree with any of this. I like all three in a vacuum, and Magpie the most, but if these are the best three we land, it feels more like a holding serve with OU, TCU, and Okie St defensive line class than a compete with Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson class. Hopefully they all have an Ojomo type of dominant senior season. Maybe early wins on the field will help us finish out the class with one or two superior DL, but that remains to be seen. Bama is in on about ten guys as good as or better than Leal, to put the competition in perspective. Elite DL recruiting is the most competitive in college football, and you need a ringer there if you want to compete in the playoffs with the affore mentioned teams in the playoff rather than be an Oklahoma or Washington and get the ball run down your ass once you get there. 

41 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

What do you make of us taking Sweat's commitment so early? Sure does seem like we wanted to keep him away from aggy.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't really disagree with any of this. I like all three in a vacuum, and Magpie the most, but if these are the best three we land, it feels more like a holding serve with OU, TCU, and Okie St defensive line class than a compete with Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson class. Hopefully they all have an Ojomo type of dominant senior season. Maybe early wins on the field will help us finish out the class with one or two superior DL, but that remains to be seen. Bama is in on about ten guys as good as or better than Leal, to put the competition in perspective. Elite DL recruiting is the most competitive in college football, and you need a ringer there if you want to compete in the playoffs with the affore mentioned teams in the playoff rather than be an Oklahoma or Washington and get the ball run down your ass once you get there. 

DL seems to be the position where you really have to land the elite guys. There's just not many people on the planet with the requisite size and athleticism to be dominant DL. I agree that our current class can keep us ahead of pretty much all of our in-conference competition, except for OU.  OU had a dominant DL class last year.  Riley has picked up their recruiting, and while it's still not on par with teams like tOSU, Bama, and UGA, 2018 and 2019 are looking to be better than anything Stoops did in a long time.  We'll need to pick up our DL recruiting to not be at a talent disadvantage with them moving forward.

20 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I'm not as down on LSU as some people. Last year they played a ton of freshmen, and there's enough talent to get back to 9-10 wins even if Orgeron fucks up here and there. Aranda can be counted upon to build another top ten defense, and they have a good QB. Unless you have a different measure of failure for a LSU program than I do, I don't see it. He won't be Saban or Malzhan good, but he won't be so bad they fire him midseason or something. 

LSU lost a ton of important contributors from last year, especially their best player in starting running back Guice, 2nd string RB, starting FB, two starting WRs, starting LT, two starting DEs, a backup DE, starting NT, two starting CBs, starting C, and starting S

To recap: 

Starters lost: QB, RB, FB, WR1, WR2, LT, RT, C, DE, DE NT, S, CB, CB

2nd string contributors lost: RB, DE

They also have a potential starting corner who's been suspended and in limbo for awhile now in Kristian Fulton

They also lost a few other depth guys who probably weren't going to contribute 

They did of course land a starting upperclassman QB in Joe Burrow, who should help cover up some of their holes, and they were able to bring in JUCO OL Badora Traore, but relying on JUCOs to start right away is always iffy. 

TLDR: for another year at least, they'll probably be able to out-talent much of the schedule despite having a retarded cajun shrek coaching the team, but they'll likely still lose to Bama, Auburn, Miami, and maybe Florida

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

DL seems to be the position where you really have to land the elite guys. There's just not many people on the planet with the requisite size and athleticism to be dominant DL. I agree that our current class can keep us ahead of pretty much all of our in-conference competition, except for OU.  OU had a dominant DL class last year.  Riley has picked up their recruiting, and while it's still not on par with teams like tOSU, Bama, and UGA, 2018 and 2019 are looking to be better than anything Stoops did in a long time.  We'll need to pick up our DL recruiting to not be at a talent disadvantage with them moving forward.

Their DL class was loaded, although I thought Perkins was really overrated, Michael Johnson recently tore his ACL, and Tatum is still trying to qualify 

This. This. This. In my opinion you can’t be an elite team without an elite DL. Most other positions, except QB, can be addressed through either development over 3-4 years (like OL or CB), or just dealing with the weakness (like S or LB). With DL, however, there is a development ceiling on most recruits that aren’t elite, and if you can’t stop the run and generate a pass rush, you just can’t hang in with other elite teams.

Isn't it a natural inclination to explain why this is a big deal to Cine? Some of you may know, but I don't. EJ had a chance to break the template for a few sentences, but he blew it. For all we know, the Haitian food was a random choice that gave the ball the pop to get it over the fence and blow him away so that he has something to think about as Texas surges in his recruitment.
I wonder if we gambled on haggis with Leal which provided a head wind for the ball as it soared toward the fence and made it drop into play.
Kilnford-Haggis-1002.jpg 
Yeah, I guessed that Cine was Haitian after reading that..but had no idea otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

Their DL class was loaded, although I thought Perkins was really overrated, Michael Johnson recently tore his ACL, and Tatum is still trying to qualify 

Their's definitely some question marks.  It sounds like Tatum's issue was just a class he never took because his school admin screwed up, so I'm thinking he'll make it in. If not, that 's a huge blow because he's really underrated. He's a borderline 5 star IMO. Agree that Perkins is overrated, although I would've liked to get him last year regardless.  Idk much about Johnson. He seemed kind of overrated and a guy who struggles with weight recovering from an ACL tear is iffy, but if one of those guys turnout, plus having Tatum and Redmond (who's also weirdly overrated but still really good due to 247 making him the #16 player in teh country. WTF!), that's still a great class.  Their 2019 class isn't quite as strong so far, but that DC kid they got is good and I like Marcus Hicks a lot too.  

Edit: Sejir makes a good point. Fuck OU. They suck.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

15 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This. This. This. In my opinion you can’t be an elite team without an elite DL. Most other positions, except QB, can be addressed through either development over 3-4 years (like OL or CB), or just dealing with the weakness (like S or LB). With DL, however, there is a development ceiling on most recruits that aren’t elite, and if you can’t stop the run and generate a pass rush, you just can’t hang in with other elite teams.

I think the DL is one of our strongest positions this year, perhaps not elite but better than a heavy majority of teams.  It will be anchored by  Chris Nelson, Malcolm Roach, Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu..........All 3* players coming out of HS.  I want the 5* players too, but there are a lot of good players out there.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What do you make of us taking Sweat's commitment so early? Sure does seem like we wanted to keep him away from aggy.

I'm not sure. It seemed strange to me. There's not much film on him, so it's a little hard to tell, but I haven't seen any film of him that was all that impressive. His testing numbers aren't very good at all, and I don't think he'll provide much pass rush.

• Height & Weight: 6'4" 249lbs
  • Nike Football Rating: 65.48
  • 40 Yard Dash: 5.22
  • Shuttle: 5.01
  • Vertical: 24.4
  • Powerball: 37.5

He does have some basketball clips where he shows good functional athleticism.  My guess is the staff thinks he can be a 6'4 Chris Nelson, which is a good, useful player. 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

LSU lost a ton of important contributors from last year, especially their best player in starting running back Guice, 2nd string RB, starting FB, two starting WRs, starting LT, two starting DEs, a backup DE, starting NT, two starting CBs, starting C, and starting S

To recap: 

Starters lost: QB, RB, FB, WR1, WR2, LT, RT, C, DE, DE NT, S, CB, CB

2nd string contributors lost: RB, DE

They also have a potential starting corner who's been suspended and in limbo for awhile now in Kristian Fulton

They also lost a few other depth guys who probably weren't going to contribute 

They did of course land a starting upperclassman QB in Joe Burrow, who should help cover up some of their holes, and they were able to bring in JUCO OL Badora Traore, but relying on JUCOs to start right away is always iffy. 

TLDR: for another year at least, they'll probably be able to out-talent much of the schedule despite having a retarded cajun shrek coaching the team, but they'll likely still lose to Bama, Auburn, Miami, and maybe Florida

Yeah, LSU lost a ton and the spots where they still have some good talent don't have depth behind that talent. If they're lucky, they could stay healthy and ahve a year like last year but if a couple injuries hit they'll be in a world of trouble. Burrow is the wild card. Without him they were going to be absolutely fucked. If it turns out that he's really good, then they'll be fine this year most likely.  Regardless, I think the mess and lack of organization/guidance from Coach O will overshadow LSU's talent. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

I think the DL is one of our strongest positions this year, perhaps not elite but better than a heavy majority of teams.  It will be anchored by  Chris Nelson, Malcolm Roach, Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu..........All 3* players coming out of HS.  I want the 5* players too, but there are a lot of good players out there.

Our DL stands to gain the most in general perception with a good to great season compared to other defensive units.  I hope we get a bump of momentum as the season progresses. 

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

it feels more like a holding serve with OU, TCU, and Okie St defensive line class than a compete with Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson class.

The biggest issue with DL recruiting isn't Giles. It's the class of 2019 in Texas. Outside of Leal there is no DL in the state that is in the above category. I guess Stripling could be but I don't think he's a given as a difference maker. He'll be a good contributor but I could see his ceiling limiting him beyond that. Then what? I'm not a huge believer in NaNa, so then what are you left with? It's simply a bad year for no-doubter impact DL in the state and since Texas didn't close out the 4 games last year that we could/should have - it's an enormous task to sell "what will be" to these OOS impact DL guys that have offers from everywhere. So instead you have to hope that your hit rate on guys with high ceilings can carry this class over between the 2018 and 2020 classes. 2020 features guys like Alec Bryant, Branard Wright, James Sylvester, and Vernon Broughton. It's still early for DL projections but the 2020 class is going to be far better than 2019 (as was 2018). Even guys like Umanmielen and Nwankwo look to have bigger upsides than this 2019 class. Taking a combination of 3 of those guys and 1 elite OOS defender would go a long way towards covering for any misses on developmental prospects in 2019 and give them 3-5 years to be in the system and attempt to tap that upside and let Yancey do his thing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Their's definitely some question marks.  It sounds like Tatum's issue was just a class he never took because his school admin screwed up, so I'm thinking he'll make it in. If not, that 's a huge blow because he's really underrated. He's a borderline 5 star IMO. Agree that Perkins is overrated, although I would've liked to get him last year regardless.  Idk much about Johnson. He seemed kind of overrated and a guy who struggles with weight recovering from an ACL tear is iffy, but if one of those guys turnout, plus having Tatum and Redmond (who's also weirdly overrated but still really good due to 247 making him the #16 player in teh country. WTF!), that's still a great class.  Their 2019 class isn't quite as strong so far, but that DC kid they got is good and I like Marcus Hicks a lot too.  

Edit: Sejir makes a good point. Fuck OU. They suck.

You're putting a lot of faith in what the OU $9.95ers are reporting about Tatum's issue, including the ringleader, who happens to be a convicted felon. They're getting their information from Thibodeaux, who functions like a sieve to them as he knew most of them when he was a recruit and player. He's got several agendas on this one. There may or may not be a deeper issue with getting his ass into school and it's likely that the given excuse isn't the full excuse.

17 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'm not sure. It seemed strange to me. There's not much film on him, so it's a little hard to tell, but I haven't seen any film of him that was all that impressive. His testing numbers aren't very good at all, and I don't think he'll provide much pass rush.

• Height & Weight: 6'4" 249lbs
  • Nike Football Rating: 65.48
  • 40 Yard Dash: 5.22
  • Shuttle: 5.01
  • Vertical: 24.4
  • Powerball: 37.5

He does have some basketball clips where he shows good functional athleticism.  My guess is the staff thinks he can be a 6'4 Chris Nelson, which is a good, useful player. 

Yeah, LSU lost a ton and the spots where they still have some good talent don't have depth behind that talent. If they're lucky, they could stay healthy and ahve a year like last year but if a couple injuries hit they'll be in a world of trouble. Burrow is the wild card. Without him they were going to be absolutely fucked. If it turns out that he's really good, then they'll be fine this year most likely.  Regardless, I think the mess and lack of organization/guidance from Coach O will overshadow LSU's talent. 

Burrow's card isn't that wild. He's a functional QB who could potentially be a game manager. Orgeron has his grubby, filthy fingers all over everything, so whatever kind of chimeric monster he shits out from his brain and rubs all over the mediocrity that is Emsinger's game planning will be the bigger wild card than anything Burrow does. I think Burrow would be fine at a place like Bama or OSU, but if they're counting on him to win games in Baton Rouge, they should light the cigarettes now, because they're already freshly fucked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The biggest issue with DL recruiting isn't Giles. It's the class of 2019 in Texas. Outside of Leal there is no DL in the state that is in the above category. I guess Stripling could be but I don't think he's a given as a difference maker. He'll be a good contributor but I could see his ceiling limiting him beyond that. Then what? I'm not a huge believer in NaNa, so then what are you left with? It's simply a bad year for no-doubter impact DL in the state and since Texas didn't close out the 4 games last year that we could/should have - it's an enormous task to sell "what will be" to these OOS impact DL guys that have offers from everywhere. So instead you have to hope that your hit rate on guys with high ceilings can carry this class over between the 2018 and 2020 classes. 2020 features guys like Alec Bryant, Branard Wright, James Sylvester, and Vernon Broughton. It's still early for DL projections but the 2020 class is going to be far better than 2019 (as was 2018). Even guys like Umanmielen and Nwankwo look to have bigger upsides than this 2019 class. Taking a combination of 3 of those guys and 1 elite OOS defender would go a long way towards covering for any misses on developmental prospects in 2019 and give them 3-5 years to be in the system and attempt to tap that upside and let Yancey do his thing. 

Unfortunately I have to state that I also believe Giles is a below average recruiter, he just fails to connect with players during the process. He tries hard but its not natural to him and it shows. With that garbage said:

Most everyone is underestimating our 2018 DL class. Coburn, Moro, Ossai and Williams are studs (if healthy). Carson is a great project take.

Leal was all aggie until Stumblin was fired and he gave us a legitimate chance to avoid the cult. Giles failed to build a connection, once Brewster and the ministry got him back to campus it was over. I also think Mowry might be ever better as a DL take, those are 2 great takes for the sheephumpers.  I really like both of our takes so far, lets see them as RS SO/JR's. I am really high on Carter as well. Only way I see us landing Leal is if we put a great season together and aggie ags it up. I think we take 3 more DL, hopefully Carter is one.

IT on Gbenda:

DAVID GBENDA

The Cinco (Five) Ranch linebacker is one of the most enjoyable prospects of the cycle to talk to. He's accessible, intelligent, and enthusiastic. He's also really candid.

Normally I get off the phone with a good understanding of what's going on, but after talking to him Monday evening, not so much, and that's through no fault of his own. I feel he's still trying to figure out what's going on himself.

To backtrack: when he went on a hot run of offers in the spring (after measuring 6-foot, 212 pounds at the Houston Nike Regional), he seemingly had his pick of schools. The two he seemed to take the most shine to were Texas and then A&M.

Now when asked who is recruiting him the hardest he mentions Baylor, Ole Miss and A&M. I asked what about Texas and he responded, "them too." But I've asked him that question multiple times in the last month and he keeps leaving Texas off of his list of most aggressive suitors while repeatedly mentioning A&M.

My feeling has been, between A&M and Texas, Gbenda will pick the school putting forth the most effort. While Gbenda mentions A&M to me, I'm not sure they'd take his commitment. That benefits Texas long-term should they choose to really press for him.

He visited Austin again this past weekend for the Heat Wave pool party which is a very direct indication Texas is still interested. This particular gathering was kept relatively small by design.

Gbenda once again made the trip with his father, who has been high on Texas since their first visit for junior day. Like that junior day, Gbenda once again snuck in and snuck out.

He did attend the actual pool party. He did talk to the coaches and players, which he enjoyed, especially talking with Moro Ojomo, newest commit Peter Mpagi, and Mr. Linebacker, Gary Johnson.

Not surprisingly he talked with Coach Orlando the most of all the staffers, but Derek Warehime also spent time with him. Orlando told Gbenda they have a certain number of linebackers they want in the class, though that number was not divulged (I think that number is dependent on 'ATH' takes). Orlando also said he felt he had a clear level of Gbenda's interest given his repeated trips to campus.

I asked David if he felt Texas was pushing for him or taking their time. He replied, "a little bit of both." These topics can't get a little sensitive after that so I didn't want to dig much deeper.

He mentioned Texas sits where they always sit, "in a good spot." He would like to make an early- or mid-season announcement at the latest.

Obviously Texas is recruiting Gbenda and there is mutual interest. It would appear they'd be happy to have him but are still figuring out where they sit with the rest of their options.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on Gbenda:

Reveal hidden contents

DAVID GBENDA

The Cinco (Five) Ranch linebacker is one of the most enjoyable prospects of the cycle to talk to. He's accessible, intelligent, and enthusiastic. He's also really candid.

Normally I get off the phone with a good understanding of what's going on, but after talking to him Monday evening, not so much, and that's through no fault of his own. I feel he's still trying to figure out what's going on himself.

To backtrack: when he went on a hot run of offers in the spring (after measuring 6-foot, 212 pounds at the Houston Nike Regional), he seemingly had his pick of schools. The two he seemed to take the most shine to were Texas and then A&M.

Now when asked who is recruiting him the hardest he mentions Baylor, Ole Miss and A&M. I asked what about Texas and he responded, "them too." But I've asked him that question multiple times in the last month and he keeps leaving Texas off of his list of most aggressive suitors while repeatedly mentioning A&M.

My feeling has been, between A&M and Texas, Gbenda will pick the school putting forth the most effort. While Gbenda mentions A&M to me, I'm not sure they'd take his commitment. That benefits Texas long-term should they choose to really press for him.

He visited Austin again this past weekend for the Heat Wave pool party which is a very direct indication Texas is still interested. This particular gathering was kept relatively small by design.

Gbenda once again made the trip with his father, who has been high on Texas since their first visit for junior day. Like that junior day, Gbenda once again snuck in and snuck out.

He did attend the actual pool party. He did talk to the coaches and players, which he enjoyed, especially talking with Moro Ojomo, newest commit Peter Mpagi, and Mr. Linebacker, Gary Johnson.

Not surprisingly he talked with Coach Orlando the most of all the staffers, but Derek Warehime also spent time with him. Orlando told Gbenda they have a certain number of linebackers they want in the class, though that number was not divulged (I think that number is dependent on 'ATH' takes). Orlando also said he felt he had a clear level of Gbenda's interest given his repeated trips to campus.

I asked David if he felt Texas was pushing for him or taking their time. He replied, "a little bit of both." These topics can't get a little sensitive after that so I didn't want to dig much deeper.

He mentioned Texas sits where they always sit, "in a good spot." He would like to make an early- or mid-season announcement at the latest.

Obviously Texas is recruiting Gbenda and there is mutual interest. It would appear they'd be happy to have him but are still figuring out where they sit with the rest of their options.

"The Aristocrats!"

What the fuck.

Thing is, all of them now have the size, strength and experience to play better than a 5* recruit starting for the first season. I'm not too worried about DL as long as injuries aren't an issue.

40 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Eh. I disagree the issue is just limited to 2019 in-state talent.  The staff has gone OOS at almost every other position where there are deficiencies with the 2019 in-state crop or they missed out on in-state targets: WR (Smith and some other targets), DB (Watson, likely getting Adimora and/or Gates) LB (Floyd and possibly others), RB (Cain, sort of), TE.   So far, we could get Williams for DL (I'm not clear on where we're at with him), but he seems to be the only realistic option right now, maybe things get hotter with Johnson or the Hawaiian kid.  Without going back into the 2018 stuff or the conversation we had earier this cylce, I'll just say the staff has missed more at DL since it got here than any other position, and by a good bit.  They've mitigated those misses pretty well and will hopefully continue to do so, but they have been missing.

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You're putting a lot of faith in what the OU $9.95ers are reporting about Tatum's issue, including the ringleader, who happens to be a convicted felon. They're getting their information from Thibodeaux, who functions like a sieve to them as he knew most of them when he was a recruit and player. He's got several agendas on this one. There may or may not be a deeper issue with getting his ass into school and it's likely that the given excuse isn't the full excuse.

I'm not putting much faith in it; it's just the only thing I've seen either way. I'd be happy to not see Tatum at OU, although I hope he gets it worked out somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

Thing is, all of them now have the size, strength and experience to play better than a 5* recruit starting for the first season. I'm not too worried about DL as long as injuries aren't an issue.

The talk about DL recruiting isn't in regard to how it will affect us this year.

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

2020 features guys like Alec Bryant, Branard Wright, James Sylvester, and Vernon Broughton. It's still early for DL projections but the 2020 class is going to be far better than 2019 (as was 2018). Even guys like Umanmielen and Nwankwo look to have bigger upsides than this 2019 class. 

Do you think Bryant, Wright, and Sylvester get offered soon?  It's early, but Wright seems like he wants to play in the SEC.  I really like Broughton.  Nwankwo has good film IMO but he's not even 6 ft. tall.  Also, do you have Dorbah in this group?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Since when has OU ever had a problem getting a guy into school for academic reasons? 

• Like 1