Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Is it ironic that I can give him the benefit of the doubt because of a bad OL but for Tim Beck I won't. Maybe I'm trying to validate my pre-conceived notions that Drayton came in as a super bad ass and Tim Beck came in already a known loser.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Drayton gets an "incomplete" from me, coaching-wise.

He's done his job on the trail so far, even if he hasn't necessarily soared past expectations like Naivar or Washington have. He landed Ingram, Tre Watson, and if I recall correctly his Missouri roots have helped us gain a foothold there. Now, if we win 9+ this year and we're still not able to land a big fish at RB, then maybe there's some concern warranted, but his recruiting is far, far down on my list of criticisms right now.

The recruiting bit I'm talking about isn't exclusive to the RB position. There is the Missouri connection you're talking about that is helping with some prospects but I don't think he had much to do with the 2 guys signed last class. Maybe I'm just misremembering how he was going to be utilized on the trail. You're right in saying it's more of an "incomplete" assessment and that's how I should've worded it. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Why are we writing Cain off, again? Because we need to rub our pussies in fear over Baron von Edgar de Toqueville Orgeron? Fuck. Some of you guys get way ahead of yourselves in your sarvanaashery. I’m not saying we get Cain, but I do expect to get a TB we want, without question.

Georgia is also looming here. Makes it a three way split rather than a coinflip. 

But is he a better OC than Tim Beck?

Maybe, but he held the title of "running game coordinator" last year...

Oh, and "assistant head coach" as well, so he could have pulled rank on Beck at any time. Not getting down on Drayton after a single season, but I thought it was strange everyone forgot about him and his second in command status last year when we struggled on offense.

58 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

The recruiting bit I'm talking about isn't exclusive to the RB position. There is the Missouri connection you're talking about that is helping with some prospects but I don't think he had much to do with the 2 guys signed last class. Maybe I'm just misremembering how he was going to be utilized on the trail. You're right in saying it's more of an "incomplete" assessment and that's how I should've worded it. 

I think the perception was that he was going to be our closer/rainmaker in the way ATM uses Brewster (except not as sleazy), and I think it's fair to say he hasn't been that thus far - if anything, it's been Carrington or Washington.

• Like 3

No matter how good a recruiter you are, it's hard to get stud running backs when your OL sucks. Improve the OL and all things get dramatically better: running, passing, defense, scoring, winning. The University of Texas OL should be the most dominant unit on the field every game. We are not really contenders until we can say that with a straight face.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

No matter how good a recruiter you are, it's hard to get stud running backs when your OL sucks. Improve the OL and all things get dramatically better: running, passing, defense, scoring, winning. The University of Texas OL should be the most dominant unit on the field every game. We are not really contenders until we can say that with a straight face.

Not sure he was ever touted as a great recruiter. Believe his touted background is as a good developer of RBs, most recently for the Bears in the NFL.

Edited by pacman

44 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

dVDJiez.gif?noredirect

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

So... even if LSU goes into the bag this season and Ogre ogres, Georgia gets both Sanders and Cain?  I don't see that happening.

I don't see them landing both Sanders and Cain either 

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Fair enough,  I still think it is premature to become worried.  But you guys follow this more closely than I.

I'm not worried. I'm just pointing out that it's more or less a three way battle for Cain. 

It's amazing how my playing around with the class calculator and putting Mike Hollins in as the RB take from this class spiraled into that entire conversations about RB's, Drayton, etc.  That's just who I threw in there as the potential RB take if Sanders and Cain are misses.

I think there's no reason Drayton shouldn't land Evans next year, so I wouldn't complain if Hollins was the RB in this class.  He actually might be a guy who is underrated.

6 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

It's amazing how my playing around with the class calculator and putting Mike Hollins in as the RB take from this class spiraled into that entire conversations about RB's, Drayton, etc.  That's just who I threw in there as the potential RB take if Sanders and Cain are misses.

I think there's no reason Drayton shouldn't land Evans next year, so I wouldn't complain if Hollins was the RB in this class.  He actually might be a guy who is underrated.

He's an odd choice for backup plan - Sanders and Cain are tier 1, and then we know we're talking to guys like Brown, Glass, Barlow and Doerue.

5 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's an odd choice for backup plan - Sanders and Cain are tier 1, and then we know we're talking to guys like Brown, Glass, Barlow and Doerue.

I thought Hollins was in one of the notes recently about someone in contact with the staff?  I was thinking in terms of a late miss on Sanders/Cain to where the other guys have moved on.  I guess Glass is probably a more realistic pick than Hollins.

All I care about is getting Evans next year.  Evans and Demas would put the program back in national title contention.  I'm no daddy98 when it comes to reviewing film but from my amateur viewpoint, the only guy that has wowed me as much as Evans in watching highlights was Ezekiel Elliottt.

Did anyone think that giving players stipends would lead to a decrease in SEC BS?
I didn't think it would lead to a decrease in BS anywhere, SEC or otherwise. Even if it were a significant amount (say $10-15k semester) it wouldn't make a difference other than a few players and their families thinking that was enough to stay out of potential trouble that come with bidding wars.

5 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

guess he broke up with that girlfriend. 

quick somebody send Shepherds girl some flowers in his name

IIRC, the girlfriend goes to a small college in Mississippi and was planning on transferring into MSU. Maybe they got her into LSU?

1 hour ago, Fud said:

IIRC, the girlfriend goes to a small college in Mississippi and was planning on transferring into MSU. Maybe they got her into LSU?

I love the idea of 4 year community colleges fighting to lower their standards so that a girlfriend of a football player can enroll.

This gives me lots and lots of chuckles.

MSU vs LSU in a battle of "How Low Can You Go?"

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don't know anyone who thought that stipend would do anything. It's an insignificant amount. 

It wouldn't matter. Even if they were getting 50K per year, Georgia would offer them more to play school there and hopefully beat Bama.

Was hoping for some more D-linemen...

E.J. Holland: List of recruits visiting next weekend (Running Thread)

QB Roschon Johnson 
QB Malik Hornsby (Maybe) 
RB Mike Hollins (Maybe) 
RB Darwin Barlow (Maybe) 
RB Zach Evans 
WR Jake Smith 
WR Demond Demas (Maybe) 
WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba 
WR Marvin Mims (Maybe) 
WR Zeriah Beason 
TE Jared Wiley 
OL Tyler Johnson

OL Javonne Shepherd (Maybe) 
DL Peter Mpagi 
ILB David Gbenda 
CB Marques Caldwell 
CB Jaylon Jones 
CB Lorando Johnson 
CB Jalen Kimber 
S Noa Pola-Gates 
S Bryson Washington 
S Tyler Owens 
ATH Kyron Cumby 
ATH Myles Price

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It wouldn't matter. Even if they were getting 50K per year, Georgia would offer them more to play school there and hopefully beat Bama.

I disagree. There is definitely  a number that would cut down on it, it's just a really high number that has no chance of happening, so it's not even worth debating.

The players have a market value, if their stipend ever got close to it, under the table stuff would stop being worth it. Georgia is willing to spend a lot of dough, but their money is not infinite.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I disagree. There is definitely  a number that would cut down on it, it's just a really high number that has no chance of happening, so it's not even worth debating.

The players have a market value, if their stipend ever got close to it, under the table stuff would stop being worth it. Georgia is willing to spend a lot of dough, but their money is not infinite.

So what you are saying is that in reality I am right, but if you go beyond reality then you are right. I'm okay with that but I still think you are wrong. Even in the realm of the absurd, I think there would still be cheating.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So what you are saying is that in reality I am right, but if you go beyond reality then you are right. I'm okay with that but I still think you are wrong. Even in the realm of the absurd, I think there would still be cheating.

It's not beyond reality as in literally financially impossible, its beyond reality as in the NCAA just wouldn't do it unless they're forced to. The current scenario is just fine with them, they don't really care about under the table money, they just need to make it look like they care.

And cheating never goes away 100% in anything, but it would be significantly decreased imo. 

It's all opinions, but this tangent has gone a bit too long for my liking, so you can be "right" or whatever.

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Was hoping for some more D-linemen...

E.J. Holland: List of recruits visiting next weekend (Running Thread)

Hide contents

QB Roschon Johnson 
QB Malik Hornsby (Maybe) 
RB Mike Hollins (Maybe) 
RB Darwin Barlow (Maybe) 
RB Zach Evans 
WR Jake Smith 
WR Demond Demas (Maybe) 
WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba 
WR Marvin Mims (Maybe) 
WR Zeriah Beason 
TE Jared Wiley 
OL Tyler Johnson

OL Javonne Shepherd (Maybe) 
DL Peter Mpagi 
ILB David Gbenda 
CB Marques Caldwell 
CB Jaylon Jones 
CB Lorando Johnson 
CB Jalen Kimber 
S Noa Pola-Gates 
S Bryson Washington 
S Tyler Owens 
ATH Kyron Cumby 
ATH Myles Price

Or any DL at all haha. The guest list will grow this week though as kids solidify their plans.