Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Both guys are pretty reputable. I'll worry when the Lake Travis insiders get worried. 

Yep, and it's important to note that both have hedged their bets, saying that a lot can change between now and his commitment date, given that he still has to do his official visits.

Nahlin is supremely confident that Wilson is coming to Texas, and the handful of people on here who seem to be plugged into this one seem to agree, so that's what I'll go with (confirmation bias is fun).

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Super K said a few days ago that it was too close to call. Baizer thinks it's Ohio State as of right now.

6 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Ooooh. Somebody called me reputable. Gonna throw that on the ole resume.

lack-of-faith-disturbing.gif

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is everybody in agreement that he's a WDE in our defense? I think they'll take two. 

When you say WDE, are you talking b-backer in our defense? I think he grows into a hand in the dirt DL, whether that's an active 4i guy they stunt a lot like Hager, or an edge guy if they start using one more, I'm not sure. The JUCO Jermaine Johnson looks like an edge guy all the way 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

When you say WDE, are you talking b-backer in our defense? I think he grows into a hand in the dirt DL, whether that's an active 4i guy they stunt a lot like Hager, or an edge guy if they start using one more, I'm not sure. The JUCO Jermaine Johnson looks like an edge guy all the way 

I think NaNa is a Hager type "DE". He's not a B-Backer, he'll outgrow LB in a hurry. 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I think NaNa is a Hager type "DE". He's not a B-Backer, he'll outgrow LB in a hurry. 

Agreed.

If we get the right guys, I think we'll see some Miami fronts in the future in our dime defense for third and long, with two edge rushers like Nana in the game and the secondary flooded 

5 hours ago, QfromOH_1013 said:

Also interesting.. his response to Jordan Whittington tweeting at him about the gloves.

Okay I'm older than sin, but from my understanding Whittington is from Cuero. What relation is he to either Arthur or Alois Whittington, if any. I was in high school the same time as Arthur and that was one of the most phenomenally gifted athletes I have ever seen in high school. I remember reaching the tackle him a couple of times and I was within an inch of him and by the time I realized I miss him he was 20 yards behind me. To watch him run track was truly a thing to behold

13 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Okay I'm older than sin, but from my understanding Whittington is from Cuero. What relation is he to either Arthur or Alois Whittington, if any. I was in high school the same time as Arthur and that was one of the most phenomenally gifted athletes I have ever seen in high school. I remember reaching the tackle him a couple of times and I was within an inch of him and by the time I realized I miss him he was 20 yards behind me. To watch him run track was truly a thing to behold

Apparently Arthur is his uncle 

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/advosports/whittington-family-continues-cuero-football-tradition/article_aabc90d4-e6e2-5426-9daf-9e4b6c1d20c1.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ausjala said:

Does it disturb anyone else that far too many Surls speak and understand twitter fluently? I lurk the Surly, seems a lot of you lurk 18 year olds. But then again, how else would we ever find anything out of importance, right?

Not all of us are old as dirt and may have grown up in the Twitter age.

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for Texas

— Both Mike (all the way from Jamaica) and I put in our Crystal Ball picks for four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright to Texas today. I am told that there is a lot of confidence in regards to Wright heading into his visit weekend. Tom Herman has been in constant communication with his parents, and they were blown away on junior day weekend in February. A source also told Mike that he enjoyed his Texas visit more than Ohio State and that he prefers to play in a warmer environment. Wright wants to wait until January to make a public decision, but we like where the Longhorns sit early on.

— One out-of-state wide receiver the Longhorns are still pushing for is Notre Dame Prep (AZ) product Jake Smith. The Longhorns have already hosted him for a visit this offseason and are working to get him back on campus. While USC appears to be the frontrunner in his recruitment, I am told that there is still legitimate interest in Texas. The Longhorns love him as a true slot receiver.

— Four-star defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal was named to the Subway Super Team today, and the tweet from their official account seemed to indicate that he committed to the Longhorns. However, I’m told that Leal has not given UT a verbal pledge. As I reported a few days ago, he still wants to make a few other visits. With all of this said, I’m very confident on where Texas stands in this one. 

— Texas assistant coach Oscar Giles is keeping tabs on several in-state defensive linemen, including George Ranch product Peter Mpagi, who visited for junior day weekend in February. Mpagi informed me that he would be back on campus for the spring game on April 21. He is one to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Subway doing work for our squad: 

CG Mckinnies Retweeted

Subway Super Team Retweeted CG Mckinnies

Congratulations to @boimarv9 on being named to the 2017 Subway Super Team! Good Luck @TexasFootball with @CoachTomHerman !

I didn't know Hamm was working at Subway.  It has to be Texas if he is saying so.  Did he change his crystal meatball pick to Texas?