Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Sweat has an amazing motor and has the same ceiling as Leal, he is just a lot more raw than Leal and will take some coaching where as I bet money that leal is starting next year for aggy.

Amazing motor is interesting. In about a third of his midyear highlights, it looks like he's loafing around before deciding to go make a play 

• Like 1

“I’m glad Lebron James didn’t commit to The University of Texas. Tape looks less explosive than last year. He lacks that killer instinct. Not much of a jumper either. I much prefer the film I’ve seen of Connor Atchley who appears faster than Lebron and he is also taller. I know Connor is only a 3 star but his ceiling is just as high as Lebron’s.”

• Fuck You 44

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody else think Sweat's Sr. highlights so far look better than Leal's?  Having said that, I'd still take Leal in a heartbeat.

honestly I don't like either's film. i want to see some domination of the guy in front of them, mauling the guy to get to the ball. they are going against shitty high school players.

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

honestly I don't like either's film. i want to see some domination of the guy in front of them, mauling the guy to get to the ball. they are going against shitty high school players.

It turns out Giles' "don't bother recruiting anyone" strategy was the move from the jump!

16 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

“I’m glad Lebron James didn’t commit to The University of Texas. Tape looks less explosive than last year. He lacks that killer instinct. Not much of a jumper either. I much prefer the film I’ve seen of Connor Atchley who appears faster than Lebron and he is also taller. I know Connor is only a 3 star but his ceiling is just as high as Lebron’s.”

This is what defecating in public then proceeding to rub feces all over your face looks like.  

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Stupid is as stupid does.

You can’t fix stupid.

27 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Regarding Leal vs Sweat, here's my amateur take after wasting time watching their midyear hudls earlier today 

Leal, while he's taken a step back and isn't quite a five star recruit because he doesn't make the elite backfield disruption plays that separate the 5*s from the rest, is still a 6'4 280 pound interior defensive lineman who'll be able to hold the point of attack and probably routinely make plays in his hole and a gap over, even if double teamed, eventually at probably over 300 pounds in college, and can probably contribute right away. He plays against shitty 6A competition in San Antonio, but it's still 6a offensive linemen he's going against. I think he has a high floor but is close to his ceiling. It's possible that he's just coasting his senior year, and still has better flashy 5* talent that he just isn't showing right now. It's also possible that he's playing injured, or that he's a steady contributor whose motor runs hot and plays hard every play, and doesn't save up his energy to flash every once in awhile, if that makes sense. Either way, the highlights don't look 5* this year, but I think he's still a top ten prospect in the state if not top five, partially because the high end talent in the state kind of sucks this year, and I think I'd have a hard time talking myself into moving a bunch of guys ahead of him. I think receivers are typically overrated in rankings, but it's difficult to put anyone ahead of Wilson and Wease in my eyes this year. Just a shitty year at the very top. 

Sweat has obvious raw physical potential, and his best plays flash physically better than Leals best plays do. I can buy that he might have higher upside, especially as a backfield disruptor down the road as an upper classman. It'll take a lot of work to get there though. He doesn't appear to have great a coaching; has hardly any technique, stands straight up most of the time, even in his highlights he's loafing, and I'm assuming that he's not getting high qualify S&C work in Huntsville, especially compared to what Leal is getting at a 6a powerhouse. He's playing against significantly lower competition. He's probably at least 20 pounds lighter than Leal right now too, which goes both ways; will he keep his athleticism at the 300 pound weight he's likely headed for? Will he become a freak when he gets proper S&C and coaching? Either way, he's a lot farther away from being a big time contributor than Leal. Which do you value more? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Bruh, I get what you're getting at but Leal isn't LeBron, Marvin Wilson isn't LeBron and he was better than Leal. No one in football is LeBron because LeBron was as close to a sure thing as you could get. If you told me you'd traded 4 first rounders to move up to get LeBron, I'd have told you good move, he's worth it way back when. I'd not say similar levels of praise for anyone in football. Leal is a good get. Maybe he played a little weaker this year than he should have based on projected growth. Maybe we find an adequate or superior replacement. Maybe we don't. The odds of finding an adequate replacement seem to high to me. An equal seems possible. A superior one seems unlikely unless we land Tuitele.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Can I be on the side where I think both Sweat and Leal have more to prove after watching their HUDL highlights?

Who could have predicted satya would pick the most pessimistic possible choice?

(I'm worthless at breaking down football film so I sincerely don't know who is right)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

the Longhorns have done well to hang around and get themselves back into the picture. Part of that has to do with the way the staff has been able to portray what Higgins potential in UT’s offense could be.

“They’re doing a great job,” he said. “The thing that I like about them the most is they’re utilizing Lil’Jordan Humphrey. That’s kind of who they see me coming in and filling that mold … and they’re Number Nine now. For them to beat Oklahoma, TCU, USC - that’s really big for them not just with football but with recruiting.”

Stanford has looked like its been in the best overall shape for the longest part of Higgins’ recruitment, but Texas is in line to have him on campus for an official just weeks before his presumed announcement. As the Cardinal prefers to wait until after the season to have its commits come for their officials he may decide before then that he doesn’t want to leave Austin.

Edited by Carl Winslow
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

Funny Marvin Wilson is brought up. His senior hudl didn't look as impressive as the junior, and his trajectory flattened out, similar to Leal's. Let's see where they both end up down the road. 

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but didn't we bitch that Coburn was too big already? It's always something. 

1 hour ago, RadiologyHorn said:

I’m a retard????

Yes.

This idiot thought he would pretend to be a "wHorn sunshine pumper" and predict Texas would beat USC so aggy could laugh at all the delusional Texas fans. Then, we won. So he thought he would do it for TCU, but we won. And OU, but we won. Meanwhile, aggy's best two wins are their losses to Clemson and Bama. Dumbass.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's a different type of player than Sweat/Leal, but Mpagi's passrushing is more impressive than both

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8201836/5bb76f15c124de10085e47f7

Now Mpagi is better than Leal???!??? 

Guys tell me you’re trolling. Please tell me this isn’t real. I feel like I’m in a Seinfeld bizarro world episode. I can’t take this shit anymore. Where are my blood pressure pills. 

Kanye West and Kid Rock cussing in the Oval Office earlier in the week was more normal than the crazy talk on this board today. 

Either I am losing my mind or everyone else around me is. 

When did we become aggy!!!?!?!? 

Did RC really not offer?

Edited by RadiologyHorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 57

3 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Now Mpagi is better than Leal???!??? 

Guys tell me you’re trolling. Please tell me this isn’t real. I feel like I’m in a Seinfeld bizarro world episode. I can’t take this shit anymore. Where are my blood pressure pills. 

Kanye West and Kid Rock cussing in the Oval Office earlier in the week was more normal than the crazy talk on this board today. 

Either I am losing my mind or everyone else around me is. 

When did we become aggy!!!?!?!? 

Did RC really not offer?

Can we crowd source a ban for this fucker?

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 2