Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Having an unusually high percentage of criminals, divas or other “bad cultural fits” in this class is disconcerting. Any class, really, but especially one we’re counting on to get us back up to a high level in overall talent and depth. 

It seems like (and I think CTJ would agree) that our staff has done a pretty good job of identify and avoiding those players.  There's still plenty of talent available even with the avoidance of said problem types. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

12) The state's 2019 is chock full of prima donnas and it's a legitimate concern for various coaches during this cycle. There are a lot of guys with red flags of one sort or another, so the homework in this cycle is pretty damned important.

The ranking services (specifically 247) share blame in this one as well. There are 4-5 guys in the top 15 or so that are unlikely to get in or stay in anywhere, much less contribute over 4 years. In years past that has been taken into account for some recruits and it hurt their rankings but this year the influence via access to their trainers, which 247 relies SO heavily on right now because they simply don't have much access to coaches at Texas, Oklahoma State, and TCU compared to past years. This is also why it's so important to pay attention to who is being recruited continuously vs. who is ranked where in 2019 for sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

EJ said on his periscope that it looks like Demarvin Leal won’t make it to aggy this weekend for the spring game and his OV. Also said there are two other silent commits besides Carringtons shhh that we will find out within a month

RGB you're doing the Lord's work. 

I can't get through 30 seconds of EJ's Periscope. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You OK Fud? I know ENJO is your guy. 

I like EJNO a lot based on hudl and his camp highlights from the army all american combine where he was dominant. I'd be curious to know what the knocks are on him. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

After Andrew Parker stuck with Arky, I bet Herman and Orlando regretted not offering Honas. 

My read was that they thought they were going to land White and didn't want to hurt their chances of landing him. Or they just didn't like Honas, who knows? I think there was a good chance he'd be better than Wheeler next season. 

Mike Roach: Texas makes big impression on four-star WR Dylan Wright

The Texas coaches are prioritizing playmakers in the 2019 class. No athlete in the state of Texas fits the bill more than West Mesquite wide receiver Dylan Wright. A four-star prospect, Wright is one of the most dynamic receivers to come through the state in the last few years. The Longhorns offered Wright following his junior season, and they’ve been working hard to make sure they are in position to land his commitment. Wright returned to Austin last weekend to take in a Texas practice, and he came away impressed with the experience.

“It was really fun,” Wright said. “It was just cold. I didn’t stay out there the whole scrimmage, but I saw them throw the ball around a lot. They got Brennan Eagles out there, and I can seem myself being like him. They’re training him real good.” Wright spent time on campus with Texas commit Jordan Whittington, and the two have formed a nice bond. Wright said that Whittington has been recruiting him. “We were talking about it,” Wright said. “We’re just trying to make moves.”

Wright also spent time with Texas wide receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey, and that connection made a lasting impression. “I hung out with LJ,” Wright said. “He was telling me that whatever I saw was how it is. There ain’t nothing fake. I went to the meetings and saw how the coaches actually talked. Coach Drew (Mehringer) was talking how it was. There wasn’t nothing fake.”

Wright stayed after practice and spent more time with Humphrey. Wright said he saw a lot of similarities in their personalities. “We hung out all day ‘til night time,” Wright said. “Me and him are exactly alike. I think we might be cousins or something. We’ve been through the same stuff. We were just catching up on life and a bunch of stuff like that.”

Wright said that the visit solidified the Longhorns near the top of his list, but at the same time he’s planning on being patient with the process. “They are going up,” he said. “I’ve been there about three times now, but my mom is telling me to take my time, so I’m not trying to rush it.” At 6-foot-3, 192 pounds, Wright is ranked as the No. 31 wide receiver in the nation and No. 25 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Mike Roach: "Based on how I think Texas has the [remaining WR targets] of the guys left on the board: 1) Dylan Wright 2) Garrett Wilson 3) Jake Smith 4) Elijah Higgins"

E.J. Holland: Four-star ILB David Gbenda recaps Texas visit

Texas hosted a key defensive target this weekend. Four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda made his way to Austin to get another look at the program and take in the Longhorns’ weekend scrimmage. “It went well,” Gbenda said. “I really enjoyed my interactions with the players and the scrimmage. The scrimmage was high intensity. They were getting after it. I feel like I would fit in as their rover.”

Gbenda also got spend some extended time with defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and chatted with head coach Tom Herman. “My conversations with them went well,” Gbenda said. “I talked more to Coach Orlando. It was more on recruiting, and it really stuck with me. He’s a great coach who teaches the game.” Texas has been pegged as the favorite in Gbenda’s recruitment. However, the Longhorns face stiff competition from Texas A&M, which has also hosted him for multiple visits this offseason.

Gbenda is also strongly considering schools like Oklahoma State and TCU. When asked where exactly Texas stands following the visit, he was sure not to give too much away. “They are on my list for sure,” Gbenda said. Gbenda is looking to make a decision before the summer. He does not have any spring official visits set at this time. At 6-foot, 212 pounds, Gbenda is ranked as the No. 12 inside linebacker in the country and No. 43 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's gotta be height. I suspect Herman isn't eager to repeat the Terrell Cuney experience. 

He's about the same height as Green and Kardell Thomas... I'm not sure if these photos will show because they're from IT. Maybe they think he's too guard specific, is already maxed out, or isn't athletic enough

ejam.jpg

ejut.jpg

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A few things to pass on.

1) Shephard and Green are still ATM leans. Not sure to what degree, but it's going to be hard to do a clean sweep of everyone Texas wants in-state this year. Still, Texas has made up a ton of ground.

2) Bragg has some pretty serious pressure on him regarding Stanford and the family has seen UT's pitch. We have to get this guy and right now, he's going to be a tough pull. 

3) OSU and Texas both believe they're getting Wilson.

4) While we have a legit shot with Wilkins, ArkyChad has strong recruiting capabilities. There's plenty of reason to believe that this player is going to wind up at Arky.

5) Either Cain or Major. 

6) The Nigerian WR guy from DFW is going to ATM and he'll be a flex TE. He's a total stud. 

7) The Nigerian guard guy from DFW is not a take.

8) Gabriel Hall is this year's Christian Jones. 

9) LSU will land some guys from Texas this year. Baton Rouge has a disproportionate amount of serial killers in its history, relative to its size as a town. Sort of a larger version of Pasadena, TX in that regard, and probably for the same reasons.

10) If Jake Smith doesn't go to UCLA, Texas could be the school. Not in spite of the other 4 main targets at WR, but because he's an absolute badass in the slot. 

11) Owen Pappoe is as likely to wind up at Texas as sarvanaash is to wind up being optimistic. 

12) The state's 2019 is chock full of prima donnas and it's a legitimate concern for various coaches during this cycle. There are a lot of guys with red flags of one sort or another, so the homework in this cycle is pretty damned important.

This shit is fluid and I make no promises to these being anything other than snapshots of info in time.

User name checks

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Offensive line, more so than any other position, looks like the unit where our haul would be most bolstered by a good year on the field.

Edit: possibly tight end as well.

really? who do you think would jump? looks like the most we could hope for this year are Cupp and Wiley. maybe the AZ. kid with a good year

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Is it possible that EJNO is one of those prospects with issues not relating to talent?

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I don't think it's off the field, unless he's a year old for his grade or something like that 

16 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Wasnt there a report out there awhile back from Allen people that EJNO was a situational offensive lineman that only could run a couple different plays?

Im pretty sure I remember reading someone on the site that shall not be named who said that EJNO could only be put in at certain times because he didn't/couldn't learn the playbook and that his effort was very subpar due to low motor and lack of conditioning but I can't remember what the source was on that. 

Just now, NorLa Horns said:

really? who do you think would jump? looks like the most we could hope for this year are Cupp and Wiley. maybe the AZ. kid with a good year

With a good year on the field, especially one featuring the tight ends, we'd get looks from nationally elite TE prospects.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

11 OL offers out total.  4 have never even visited, 1 apparently isn't a take ( EJ ), and 1 is a pipe dream ( Thomas ).

And Wilkins trending away at this time. Hoping for 3 of Johnson, Bragg, Shepherd,  green, and then find a late bloomer Christian Jones type unless all 4 come?  

Is 4 a realistic number for this class?  It seems low. 

We're taking at least 5 unless we're a complete disaster on the field next season. And even then, we'll probably take 5 but will have to take a couple more late bloomers than originally anticipated.

Edit: and going 4/4 on Shepherd, Green, Bragg and Johnson was always going to be a tough ask. You guys have just been riding the recruiting roller coaster, much like ATM fans during the regular season.

Edited by Machinator

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I thought I read that Wilkins grew up out west and moved to Arkansas in high school.  Is that incorrect?  Because I don't see the allure of Arky Chad for a Polynesian kid who didn't grow up there.

Polynesian Luau - Roasted pig - Arky Chad Lock. Do you even flow chart bro?