Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, well, well. 

One of the things I enjoy about recruiting is that it's an unpredictable thing to follow. Maybe at macro levels, things aren't totally surprising on an ongoing basis, but at the micro levels on a case by case basis, the pendulum can swing violently for and against my interests.

It takes a stomach to enjoy it, though, and some of you pussy-rubbing hillbillies should be disqualified from posting here because you can't handle it and your wailing and gnashing of teeth shames the rest of us by association. 

While this weekend certainly took on a case by case turn for the worse, those stating that we ceded the weekend to our enemies are correct. What were UT's options? Host a shitty BBQ gathering in which 4 3-stars named Biff show up because other schools hosting their spring games aren't interested? 

ATM has allegedly now taken the position of guaranteeing a starting spot to 3 different recruits in this class. As true freshmen. I guess, on some level, some of you may find it comforting that they can only do that 22 times each year. I find the premise amusing, flat out. To some guys, this is going to make a dent - see Brian Williams. Apparently Leal. It's going to be interesting to see if Richardson chooses to lose his spot on the magical depth chart by visiting elsewhere. Apparently, that's the dangle. Not the scholarship offer itself. This seems like a road fraught with peril for the staff doing this kind of thing.

Stacey Wilkins has always seemed like a classic OU/Arkansas type, Pacific islander roots notwithstanding. I'm not conceding the recruitment, but I've never liked our position. 

Leal is a case of whiplash for everyone, I think including the family. Let's see if that is permanent or if time plays into our favor. There's no spinning on this one that everyone shouldn't feel worried about it, though. 

I guess now we really get to see how strong this staff is at this recruiting thing. Fisher and team certainly have a plan. Riley too. Herman's staff has been executing against a strong plan as well, but as the philosopher-king Mike Tyson once stated, "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face". What is the staff doing to hit back? Should be an interesting spring and summer. 

Texas, LSU and Bama all host recruits this weekend at their spring games. Who goes where among the recruits should be telling for everyone. Do some that we wanted stay home after attending either OU or ATM last weekend? I am betting so. Do some that we wanted go to LSU or Bama? I bet so. Will we have a slew of guys in attendance including some surprises? I assume so as well. Whatever the case, my guess is that if there are any silents in UT's hip pocket, some of them will be asked to step forward soon. 

You misspelled "Errbody."

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe telling them straight up right now is a bold move, but if Leal is as good as his tape shows, and A&M's DL depth is as poor as it seems on paper, then telling him he's a day 1 starter doesn't sound that far-fetched. It will certainly backfire if they make this kind of promise on a regular basis.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Yesh said:

I wonder how the current aggy players feel about having their spots guaranteed to high school juniors.

Very likely they don't know. Only a few years ago that Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray were both promised they'd start in the same year. Can't imagine either knew of the promise to the other or they wouldn't have reacted so strongly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SamTex said:

Very likely they don't know. Only a few years ago that Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray were both promised they'd start in the same year. Can't imagine either knew of the promise to the other or they wouldn't have reacted so strongly. 

How'd that turn out again?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deech said:

yeah, but can you believe some Mock Draft's have Malik dropping to the third round?

Speaking of Malik. I've lost track of how many top guys in the state were heavy aggee leans only to wind up at Texas.  They see all the swaying and humping and think "Hey that might be cool" until later when they realize it's just weird.  

IT

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

Spring ball wraps up this week with the Orange-White scrimmage on Saturday. An early visitor list, latest from UT's top targets, and more. The Scoop has a lot to say.

This time last year Tom Herman was up against a tired, yet still formidable Bob Stoops, and a former recruiting buzz saw turned buzzed sod in Kevin Sumlin. Now he's up against the energetic and successful in year one Lincoln Riley, and seasoned used car salesman with new car smell, Jimbo Fisher. What a difference a calendar makes.

If Fisher didn't have your attention before this past weekend, he does now. Off the board comes Baylor Cupp, a player Texas liked but had very little chance with from the onset. Highly touted defensive backs, Erick Young and Bobby Wolfe may soon follow. Of course, it's well known by now, DeMarvin Leal is teetering and nearly touching the Aggieland ground as the entire Texas staff tries to counter the weight.

OU had an even better weekend, even if most of it was expected. Stud receivers Theo Wease and Arjei Henderson re-committed. Texas wasn't really on either of them. Texas was recruiting Jamal Morris, however, who also made the predictable call for the Sooners. Riley also added three-star North Carolina defensive tackle Derek Green.

We've often mentioned Texas wants to remain patient but with A&M's return to momentum and OU faring well, it may be time for the Texas staff to strike back. This weekend's spring game presents a good opportunity to do so.

Of course we'll have that event covered front, back, and side to side.

MARCUS BANKS

The Spring Dekaney cornerback's life was turned upside down with the unexpected passing of his father this spring. When asked how he was coping with that he answered it with his head held high and his eyes slowly filling with tears. His pain and strength was felt by the entire pool of reporters surrounding him. I passed along the sentiments from many readers here.

Banks knows he must forge on. He's still competing like he normally would and is getting back into the swing of recruiting.

On how the last few weeks have been:
"It's been kinda chill because I had a tragedy happen in my family so they [coaches] kinda understood that; kinda chilled a little bit and gave me some time. I've been still talking to a couple of schools and trying to narrow my list down."

Schools he's been talking to the most:
"I've been talking to Texas, Texas A&M, I've been talking to Auburn a lot, LSU, I've been talking to Penn State some, Bama, uh..., those are the schools I've been talking to the most."

On his May 4th official visit to Texas:
"I talked to Malcolm [Epps] about it. He said his went well. I tried to ask him, like how did it go. He said he had a fun time so I'm excited to see what they have in store for me."

On Epps recruiting him:
"Yeah, uh huh [On Epps recruiting him hard]. At the same time he wants me to pick the school that's best for me but he still wants me to go to Texas with him and he always tells me that. He said that if I don't go to Texas he's going to be mad at me. He always jokes around about that."

What has contact been like with LSU:
"LSU, Coach Busch, the safety coach, he texts me every morning. He texts me and my mom every morning. Coach Raymond texts, Coach Orgeron texts me a lot. They've been real consistent."

Where does LSU stand:
"I like the LSU program. I think they do a real good job developing their DB's and bringing them into the league. It speaks for itself, DBU over at LSU. I have family ties down there also at LSU so that plays a big role into it."

Previously named LSU his leader:
"Now I would say, there are a couple of schools that are just...what I'm doing now is I'm going to take all my official visits and kinda like go from there. I kind of took a step back and re-evaluated all the schools that have offered me and tried to make sure I was making the right choice and wasn't favoring anybody over the other schools so after all my official visits I'll make my decision."

Timeline: 
"I'm going to try and get them all in the spring [official visits] so I can be committed before the season starts."

Other OV's:
"The only ones I have so far are Texas and Texas A&M. Texas A&M April 27th and Texas May 5th. I'm still trying to figure out what the three others are going to be."

Banks goes on to say he has a really good relationship with Texas cornerback coach Jason Washington. He mentioned how Washington had a good relationship with his father.

This one is tough to read. A&M might have Erick Young and Bobby Wolfe committed by the time he visits. It's curious he doesn't have an official visit to LSU set up yet.

I think this is either LSU because of his family ties to Baton Rouge or Texas on the strength of his relationship with Washington.

ZACH ZIMOS

Fort Bend Travis athlete Zach Zimos is flying under the radar but his offer list contains two great early indicators of upside in Cal (and Justin Wilcox) and Boise State.

He's currently 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, but he's easily destined for 250 which will bring the potential of inside linebacker, rush linebacker, defensive end and even tight end.

Cal is recruiting him for middle linebacker. Texas likes him at B-backer which I believe is his best fit.

Zimos first caught my eye on tape but then he did the same at a 7 on 7 where I didn't know who he was at first.

Texas' spring game on the 21st, Cal 27th-29th, will take visits after spring ball. He's currently rated outside of the in-state top 100 but it's a farce. Someone will get a stud with NFL growth potential. Check the neck.

We're starting a big week. Today is the first day of the spring evaluation period. Coaches will be on the road soon. With one remaining spring practice, I anticipate the UT staff hitting all the stops. We'll have more on that later this week, along with a comprehensive attendee list for the spring game on Saturday night.

It’ll be large, which shouldn't be surprising. Don't forget how well of a show Texas puts on during these visits. After this last weekend, thought y'all needed a reminder.

SPRING GAME PRE-PRIMER

Spring Game list time:

DeGabriel Floyd, Westlake Village (CA) (LB) (TEXAS): The newest Longhorn pledge will be in Austin again. This time to check out the Orange-White scrimmage. I'm not surprised and won't be when/if Bru McCoy visits Austin at some point. Floyd is working the west coast.

Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (QB) (TEXAS): The leader of the #fUTure19 will be in the house that DKR built. 

Jake Smith, Scottsdale, AZ (WR): The 4-star pass-catcher and Jordan Shipley clone has already taken an unofficial to Austin once. He saw enough to make sure he returns. That's happening. More on him later.

Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (WR): That smell that hit your nose was the Ohio State post-visit fragrance. He's been upfront about the Buckeyes and Longhorns. He sees himself at either institution. Meyer brought out the big guns last weekend. Time for Herman to counter.

Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) (RB): Cain and Texas continue to look good. The LSU factor will remain just that until this kid signs on NSD. But he's telling people the Horns look great and I believe him.

Zach Williams, Little Rock, AR (DE): The 6-foot-4, 220-pound weakside DE from Robinson HS has a nice offer list including Alabama, Georgia, and Florida among others. His tape is nice too. Most have him pegged to the in-state Hogs, but that's why you play the game.

Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis, (OLB): At 6-foot-4, 205, Zimos' reputation continues to grow. Good junior tape + good camp appearances equal decent offers. Boise State, California, Colorado, and Houston are on him, and UT wants a closer look.

Zach Evans
, GP North Shore (RB): The state's top prospect for 2020 has been to Austin four times this year. This bodes well for the Longhorns.

Khalan Griffin, John Tyler (QB): JT's newest signal-caller stays in touch with coach Beck and coach Warehime, and is looking forward to returning to the 40 Acres after his Junior Day trip.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is a very fluid list. New names could pop up daily and we'll update you when more guys are confirmed. Last weekend was A&M's and OU's time to shine. Batter up, Texas.

OFFICIAL VISIT SEASON

The May 4th-6th weekend looms large. Despite the fact UT is hosting some of the best prospects in the country, one top target will announce his decision on May 4th - Kenyatta Watson Jr. A pledge from one of the nation's top corners would be an excellent precursor to the event.

Louisiana natives Makiya Tongue and Derek Stingley Jr. will be on campus along with Spring DeKaney 4-star CB Marcus Banks, FW Nolan Catholic 4-star LB/DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah. For Tongue, this is trending nicely for UT. An underrated three-star OLB/ATH, the University Lab product holds 25 offers including Clemson, Auburn, Michigan, and Tennessee. As for Stingley, most have the four-star pegged for LSU, but the Dunham School product and Baton Rouge native is still weighing his options.

Speaking of NaNa, the top UT target announced last week he was down to the Longhorns and Fighting Irish. He took his OV to South Bend last weekend and came away with nothing but positive vibes. People close to Osafo-Mensah say he was leaning Texas before the trip, and even after a great trip to ND, some feel Texas still holds the slight lead. Add to the fact he's got his last OV scheduled for Austin and I think he's UT's to lose.

JAKE SMITH

One of the most coveted wide receivers in the country is returning to the ATX. UT made such a good impression on the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder from Notre Dame Preparatory in Scottsdale, AZ and his father that the Smiths are coming to Austin.

When you've got basically every school to choose from - Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Auburn, Michigan, and others - getting your foot in the door is the first step. Texas has that. Then getting him back on campus is the next step. UT will have that.

“Texas stands out because it has everything you could want in a college," said Smith. "The fans are crazy about their Longhorns, the city is awesome and the education is great too. And I think Texas is going to be competing for national championships soon.”

The high four-star Smith is a guy you stay on for the duration. His route-running, body control, speed, and hands are exceptional. He fits everywhere. Hopefully the Texas staff maintains the early momentum because USC and Ohio State are making a good impression as well.

Would y’all say schools (OU,a&m) are pushing Texas out of state or Texas is choosing or bit of both.

Floyd was expect since the LB options in-state aren’t good. -Texas’ choice.

Besides Wilson, Higgins, and Jordan Texas seems to be focusing out of state. Don’t remember if Texas ever had interest in those WR’s that just committed to OU again or maybe they didn’t have interest. - don’t know

With the DB class last year the other schools are hammering that to the in-state DBs. Make sense to go out of state. At the moment it only seems banks is the only real shot at Texas. Richardson would get back in if he ever made a visit. But if they lock up young and Wolfe he may stay. - bit of both, but more pushed out due to the 18 class.

Regardless I see Texas is looking more out of state with many positions, which I like. Texas needs to recruit nationally.

2 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Would y’all say schools (OU,a&m) are pushing Texas out of state or Texas is choosing or bit of both.

Floyd was expect since the LB options in-state aren’t good. -Texas’ choice.

Besides Wilson, Higgins, and Jordan Texas seems to be focusing out of state. Don’t remember if Texas ever had interest in those WR’s that just committed to OU again or maybe they didn’t have interest. - don’t know

With the DB class last year the other schools are hammering that to the in-state DBs. Make sense to go out of state. At the moment it only seems banks is the only real shot at Texas. Richardson would get back in if he ever made a visit. But if they lock up young and Wolfe he may stay. - bit of both, but more pushed out due to the 18 class.

Regardless I see Texas is looking more out of state with many positions, which I like. Texas needs to recruit nationally.

Little bit of both really IMO. A lot of guys with a lot of baggage in TX this cycle that might be athletically gifted but that we are not pursuing... I think the staff has their big board of who they want and they don't necessarily care about where he is from

• Like 1