Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Also we're taking some L's in recruiting right now and have a few more upcoming, but a May 1st Watson announcement fits with what I think is Herman's short term plan: 

Positive impression on a bunch (currently up to 29) of guys during the spring game 4/21

Start calling in commits in early May (apparently May 1st)

Big OV weekend May 4th

errybody

We all knew Jimbo would be a formidable opponent on the recruiting trail. The fact is, we tend to buy way too much stock in the 9.95ers “insider” info and what the recruits are saying. He’ll, at 17 years old, I was in love with a new piece of ass every weekend. The behavior exhibited by these young men shouldn’t be a surprise to any of us.

Edited by Casual Encounter

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Whole lot of pessimism and stupid on the board right now. People honestly wondering if Herman will put on a fun recruiting experience this weekend when he literally has a 100% track record of that over the past year. Pets heads falling off.

WWKD?  (What would Kate do)?

1 hour ago, ousux said:

It's normal to get caught up in the moment, it's not normal to get so caught up in the moment that you shut it down quickly with so much time left before signing day, and to aggy of all places. If Herman hadnt been on Leal early (let's say Jimbo was starting his second year at aggy while Herman was the new coach at UT) then it might make a bit more sense, but Leal was #1 on the board for us while Jimbo was still having awkward pressers at FSU.

Something happened this past weekend, what that is I couldn't tell you. I've been to Collie Station, and I don't think even being wined, dined and ass kissed like a top recruit would be enough for me to see that place as anything more than it really is...but I'm not a recruit in 2018 either.

Something happened this past weekend, what that is I couldn't tell you. I've been to Collie Station, and I don't think even being wined, dined and ass kissed like a top recruit would be enough for me to see that place as anything more than it really is...but I'm not a recruit in 2018 either.

So, has Herman made an attempt to talk to Leal and find out what the deal is?  What was he offered that would flip him over night?

Jumbo milked aggy for $75M guaranteed, he’s no idiot, we just got outfoxed with a recruit that may have been impressionable and caught up in the moment.

in regards to holding a starting position over their head, that’s retarded. He going to start the best player, regardless of their recruiting. You really think that if Leal visits Texas that he won’t start if he’s the best option?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Jumbo milked aggy for $75M guaranteed, he’s no idiot, we just got outfoxed with a recruit that may have been impressionable and caught up in the moment.

in regards to holding a starting position over their head, that’s retarded. He going to start the best player, regardless of their recruiting. You really think that if Leal visits Texas that he won’t start if he’s the best option?

Do you really have no clue about the fragile psychology of a 17 year old buyer? Are you one of those guys who thinks everyone gets conned but him? That you buy solely on logic and reason and leave the emotional decisions to the mouthbreathers and plebes? 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do you really have no clue about the fragile psychology of a 17 year old buyer? Are you one of those guys who thinks everyone gets conned but him? That you buy solely on logic and reason and leave the emotional decisions to the mouthbreathers and plebes? 

This. I’d venture to guess we’ve all experienced buyer’s remorse at least once following a major decision.

Even if Leal commits tmrw and doesnt flip, yes it's a big loss. Probably the biggest of the recruiting season. But it wont make or break either team. You're forgetting that Herman pushed in Jimbo's gaggle of 5 stars with a bunch of 2-3 star specials. 

I still like our chance of making the playoffs over the next few years than Aggy's chance of sniffing it. So hike up your skirts and grab your tits. 

Edited by TXs

21 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

It doesn't matter what he actually DOES and whether he starts them or not. Hell, with the excuse of this being Year 1 and him knowing that he'll be excused for a bad season, he may very well start these freshman and leave Sumlin's players on the bench. He's not under any real pressure to win this year, so he can make those promises and actually follow through. And then he can say, "Year 1... Young team... Implementing the system" yada yada.  From what I've heard about Herman, he won't make those types of guarantees. He's more of a "best player will play... We'll give you the tools to succeed... You'll have an opportunity to earn the spot" type. A lot of young kids love that short term gratification, not to their detriment, just how most 17 year olds are wired.

Gabe Brooks: P5 schools interested in 2019 OLB Curley Young

HOUSTON -- Curley Young is an emerging 2019 outside linebacker from Central Texas approaching double-digit FBS offers. Young caught up with 247Sports at Sunday's Under Armour Houston regional camp. The three-star prospect from Hendrickson High School in Pflugerville, Texas, most recently took an unofficial visit this past Saturday to Rice, which offered earlier in April.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Young's offer list also includes Air Force, Army West Point, Colorado State, New Mexico, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, and UTEP, in addition to a few FCS programs. The rising pass-rusher said more schools are showing interest, including Power Five conference programs. "Texas is close to offering. Arizona is close to offering. Kansas is close to offering," Young said. "Whenever I get those Power Five schools, all the rest should come."

Young's high school is 20 miles north of the Longhorns' stadium. He said he remains in contact with Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. "He's telling me that, most of all, just gain weight," Young said, "and he's going to come see practice (in the spring evaluation period)." Where on the field is Texas interested in Young? "It's that edge rusher-type of position," Young said. "It's like a hybrid linebacker/D-end."

On the hoof, Young looks larger and longer in his frame than his listed size would suggest. He's athletic off the edge and has performed well in multiple elite camps so far in the spring semester. The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks Young as the No. 64 outside linebacker nationally for the 2019 recruiting cycle, as well as the No. 105 overall recruit regardless of position in the state of Texas for his class.

Young, who competes in select 7-on-7 with talent-laden, Dallas-based True Buzz Group, is high on academics, so Rice appeals to him. He said defensive line coach Cedric Calhoun recruits him for the Owls. "I like coach Calhoun. He's pretty cool," Young said. "The visit was cool. They're one of the best academics schools you can go to, plus they have a good engineering program. That will be a school I look into."

As a junior, Young played defensive end in a four-man scheme, while also playing multiple linebacker spots in different packages. He is quick off the ball and active with his hands, showing a consistently good inside pass-rush move to get to the quarterback. Young helped Hendrickson to a 10-4 record and a state quarterfinal appearance in the Texas Class 6A Division I bracket, home to the state's largest schools.

While Young is confident in his ability to rush the passer, he said "I work on everything." "Just specific angles that I take on my pass rush, and then just dropping in coverage," Young said. "That's it, just speed and footwork and strength stuff."

nsYTSsO.png

Edited by satyanash

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

His tweet includes a "bag," and Herman and Co. got in trouble for taunting the opposing team with the "secure the bag" bit during the Mizzou game.

That can only mean that Leal is taunting aggy and is actually committing to the good guys tomorrow.

I like the way you think.

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin and Wells both followed up the post by saying Texas should offer Jaylen Ellis.

Texas has offered several other WRs. But not Ellis. there can really only be 2 reasons why that offer hasnt come. 

!. they know he would commit immediately and dont want to mess up their top 4 WR line-up potential of Wright, Wittington, Higgins, and Wilson

2. there are other "reasons" that he hasnt been offered

they know he would commit immediately and dont want to mess up their top 4 WR line-up potential of Wright, Wittington, Higgins, and Wilson

reading Nahlin and Wells' comments on the Higgins thread, it's evident that this probably isn't happening any longer. It looks like a class of Whittington, Wright, Ellis, and Jake Smith is the path forward.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

reading Nahlin and Wells' comments on the Higgins thread, it's evident that this probably isn't happening any longer. It looks like a class of Whittington, Wright, Ellis, and Jake Smith is the path forward.

That still wouldn't suck at all. Pulling Smith out of AZ won't be easy, though.

I'm not hopeless about Wilson yet, though. We still have our OV to strike back with.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ah the Night Before Leal's Commitment. 

I can almost hear Burton pecking away on his Packard Bell writing his "Wednesday" column bemoaning Oscar Giles. 

I expect the second "paragraph" to be an open love letter to his ole pal Tim Brewster. 

Burton hasn't been this down on Texas DL recruiting since last December's signing day.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

While there's reason for optimism with Smith visiting for the spring game after visiting in December and probably taking an OV at some point, this is going to be a very competitive recruitment, and probably shouldn't be in mock classes. He has a top five of Texas, USC, Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama, and has left the door open for UCLA, Oregon, Auburn, and Georgia to also win his recruitment. 

Regarding Higgins and Bragg, I think we're all suffering from BFS resulting from the Walker Little recruitment. The Stanford academic pitch is BS. I know it's one of the top universities on the planet, but hear me out: 

Look at how many Undeclared majors they on their roster: http://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?roster=673&path=football

47 folks. Forty-seven.  Many are upperclassmen. For those of you that work in academia or hell have kids in college, would you ever advise them to not have a major as junior? F*** no. 

Almost all of the Texas players are Undeclared. Future Rhodes Scholar and World Leader, Walker Little hasn't selected a major, but he's sure as hell playing football . 

They bend the admission rules for football players and steer them into easy majors; just like everyone else.  It's a football factory, like a fancy Auburn if you will.

Herman should be able to blow a hole in the Stanford Myth. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Plus it would go over real well in the locker room.

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So if you're a hiring manager, would you rather hire a McCombs graduate or a Stanford Media Studies graduate? 

That's fair, but we all know that the vast majority of players getting meaningful snaps at Texas are not McCombs students.

Respect to guys like Connor Williams and Kyle Porter bucking the trend.

I'm not saying Texas isn't a football factory as well. 5 Engineering Majors on our roster, all walk-ons. 1 Business Major, Kyle Porter.

What I am saying is that the come to Stanford, major in business or engineering pitch is complete BS. They don't bend the rules for those majors. 

So when they're promising a kid like Higgins the moon it pisses me off. He'd be lucky to get into Stanford, even with the help afforded to football recruits. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'd hire the Stanford one because they're obviously smarter, and then train them to be better at business.

6 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

This is the correct opinion.

You're going to teach them financial modeling on the fly? Without them ever taking calculus or trig in college? How the f*** does that work? 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You're going to teach them financial modeling on the fly? Without them ever taking calculus or trig? How the f*** does that work? 

Yep.  It's why all the big consulting firms like BCG, Bain and McKinsey hire more from the Ivies (no matter the major) vs. state school business schools.  Sorry, but it's true.  Then they teach them financial modeling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jester’s Inn said:

Just wondering, where is the proof (who said or posted) that Fisher is promising starting positions?   I haven't seen any evidence backing this.   Also, didn't Carrington post a "shhhssss" a few days ago?   Who was it?  I'm betting it's Leal.

closetojumping passed on the info (alleged, of course).

Carrington posted a "shhh" a couple of weeks ago, and it's almost certainly Watson or NaNa.

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You're going to teach them financial modeling on the fly? Without them ever taking calculus or trig? How the f*** does that work? 

I'd bet that a good amount of them have at least taken trig or calc in high school. Stanford only offers financial modeling as a graduate course. They have no undergraduate business school and their economics degree is less focused on technical business aspects since it's a BA.

30 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'd hire the Stanford one because they're obviously smarter, and then train them to be better at business.

Yea, but the smartest ain't necessarily the best choice.  I know a lot of very intelligent people, who aren't very smart....if you know what I mean.

There seems to be two schools of thought in our fanbase regarding Stanford:

1) Screw Stanford. They can stay the hell out of Texas. 

2) Good for the young man! Stanford is such a wonderful university, best of luck young fella! You can't fault him for taking a free Stanford education. 

Last comment I'll make on it: 

We need the in state recruits going to Stanford to win again. Look at their roster. 

Paulson Abedo, Obi Eboh, Michael Williams, Kaden Smith, and Walker Little would be playing prominent roles on the team had they picked Texas. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There seems to be two school of thoughts in the fanbase regarding Stanford:

1) Screw Stanford. They can stay the hell out of Texas. 

2) Good for the young man! Stanford is such a wonderful university, best of luck young fella! You can't fault him for taking a free Stanford education. 

Last comment I'll make on it: 

We need the in state recruits going to Stanford to win again. Look at their roster. 

Paulson Abedo, Obi Eboh, Michael Williams, Kaden Smith, and Walker Little would be playing prominent roles on the team had they picked Texas. 

Triggered. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle