Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There seems to be two school of thoughts in the fanbase regarding Stanford:

1) Screw Stanford. They can stay the hell out of Texas. 

2) Good for the young man! Stanford is such a wonderful university, best of luck young fella! You can't fault him for taking a free Stanford education. 

Last comment I'll make on it: 

We need the in state recruits going to Stanford to win again. Look at their roster. 

Paulson Abedo, Obi Eboh, Michael Williams, Kaden Smith, and Walker Little would be playing prominent roles on the team had they picked Texas. 

If Herman gets the team to consistently win again, then Stanford's academic pitch won't matter. Like you've said, UT is far from an academic slouch, obviously.

10 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Yep.  It's why all the big consulting firms like BCG, Bain and McKinsey hire more from the Ivies (no matter the major) vs. state school business schools.  Sorry, but it's true.  Then they teach them financial modeling.

Partly true. Partly false. Consulting firms and investment banking firms hire PEs from Texas. They also hire engineers from MIT, Penn, etc.

They do tend to bring in guys with connections and most of those with money send their kids to Ivy and Stanford with a few to places like Cal, Swarthmore, Rice, Michigan, Texas, etc. Overall, they tend to come from Harvard though because of connections and because as my brother likes to say - "if I have to fire the guy I can at least tell my boss that he was a Harvard grad". With that said, my brother was very successful in investment banking with his Texas degree and I've been offered jobs in VC in Palo Alto with my Texas degree. So, it can be done.

So much hand wringing over 17 year olds. Everything I read here is pure conjecture, regardless of whom it's from. 9.95ers know very little, outside of what they think they glean from their "scoops" and relationship with some recruit. 17 year old Football players are prima donnas in today's world, maybe they always have been-- but they are also having fun, and trying to make life-determining decisions based on a "weekend" red carpet visit. And they also love to BS. I know I did in high school, and would think they do too. So my advice is to pause, trust Herman and our staff, and let this thing play out like it should. My gut feeling on Leal, is that he says Ags now, and flips later--He has a Momma, and she loves Herman. But what the hell do I know? I know we are gettin' errrbody>>>that we want. And if a kid chooses the ags, I say screw him. He may be SEC good, but he isn't Texas good. And that's what matters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So if you're a hiring manager, would you rather hire a McCombs graduate or a Stanford Media Studies graduate? 

It depends on how good the McCombs student was and how good the Stanford Media Studies graduate is. If the McCombs student is an above average McCombs student and the Stanford Media Studies student is an above average Stanford Media Studies student, I'll take the Stanford kid. They'll have taken the necessary math classes for me to teach them what they need to do business. It's really not that hard to learn if you got a couple brain cells. Now, if it's an elite McCombs kid vs an elite Stanford Media Studies kid, I'll take the McCombs kid because the tops of most good schools are roughly equal in terms of raw skills and the kid has business training which should save me some time getting them to speed. If they're average or below average wherever they are, I'm not considering them.

7 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Business school talk not going away. 

That will be quite enough, Radical Larry! Maybe bribes, kickbacks and Mafia payoffs are how YOU do business! But they are NOT part of the legitimate business world! And they are certainly not part of anything I am doing in this class. Do I make myself clear, Radical Larry!

• Like 1

EJ after dark: Intel on upcoming decisions

— Kenyatta Watson II has a decision date. The four-star defensive back out of Grayson (GA) will make his commitment on May 1, just days following his official visit to Texas. So where do the Longhorns stand? While Watson has maintained that this is a neck and neck race between UT and Notre Dame, we have reason to believe the Horns have the edge in this race. As long as everything goes according to plan on his official visit on April 27, Tom Herman and co. should be able to win him over. Still, Watson is still in constant contact with Notre Dame, and the Irish will make their push.

— May 1 is also the commitment date for five-star Grayson (GA) outside linebacker Owen Pappoe. Texas will get the last crack as it will host him for an official visit on April 27. However, Texas will need to hit a grand slam as well as land the aforementioned Watson in order to have any shot with Pappoe. Right now, we are continuing to hear that he wants to stay closer to home and will likely end up at Auburn or Georgia. This one is a long shot.

— Grayson (GA) wide receiver Kenyon Jackson will not be making his decision on May 1 like his teammates. Instead, the four-star prospect will be taking his time with the process. Jackson might be a name that gets lost when talking about wide receiver recruiting, but the Longhorns are right in the thick of things and will host him for an official visit on April 27. Texas will be the first school to host Jackson for an OV, and it is obviously imperative for the Longhorns to make a strong impression.

— As we first reported, Texas will host rising Arizona cornerback Javin Wright for an unofficial visit on Thursday. Don’t sleep on this recruit. UCLA extended an offer to Wright, and I’m told by a source that the Longhorns have legitimate interest and expect his stock to soar through the roof during the spring evaluation period. Texas actually stopped by to see Wright in December, and he is firmly on the radar.

With college football coaches now free to hit high school campuses in search of talent, it didn't take long for Chandler Hamilton junior defensive back Javin Wright to become one of the state's more wanted prospects. Wright (6-3, 190) announced on Monday an offer from UCLA, followed by an offer from Arizona State on Tuesday. Those are his third and fourth overall offers. Before that, he had been offered by Arizona and Air Force.

Hamilton's Javin Wright (3) breaks up a pass intended

Hamilton's Javin Wright (3) breaks up a pass intended for Perry's D'shayne James (2) during the state football quarterfinal playoff at Gilbert High on October 20, 2017. #hsfb Gilbert vs. Highland (Photo: Cheryl Evans/azcentral sports)

Wright, a cornerback, has a great football lineage. His father is Toby Wright, who was a top high school running back and defensive back in the late 1980s at Mesa Dobson, before starring at Nebraska and later playing in the NFL."They like how long and rangy I am at my position," Wright said. "They also like how sound my technique is. Hopefully, this is just the beginning."All I can do is keep working hard and keep praying for what I want."

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

With college football coaches now free to hit high school campuses in search of talent, it didn't take long for Chandler Hamilton junior defensive back Javin Wright to become one of the state's more wanted prospects. Wright (6-3, 190) announced on Monday an offer from UCLA, followed by an offer from Arizona State on Tuesday. Those are his third and fourth overall offers. Before that, he had been offered by Arizona and Air Force.

Hamilton's Javin Wright (3) breaks up a pass intended

Hamilton's Javin Wright (3) breaks up a pass intended for Perry's D'shayne James (2) during the state football quarterfinal playoff at Gilbert High on October 20, 2017. #hsfb Gilbert vs. Highland (Photo: Cheryl Evans/azcentral sports)

Wright, a cornerback, has a great football lineage. His father is Toby Wright, who was a top high school running back and defensive back in the late 1980s at Mesa Dobson, before starring at Nebraska and later playing in the NFL."They like how long and rangy I am at my position," Wright said. "They also like how sound my technique is. Hopefully, this is just the beginning."All I can do is keep working hard and keep praying for what I want."

It seems like Chandler has a blue chip recruit if every cycle. I would add it to the West Coast Spring Evaluation itinerary. 

Per TFB, Stacey Wilkins will save his two remaining unscheduled OVs for the fall. He's done OU (last weekend), and he will go to Bama this weekend and Texas on May 4.

That’s good. Thought he would shut it down soon. The longer the visit high wears off from OU the better.

That will be quite enough, Radical Larry! Maybe bribes, kickbacks and Mafia payoffs are how YOU do business! But they are NOT part of the legitimate business world! And they are certainly not part of anything I am doing in this class. Do I make myself clear, Radical Larry!

Your wife was just showing me her Klimt.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding Higgins and Bragg, I think we're all suffering from BFS resulting from the Walker Little recruitment. The Stanford academic pitch is BS. I know it's one of the top universities on the planet, but hear me out: 

Look at how many Undeclared majors they on their roster: http://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?roster=673&path=football

47 folks. Forty-seven.  Many are upperclassmen. For those of you that work in academia or hell have kids in college, would you ever advise them to not have a major as junior? F*** no. 

Almost all of the Texas players are Undeclared. Future Rhodes Scholar and World Leader, Walker Little hasn't selected a major, but he's sure as hell playing football . 

They bend the admission rules for football players and steer them into easy majors; just like everyone else.  It's a football factory, like a fancy Auburn if you will.

Herman should be able to blow a hole in the Stanford Myth. 

Ha, listen man I've really enjoyed your posting contributions here so far on Surly. But I have to point out a bit of hypocrisy here...We all think UT is a superior education to most other universities in our region, if not most in the country. And that's somewhat justified, naturally. But pointing out that 47 Stanford football players are undeclared, and then 2 sentences later citing that almost ALL of Texas football players are undeclared is...sorta proving the point that Stanford's academic pitch isn't BS? They're at just under half to our just under 90% (guessing on the UT side). That sorta paints Stanford as the superior academic football school. 

Also, if your notion is to blow up the idea that any football based academic pitch doesn't mean shit because everyone funnels guys into easy majors and it's really all about football...well, thanks, but I think I prefer to believe that UT is a great education and has substantial benefits, even for football players. Especially now that aTm is a degree mill. But that's just me, maybe I'm being a homer. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There seems to be two schools of thought in our fanbase regarding Stanford:

1) Screw Stanford. They can stay the hell out of Texas. 

2) Good for the young man! Stanford is such a wonderful university, best of luck young fella! You can't fault him for taking a free Stanford education. 

Last comment I'll make on it: 

We need the in state recruits going to Stanford to win again. Look at their roster. 

Paulson Abedo, Obi Eboh, Michael Williams, Kaden Smith, and Walker Little would be playing prominent roles on the team had they picked Texas. 

No one is arguing this point at all man. Why do you think everyone gets their panties in a twist when Stanford gets on a guy. Those are traditionally the more intelligent recruits that historically Texas has feasted upon...until Mack Brown abandoned his clothes and started prancing around the 40 acres and various Big 12 venues from approximately 2010 onward. 

No one is sitting here going "Shit, Solomon Thomas, we didn't need that guy." pfftt.

What I would argue is that most people, including myself, have a school of thought on Stanford that combines those two, more like:

"Screw Stanford, hope they get and stay the fuck out of Texas. But it's a great school, so can't knock the kid for going to Stanford." The two aren't diametrically opposed, I can hate the school and respect the kid's decision. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha, listen man I've really enjoyed your posting contributions here so far on Surly. But I have to point out a bit of hypocrisy here...We all think UT is a superior education to most other universities in our region, if not most in the country. And that's somewhat justified, naturally. But pointing out that 47 Stanford football players are undeclared, and then 2 sentences later citing that almost ALL of Texas football players are undeclared is...sorta proving the point that Stanford's academic pitch isn't BS? They're at just under half to our just under 90% (guessing on the UT side). That sorta paints Stanford as the superior academic football school. 

Also, if your notion is to blow up the idea that any football based academic pitch doesn't mean shit because everyone funnels guys into easy majors and it's really all about football...well, thanks, but I think I prefer to believe that UT is a great education and has substantial benefits, even for football players. Especially now that aTm is a degree mill. But that's just me, maybe I'm being a homer. 

I'm done discussing Stanford. This fanbase would rather worry about Stanford than compete against them. 

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

College sports are a full-time job. It is extremely difficult to manage a tough major and football. Most on this board could not do it. And it is getting worse in that to compete with the football factory schools like Bama, you have to play by their rules.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

It'll be nice when Leal's commitment today brings all the doommongers in to overwhelm the annual Stanford conversation. 

You mean they aren't here already?

And Fuck Stanford. Shut the fuck up about Stanford, you idiots.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think he meant almost all the Standford players from Texas are undeclared. By my count, 6 out of the 8 players from Texas are undeclared. The only one's not are a long snapper, and a fifth year senior.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not to bring stanford talk back, but he meant almost all the Texas players at Stanford are undeclared.  Not almost all the Texas players at Texas.....

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Not to bring stanford talk back, but he meant almost all the Texas players at Stanford are undeclared.  Not almost all the Texas players at Texas.....

Thanks Viper and Renegade. I guess his 49 number or whatever it was made me think it was an apples to apples situation. 

• Like 1