Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Basically Bodacious Bevo is correct. And White was behind Bonito on the list. When FCB fucked UT, Bonito bolted and White came into the picture. At that point it was too little too late.

Anyway, the bigger point is that UT is only going after elite LBs. The state of Texas has been weak at linebacker. Brooks was one. Gbenda was two. Brooks lost it - turned in his ball. Gbenda may be given his dream shot, but Gbenda isn't elite.

And so we have been forced to go out of state for elite guys.We got one guy, Floyd. We are going after McCoy, Davis, Tongue,  Tufono, Henry, Mangham, and Cooper. We need at least 3 and the odds of getting 2 out of that group isn't great. However, I wouldn't say that it is time to give up and bring in Gbenda. It may be the eventual outcome but since his size/speed combination isn't ideal, I agree with Orlando who is waiting on the other guys. If they don't pan out then it is time to circle back and reconsider Gbenda or Lytle or some other "late rising senior".

And I think Hobbs and Overshown have the potential to be very good lbs for us after they put on weight and learn the position.

LB recruiting has been pretty quiet this year. Why is that? As you have rightfully stated we are going mostly OOS because there are no elite LBs in state. This also means that our 9.95 don't have as much insights on the recruits. Just look at Houston, until last week, very few were projecting him to come to UT. Gbenda will probably commit if we push. That fact that we don't should be a hint that we currently feel could about the guys higher on our board. Last year Chip Brown (who ought to be fucked!) cost us Bonitto. Otherwise we would have gotten a pretty swell LB corps in him, AA, Hobbs, and Overshown (who I think will ultimately end up at Rover). Even without him, it is still pretty nice.

That's we I'm not too worried about LB recruiting at this point. I think there is a good chance Tongue will end up with us, Tufono loved his visit and getting him back on campus would be big (I think he is dropping his top 5 this week). Personally, I love Davis and would love for him to come to us, but I think UGA is the safe pick here (which would in turn increase our chances for Tongue). Cooper is a little bit of a dark horse at this point, but IIRC he is supposed to visit sometime this summer. There will always be a place for Bru, and we will see how this will play out. I think we will get at least one of those guys and there is a decent probability that we will get two. That's why the staff might not be pushing as hard for Gbenda right now. Could it backfire à la White? Absolutely, but only time will tell

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Basically Bodacious Bevo is correct. And White was behind Bonito on the list. When FCB fucked UT, Bonito bolted and White came into the picture. At that point it was too little too late.

Anyway, the bigger point is that UT is only going after elite LBs. The state of Texas has been weak at linebacker. Brooks was one. Gbenda was two. Brooks lost it - turned in his ball. Gbenda may be given his dream shot, but Gbenda isn't elite.

And so we have been forced to go out of state for elite guys.We got one guy, Floyd. We are going after McCoy, Davis, Tongue,  Tufono, Henry, Mangham, and Cooper. We need at least 3 and the odds of getting 2 out of that group isn't great. However, I wouldn't say that it is time to give up and bring in Gbenda. It may be the eventual outcome but since his size/speed combination isn't ideal, I agree with Orlando who is waiting on the other guys. If they don't pan out then it is time to circle back and reconsider Gbenda or Lytle or some other "late rising senior".

And I think Hobbs and Overshown have the potential to be very good lbs for us after they put on weight and learn the position.

Had you some nice Top Gun going there.

6 hours ago, T-dog said:

LB recruiting has been pretty quiet this year. Why is that? As you have rightfully stated we are going mostly OOS because there are no elite LBs in state. This also means that our 9.95 don't have as much insights on the recruits. Just look at Houston, until last week, very few were projecting him to come to UT. Gbenda will probably commit if we push. That fact that we don't should be a hint that we currently feel could about the guys higher on our board. Last year Chip Brown (who ought to be fucked!) cost us Bonitto. Otherwise we would have gotten a pretty swell LB corps in him, AA, Hobbs, and Overshown (who I think will ultimately end up at Rover). Even without him, it is still pretty nice.

That's we I'm not too worried about LB recruiting at this point. I think there is a good chance Tongue will end up with us, Tufono loved his visit and getting him back on campus would be big (I think he is dropping his top 5 this week). Personally, I love Davis and would love for him to come to us, but I think UGA is the safe pick here (which would in turn increase our chances for Tongue). Cooper is a little bit of a dark horse at this point, but IIRC he is supposed to visit sometime this summer. There will always be a place for Bru, and we will see how this will play out. I think we will get at least one of those guys and there is a decent probability that we will get two. That's why the staff might not be pushing as hard for Gbenda right now. Could it backfire à la White? Absolutely, but only time will tell

Floyd , Tufono, and Davis. 

Would happy time in my pants. Fo reals yall

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

Just sitting here wondering one good thing chip brown is good for? Besides constantly fucking us over.

At the risk of being downvoted into oblivion, I would point out that he led the jihad against Patterson. Unfortunately, he now seems to have similar anti-Herman mania.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-tuesday-july-10th/

– This weekend, 2019 WR, Elijah Higgins dropped his final seven which included Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Stanford, and Texas.

An interesting omission was Texas A&M. We had heard Higgins liked TAMU but I always go back to one of my initial conversations with Higgins when he put a big emphasis on living in what he sees as a cool city. Not to disparage College Station but he didn’t seem keen on the city. He certainly seemed to like his hometown of Austin.

If living in a bigger city really is a priority to Higgins then one would think Stanford and Ohio State are the real threats.

Higgins parents are originally from Florida so I’ll throw them in there.

Following the clues, I’d surmise Higgins already has a top four of Texas, Stanford, Ohio State and Florida.

I’ll be asking around to see if there are any of that top four list we feel can be cut or added. – (Super K)

– Texas also added commitments on Saturday from WR Demariyon Houston and DB Marques Caldwell. Pushing the Longhorns to 13 commits in the 2019 class, and pushing them into the Top 10 in the recruiting team rankings.

Team Notes:

It already looks like Texas has some talent in the group of early enrollee freshmen. Guys like Cook, Sterns, Ayodele, and Foster will likely see the field this year.

But we’ve been asking around about the freshmen who enrolled this summer and three names came up as guys who are standing out early on in workouts. As usual, we remind me you to keep in mind that it’s early…

*Demarvion Overshown – is built and moves like a first rounder and appears to have the work ethic you want in a young man with that kind of ceiling.

*Joseph Ossai was a guy whose name we had heard early on and have already mentioned. But it’s worth mentioning him again because it seems he hasn’t fallen off. Again, you’ve got a big athletic guy but as importantly you have a young leader – a mature, hard-working player who came in bought in.

*Interestingly, another name I’ve heard is that of defensive lineman, Michael Williams. Williams comes in as a guy out of Louisiana who the Horns snatched up late in the process. We all saw on film how well he can run and change direction but he was listed at around 240 lbs last fall. I’m told he is now up to 280 lbs. So, he’s already overcome the only real concern for him. Like Malcolm Roach, Williams might be another steal out of the Boot for the Horns. – (Super K)

– One of Texas’ Top DE targets is Independence CC (MO) Jermaine Johnson. Last night, he cut his list to 5.

Johnson is a December-grad, so a decision could be made as early as this summer. So far, Johnson has taken two official visits to Colorado and Oregon. He has also taken some unofficial visits this summer to Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. He was in Austin for the Heat Wave event.

Right now it sounds like if a decision was made today, Georgia would likely be the pick. He loves the success that Kirby Smart and company have had in Athens and playing in the SEC only adds to his interest. Texas and Oklahoma looked like the clear potential choices behind Georgia, but I was told that Oregon really opened his eyes on his recent official visit.

The longer this one goes on, the better for Texas. – (Will)

10 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He’s not committing anytime soon. I’m not sure why people are preemptively pissing their pants.

You know why...we have threads for "no panic" bumps...pissing pants is what they do around here

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He’s not committing anytime soon. I’m not sure why people are preemptively pissing their pants.

well, feel free to remind me how many LSU targets from Baton Rouge we've landed...

People here always underestimate LSU's pull with BR/NO kids. We do this same song and dance annually.

Edited by satyanash

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

well, feel free to remind me how many LSU targets from Baton Rouge we've landed...

People here always underestimate LSU's pull with BR/NO kids. We do this same song and dance annually.

D'Shawn Jamison has a near identical story - Louisianan, moved to Texas, family are huge LSU fans. Cain just has the IMG wrinkle.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Does this mean we are getting Rian Davis (since he is from Texas)?

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Do you wake up each morning and think to yourself, " I am a huge fucking pussy, in fact, I have been doing a great job of increasing my pussiness each day, more so than the last.  What can I do today to surpass my previously unsurpassable level of pussiness?"?

Not only are you your normal bitch self, you have been blatantly incorrect in several of your posts lately.  As texifornia states, this case is analogous to Jamison from last cycle.  Further, how many kids from BR, that no longer live in BR, do we recruit annually.  Nobody underestimates LSU's pull in the area, it seems you do not comprehend why so many kids decide to attend LSU, even if they may have preferred other options.

Hint: It has to do with living in BR/Louisiana. 

You are tiresome.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

such hostility over the mere mention of a fact!  lol...

not that it makes a shit, but Kelvin Joseph was recruited as a CB.  and Terrance Alexander...Stanford grad transfer...provides depth, too.

but admittedly we're thin right now...but what will be starting swings low and heavy. 

and get through this year and Stingley, Hampton, Miller, et al. will stack the deck deep.  ESP if Greedy sticks around.

4 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Stanford grad transfer...provides depth, too.

yeah in terms of immediate depth. Not taking a single recruit at a position is how you screw up the depth chart in the long-term. 

You always want at least 1 or 2 HS recruits per class to be in the system and hopefully developing. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

LSU didn't take a single CB in the '18 class? 

Damn, coach O is dumber than I thought. Good luck with that. 

Normally I would share about 3% of satanyash's bitchassedness about recruiting kids from BR. But when you're recruiting against a coach as incompetent as Coach O, your chances for success improve drastically!

Texifornia was on the right track but had the wrong name - it was Jalen Green.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/lsu-already-embedded-texas-cb-jalen-greens-top-5

Green, a standout at Heights High School, originally hails from Monroe, La.

His parents are from Louisiana, so the interest from LSU carries a lot of weight with the prized cornerback and with his family.

“I’m from Monroe, so my parents want me to go to LSU,” Green said, smiling. “Right now, I’m just trying to see what school I might be going to.”

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Orgeron said Joseph was going to play corner after signing 0 CBs in the '18 class. I am shocked. Based on everything I've read Joseph moving to corner was more out of necessity than "we were recruiting him there". 

http://www.tigerrag.com/obviously-wanted-sign-one-lsu-moving-kelvin-joseph-cornerback-explore-graduate-transfer-missing-patrick-surtain-jr/

Edited by texasstrong12

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Texifornia was on the right track but had the wrong name - it was Jalen Green.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/lsu-already-embedded-texas-cb-jalen-greens-top-5

Hah, I meant it about Jamison - he's from Louisiana and all that. Had no idea LSU didn't even offer though - Green is the better case.