Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Gotta love Floyd for trying.

If the absolute most ridiculous happens, and Tufono and Rian Davis commit, do you change your defense to get the 2 or 3 of them (and Dele) on the field in the future? That would be 3 elite, bluechip Mikes in back to back classes.

Edited by I Plead Da Fif
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Who is right more frequently, contributors on this board, or shilling mouthbreathers trying to salvage some favor with the UT staff over at 247? I’ll never forget when Howe wrote the article comparing Swoopes to VY and defended Brown not pursuing JT Barrett. Or the many articles defending Shawn Watson and telling us the offense had turned a corner heading into 2015. Or the Chip Brown hit piece. Or EJ Holland telling us all that Marcel Brooks was “this close” to visiting and getting an offer. And on and on. Yeah, they’ve got their finger on the pulse. 

Lulz.

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe because he has a year of high school left?  

So you're saying a high school diploma is mandatory for admission into Oklahoma State? Old T. Boone himself transferred in there from aggy, which suggests it's always been a pretty low bar to jump. 

30 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

Gotta love Floyd for trying.

If the absolute most ridiculous happens, and Tufono and Rian Davis commit, do you change your defense to get the 2 or 3 of them (and Dele) on the field in the future? That would be 3 elite, bluechip Mikes in back to back classes.

I think you sign them and figure it out later. Besides, it's not like that room is particularly full anyways. 

Well, I don't know about you guys, but boy has it been an awesome past week on this thread and board. We've picked up commits, explored the wonderment of Oscar Giles and his fanbase, I've been given tips on how to win friends and influence people, SydneyCarton has been reminded of his lapdog status which is gratifying but has him quietly sulking, and fuck, you name it. 

Anyway, I'm off to Europe to cavort with the landed gentry and HenryJames. My curse to the rest of you recruitnik hillbillies is that I hope not a fucking thing happens while I am gone on the commitment front and this thread continues to twist itself into utter futility until the dead period ends. I return for the UTL event, which should be balls to the wall, and then we enter the season. Should stuff happen in the interim, I'll just consider it a reverse jinx on my part and take credit for it. 

Also, when stuff does go down with the existing players on the team and attrition is announced, it's all good with clearing dead weight on the roster for new guys or deserving walk-ons. We need the numbers for this next class either way. 

IT

WHO'S NEXT?

Within about three minutes, give or take, of landing a commitment, the unsatiated recruitnik will move beyond the distant memory of the current new addition and wonder who is next. Often times we'll have a very good idea. Sometimes we can even hint on a run of announcements with commit stories pre-written.

This is not one of those times for a few reasons: we're in the dead period until July 24th, the staff isn't pushing too hard for players who might announce soon, the coaches are in a trail position for a few prospects, and, we're not sure exactly who all will make it to the late July recruiting event with many invitations still yet to go out.

That event could be telling as last cycle it was when the staff garnered its first commitment for the class ahead in quarterback Roschon Johnson. Indeed, the next commitment for the program could come from the 2020 ranks.

Let's look at some possibilities:

OL Javonne Shepherd: This would be a big one, and based on him coming close to pulling the trigger a couple of times already it wouldn't be a total surprise to see him announce out of the blue. If it happens, celebration should be somewhat tempered as he'd still take visits. This is a long-play no matter what. In this recruitment, you want the last visit and that will almost assuredly happen for Texas.

LB David Gbenda: Texas and A&M are playing cat and mouse. Whoever pushes hard first will likely land the likely Mac prospect. Internally, Texas has to be tempted to make that push. Gbenda and De'Gabriel Floyd would make for an interesting player as both could be interchangeable at Mac or Rover. A bit more on Gbenda below from Justin.

LB Rian Davis: The staff loves him. He'd be a Mac with Floyd at Rover, both of whom bonded at The Opening Finals last week, and that would bring Bama levels of devastation between the hashes. The problem is, Texas is running second to Georgia. Davis will likely make an August decision and UT has used its official visit. He's visited Georgia numerous times and an Athens official visit followed by an announcement wouldn't surprise.

DE Jermaine Johnson: Post-Texas visit the Juco edge rusher tweeted he could see himself playing at Texas. That's well and good but this is another one where Texas is behind Georgia. On Sunday he tweeted he's close to announcing. For a defense that's about to be highlighted by defensive end play and then offer immediate playing time next season, it would be much more beneficial if he waited longer.

WR Elijah Higgins: He released his Top 7 yesterday with the hometown Longhorns obviously on it. It could be a Summer decision for him too. Like with Johnson, the timing here could be poor for the staff. They are selling him on being Lil'Jordan Humphrey and that pitch will resonate much better by the end of September.

WR Makiya Tongue: In late June, he stated his Top 3 are Texas, Georgia, and Arizona State. This would be fantastic for Texas because we don't believe he's a take for UGA and probably won't become one. In this scenario Texas is the overwhelming favorite. Unfortunately, we have to watch for LSU eventually making a push for him. Texas does have an ace up its sleeve with his girlfriend, who is a very good basketball player being recruited by Texas and has visited Austin. Tongue has recently stated he wants to slow things down some. This would be wise as it allows his options to crystallize. Texas has always wanted him but we expect the staff to step up its efforts further. Not only does Rian Davis affect how hard the staff pursues David Gbenda, so to does Tongue. That's how wild "wide receiver" recruiting is this cycle.

DL Taurean Carter: Carter announced his Top 5 last week but it's really a Texas versus TCU battle. He'd like to announce on October 24th but if the staff pushed a bit maybe he expedites that decision.

A factor that can be hard to account for in recruiting is if or when the staff will ramp its efforts up with a certain recruit. We just saw what happened when the staff hit the gas on wide receiver Demariyon Houston. Should the coaches decide to push for a 2020, names to watch are Duncanville's duo of athlete J'Quinden Jackson and safety Chris Thompson, and offensive lineman Jaylen Garth. There's maybe even an outside chance with corner Jaylon Jones.

Who's next is impossible to know but fun to ponder.

WIDE RECEIVER RECRUITING

It's not the most important position but it might be the most intriguing this cycle because it also affects the defense.

Texas has three commitments in the form of slot Jordan Whittington, slot Jake Smith, and Z Demariyon Houston. The Houston push was a bit of a surprise simply because of the abundance of viable candidates at the position. Those are:

WR Dylan Wright: He can play X or Z and has the most upside of anybody on the board. He could go to Texas, A&M, or to an out-of-state power. He's wide open and won't announce until very late. He's important to keep in mind because he's a BPA who could alter class numbers late in the game.

WR Elijah Higgins: My best Big 12 coaching contact tells me Higgins is one of the four best wide receivers in the class with the three W's - Wilson, Wright, and Wease. He would likely be an X at Texas but could also feature in the slot.

WR Marcus Washington: The staff will likely get its chance with the stud from St. Louis later this month and really needs to hit it out of the park. He would be a Z or X.

WR Makiya Tongue: He has great mobility and good hands and could play X or slot.

Each of these guys is a take and Texas has room for two more, but the class could go to six because of the likelihood Tongue ends up at linebacker. There's also the chance, albeit a smaller one, that Whittington ends up at safety.

Texas is losing only two wide receivers to graduation but another receiver may leave early for the draft.

DEMARIYON HOUSTON

As I said, the Houston push was a bit of a surprise but I'm coming around to my opinion being it's a pleasant surprise after contacting someone very familiar with him.

When I said Houston ran a 10.71 100 meter and a 21.42 200 meter I was missing a key element. Those numbers are for his sophomore year!

Source: "He clocked a 4.31 digital 40 this Spring. But he's football fast too and Texas really got a steal."

Source: "He ran a 10.65 last year as a sophomore. He only ran one track meet this year. He normally gets faster during regionals and state. He didn't run much this year to rest his body and focus on his recruitment and taking unofficials."

[I think that's actually the 10.71 he's referencing. Imagine how boring 2A Oklahoma track meets are for this guy]

Source: "He is a kid that as a freshman and sophomore was a deep threat and could just run past anybody. He moved to slot his sophomore and junior season and he had to learn how to be more physical and block bigger guys and he actually became pretty good at it. He's really perfecting his craft as a returner...I told him in order to have an impact at the next level he must be a returner, and let's just say nobody kicks to him."

Source: "He works hard not just during practice but definitely on his own, getting extra work. That jugs machine is his friend. His hands are solid. Ball skills are very good. He's thrown a lot of deep balls and tracks them well."

All right, I'm sold.

TOP PROSPECTS NARROWING THE FIELD

Some of UT's top targets for 2019 and 2020 are getting close to dropping their top schools list. It's time honored tradition that social media has turned into a circus on the level of Barnum and Bailey. Texas will make most of these list, which is good. But sometimes kids add Texas because of the prestige and popularity of the Longhorns logo.

'19 Elijah Higgins, WR - Austin Bowie: When Stanford was no longer an option, Texas started looking real good. Visits to Ohio State and Florida were positive, Higgins told me. The fact UT made his Top 7 wasn't a surprise. He took an UOV last month and really loved it. Personally, I think Higgins wants to pick the local Longhorns, but some in his circle might not. If he chose today, it would be Florida. But the longer he waits, the better Texas looks. 

'19 Mani Tufono, LB - Halawa, Hawaii: After hitting Austin during his "seeing the states trip" that included Alabama and LSU, he left with incredibly kind and positive notes on his visit to the 512. The likely top ILB in the nation has every school knocking on his door. Despite his pro-UT quotes post-visit, I'd be mildly surprised if Texas makes his Top 5, which will be the schools that get his five official visits. Hope I'm wrong. 

'19 David Gbenda, LB - Katy Cinco Ranch: His top schools list will be posted soon. I believe it's really down to three - Texas, TCU, and A&M. I also believe the Horns or Aggies could have him today if they pushed. The longer this draws out, the more I feel like TCU will sneak him into its class. With the new demand on linebackers that can fill gaps and cover in space, you don't want another DaShaun White situation (offering too late). The next two months will tell us a lot about where Gbenda likely lands. 

'19 Jermaine Johnson, LB/DE - Independence CC (KS): He recently mentioned he's close to a commitment. Like Eric said, we've both been told Georgia leads here, but that doesn't mean Texas won't stop recruiting the prospect, who we will see a lot of in Last Chance U's upcoming third season. Maybe Georgia fills up and Rian Davis sees burnt orange in his future. The interaction between Davis and De'Gabriel Floyd was pretty big last week. 

'20 Dwight McGlothern, DB - Trinity Catholic (Cedar Hill) via New Caney: The top cover corner in-state for 2020 dropped his Top 13 yesterday with Texas in the mix. It's still too early right now, but Alabama probably leads here, with A&M and Texas running second. His personality will milk every bit of attention out of his recruitment as possible. Problem is, he's probably worth it. He says he might see Austin after the dead period too, so we'll see how this progresses.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, I don't know about you guys, but boy has it been an awesome past week on this thread and board. We've picked up commits, explored the wonderment of Oscar Giles and his fanbase, I've been given tips on how to win friends and influence people, SydneyCarton has been reminded of his lapdog status which is gratifying but has him quietly sulking, and fuck, you name it. 

Anyway, I'm off to Europe to cavort with the landed gentry and HenryJames. My curse to the rest of you recruitnik hillbillies is that I hope not a fucking thing happens while I am gone on the commitment front and this thread continues to twist itself into utter futility until the dead period ends. I return for the UTL event, which should be balls to the wall, and then we enter the season. Should stuff happen in the interim, I'll just consider it a reverse jinx on my part and take credit for it. 

Also, when stuff does go down with the existing players on the team and attrition is announced, it's all good with clearing dead weight on the roster for new guys or deserving walk-ons. We need the numbers for this next class either way. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Send us a few shots from Centre Court at Wimbledon on Sunday. Wish I could be there watching Rafa with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

The most important things that need to occur while you’re gone are the following:

1. We need to increase our recruiting presence at Westlake and Lake Travis.  This means finding a way to counteract Stanford, since its academics appeal to those families.

2. Mehringer should be given exclusive authority over Houston and DFW recruiting based on his track record of landing nationally elite WR prospects.  We need to let the cream of the coaching staff rise to the top.

3. Oscar Giles, since he does more with 3 Stars than most coaches do with 5 Stars, should be elevated to Co-DC and groomed to be Orlando’s replacement when he moves on.

4. We need to target more Texas high school coach’s sons.  They’re hard workers and it helps with recruiting.  You never know when you will need the Giddings or Leander coach on your side to land the next blue chip from that school.

5. This is more of a personal sentiment, but I hope we can all show more appreciation to the paysite guys who work tirelessly at 7 on 7 tournaments to provide us information.  They provide an honest, valuable service and the ingratitude to them is troubling.

What do you mean “those families”? 

#UpperMiddleClassWhiteLivesMatter

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

The most important things that need to occur while you’re gone are the following:

1. We need to increase our recruiting presence at Westlake and Lake Travis.  This means finding a way to counteract Stanford, since its academics appeal to those families.

2. Mehringer should be given exclusive authority over Houston and DFW recruiting based on his track record of landing nationally elite WR prospects.  We need to let the cream of the coaching staff rise to the top.

3. Oscar Giles, since he does more with 3 Stars than most coaches do with 5 Stars, should be elevated to Co-DC and groomed to be Orlando’s replacement when he moves on.

4. We need to target more Texas high school coach’s sons.  They’re hard workers and it helps with recruiting.  You never know when you will need the Giddings or Leander coach on your side to land the next blue chip from that school.

5. This is more of a personal sentiment, but I hope we can all show more appreciation to the paysite guys who work tirelessly at 7 on 7 tournaments to provide us information.  They provide an honest, valuable service and the ingratitude to them is troubling.

I feel like we need to offer more guys who will commit on the spot. If being a Longhorn isn't your first priority, do we really want or need you?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You better not be in Geneva this month. Switzerland will literally fall into a sink hole under the weight of our combined egos. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1

Just thought it was weird Okie St moderator insinuated that him picking us was good because he isn't currently qualified.  How many rising seniors are currently qualified?  Don't the majority (non early enrolles) have another year of classes and the ability to take ACTs during their senior year to become qualified?

33 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Just thought it was weird Okie St moderator insinuated that him picking us was good because he isn't currently qualified.  How many rising seniors are currently qualified?  Don't the majority (non early enrolles) have another year of classes and the ability to take ACTs during their senior year to become qualified?

no comprende.  

• Like 1

From the looks of things, ending up with Gbenda and/or Carter means that something went wrong with the top of our board. So my guess is that we end up with both Gbenda and Carter. LB and DL seem to be the areas we have had the most trouble recruiting on the defensive side of the ball since Herman got here, even though we ended up OK on the DL last cycle. We have spoken ad nauseam about Giles and his prowess on the trail, but what about Orlando?

He is a witch of a DC, but we have signed 3 LB's in Herman's first 1 & 1/2 classes, one of which may switch positions in Byron Hobbs based on his physical development. The commit from Adeoye saved our LB class from being a disaster last year and we will need depth at all three spots after this year.  It seems that relying on national recruiting for all of our LB targets this year is a big risk and Gbenda might be a much needed safety take. Don't get me wrong, I am pumped about DeGabriel Floyd, but we were in a similar line of thinking last year on Dashaun White and it came back to bite us.  

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

From the looks of things, ending up with Gbenda and/or Carter means that something went wrong with the top of our board. So my guess is that we end up with both Gbenda and Carter. LB and DL seem to be the areas we have had the most trouble recruiting on the defensive side of the ball since Herman got here, even though we ended up OK on the DL last cycle. We have spoken ad nauseam about Giles and his prowess on the trail, but what about Orlando? 

He is a witch of a DC, but we have signed 3 LB's in Herman's first 1 & 1/2 classes, one of which may switch positions in Byron Hobbs based on his physical development. The commit from Adeoye saved our LB class from being a disaster last year and we will need depth at all three spots after this year.  It seems that relying on national recruiting for all of our LB targets this year is a big risk and Gbenda might be a much needed safety take. Don't get me wrong, I am pumped about DeGabriel Floyd, but we were in a similar line of thinking last year on Dashaun White and it came back to bite us.  

Orlando has never had a great rep as a recruiter. Great football mind, and he seems to have 1-2 national recruits a year that really connect with him on that level, but he's not a rainmaker by any stretch.

4 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Gary Johnson was a Herman/Orlando recruit

That was one of the 3. Gary Johnson, Dele Adeoye, and Byron Hobbs. 

Johnson is a stud, Dele looks like he can be a stud at some point, Hobbs I am sure is going to be good if he sticks at LB but we just need numbers. 

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

So basically all this boils down to is missing on DeShaun White? 

Yeah going out of state is risky but it's not like we're doing it by choice. There haven't been any good in state LBs expect White and Brooks, who we're staying away from. 

I don't think it's time to start questioning Orlando. It's not like he's missing on a bunch of in state studs like Wilson or Leal. He's just having some trouble getting multiple top national LBs to come play for us in each class (as of now). I think that's understandable given our record the last couple years. Hopefully it'll improve as we start winning. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

The Stampede: UT making recruiting presence felt in California

It’s time for The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly recruiting insider notes package that takes a behind-the-scenes look at what the Texas Longhorns are doing on the recruiting trail. This week's edition looks at the recruiting efforts of the staff in California with the Longhorns having snagged two commitments already in the 2019 class with more 2019 targets and 2020 recruits squarely on the radar.

Texas is making a big impact in the talent-rich state of California this recruiting cycle. The Longhorns have reeled in commitments from national Top 200 recruits De'Gabriel Floyd and Chris Adimora and are squarely in the mix for guys like five-star athlete Bru McCoy. Tom Herman has been able to sell kids on his vision and resurrecting a proud powerhouse program. The Longhorns gave ranked USC everything it could handle in Los Angeles last season, and Texas, according to California high school coaches, is starting to open some eyes out West.

“I think Texas is doing a great job,” said Westlake Villiage (Calif.) Westlake head coach Tim Kirksey. “It’s good to see their footprint growing out here. I think there is that old school mentality of you eat what you kill. Kids crave that flavor of football. When you think of Texas, you think of physical football and working your tail off. There are guys that embrace the grind and want to challenge themselves. We are fortunate enough to have a guy talented enough to play at The University of Texas in De’Gabriel Floyd, so we’re excited about that. Texas is a great place. We’re glad that’s the school he fell in love with.”

Lakewood (Calif.) Mayfair head coach Derek Bedell has been equally as impressed with UT’s recruiting efforts in California. “They’ve made California a priority,” Bedell said. “That’s what it seems like to us as coaches. They’re coming out here to find the best talent they can. They’re hitting Hawaii and a couple of other states. California kids are probably on rosters in all 50 states. Kids here are looking to leave. Texas offers a great opportunity.” Bedell added that the ever-changing landscape of recruiting in the state of Texas has also helped jump-start the California-to-UT movement. “Kids in Texas used to stay in Texas,” Bedell said. “Some kids are starting to leave, so they got smart. People have been raiding California for years. Kids on the West Coast are willing to leave. They’ve done a really good job of finding guys that fit their roster and don’t have a ton of serious ground root recruiting. Texas is smart.”

But at the end of the day, UT’s recruiting success all goes back to Herman. A graduate of Cal Lutheran, Herman has ties to several high school coaches in California. In fact, Cal Lutheran has quietly produced several big names in the coaching industry, including Herman, Dave Aranda and Rod Marinelli as well as several high school coaches. Herman actually played with Newbury Park (Calif.) — the school that produced 2018 quarterback signee Cameron Rising — offensive coordinator Keith Smith at Cal Lutheran. He also lined up at wide receiver with Kirksey.

“I got to know him in high school,” Kirksey said. “He was in chemistry class and was a whole lot smarter than I was. We were both receivers at CLU. To see him go through the ranks and have success is special. There was no doubt he was going to take off once he became dedicated to coaching. Tom is a class act. He’s been a student of the game for a long time. He’s a family kind of guy. There is no doubt that Texas was the right fit for him as far as personality and how hard he works. He’s earned it every step of the way. He’s going to be committed to that program and recruit as hard as possible.”

One of the most popular Texas commits this cycle has been Westlake Villiage (Calif.) Westlake outside linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd. The four-star prospect has been a vocal leader for the Longhorns on the recruiting trail since committing back in March and is one of the highest rated players on UT’s commit list. So what makes him so special? “There is nothing he can’t do,” said Westlake head coach Tim Kirksey said. “He can return punts and kicks. But we’re going to line him up at linebacker. His range is unbelievable. He has great hands. There is nothing that comes in his radius that he can’t get his paws on. He closes so quick. He’s a downhill, nasty football player. He’s going to be fun to watch.”

Texas had one of the best defenses in the country last season under new defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, whose scheme has been applauded by pundits. Orlando and Texas recruited Floyd as a Rover thanks to his athleticism and versatility. Kirksey believes that’s the perfect fit for Floyd as he’ll be able to excel under Orlando’s watch. “I think they do a good job using their players and bringing pressure from a lot of different areas,” Kirksey said. “They do a good job of keeping to the scheme that fits their personality while being creative at the same time. Coach Orlando is going to use Gabe’s speed and physicality. I think it’s going to be a good fit all together.”

Kirksey added that Floyd also brings several admirable qualities away from the football field. “People see him as the player and the athlete he is,” Kirksey said. “But he’s so much more than that from a young man standpoint. He’s a committed team guy. He works really hard to get everyone better. I couldn’t be happier from a leadership standpoint. He’s a quiet kid, but he’s one of those guys that leads by example in everything he does. He works hard in the classroom and challenges himself from an academic standpoint. He works hard in the weight room. We love having him.”

Floyd plans to graduate in December and enroll early at Texas. At 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, Floyd is ranked as the No. 4 outside linebacker and No. 55 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Texas made another big statement in California this month when it reeled in a commitment from four-star safety Chris Adimora. According to Lakewood (Calif.) Mayfair head coach Derek Bedell, it’s not hard to see why Texas went all in for his star. “When you take over a program, Chris is the kid every coach wishes would walk into the room,” Bedell said. “He came here as a basketball player and will leave here as a major DI football player. When we saw him the first time, we thought ‘here is the guy.’ It turned out to be true.”

While Adimora was originally looking to make a career on the hardwood, his play on the football field is actually what drew the attention of college coaches. Adimora showed off his fierce physicality and natural cover skills as a junior as he racked up more than 70 tackles and seven interceptions. Pretty soon, his phone wouldn’t stop ringing. And the scary thing is he’s only getting better. “He’s really worked on his strength this offseason,” Bedell said. “You have to love the weight room. It’s about self-competition. He loves the weight room. The other thing is he’s a dynamic athlete. His change of direction and ball skills are only getting better, and it’s fun to watch.”

Texas often plays five or six defensive backs on the field at the same time. So where does Bedell see Adimora fitting in? “I see him as a free safety,” Bedell said. “His dynamic ball skills give him the ability to play back there as a true roaming free safety, whether that’s in a Cover 2 or Cover 3 scheme. Some schools saw him as a downhill guy. But that’s not where he wants to be. He wants to be a safety. He’s comfortable being the quarterback of the defense.”

Adimora picked Texas over offers from Alabama, Boise State, Colorado, Michigan, Oregon, UCLA, USC and others. At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Adimora is ranked as the No. 14 safety and No. 200 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That was one of the 3. Gary Johnson, Dele Adeoye, and Byron Hobbs. 

Johnson is a stud, Dele looks like he can be a stud at some point, Hobbs I am sure is going to be good if he sticks at LB but we just need numbers. 

Don’t forget they had Bonito pretty much locked up before fuck chip brown.

• Like 1

Basically Bodacious Bevo is correct. And White was behind Bonito on the list. When FCB fucked UT, Bonito bolted and White came into the picture. At that point it was too little too late.

Anyway, the bigger point is that UT is only going after elite LBs. The state of Texas has been weak at linebacker. Brooks was one. Gbenda was two. Brooks lost it - turned in his ball. Gbenda may be given his dream shot, but Gbenda isn't elite.

And so we have been forced to go out of state for elite guys.We got one guy, Floyd. We are going after McCoy, Davis, Tongue,  Tufono, Henry, Mangham, and Cooper. We need at least 3 and the odds of getting 2 out of that group isn't great. However, I wouldn't say that it is time to give up and bring in Gbenda. It may be the eventual outcome but since his size/speed combination isn't ideal, I agree with Orlando who is waiting on the other guys. If they don't pan out then it is time to circle back and reconsider Gbenda or Lytle or some other "late rising senior".

And I think Hobbs and Overshown have the potential to be very good lbs for us after they put on weight and learn the position.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

If the season plays out like many hope this is an early pick that will change. Cain has mentioned play on the field and will take all his visits. No fretting here.

Cain has also mentioned offensive line play as a big factor. We're going to have to negate a lot of negative recruiting by winning with offense.