Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Some retrospectives on the 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes from Nahlin. 2015:

Ryan Newsome (still deciding if he's a Bruin): Talked to his dad at MJ's draft get together. Great guy, great family. They know they were in a tough spot and didn't truly feel wanted at UCLA or Texas. Strong decided there was room and it didn't work out. I don't really count it as a miss because the way it came together Newsome didn't keep them from taking a better player.

PJ Locke (senior starter): Disappointed last year at nickel but should have a good senior year. If not, then he won't start the whole season. Locke was a fine pick-up late after Tim Irvin bailed for Auburn. Interestingly, Irvin knew he screwed up and begged Texas to let him transfer. Strong said no thanks.

Chris Warren (left early for the NFL???): This was a huge evaluation miss by the staff, and kind of by me, but mainly because I trusted the staff. They viewed him as a "mortgage payer" meaning land guys like him and you can feel confident in your job security. Yeah. I was very vocal about the staff missing on Ronald "Roland" Jones and screwing that recruitment up. Saw him on draft night too. He would have been a Horn.

Kai Locksley (transfer): Texas put itself in a rock and hard place. It didn't have any quarterbacks so it took two quarterbacks that still left them with no quarterbacks. Locksley was a pain in the ass and so was his father.

Kris Boyd (senior starter): I wrote in real time that Kris wasn't the f*** up it seemed like he was an that football important to him. He's always been an NFL player in his mind and sometimes gets a little big for his britches. But he's a tough SOB and fantastic athlete with 1st RD potential. 

Holton Hill (left early for the NFL): He and Boyd played out almost how I thought. I said Hill would be better early because he was much more refined and had about 10,000 practice reps but that Boyd's ceiling was higher. Hill lost his way once he got to campus which was unforeseen. He's a good dude but didn't prioritize football like he should have. He might make it big yet. He's a 1st RD talent.

Gilbert Johnson (never made it to ATX): A throw-in for the Florida 5 turned 1.
Anthony Wheeler (senior starter): Strong made up ground and overtook OU late and it looked like a huge win. Wheeler's COD was a question but other than that he had the look of a high upside Mike. I figured he would take to great coaching which made me wrong twice. His story is not yet fully written and he flashed some of his best ball in the spring game. 

Devonaire Clarington (never made it to ATX): Never heard of him.

DaVante Davis (senior starter): Quietest guy on the team. I figured he'd be a safety because Hill and Boyd would lockdown CB but that didn't go according to plan. Also, he gets lost in coverage at times which make safety a non-starter because there's more to process. Methinks he'll have a solid year but if not Anthony Cook looms.

Malik Jefferson (left early for the NFL): He'll tell you he didn't have the career he thought he would but he doesn't regret choosing Texas over every other school in the nation one bit. Conditions in Cincy are favorable for him to start. I'm not sure that's ideal but he needs to find a way to make it work and hit the second contract payday. 

Cecil Cherry (Horn for a day): LOL. This recruitment ran me ragged. Fans fell in love with his swagger and physicality, I fretted over his stiffness. He was a lamb who thought he was a lion. Bad mental eval.

Brandon Hodges (JC Transfer): Bad mental eval but the staff desperately needed OL help. 

Quincy Vasser (JC Transfer): Solid program guy upon arrival who played on both sides of the ball.

Tristan Nickelson (JC Transfer): Great mental eval, poor physical eval. As with Hodges, Texas had to reach. Joe Wickline thought he could turn anybody into a player and didn't recruit with much effort.

Breckyn Hager (senior starter): The first time he walked by me he was spindly as hell but I couldn't forget his shoulder width. I knew he would add significant weight. I also figured him for an edge player. He got the crazies from his dad but not the instincts. If you wanted him to take a grey shirt to make room for someone else, drop and give the board 20.

Connor Williams (left early for the NFL): I liked him more than the networks but I didn't like him as much as I should have. Doh. I learned a lot from this one. If a guy is offered as a center, tight end, and tackle, he's freaking baller.

Du'Vanta Lampkin (no hablé español - OU): Malo mental eval.

Garrett Thomas (quit football): I liked him when I saw his sophomore tape. I still recall his first offer was Michigan for some reason. I was happy they landed him. I'm not sure why it didn't work out.

Kirk Johnson (on team - healthy???): He looked like Marshall Faulk coming out of the back field at the first Under the Lights camp. I remember talking with Tommie Robinson about it and both of us shaking our heads. Injuries have robbed him. Asking about his health is pointless. 

Tristian Houston (redshirt junior): My guy at Houston at the time couldn't believe Texas took him, citing, "we wouldn't take him here." Harsh, but an odd eval especially after ignoring Ronald Jones. I will say his senior year was better than his junior year.

DeShon Elliott (left early for Charlie's couch) Re: the couch, Deshon and Strong's daughter broke up last year and she transferred to Florida I believe. Then Elliott went on a tear with....wait, what? Oh yeah, Elliott was always a safety with good size and physicality. I had one HS coach who played in the League that Elliott would be an early round pick. Almost, and he might have snuck into the the 3rd round with one more year.

Charles Omenihu (senior starter): He first popped up on the scene and was ranked like 115th in the state. Omenihu had some traits you couldn't teach but was definitely a long-curve guy. I got to know him well and knew he'd maximize. I wrote his best football would be played in the NFL and I believe that now more than ever. 

Ronnie Major (medically retired): Wickline loved him and thought he had a future 1st rounder on his hands. I don't think Major loved football like he does videography.

Patrick Vahe ( senior starter): Loved him in high school and wrote that if he was 6-5 he'd be a five-star OT. He hasn't had the career I expected but it's hard to not have sympathy for him given all the changes he's gone through.

DeAndre McNeal (finessin' elsewhere): MY DAWG! I asked him who does better with women, he or Lane. He laughed. He likes it in Boca Raton. He was a bit of a tough eval. I felt like his upside was at LB but anyone whose nickname is finessin isn't meant for that side of the ball. I bet he has a solid season.

John Burt (senior): I wasn't super high on his junior year but then his senior tape was awesome and he ran great track times. The only thing holding him back is hands. He's a great dude and program guy.

Cameron Townsend (redshirt junior): The best commitment party I've been to and his pops was one of the best dad's to go have a beer with. Cam is a bit of a tweener who just isn't explosive enough to fit into a hybrid type position.

Matthew Merrick (transfer): Gray shirt who became a red shirt. Texas missed on Kyler Murray and had room. He was a questionable take but did have some ability.

2016:

You remember that class well. With the Baylor scandal we even got some bonus recruiting with a wild June/July post-NSD. With the Baylor refugees the class ended up ranked #7 and had a .9007 class average. Anything over .90 for a class and you're doing quite well.

WR Devin Duvernay, .9803: Hasn't lived up the billing but has shown promise. Him not being as fluid as I thought necessitated a move from slot to Z. He's nearly transferred a time or two but stuck things out. The staff didn't want to lose him and made sure he felt wanted in the Spring. He responded quite well. A little success from him goes a long way on the field as he's a big play threat. He should see plenty of single coverage this season and has the speed to get deep. The staff has tinkered with moving him around, even lining him up in the back field.

DB Brandon Jones, .9794: Fans who have been patient with Jones will likely be rewarded this season. As Ian and myself have mentioned countless times, playing safety in the Big 12 is quite demanding mentally and physically. Look for Jones to break out and be one of the best tacklers on the team. The thing I missed on him was his ball skills. They're pretty poor and I thought they'd be at least average.

OL Patrick Hudson, .9744: Always a long-curve guy, Hudson should be ready to hit the field this season. His injury last year robbed him of some needed development but we hear he's healthy and ready to go. In his limited Spring we heard his play-strength was absurd and he basically choke slammed all the baddest dudes that came at him like Roach and McCulloch. His technique is still somewhat raw but he has athleticism and that strength that somewhat compensates. He'll be one of the names we ask about the most this August.

LB Jeffrey McCulloch, .9682: Like Malik in the class before him, McCulloch was an edge player destined to transition inside. He showed real promise and physicality in his limited freshman snaps but had a quiet sophomore year due to two factors. 1) The new staff moved him to B-backer and that position fell by the wayside due to Naashon's invisible man routine. 2) He was banged up quite a bit. WilliamsDavid will tell you he needs to lean up but McCulloch is just naturally big. He's in good shape and one of the strongest players on the team. He's also one of the most physical. Finding his fit will be a chore for August. He's worked at all four linebacker spots. Talent is not in question.

LB Erick Fowler, .9649: Poor mental eval which everyone knew in advance. Being a hometown kid of immense talent, Strong was justified in rolling the dice. An edge player destined for ILB, Fowler had real promise, but he was lazy and a terrible cultural fit. He's now in Hunstville but at least he's going to school.

OT Jean Delance, .9457: Wonderfully talented for the position and an intelligent kid, he was a bit entitled and felt he was the rightful heir to Connor Williams' position when he was gone. When the staff put Cosmi in front of him for a few practices he was over it. He felt he was in the dog house and never coming out of it. I actually got a call from a family member about the situation. I told said person, "you know how many players transferred from their original school and were never heard from again?" I also mentioned the grass isn't always greener and in big-time college football you have to compete. If you don't like the coach, who cares, that's life. As you can tell, that talk didn't help.

DT Jordan Elliott, .9453: It was either Elliott or Hudson for highest upside in the class. Elliott was a mental eval nightmare who had entitlement issues as well. It didn't help that *allegedly* (but, not really allegedly) Brick Haley never stopped recruiting him. Oh well. He'll never maximize but he still might get paid one day.

QB Shane Buechele, .9250: He's pretty much what I thought he would be. Capable of starting as a true freshman and a solid, cerebral passer. What I did miss was his poor pocket presence. Shane is a starter for a lot of schools and an excellent back-up option. With Sam Ehlinger's injury history we're nearly guaranteed to see Shane in the spotlight again.

DL Chris Daniels, .9242: Since Strong wasn't able to stick around and develop these guys I don't want to belabor the poor mental evaluations too much -- perhaps he could have gotten through to them. But, it is curious to have the time to collect so much data with his late approach and still pursue and land so many guys of questionable football character. I'm not sure where he ended up transferring to but I know he wasn't receiving too much interest. Too bad, talented guy.

WR Collin Johnson, .9225: In my experience giant guys with good ball skills always translate, it's just a matter of to what degree. His rating is made even more curious because his ball skills are elite and not just for college. Johnson did and does require a bit more development than we thought. He also needs to start using his size for more than just going up and getting the ball by out-physicaling defensive backs off the LOS. All right, enough nit-picking. He has tremendous upside and even more ceiling to explore at X receiver. A coherent offense with a real run game and other skill weapons to relieve pressure will illuminate Johnson's talent even more.

DL Andrew Fitzgerald, .9178: I was high on Fitzgerald ever since his sophomore year and I was quite excited when he committed. His developmental curve has been longer than I anticipated. I did hear he was coming along last Spring and August before he was injured. He nearly transferred at one point but appears locked in. Lack of strength at the point of attack was an issue he was having but he's improved in that regard and I imagine he'll be a rotational player at some point. It's also possible that a four-man front will help him out a bit because he doesn't have to be quite as powerful.

OL JP Urquidez, .9116: I believe he always wanted to go to Texas but the staff recruited him very hot and cold. When the chance presented itself to get out of his Baylor LOI he jumped on it. Definitely a long-curve guy, he's running 2nd team at RT, at least on the dry erase board. I always figured he'd be a guy to check in on as a junior and that's probably still the case.

RB Kyle Porter, .9073: Yesterday I mentioned how big a miss Ronald Jones was. In the '16 class the staff should have moved on Darius Anderson. Porter does a lot of the small things right, and he's a great program guy, but he's anything but a dynamic runner. He'll be depth.

OL Denzel Okafor, .9045: Being thrust into action early did him no favors. Compounding the issue, he was put at tackle rather than guard. If you're going to break in a player, you'd rather reverse that and put them at guard first. As a player he tends to lose his technique some which can be attributed to experience. Currently he's in competition to start or at least be one of Hand's 7-8 trusted players. In a well functioning program he's a guard.

DB Eric Cuffee, .9038: It was a terrible class for corners and the staff should have looked out of state much more aggressively. Cuffee was a bit of a CB/S tweener and is currently down the depth chart. The most interesting thing here is, human idiot Jason Higdon tried to throw me under the bus with the staff for "ruining" Cuffee's announcement date when Cuffee told me himself.

DL D'Andre Christmas, .8920: Speaking of Higdon, Christmas was the best guy in the class to him. lol my friend! The man who inspired the single greatest thread I've seen on this site is depth.

DL Marcell Southall, .8911: Bad mental eval. He played with no fire. Questionable take in real time. I believe he transferred to Tyler to earn his #bEastTexas stripes before signing with Lane Kiffin at #theFAU

WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, .8822: From an ability standpoint one of my biggest misses. He earned a Mack Brown offer after torching Jermaine Roberts (2014 class signee) at a camp. Then Strong arrived and pulled the offer before re-issuing it. We had access to his first practice and I immediately knew I was wrong on him. He was getting separation with ease. He red-shirted unfortunately. After having some success this past year he got full of himself and started acting like a diva. He got into it with the staff one final time over the winter break and he was basically done there and then, though things played out a little longer.

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey, .8808: An easy guy to like as a football player and a nightmare to project. Had I known he was going to stay in the 220's then WR would have been the easy call. A unicorn with his movement skills at 6-5. Of course he was a basketball player. He'll probably be the best player on the offense this year and if that's the case I expect this to be his final season.

DB Chris Brown, .8767: Chris can play, but that 2018 DB haul was good for everyone but him. He's going to have trouble playing ahead of Foster or Sterns but with Dime personnel he may still find his way to the field. Brown should provide excellent depth.

LB DeMarco Boyd, .8670: Strong anchored himself to DeMarco as a way to win over Kris and it worked....eventually. DeMarco was a great HS player but was a tough projection to play at this level. He's currently Mac depth.

LB/DE Malcolm Roach, 8619: Jesus. I knew the networks kicked this rating but I didn't remember it was this bad. Just like tall receivers with ball skills translate, so do violent, bouncy mf'ers with growth potential. What a horrendous rating. Strong did well to win over Roach's dad and the recruitment almost came out of nowhere.

DL Gerald Wilbon, .8575: Wasn't a fan of him as a junior and thought he would be a guard but his senior film revealed better movement skills and quickness. He always played with strength at the POA. He'll play a ton this year at the nose/1-tech and should be solid in goal line/short yardage situations.

WR Davion Curtis, .8524: Yesterday I discussed Quincy Vasser. What do he and Curtis have in common? Both were flipped from Georgia. My oh my how quickly things change. Curtis is a burner who has patiently waited his turn. We continually hear positives on him but he's yet to really see the field. That should change this season.

OL Tope Imade, .8519: I was a fan of his as a guard take with great size and athleticism. He also had a good mental eval. Wickline had tough sledding recruiting-wise and jumped on Imade early. I think this current staff will benefit from that at some point. He's been athletic enough to move to defense but he's now back on offense.

DB Donovan Duvernay, .8478: Came over with the rest of the Baylor signees, including his brother. He's a decent player but depth long-term.

TE Peyton Aucoin, .8453: Opposite of Wilbon, I thought he showed some promise his junior year but didn't see a whole lot his senior season. He left the program soon after Herman arrived.

C Zach Shackelford, .8408: He's been a mixed bag. He played well for being a freshman at such a mentally demanding position but his snapping issues have killed many a drive for an offense that can't afford negative plays. He appears locked in to start, though the staff would like to identify some competition. It doesn't seem to have that luxury just yet. He was a very smart, late steal from Bill Snyder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

2016:

Hide contents

You remember that class well. With the Baylor scandal we even got some bonus recruiting with a wild June/July post-NSD. With the Baylor refugees the class ended up ranked #7 and had a .9007 class average. Anything over .90 for a class and you're doing quite well.

WR Devin Duvernay, .9803: Hasn't lived up the billing but has shown promise. Him not being as fluid as I thought necessitated a move from slot to Z. He's nearly transferred a time or two but stuck things out. The staff didn't want to lose him and made sure he felt wanted in the Spring. He responded quite well. A little success from him goes a long way on the field as he's a big play threat. He should see plenty of single coverage this season and has the speed to get deep. The staff has tinkered with moving him around, even lining him up in the back field.

DB Brandon Jones, .9794: Fans who have been patient with Jones will likely be rewarded this season. As Ian and myself have mentioned countless times, playing safety in the Big 12 is quite demanding mentally and physically. Look for Jones to break out and be one of the best tacklers on the team. The thing I missed on him was his ball skills. They're pretty poor and I thought they'd be at least average.

OL Patrick Hudson, .9744: Always a long-curve guy, Hudson should be ready to hit the field this season. His injury last year robbed him of some needed development but we hear he's healthy and ready to go. In his limited Spring we heard his play-strength was absurd and he basically choke slammed all the baddest dudes that came at him like Roach and McCulloch. His technique is still somewhat raw but he has athleticism and that strength that somewhat compensates. He'll be one of the names we ask about the most this August.

LB Jeffrey McCulloch, .9682: Like Malik in the class before him, McCulloch was an edge player destined to transition inside. He showed real promise and physicality in his limited freshman snaps but had a quiet sophomore year due to two factors. 1) The new staff moved him to B-backer and that position fell by the wayside due to Naashon's invisible man routine. 2) He was banged up quite a bit. WilliamsDavid will tell you he needs to lean up but McCulloch is just naturally big. He's in good shape and one of the strongest players on the team. He's also one of the most physical. Finding his fit will be a chore for August. He's worked at all four linebacker spots. Talent is not in question.

LB Erick Fowler, .9649: Poor mental eval which everyone knew in advance. Being a hometown kid of immense talent, Strong was justified in rolling the dice. An edge player destined for ILB, Fowler had real promise, but he was lazy and a terrible cultural fit. He's now in Hunstville but at least he's going to school.

OT Jean Delance, .9457: Wonderfully talented for the position and an intelligent kid, he was a bit entitled and felt he was the rightful heir to Connor Williams' position when he was gone. When the staff put Cosmi in front of him for a few practices he was over it. He felt he was in the dog house and never coming out of it. I actually got a call from a family member about the situation. I told said person, "you know how many players transferred from their original school and were never heard from again?" I also mentioned the grass isn't always greener and in big-time college football you have to compete. If you don't like the coach, who cares, that's life. As you can tell, that talk didn't help.

DT Jordan Elliott, .9453: It was either Elliott or Hudson for highest upside in the class. Elliott was a mental eval nightmare who had entitlement issues as well. It didn't help that *allegedly* (but, not really allegedly) Brick Haley never stopped recruiting him. Oh well. He'll never maximize but he still might get paid one day.

QB Shane Buechele, .9250: He's pretty much what I thought he would be. Capable of starting as a true freshman and a solid, cerebral passer. What I did miss was his poor pocket presence. Shane is a starter for a lot of schools and an excellent back-up option. With Sam Ehlinger's injury history we're nearly guaranteed to see Shane in the spotlight again.

DL Chris Daniels, .9242: Since Strong wasn't able to stick around and develop these guys I don't want to belabor the poor mental evaluations too much -- perhaps he could have gotten through to them. But, it is curious to have the time to collect so much data with his late approach and still pursue and land so many guys of questionable football character. I'm not sure where he ended up transferring to but I know he wasn't receiving too much interest. Too bad, talented guy.

WR Collin Johnson, .9225: In my experience giant guys with good ball skills always translate, it's just a matter of to what degree. His rating is made even more curious because his ball skills are elite and not just for college. Johnson did and does require a bit more development than we thought. He also needs to start using his size for more than just going up and getting the ball by out-physicaling defensive backs off the LOS. All right, enough nit-picking. He has tremendous upside and even more ceiling to explore at X receiver. A coherent offense with a real run game and other skill weapons to relieve pressure will illuminate Johnson's talent even more.

DL Andrew Fitzgerald, .9178: I was high on Fitzgerald ever since his sophomore year and I was quite excited when he committed. His developmental curve has been longer than I anticipated. I did hear he was coming along last Spring and August before he was injured. He nearly transferred at one point but appears locked in. Lack of strength at the point of attack was an issue he was having but he's improved in that regard and I imagine he'll be a rotational player at some point. It's also possible that a four-man front will help him out a bit because he doesn't have to be quite as powerful.

OL JP Urquidez, .9116: I believe he always wanted to go to Texas but the staff recruited him very hot and cold. When the chance presented itself to get out of his Baylor LOI he jumped on it. Definitely a long-curve guy, he's running 2nd team at RT, at least on the dry erase board. I always figured he'd be a guy to check in on as a junior and that's probably still the case.

RB Kyle Porter, .9073: Yesterday I mentioned how big a miss Ronald Jones was. In the '16 class the staff should have moved on Darius Anderson. Porter does a lot of the small things right, and he's a great program guy, but he's anything but a dynamic runner. He'll be depth.

OL Denzel Okafor, .9045: Being thrust into action early did him no favors. Compounding the issue, he was put at tackle rather than guard. If you're going to break in a player, you'd rather reverse that and put them at guard first. As a player he tends to lose his technique some which can be attributed to experience. Currently he's in competition to start or at least be one of Hand's 7-8 trusted players. In a well functioning program he's a guard.

DB Eric Cuffee, .9038: It was a terrible class for corners and the staff should have looked out of state much more aggressively. Cuffee was a bit of a CB/S tweener and is currently down the depth chart. The most interesting thing here is, human idiot Jason Higdon tried to throw me under the bus with the staff for "ruining" Cuffee's announcement date when Cuffee told me himself.

DL D'Andre Christmas, .8920: Speaking of Higdon, Christmas was the best guy in the class to him. lol my friend! The man who inspired the single greatest thread I've seen on this site is depth.

DL Marcell Southall, .8911: Bad mental eval. He played with no fire. Questionable take in real time. I believe he transferred to Tyler to earn his #bEastTexas stripes before signing with Lane Kiffin at #theFAU

WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, .8822: From an ability standpoint one of my biggest misses. He earned a Mack Brown offer after torching Jermaine Roberts (2014 class signee) at a camp. Then Strong arrived and pulled the offer before re-issuing it. We had access to his first practice and I immediately knew I was wrong on him. He was getting separation with ease. He red-shirted unfortunately. After having some success this past year he got full of himself and started acting like a diva. He got into it with the staff one final time over the winter break and he was basically done there and then, though things played out a little longer.

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey, .8808: An easy guy to like as a football player and a nightmare to project. Had I known he was going to stay in the 220's then WR would have been the easy call. A unicorn with his movement skills at 6-5. Of course he was a basketball player. He'll probably be the best player on the offense this year and if that's the case I expect this to be his final season.

DB Chris Brown, .8767: Chris can play, but that 2018 DB haul was good for everyone but him. He's going to have trouble playing ahead of Foster or Sterns but with Dime personnel he may still find his way to the field. Brown should provide excellent depth.

LB DeMarco Boyd, .8670: Strong anchored himself to DeMarco as a way to win over Kris and it worked....eventually. DeMarco was a great HS player but was a tough projection to play at this level. He's currently Mac depth.

LB/DE Malcolm Roach, 8619: Jesus. I knew the networks kicked this rating but I didn't remember it was this bad. Just like tall receivers with ball skills translate, so do violent, bouncy mf'ers with growth potential. What a horrendous rating. Strong did well to win over Roach's dad and the recruitment almost came out of nowhere.

DL Gerald Wilbon, .8575: Wasn't a fan of him as a junior and thought he would be a guard but his senior film revealed better movement skills and quickness. He always played with strength at the POA. He'll play a ton this year at the nose/1-tech and should be solid in goal line/short yardage situations.

WR Davion Curtis, .8524: Yesterday I discussed Quincy Vasser. What do he and Curtis have in common? Both were flipped from Georgia. My oh my how quickly things change. Curtis is a burner who has patiently waited his turn. We continually hear positives on him but he's yet to really see the field. That should change this season.

OL Tope Imade, .8519: I was a fan of his as a guard take with great size and athleticism. He also had a good mental eval. Wickline had tough sledding recruiting-wise and jumped on Imade early. I think this current staff will benefit from that at some point. He's been athletic enough to move to defense but he's now back on offense.

DB Donovan Duvernay, .8478: Came over with the rest of the Baylor signees, including his brother. He's a decent player but depth long-term.

TE Peyton Aucoin, .8453: Opposite of Wilbon, I thought he showed some promise his junior year but didn't see a whole lot his senior season. He left the program soon after Herman arrived.

C Zach Shackelford, .8408: He's been a mixed bag. He played well for being a freshman at such a mentally demanding position but his snapping issues have killed many a drive for an offense that can't afford negative plays. He appears locked in to start, though the staff would like to identify some competition. It doesn't seem to have that luxury just yet. He was a very smart, late steal from Bill Snyder.

Thanks for posting this. Reminds me of why I get a kick out of people who project players as freshman difference makers before they've played their senior year of HS ball.  

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: Four-star ILB Shammond Cooper looking to make OV to Texas

Texas still has a need for more linebackers this cycle. While things have been pretty quiet on the Shammond Cooper front, the Longhorns are still major players for the four-star inside linebacker out of Saint Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) and will likely receive an official visit this fall. “Texas is one of those schools that sits high on my list,” Cooper said. “I was actually trying to make an official visit this summer, but they ran out. Now, I’m trying to make it during the season. I’m still very interested in them.”

Cooper, who is looking at September 15 when Texas takes on USC as a target date, has been in close contact with defensive coordinator Todd Orlandoand is impressed with his pitch thus far. “I’ve been talking a lot to Coach Orlando,” Cooper said. “He wants me to play in same type of role as Dele (Ayodele Adeoye) and be a great linebacker for him. I know Texas is a great program, and they have a terrific defense.” Freshman linebacker Ayodele Adeoye has been a tool for Texas in this recruitment. After all, Adeoye is also a Saint Louis native. “Dele has been talking to me a little bit,” Cooper said with a laugh. “He’s just been telling me that I need to come down to Texas and see everything. He said I really need to get to know Coach Orlando and meet with him.”

Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington is also an X-factor in Cooper’s recruitment. “Coach Carrington is just a really cool guy,” Cooper said. “He has relaxed talks with you. He’s probably the best recruiter out there. He makes you feel really comfortable.”

Along with Texas, Cooper is looking to make official visits to Oklahoma, Florida and a few others in the fall. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, Cooper is ranked as the No. 10 inside linebacker and No. 240 overall prospect in the state of Missouri, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

Mike Roach comment on the Tufono news: 

I think Texas would like to do a Polynesian Day if they can. They’ve placed a huge emphasis on recruiting those kids by pitching their culture. Jake Langi has been huge in that effort. It’s all a matter of getting them together and working their schedules out most likely.

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think Texas would like to do a Polynesian Day if they can. They’ve placed a huge emphasis on recruiting those kids by pitching their culture. Jake Langi has been huge in that effort. It’s all a matter of getting them together and working their schedules out most likely.

So like...don’t we have a recruiting coordinator? Couldn’t he coordinate all the schedules? Maybe? 

Im just thinking outside the box here 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

Dare I say, Dylan Wright and Javonne Shepherd are the 2 most important head to head recruiting battles with Aggy for the rest of the recruiting cycle.

We'll have to wait to see if they make a documentary about them first.  

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So like...don’t we have a recruiting coordinator? Couldn’t he coordinate all the schedules? Maybe? 

Sure, but we're not a lot of those kids' first choice, so we'd have have to work around the OVs they want to their current favorites, as well as regular tests and games and all that jazz.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Some retrospectives on the 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes from Nahlin. 2015:

Hide contents

Ryan Newsome (still deciding if he's a Bruin): Talked to his dad at MJ's draft get together. Great guy, great family. They know they were in a tough spot and didn't truly feel wanted at UCLA or Texas. Strong decided there was room and it didn't work out. I don't really count it as a miss because the way it came together Newsome didn't keep them from taking a better player.

PJ Locke (senior starter): Disappointed last year at nickel but should have a good senior year. If not, then he won't start the whole season. Locke was a fine pick-up late after Tim Irvin bailed for Auburn. Interestingly, Irvin knew he screwed up and begged Texas to let him transfer. Strong said no thanks.

Chris Warren (left early for the NFL???): This was a huge evaluation miss by the staff, and kind of by me, but mainly because I trusted the staff. They viewed him as a "mortgage payer" meaning land guys like him and you can feel confident in your job security. Yeah. I was very vocal about the staff missing on Ronald "Roland" Jones and screwing that recruitment up. Saw him on draft night too. He would have been a Horn.

Kai Locksley (transfer): Texas put itself in a rock and hard place. It didn't have any quarterbacks so it took two quarterbacks that still left them with no quarterbacks. Locksley was a pain in the ass and so was his father.

Kris Boyd (senior starter): I wrote in real time that Kris wasn't the f*** up it seemed like he was an that football important to him. He's always been an NFL player in his mind and sometimes gets a little big for his britches. But he's a tough SOB and fantastic athlete with 1st RD potential. 

Holton Hill (left early for the NFL): He and Boyd played out almost how I thought. I said Hill would be better early because he was much more refined and had about 10,000 practice reps but that Boyd's ceiling was higher. Hill lost his way once he got to campus which was unforeseen. He's a good dude but didn't prioritize football like he should have. He might make it big yet. He's a 1st RD talent.

Gilbert Johnson (never made it to ATX): A throw-in for the Florida 5 turned 1.
Anthony Wheeler (senior starter): Strong made up ground and overtook OU late and it looked like a huge win. Wheeler's COD was a question but other than that he had the look of a high upside Mike. I figured he would take to great coaching which made me wrong twice. His story is not yet fully written and he flashed some of his best ball in the spring game. 

Devonaire Clarington (never made it to ATX): Never heard of him.

DaVante Davis (senior starter): Quietest guy on the team. I figured he'd be a safety because Hill and Boyd would lockdown CB but that didn't go according to plan. Also, he gets lost in coverage at times which make safety a non-starter because there's more to process. Methinks he'll have a solid year but if not Anthony Cook looms.

Malik Jefferson (left early for the NFL): He'll tell you he didn't have the career he thought he would but he doesn't regret choosing Texas over every other school in the nation one bit. Conditions in Cincy are favorable for him to start. I'm not sure that's ideal but he needs to find a way to make it work and hit the second contract payday. 

Cecil Cherry (Horn for a day): LOL. This recruitment ran me ragged. Fans fell in love with his swagger and physicality, I fretted over his stiffness. He was a lamb who thought he was a lion. Bad mental eval.

Brandon Hodges (JC Transfer): Bad mental eval but the staff desperately needed OL help. 

Quincy Vasser (JC Transfer): Solid program guy upon arrival who played on both sides of the ball.

Tristan Nickelson (JC Transfer): Great mental eval, poor physical eval. As with Hodges, Texas had to reach. Joe Wickline thought he could turn anybody into a player and didn't recruit with much effort.

Breckyn Hager (senior starter): The first time he walked by me he was spindly as hell but I couldn't forget his shoulder width. I knew he would add significant weight. I also figured him for an edge player. He got the crazies from his dad but not the instincts. If you wanted him to take a grey shirt to make room for someone else, drop and give the board 20.

Connor Williams (left early for the NFL): I liked him more than the networks but I didn't like him as much as I should have. Doh. I learned a lot from this one. If a guy is offered as a center, tight end, and tackle, he's freaking baller.

Du'Vanta Lampkin (no hablé español - OU): Malo mental eval.

Garrett Thomas (quit football): I liked him when I saw his sophomore tape. I still recall his first offer was Michigan for some reason. I was happy they landed him. I'm not sure why it didn't work out.

Kirk Johnson (on team - healthy???): He looked like Marshall Faulk coming out of the back field at the first Under the Lights camp. I remember talking with Tommie Robinson about it and both of us shaking our heads. Injuries have robbed him. Asking about his health is pointless. 

Tristian Houston (redshirt junior): My guy at Houston at the time couldn't believe Texas took him, citing, "we wouldn't take him here." Harsh, but an odd eval especially after ignoring Ronald Jones. I will say his senior year was better than his junior year.

DeShon Elliott (left early for Charlie's couch) Re: the couch, Deshon and Strong's daughter broke up last year and she transferred to Florida I believe. Then Elliott went on a tear with....wait, what? Oh yeah, Elliott was always a safety with good size and physicality. I had one HS coach who played in the League that Elliott would be an early round pick. Almost, and he might have snuck into the the 3rd round with one more year.

Charles Omenihu (senior starter): He first popped up on the scene and was ranked like 115th in the state. Omenihu had some traits you couldn't teach but was definitely a long-curve guy. I got to know him well and knew he'd maximize. I wrote his best football would be played in the NFL and I believe that now more than ever. 

Ronnie Major (medically retired): Wickline loved him and thought he had a future 1st rounder on his hands. I don't think Major loved football like he does videography.

Patrick Vahe ( senior starter): Loved him in high school and wrote that if he was 6-5 he'd be a five-star OT. He hasn't had the career I expected but it's hard to not have sympathy for him given all the changes he's gone through.

DeAndre McNeal (finessin' elsewhere): MY DAWG! I asked him who does better with women, he or Lane. He laughed. He likes it in Boca Raton. He was a bit of a tough eval. I felt like his upside was at LB but anyone whose nickname is finessin isn't meant for that side of the ball. I bet he has a solid season.

John Burt (senior): I wasn't super high on his junior year but then his senior tape was awesome and he ran great track times. The only thing holding him back is hands. He's a great dude and program guy.

Cameron Townsend (redshirt junior): The best commitment party I've been to and his pops was one of the best dad's to go have a beer with. Cam is a bit of a tweener who just isn't explosive enough to fit into a hybrid type position.

Matthew Merrick (transfer): Gray shirt who became a red shirt. Texas missed on Kyler Murray and had room. He was a questionable take but did have some ability.

FYI Nahlin ranked Houston as a four star prospect and top 100 player in the state. He can claim now he knew he was a bust but he never ranked him as such. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Do it!

41 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah dude it totally sounds super simple to get several kids from thousands of miles away to set aside a couple days amongst tests, other visits, games, etc. Like what is Carrington even doing if he hasn't coordinated this already? 

BC and Langi are good at their jobs. They can make it happen but I wouldn't consider it a guarantee. Just because we want it to doesn't mean that they all do too, especially if we want to make this separate from their OVs. Why the angst about it in July?

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

5 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

your mom.

when you’re 6’1”, 230, 4.53 and run downhill with a bad attitude it really doesn’t matter wtf your name is. dude had 8 carries for 252 in the state championship...his sophomore year.

Good luck with Ed Orgeron

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

FYI Nahlin ranked Houston as a four star prospect and top 100 player in the state. He can claim now he knew he was a bust but he never ranked him as such. 

Calling someone top 100 in the state is hardly a strong endorsement 

• Like 2

Uh, yeah it is. Top 100 might not mean much in a smaller, less football centric state, but top 100 in Texas does mean something. Of course that doesn't mean every player on the list deserves to be there over some players left off..

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Right. But he routinely ranked these guys 4 star prospects despite being “obvious bad mental evaluations”. That’s all fine and dandy but if he did not say as much ahead of time he does not get to claim after the fact he knew it. 

I can write a column going back and claiming every bust was so obvious to me before it happened. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

But he routinely ranked these guys 4 star prospects despite being “obvious bad mental evaluations”.

I just found his 2015 rankings, and he doesn't even give out stars. Not very routine. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I think that was the point of the article Newy, he was doing a review/post-mortem. 

This is the 9.95 world, they write premium articles on public information.

I understand the point of the article. I am being critical of how often he suggested guys were “obvious bad takes”when ahead of time he made not mention if this. I specifically remember 24/7 driving the hype train on the 2016 class. Specifically the defensive line. 

Now they were all bad takes and he knew it? Forgive me for rolling my eyes while reading that article. 

• Like 2

This is what Nahlin had to say about T. Houston in his rankings:

72. RB Tristian Houston, North Shore (North Shore, TX) – Texas: Shows the traits for one-cut, outside zone running, namely feel for the cut back and one-cut and go decisiveness. He has solid acceleration, a good, sturdy build and will fight for yards upon contact.

EJ after dark: Scoop on recruits out West

— Texas is in a better spot with Williams Field (AZ) safety Noa Pola-Gates than we initially thought. The Longhorns are still making Pola-Gates a priority, and he plans to make an official visit to Texas in the fall. Pola-Gates is also working on setting up an unofficial visit to UT for the end of July, following the dead period. While Alabama is considered the favorite here, Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar has been putting in some major work in this recruitment.

— As expected, four-star Punahou (HI) inside linebacker Maninoa Tufono named Texas in his final five this week. Tufono loved his trip to Austin last month and will be back in the fall for an official visit. I did put in a Crystal Ball pick in for Washington because Tufono is a legacy, and right now, the Huskies seem to have the edge. However, we feel like Texas is the biggest threat to Washington at this time, and the Longhorns have an X-factor in recruiting staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties.

— Yes, the aforementioned Tufono has talked to five-star Honolulu St. Louis (HI) defensive tackle Faatui Tuitele about playing with each other at the next level. Texas is certainly a strong option for both as the Longhorns are in Tuitele’s final five as well, but they have some work to do. We have been told that schools like Alabama and Ohio State are in a better position at this time. Texas needs to have a big year and really hit a homerun on his official visit in the fall.

— Five-star 2020 Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Kelee Ringo plans to make an unofficial visit to Texas in the near future. Ringo is high on the Longhorns early on and has a connection in former Texas player Bryant Westbrook, who is his position coach. Keep in mind that Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beckused to be the head coach at his high school as well.

E.J. Holland's Big Board: Defensive Backs

With the spring evaluation period over and done with, it’s time to reset the big boards and look at where Texas stands with its targets at each position. We continue the series by taking a look at defensive back recruiting.

Commits

CB Kenyatta Watson II, Grayson (GA) —Watson kicked off what was a big month of May for the Longhorns on the recruiting trail. The former Florida State commit narrowed his lengthy offer list down to Notre Dame and Texas but sided with the latter due to comfort and relationships. Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, last year’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, did a terrific job of landing Watson and helping the Longhorns get their foot in the door in the talent rich state of Georgia. Watson is a long, athletic corner with plenty of upside.

CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin — Caldwell made an early commitment to Oregon, and then kind of got lost in the shuffle. His ranking certainly does not tell the whole story here as Caldwell has the size, length and ceiling to be a key contributor for the Longhorns down the line. As mentioned, Caldwell was previously committed to the Ducks, but his entire recruitment changed when Texas came calling and put an offer on the table during the spring evaluation period. Caldwell made a visit to Texas right before the dead period and committed last week, finalizing UT’s corner class.

S Chris Adimora, Mayfair (Calif.) — The Cali to Texas connection is alive and well as Adimora became the latest West Coast prospect to give the Longhorns a verbal commitment when he pulled the trigger earlier this month. Adimora is a physical safety that isn’t afraid to come down and lay the wood. The four-star recruit also has great natural cover skills with room for development. Admiora narrowed his impressive offer list down to Boise State and Texas and picked the Longhorns thanks to an amazing visit in the spring.

Top Targets

S Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian Cedar Hill — Penn State was thought to be in the driver’s seat for Cine heading into his August decision timeline. However, he made an official visit to Texas last month and was absolutely blown away. Cine is now pushing back his commitment date and plans to return to Texas for a few more visits this fall. Cine is also strongly considering Florida, Georgia and Michigan, but Texas is a nice dark horse in the race for his services. Remember, Cine moved from Massachusetts to the Lone Star State this offseason.

S Jalen Catalon, Mansfield Legacy —The best word to use when describing Catalon is playmaker. While he lacks ideal size, Catalon makes up for it with elite level instincts and a knack for creating turnovers. The four-star prospect has the potential to play a more traditional safety role or nickel at the next level. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar has made him a top priority this cycle and has put the Longhorns in a prime position to land him. Arkansas, Clemson, Ohio State and TCU are also involved, but Texas is the favorite here.

What's next for the Longhorns? Make sure you're in the loop by signing up for our FREE Texas newsletter!

Offered Prospects

CB/S Jeffery Carter, Mansfield Legacy — Carter is a versatile defensive back that can play corner, safety or nickel at the next level. Texas has offered and is in his Top 4. But the Longhorns want to continue to evaluate this season before making a big push. Alabama and Texas A&M are the favorites.

S Noa Pola-Gates, Williams Field (AZ) — Texas recently made the Top 10 for Pola-Gates and could be in line to receive an official visit this fall. However, it is tough to get a read on how interested Pola-Gates really is. Alabama seems to be the heavy favorite in his recruitment at this time.

On The Radar

S Jonathan McGill, Coppell — McGill brings a similar skillset to Catalon and might be a guy the Longhorns take another look at down the line. But for now, he is simply an evaluation prospect.

S Tyler Owens, Plano East — Owens is one of the more intriguing prospects in the state this cycle. He has the size and speed to be a quality safety at the next level or grow into a linebacker.

5 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Grades? Attitude? Texas' chances? I fucking hate the cryptic horseshit.

It bugs me too, but I'm guessing that even if they've heard of a specific incident or reason, they don't want to put it in writing and expose themselves to a defamation claim.

Edited by South Austin