Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

55 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Everything has been discussed on this thread many times.

Oh, I think we’ve got plenty of land to till on this thread yet. Off the top of my head, we’ve not really covered:

-Stanford’s fearsome awesomeness

-Oh My God Alabama is involved with one of our targets, let’s move on

-The merits of Drew Mehringer

-The merits of Derek Warehime 

-Do we need to win this year to sign a great class?

-How many scholarships can we take this year?

-The grad transfer rule - how does it work?

-Do star counts and recruiting rankings really matter?

-Are you a coach, sir? and it’s various iterations

-Some other broad being introduced to the photo gallery beyond Kate Beckinsale and how does everyone feel about that?

-Your posting style is impeding my enjoyment of my morning coffee. 

-The $9.95ers and which one is a pal versus a motherfucker. 

See, lots of terrain left to cover before August. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh, I think we’ve got plenty of land to till on this thread yet. Off the top of my head, we’ve not really covered:

-Some other broad being introduced to the photo gallery beyond Kate Beckinsale and how does everyone feel about that?

Pretty extensive list, but where's the F*** Chip Brown? 

I was thinking the same thing. It felt like their class had to almost be done. 

When you are doling out big dollars there are a ton of recruits trying to commit to them as fast as they will take it, but Georgia is just patiently deciding where to put their money.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Perspective on WR recruiting these last 2 cycles

Texas (6 signees/commits)-94.16 composite average rank

Alabama (3)-152.6 composite average

Clemson (4)-163.25 composite average

Ohio State (4)-201.75 composite average

LSU (4)-218.25 composite average

A&M (5)-343.2 composite average

How are these composite avg over 100?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

needs moar The merits of Oscar Giles. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Then, that means it’s gooder than everyone else, right?

To have 6 commits/signees with an average ranking in the top 100 is elite. Lots of talk about DB recruiting but our WR recruiting isn't that far off if they land Bru McCoy or Higgins. 

I also want to see where Jake Smith ends up at the end of the cycle. I think he ends up a good bit higher than the #88 overall recruit. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I was thinking the same thing. It felt like their class had to almost be done. 

I'm not going to look up the commitment dates, but I remember last year Kenyatta Watson senior had a podcast in the late spring bashing Georgia's slow/poor recruiting at that point. So maybe they just ramp it up during the season?

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm not going to look up the commitment dates, but I remember last year Kenyatta Watson senior had a podcast in the late spring bashing Georgia's slow/poor recruiting at that point. So maybe they just ramp it up during the season?

giphy.gif

Edited by SizzleChest

247: Mehringer among nation's top recruiters following big weekend

Spoiler

The 2018 recruiting cycle was one where several Texas assistants proved themselves as elite recruiters on a national level. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington (No. 3), tight ends coach Derek Warehime (No. 39) and safeties coach Craig Naivar (No. 49) finished among the 50-best recruiters in the country according to 247Sports with Washington claiming the title of Big 12 Recruiter of the Year.

With the 2019 summer portion of the 2019 cycle winding down, Drew Mehringer appears to be the member of Tom Herman’s staff who is on his way to a banner year on the trail.

Saturday’s commitment to Texas over Oklahoma State by four-star Oklahoma City (Okla.) Millwood wide receiver Demariyon Houston was the most recent feather Mehringer was able to put in his cap. Houston, the No. 178 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite rankings, picking the Longhorns lifted Mehringer, who still carries the title of passing game coordinator along with wide receivers coach, to No. 11 in the chase for the National Recruiter of the Year powered by the 247Sports Composite.

Mehringer is also the No. 2-ranked recruiter in the Big 12, trailing only Oklahoma’s Cale Gundy in the race for Big 12 Recruiter of the Year.

As the primary recruiter for Houston, Cuero four-star prospect Jordan Whittington (No. 38 overall in the Composite) and four-star slot receiver Jake Smith (No. 88 in the Composite), the average Composite rating score of Mehringer’s three commitments is 95.50. Only Alabama defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi (95.60) and Ohio State quarterbacks coach Ryan Day (96.07) have an average recruit rating higher than what Mehringer has totaled to this point.

Mehringer’s first season on the Forty Acres was a mixed bag. While Mehringer was the point man in the recruitment of both Brennan Eagles and Al’vonte Woodard along with doing his part to help reel in Joshua Moore — a trio of prospects ranked 61st, 96th and 104th, respectively, in the 2018 Composite rankings — the Texas wideouts underperformed, failing to match the amount of preseason hype the unit carried into the 2017 season.

With the Longhorns having a lot of numbers at the position and the pace of practice making it a tall order for Mehringer to deliver the proper instruction each player needed. Herman’s move of Corby Meekins to wide receivers coach from coaching tight ends alongside Mehringer made an impact in the spring: Collin Johnson and John Burt made noticeable improvements in their respective games, Lil'Jordan Humphrey might have enjoyed the best spring of anyone on offense and Devin Duvernay was in the conversation for being the most improved player in the program.

With Mehringer’s current players appearing to be on track for a successful 2018 season, the second-year assistant coach who was on Herman’s Houston staff in 2015 before a one-year stint as the offensive coordinator at Rutgers in 2016 hasn’t slowed down and has in many ways turned it up a notch when it comes to bringing top-notch talent into the program.

I just want to watch this board burn for awhile

• Like 8

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Don't forget:

- Fuck Chip Brown

- Way too many conversations about the merits of Oscar Giles

- Why don't we recruit OL or DL. WTF are the coaches thinking?

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Reveal hidden contents

The 2018 recruiting cycle was one where several Texas assistants proved themselves as elite recruiters on a national level. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington (No. 3), tight ends coach Derek Warehime (No. 39) and safeties coach Craig Naivar (No. 49) finished among the 50-best recruiters in the country according to 247Sports with Washington claiming the title of Big 12 Recruiter of the Year.

With the 2019 summer portion of the 2019 cycle winding down, Drew Mehringer appears to be the member of Tom Herman’s staff who is on his way to a banner year on the trail.

Saturday’s commitment to Texas over Oklahoma State by four-star Oklahoma City (Okla.) Millwood wide receiver Demariyon Houston was the most recent feather Mehringer was able to put in his cap. Houston, the No. 178 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite rankings, picking the Longhorns lifted Mehringer, who still carries the title of passing game coordinator along with wide receivers coach, to No. 11 in the chase for the National Recruiter of the Year powered by the 247Sports Composite.

Mehringer is also the No. 2-ranked recruiter in the Big 12, trailing only Oklahoma’s Cale Gundy in the race for Big 12 Recruiter of the Year.

As the primary recruiter for Houston, Cuero four-star prospect Jordan Whittington (No. 38 overall in the Composite) and four-star slot receiver Jake Smith (No. 88 in the Composite), the average Composite rating score of Mehringer’s three commitments is 95.50. Only Alabama defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi (95.60) and Ohio State quarterbacks coach Ryan Day (96.07) have an average recruit rating higher than what Mehringer has totaled to this point.

Mehringer’s first season on the Forty Acres was a mixed bag. While Mehringer was the point man in the recruitment of both Brennan Eagles and Al’vonte Woodard along with doing his part to help reel in Joshua Moore — a trio of prospects ranked 61st, 96th and 104th, respectively, in the 2018 Composite rankings — the Texas wideouts underperformed, failing to match the amount of preseason hype the unit carried into the 2017 season.

With the Longhorns having a lot of numbers at the position and the pace of practice making it a tall order for Mehringer to deliver the proper instruction each player needed. Herman’s move of Corby Meekins to wide receivers coach from coaching tight ends alongside Mehringer made an impact in the spring: Collin Johnson and John Burt made noticeable improvements in their respective games, Lil'Jordan Humphrey might have enjoyed the best spring of anyone on offense and Devin Duvernay was in the conversation for being the most improved player in the program.

With Mehringer’s current players appearing to be on track for a successful 2018 season, the second-year assistant coach who was on Herman’s Houston staff in 2015 before a one-year stint as the offensive coordinator at Rutgers in 2016 hasn’t slowed down and has in many ways turned it up a notch when it comes to bringing top-notch talent into the program.

Ah yes. The same way Oscar Giles landed us Carson, Ojomo, and Coburn ole’ drew got us Jake Smith. Tim Beck and his Arizona connections never played any part at all.

Also I hate you. 

Spoiler The 2018 recruiting cycle was one where several Texas assistants proved themselves as elite recruiters on a national level. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington (No. 3), tight ends coach Derek Warehime (No. 39) and safeties coach Craig Naivar (No. 49) finished among the 50-best recruiters in the country according to 247Sports with Washington claiming the title of Big 12 Recruiter of the Year.

Hmmm. This doesn’t match the narrative on this board. Who’s wrong?

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Hmmm. This doesn’t match the narrative on this board. Who’s wrong?

Who is right more frequently, contributors on this board, or shilling mouthbreathers trying to salvage some favor with the UT staff over at 247? I’ll never forget when Howe wrote the article comparing Swoopes to VY and defended Brown not pursuing JT Barrett. Or the many articles defending Shawn Watson and telling us the offense had turned a corner heading into 2015. Or the Chip Brown hit piece. Or EJ Holland telling us all that Marcel Brooks was “this close” to visiting and getting an offer. And on and on. Yeah, they’ve got their finger on the pulse. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah that was in one of the write ups after he committed.  If there is an issue it may just be that he is missing a class that Texas requires and not a grade problem.

I can't believe the Oklahoma public school system wouldn't have an excellent grip on getting kids college-ready. The mind boggles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Who is right more frequently, contributors on this board, or shilling mouthbreathers trying to salvage some favor with the UT staff over at 247? I’ll never forget when Howe wrote the article comparing Swoopes to VY and defended Brown not pursuing JT Barrett. Or the many articles defending Shawn Watson and telling us the offense had turned a corner heading into 2015. Or the Chip Brown hit piece. Or EJ Holland telling us all that Marcel Brooks was “this close” to visiting and getting an offer. And on and on. Yeah, they’ve got their finger up their asses

FIFY

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Who is right more frequently, contributors on this board, or shilling mouthbreathers trying to salvage some favor with the UT staff over at 247? I’ll never forget when Howe wrote the article comparing Swoopes to VY and defended Brown not pursuing JT Barrett. Or the many articles defending Shawn Watson and telling us the offense had turned a corner heading into 2015. Or the Chip Brown hit piece. Or EJ Holland telling us all that Marcel Brooks was “this close” to visiting and getting an offer. And on and on. Yeah, they’ve got their finger on the pulse. 

Remember when Swoopes was a 5 star and the number one ranked player in the state at one point? That was cool. 

<insert Chris Farely pic> 

Remember when  Chris Whaley ran the 100M in 7,000 seconds finishing behind the kids in wheelchairs but the sites still told us he was a blue chip RB prospect? That was cool. 

Edited by Newy25