Texas recruiting notes 2019

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Orgeron said Joseph was going to play corner after signing 0 CBs in the '18 class. I am shocked. Based on everything I've read Joseph moving to corner was more out of necessity than "we were recruiting him there". 

http://www.tigerrag.com/obviously-wanted-sign-one-lsu-moving-kelvin-joseph-cornerback-explore-graduate-transfer-missing-patrick-surtain-jr/

Joseph was considered a top 10 corner as a junior, he kinda out-grew the position. Grew to 6-1, 190, but his 40 dropped to a 4.6 laser. Long term term, that makes you a safety at DBU

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hah, I meant it about Jamison - he's from Louisiana and all that. Had no idea LSU didn't even offer though - Green is the better case.

Green is the better comp, but the big difference is that Cain’s dad still lives right outside BR

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, New_Roads said:

Joseph was considered a top 10 corner as a junior, he kinda out-grew the position. Grew to 6-1, 190, but his 40 dropped to a 4.6 laser. Long term term, that makes you a safety at DBU

Green is the better comp, but the big difference is that Cain’s dad still lives right outside BR

He doesn't go to Texas tho 🤔

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-tuesday-july-10th/

Reveal hidden contents

– This weekend, 2019 WR, Elijah Higgins dropped his final seven which included Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Stanford, and Texas.

An interesting omission was Texas A&M. We had heard Higgins liked TAMU but I always go back to one of my initial conversations with Higgins when he put a big emphasis on living in what he sees as a cool city. Not to disparage College Station but he didn’t seem keen on the city. He certainly seemed to like his hometown of Austin.

If living in a bigger city really is a priority to Higgins then one would think Stanford and Ohio State are the real threats.

Higgins parents are originally from Florida so I’ll throw them in there.

Following the clues, I’d surmise Higgins already has a top four of Texas, Stanford, Ohio State and Florida.

I’ll be asking around to see if there are any of that top four list we feel can be cut or added. – (Super K)

– Texas also added commitments on Saturday from WR Demariyon Houston and DB Marques Caldwell. Pushing the Longhorns to 13 commits in the 2019 class, and pushing them into the Top 10 in the recruiting team rankings.

Team Notes:

It already looks like Texas has some talent in the group of early enrollee freshmen. Guys like Cook, Sterns, Ayodele, and Foster will likely see the field this year.

But we’ve been asking around about the freshmen who enrolled this summer and three names came up as guys who are standing out early on in workouts. As usual, we remind me you to keep in mind that it’s early…

*Demarvion Overshown – is built and moves like a first rounder and appears to have the work ethic you want in a young man with that kind of ceiling.

*Joseph Ossai was a guy whose name we had heard early on and have already mentioned. But it’s worth mentioning him again because it seems he hasn’t fallen off. Again, you’ve got a big athletic guy but as importantly you have a young leader – a mature, hard-working player who came in bought in.

*Interestingly, another name I’ve heard is that of defensive lineman, Michael Williams. Williams comes in as a guy out of Louisiana who the Horns snatched up late in the process. We all saw on film how well he can run and change direction but he was listed at around 240 lbs last fall. I’m told he is now up to 280 lbs. So, he’s already overcome the only real concern for him. Like Malcolm Roach, Williams might be another steal out of the Boot for the Horns. – (Super K)

– One of Texas’ Top DE targets is Independence CC (MO) Jermaine Johnson. Last night, he cut his list to 5.

Johnson is a December-grad, so a decision could be made as early as this summer. So far, Johnson has taken two official visits to Colorado and Oregon. He has also taken some unofficial visits this summer to Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. He was in Austin for the Heat Wave event.

Right now it sounds like if a decision was made today, Georgia would likely be the pick. He loves the success that Kirby Smart and company have had in Athens and playing in the SEC only adds to his interest. Texas and Oklahoma looked like the clear potential choices behind Georgia, but I was told that Oregon really opened his eyes on his recent official visit.

The longer this one goes on, the better for Texas. – (Will)

Mike Williams was listed at 240 but actually played in the 260-270 range last year, fwiw 

A realistic ideal finish....

LOOKING GOOD:

Dylan Wright WR

Elijah Higgins WR

Javonne Shepard OT

Lewis Cine S

Jalen Catalon S

Noah Cain RB

Makiya Tongue ATH

David Gbenda LB

Taurean Carter DT

WORK TO DO:

Rian Davis (UGA lean) LB

Bru McCoy (USC lean) ATH

DeMarvion Leal (Flip) DT/DE

Jermaine Johnson (Juco) WDE

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

LOOKING GOOD:

Dylan Wright WR

Elijah Higgins WR

Javonne Shepard OT

Lewis Cine S

Jalen Catalon S

Noah Cain RB

Makiya Tongue ATH

David Gbenda LB

Taurean Carter DT

WORK TO DO:

Rian Davis (UGA lean) LB

Bru McCoy (USC lean) ATH

Cain and Higgins should probably be in "work to do" at this point 

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Who will Texas close with at WR?

What receivers fill out the 2019 class? -- UTwildcatter34

EJ: That’s one of the more intriguing storylines moving forward. I still like where Texas stands with Dylan Wright, and he’s a take no matter what as is Marcus Washington — though, I don’t see UT landing him at this point. Bru McCoy and Makiya Tongue are viewed more as athletes, so I think you can squeeze them in. And then there is a wildcard in Elijah Higgins, who is looking to decide in August. Guys like Jaylen Ellis, Peyton Powell and Langston Anderson are more of secondary options at this time. If I hard to pick right now, I would go with Wright and Tongue. But it’s not farfetched to think that Higgins jumps on board and McCoy shocks people out West and sides with UT.

Mike: It’s certainly the cloudiest outlook on the Texas board. I’ll also say Wright and Tongue as guys I can see Texas landing. If Higgins pushes back his decision, it’s nothing but good news for the Longhorns.

If you had to pick, who is better wide receiver -- Dylan Wright or Elijah Higgins? -- cbtaylor1902

EJ: I love Higgins. He’s one of the guys I’m closest to, and I love the progress he’s shown this offseason. He’s a big-bodied receiver that gives defenses fits coming across the middle with his size and speed. But Dylan Wright is the answer. He’s an intriguing athletic specimen with so much upside. He’s a Top 5 player in the state in my opinion. And there is a reason he’s one of UT’s top overall remaining targets.

Mike: Like EJ, I’m a big fan of Higgins as well, but I believe no player in the state possesses the ceiling that Dylan Wright has. The short answer is, right now Higgins can contribute more immediately, but Wright has the potential to completely dominate.

Which Texas targets left on the board will make a commitment announcement before the first game of the season? -- vinnyC40

EJ: As mentioned, Higgins is looking to make a decision in August. However, he could push things back. Tongue is also planning to decide in August and if Texas can get him back on campus after the dead period, I believe the Longhorns can close. Of course, four-star outside linebacker Rian Davis and four-star defensive end Jermaine Johnson are likely to decide this summer as well. But Georgia appears to be in the pole position for both.

Mike: Right now, I don’t think it bodes well if any of the guys pegged for early decisions make them. With guys like Johnson, Davis and Higgins, you have to hope those guys push their decisions, and Texas has a big season.

You have said you can see Texas taking a full 25 this class. What do you think the numbers look like at each position? I would think QB and TE are done. OL, DL and LB need the most commits still. Thanks as always. You guys are the best. -- nbhornsfan

EJ: If Texas does take a full 25, that means there are twelve spots remaining. I could see 1-2 running backs, 2-3 more wide receivers, 2-3 more offensive linemen, 2-3 more defensive linemen, two more linebackers and two more defensive backs. There are guys Texas will take no matter what like McCoy and Wright, but that’s a good estimate.

Mike: EJ pretty much nailed the numbers. I think they’d like to take two guys at running back, but they will have to be the right guys. The same goes for the offensive line, though it looks like they will have to juggle targets a bit during the fall.

Do you think we'll get OVs from Marcus Washington & Shammond Cooper? What about Faatui Tuitele & Maninoa Tufono? -- professorbiggs

EJ: I actually think Texas gets official visits from all of them. Washington and Cooper are looking to schedule their OVs for the game against USC. I haven’t heard dates thrown around for the Hawaii duo, but I believe Texas will get them back on campus.

Mike: The USC game has the potential to be a big weekend, and it appears Texas is going to land in the Top 5 for all of the guys you mentioned. Ostensibly, that would mean they would get official visits when the time comes.

Erick Young said Texas was mad when he committed and was pushing extremely hard for him, is that true? -- zehlers

EJ: No. Texas had already earned a commitment from Chris Adimora and moved on a while ago. Texas did offer and made a bit of a push around junior day back in February. But I feel like they had guys higher on the board, including Lewis Cine and Jalen Catalon — both of whom remain priority targets. I don’t think Texas lost any sleep when he sided with the Aggies.

Mike: I think Texas actually has its safety board pretty organized, and knowing it had Adimora as a silent didn’t hurt. Texas is also extremely high on Cine and Catalon, and I believe they would have all three rated above Young on their board.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

LOOKING GOOD:

Dylan Wright WR

Elijah Higgins WR

Javonne Shepard OT

Lewis Cine S

Jalen Catalon S

Noah Cain RB

Makiya Tongue ATH

David Gbenda LB

Taurean Carter DT

WORK TO DO:

Rian Davis (UGA lean) LB

Bru McCoy (USC lean) ATH

people need to stop talking about Leal.  he’s not going to flip to UT.  let it go. 

Edited by futureman

1 hour ago, futureman said:

people need to stop talking about Leal.  he’s not going to flip to UT.  let it go. 

That’s funny, I meant to write ‘ideal’ not ‘definite’....no....no actually I DID write ‘ideal’....guess you’re just an illiterate fuck.

• Like 1

EJ after dark: State of offensive line recruiting

— In case you missed it, IMG Academy (Fla.) offensive lineman Chris Akporoghene committed to Tennessee on Monday. So where do the Longhorns go from here? Well, finding an interior offensive lineman is still a need this cycle. The loss of Branson Bragg hurt, so now UT will have to explore secondary options. I recently mentioned Kahuku (HI) product Enokk Vimahi as a potential target, and he’s one to keep an eye on. Another name to know is three Whitehaven (TN) guard Melvin McBride. He holds several P5 offers and has been in recent contact with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand, who is starting to recruit Tennessee hard. Hand has also spoken with Bishop Alemany (Calif.) product Dohnovan West in recent days. He also holds a number of P5 offers.  

— At the tackle position, Texas obviously holds a commitment from five-star Conroe Oak Ridge product Tyler Johnson. He is completely solid and won’t waver. Texas would like to add at least one more piece to the puzzle. We still feel really good about where the Longhorns stand with Javonne Shepherd. Texas still holds the edge for A&M, and I still wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls sooner than expected. UT is still recruiting Stacey Wilkins hard and will get him in for an OV on September 15. But OU still seems to have the edge there.

— Texas made the Top 10 for five-star 2020 Buchanan (Calif.) running back Kendall Milton as the Longhorns continue to establish a big presence out West. So what are the chances here? Well, pulling Milton away from favorite USC will be tough. However, Milton has been in close contact with Stan Drayton and is impressed with his resume of developing running backs. If Texas can get him on campus, it could become a true player in this recruitment.

— Rising 2021 Hutto defensive end Landyn Watson already holds offers from the likes of Baylor, Oklahoma State and Houston. He visited Texas earlier this offseason and informed Horns247 that he would be back on campus on July 27 following the end of the dead period. He is a prospect to watch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

That’s funny, I meant to write ‘ideal’ not ‘definite’....no....no actually I DID write ‘ideal’....guess you’re just an illiterate fuck.

you poor bastard, you really need to let it go.  he’s not coming here.  sorry, guy.