Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

58 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

An in state running back is now ranked higher than Cain by 247. I linked him below. Also according to 247, Iowa State has top national top 150 running back commits. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Daimarqua-Foster-46050025

In watching Cain's sophomore film, one thing that is apparent is that he ran behind a pretty damn good line at Guyer.

Cain to me looks like someone with a ceiling around Malcolm Brown's ability, which is nothing to shake a stick at. I think we'd all agree that we'd take another one of those, no question. Not overly fast, good balance and vision, a little wiggle, runs hard, has a lower center of gravity. Doesn't have the acceleration or top end speed of someone like Zeke Elliot that would make a RB of that mold a game changer.

Jeff Howe: What do Roschon Johnson, Kenyatta Watson need to do to move up in the rankings?

Seven of the 13 members of the Texas recruiting class for 2019 are ranked inside the Top247 in the latest rankings update released by 247Sports on Thursday. Two future Longhorns who remain on the outside looking in for both a spot in the Top247 and a fourth star from 247Sports are Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson and cornerback Kenyatta Watson II (Loganville, Ga./Grayson). Both are highly-ranked prospects according to the 247Sports Composite rankings: Watson is currently the nation’s 168th-ranked overall prospect according to the industry-wide rankings (No. 17-ranked cornerback and No. 21 overall prospect in Georgia) while Johnson is No. 210 overall in the Composite (nation’s No. 4-ranked dual-threat quarterback, No. 29 overall prospect in Texas). However, Watson remains a 247Sports three-star prospect with a grade of 87 while Johnson is a three-star recruit with an 88 grade in the 247Sports rankings.

So what’s keeping them from moving up in the rankings? According to 247Sports Director of Recruiting Barton Simmons, it’s a case of Watson being a better prospect than a player. Simmons liked the 6-foot-2-inch, 187-pound Watson when he evaluated him The Opening Regional event in Charlotte during the spring and told Horns247 that Watson will definitely have a chance to move up in the ranking depending on what he shows as a senior. “It's all about what he puts on tape in pads,” Simmons said. “Kenyatta is an unreal athlete. He's got a great frame too. It hasn't all clicked on the field yet. If he puts together a dominant senior season, he'll move up.”

Watson might have made a climb had been able to perform at The Opening Finals, an event he had to miss as he was recovering from shoulder surgery at the time. The good news for the burnt orange faithful looking for Watson to jump up in the rankings is Simmons feels Watson can turn potential into production when he gets back on the field. “I'd like to see better ball skills,” Simmons said. “I'd like to see more comfort in man as opposed to strictly bail techniques but beyond that, we're just waiting for the play to match the athleticism. I think there's a chance that happens this fall.”

There’s not much Johnson has left to do to prove how good of a player he is at the high school level. The 6-foot-1, 192-pound gunslinger threw for 2,918 yards and 35 touchdowns against five interceptions on a 181-for-279 performance (64.9 percent completion rate) through the air as a junior while also rushing for 1,627 yards and 29 touchdowns (7.2 yards per attempt). The issue Simmons sees as far as Johnson’s ranking is concerned has to do with Johnson’s potential as an NFL prospect. That’s one way to judge quarterbacks and Johnson, when he had the chance to prove himself in that kind of setting, didn’t advance from the Elite 11 Finals in California to The Opening Finals at The Star in Frisco.

While Simmons sees Johnson as a prospect with the tools to be a tremendous fit in the pro-spread offense of Tom Herman and the presence the Texas program needs behind center, it’s going to take a thorough breakdown of Johnson’s progress as a passer that will determine where he’s ranked by 247Sports when the dust settles. “Johnson didn't do much at the Elite 11 Finals to help his case for a fourth star,” Simmons said. “I still think he's a really good player though and a no-brainer take for Texas. He fits the system and he's got a high-achieving personality but we don't see an NFL arm yet. If he flashes that as a senior he could see his ranking improve.”

Jeff Howe: Top247 movement for Texas verbals highlighted by Chris Adimora, Jake Smith

The ascent of four-star tight end Brayden Liebrock (Chandler, Ariz.) into the Top247 for the first time in the current cycle was the biggest move up the rankings by a member of the 2019 Texas recruiting class in the latest 247Sports rankings update released on Thursday. Liebrock debuting in the rankings at No. 184 overall, however, wasn’t the only move made by a member of the Longhorns current-cycle recruiting haul.

Four-star safety Chris Adimora (Lakewood, Calif./Mayfair) moved up 20 spots from No. 180 to No 160 overall. One of three verbal commitments the Longhorns have earned in the month of July — Oklahoma City (Okla.) Millwood four-star wide receiver Demariyon Houston and Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell have also jumped in the boat this month — Adimora is now the nation’s 12th-ranked safety prospect according to 247Sports and he’s the 20th-best prospect regardless of position in the state of California.

247Sports Director of Recruiting Barton Simmons mentioned Adimora prominently when breaking down what the 2018 NFL Draft taught him about safety evaluations. What made Adimora stand out when looking at some of the nation’s top safety prospects carried over to when Simmons and the rest of the 247Sports team concluded the most recent rankings update. “I love the profile for Adimora,” Simmons said. “He's a multi-sport athlete that plays his other sports at a high level. He plays offense. He has ball skills. He'll strike you.”

A basketball player who also runs track, Adimora recorded 71 tackles, one tackle for loss, two forced fumbles and seven interceptions as a junior, one of which he returned for a touchdown. The 6-foot-1 ½-inch, 192-pound Adimora is someone Simmons thinks has a chance to enjoy a prosperous career on the Forty Acres. “I just think he's a guy that checks all the boxes,” Simmons said. “He's raw in coverage right now but I'm not worried about that given his background.

As far as the other members of the recruiting class who are in the Top247 in the most recent update, there was no significant movement one way or the other. Conroe Oak Ridge offensive tackle Tyler Johnson dropped six spots from No. 35 to No. 41, but that appears mostly due to lower-ranked players moving ahead of him following The Opening Finals and other events that have taken place throughout the late spring and early summer. The drop did cause Johnson to go from a five-star to a four-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite rankings as he’s now the nation’s No. 33-ranked prospect.

Linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd (Westlake Village, Calif./Westlake) moved up one spot to No. 62 to round out the Texas commitments ranked among the nation’s top 100 recruits. Cuero’s Jordan Whittington dropped three spots down to No. 117 while Houston moved up one spot to No. 165 overall. “We feel pretty good about where we have those guys right now,” Simmons said of the rest of the future Longhorns in the Top247.

The most interesting Top247 members of the Texas class not already mentioned, Simmons said, is four-star slot receiver Jake Smith (Scottsdale, Ariz./Notre Dame Preparatory). A huge recruiting win for the Longhorns over USC, Smith is someone Simmons can see moving up in the rankings before the dust settles on the cycle. “His film is really good,” Simmons said. “He's great running with the football and I think he brings some juice to an offense. I could see him being a guy that moves up later on if we get a chance to gain some confidence on him by seeing him more.”

Edited by satyanash

Camp, NFL, tape

247 uses three metrics subjectively and interchangeably to move up or down whoever the Fuck they want to, whenever they want, t appease whoever the fuck they’re trying impress. 

Tyler Johnson. Great Tape, NFL measurable = “yeah but he doesnt go to camps so how can you really know how good he is, so we are going to knock him for that”

Eric Nahlin's thoughts on the updated in-state rankings

From Fuddy ‘s list which is 247’s instate list. Comments are mine and irrefutable.

1) Garrett Wilson - no problem

2) Marcel Brooks - hell no. Do they even apply context of instate schools not pursuing him?

3) Jeffery Carter - hell no. Another one that could make them look foolish. Not as big of a risk. Love his athleticism.

4) Kenyon Green - should be lower. Likely a guard but he’s reshaping some.

5) Tyler Johnson - should be lower. He and KG are about the same level of prospect with TJ more likely to remain at OT

6) DeMarvin Leal - should be higher

7) Baylor Cupp - no problem with this. He’s a stud.

😎 Trejan Bridges - should be lower, but still top 20

9) Theo Wease - #2 or 3 WR instate. Should be higher. High floor like Wilson, well-rounded

10) Elijah Higgins - #4 WR instate. This is probably about right for this cycle.

11) Dylan Wright - #2 or 3 WR instate. Rank him according to ceiling and he’s higher. Per floor, a little lower. Only qualm is he should be ahead of Higgins

12) Nana Osafo-Mensah - too high for me because of his floor.

13) Demani Richardson - should be higher for sure. He’s top 5 probably

14) Brian Williams - this is about right. Not a 5-star

15) Lewis Cine - should be in the 20’s.

16) EJ Ndoma-Ogar - fine with this

17) Austin Stogner - whatever, about right. OU is a good fit so he’ll produce.

18) Marquez Beason - fine

19) Branson Bragg - fine

20) Jordan Whittington - He finally got ranked as a WR. Thems the breaks.

21) Tamauzia Brown - I like him as an ATH (probably safety) but this is too high

22) Bobby Wolfe - too high, probably a S, maybe a N

23) Arjei Henderson - High floor from an on-field standpoint, but maybe not the ceiling of some others. Great hands. Okay with this

24) Javonne Shepherd - Another one balancing floor and ceiling with emphasis on the floor here. Ceiling makes him a top 15 guy to me

25) Erick Young - Terrible. Might be the best DB in the Aggie class. Didn’t he just kill it at The Opening?

26) Marcus Stripling - they probably ranked him as a DE when he’ll clearly move up and down line and eventually become an interior player. Should be higher

27) Jalen Catalon - Terrible. This tells me they’re rating athletes not football players

28) David Gbenda - About right. Curious to see his September

29) Daimarqua Foster - don’t think he’s better than Doerue, or.....

30) Noah Cain - Ha ha ha ha. If he picks Texas he’ll have emptied his ass on this rating by the RRS of his freshman year

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Idk if he’s better than Cain but I saw him twice last year and watched him run for 580 in one game.   Foster that is. He’s an animal. 

His moves are virtual reality 

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Nearly every rankings bump went to an A&M or blOU commit/target. Virtually nothing for our in-state guys.

That's fine, see how this season clears out the wheat from the chaff.  Don't act like rankings prior to the season mean as much as how they produce later, unless you're aggy-- then go right ahead.  

Barring injury, I expect Garrett Wilson will prove that top ranking, he is fun to watch.  

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

Jeff Howe: What do Roschon Johnson, Kenyatta Watson need to do to move up in the rankings?

Hide contents

Seven of the 13 members of the Texas recruiting class for 2019 are ranked inside the Top247 in the latest rankings update released by 247Sports on Thursday. Two future Longhorns who remain on the outside looking in for both a spot in the Top247 and a fourth star from 247Sports are Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson and cornerback Kenyatta Watson II (Loganville, Ga./Grayson). Both are highly-ranked prospects according to the 247Sports Composite rankings: Watson is currently the nation’s 168th-ranked overall prospect according to the industry-wide rankings (No. 17-ranked cornerback and No. 21 overall prospect in Georgia) while Johnson is No. 210 overall in the Composite (nation’s No. 4-ranked dual-threat quarterback, No. 29 overall prospect in Texas). However, Watson remains a 247Sports three-star prospect with a grade of 87 while Johnson is a three-star recruit with an 88 grade in the 247Sports rankings.

So what’s keeping them from moving up in the rankings? According to 247Sports Director of Recruiting Barton Simmons, it’s a case of Watson being a better prospect than a player. Simmons liked the 6-foot-2-inch, 187-pound Watson when he evaluated him The Opening Regional event in Charlotte during the spring and told Horns247 that Watson will definitely have a chance to move up in the ranking depending on what he shows as a senior. “It's all about what he puts on tape in pads,” Simmons said. “Kenyatta is an unreal athlete. He's got a great frame too. It hasn't all clicked on the field yet. If he puts together a dominant senior season, he'll move up.”

Watson might have made a climb had been able to perform at The Opening Finals, an event he had to miss as he was recovering from shoulder surgery at the time. The good news for the burnt orange faithful looking for Watson to jump up in the rankings is Simmons feels Watson can turn potential into production when he gets back on the field. “I'd like to see better ball skills,” Simmons said. “I'd like to see more comfort in man as opposed to strictly bail techniques but beyond that, we're just waiting for the play to match the athleticism. I think there's a chance that happens this fall.”

There’s not much Johnson has left to do to prove how good of a player he is at the high school level. The 6-foot-1, 192-pound gunslinger threw for 2,918 yards and 35 touchdowns against five interceptions on a 181-for-279 performance (64.9 percent completion rate) through the air as a junior while also rushing for 1,627 yards and 29 touchdowns (7.2 yards per attempt). The issue Simmons sees as far as Johnson’s ranking is concerned has to do with Johnson’s potential as an NFL prospect. That’s one way to judge quarterbacks and Johnson, when he had the chance to prove himself in that kind of setting, didn’t advance from the Elite 11 Finals in California to The Opening Finals at The Star in Frisco.

While Simmons sees Johnson as a prospect with the tools to be a tremendous fit in the pro-spread offense of Tom Herman and the presence the Texas program needs behind center, it’s going to take a thorough breakdown of Johnson’s progress as a passer that will determine where he’s ranked by 247Sports when the dust settles. “Johnson didn't do much at the Elite 11 Finals to help his case for a fourth star,” Simmons said. “I still think he's a really good player though and a no-brainer take for Texas. He fits the system and he's got a high-achieving personality but we don't see an NFL arm yet. If he flashes that as a senior he could see his ranking improve.”

These motherfuckers really think they're the tail wagging the dog.

Steve Wiltfong: Top247 LB Maninoa Tufono talks about his top schools

CANTON, Ohio - Punahou (Haw.) High Top247 linebacker Maninoa Tufono released his top five this week while at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Academy, narrowing his focus to LSU, Texas, UCLA, USC and Washington. 247Sports caught up to him a day prior where he talked about most of those programs. The four-star Tufono said of the five, “I think recruiting me the hardest is probably Texas and Washington.”

Tufono said that now that he has released his top five he’ll start planning his official visits with a decision timeline set for December. “If I’m feeling it, I’m going to commit during the season.” Washington is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite. He visited during the spring. “Coach (Chris) Petersen and Coach (Bob) Gregory are recruiting me hard,” Tufono said. “Just building my relationship with Coach Gregory and Coach Pete. They have a great program for kids after football.”

Tufono feels needs at Texas and LSU. “Coach (Todd) Orlando and Coach (Tom) Herman, I have a good relationship with them,” he said of the Longhorns. “Tradition there. I see myself playing right away also, competing for a job right away. Their depth chart says they need a lot of linebackers. It’s good knowing De’Gabriel Floyd is there already. Me and him on the inside is a scary sight. LSU same thing. Coach (Dave) Aranda has a lot of wisdom. Very intelligent guy to learn from. I see myself playing right away because of depth chart issues. I like the SEC football.”

Tufono says UCLA is on the rise. “Of course Coach Chip (Kelly,” Tufono said. “The era he’s building for that program. It’s just downhill from here. Of course the facilities and prestigious education they provide.” The industry-generated 247Sports Composite bills Tufono as the nation’s No. 6 inside linebacker and No. 152 prospect overall.