Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I bet he ends up at Missori, Ole Miss, or Houston.

I hope not.  Would like to see him in Burnt Orange.  I get wanting guys like David, McCoy, Tongue, and Cooper ahead of him but I don't really think enough of those guys commit to where there isn't room for Gbenda.

10 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Ya know im an old guy. When you say "#"  im still thinking "pound"

As in "pound me too"

My 10 year had to tell me that’s a hashtag.   I’m like, no that’s a pound sign.  My fourteen year steps in to inform me that the pound sign is “lb”. At least I know what cb means.  Thanks Shaggy/Surly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ausjala said:

Pretty much the reaction from most of us I would think. But a nice graphic none the less. So I take it our new graphics man is on the job.

I think Big Hec is actually just a fan who is really good at photoshop, not an official graphics guy AFAIK.

20 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I think Big Hec is actually just a fan who is really good at photoshop, not an official graphics guy AFAIK.

The edits are done by Nicholas Barnes, who is a student graphic designer for the program.

https://www.instagram.com/nbarnesdesigns/

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Since it's the dead period, and we're all just reading tweets about Bowlsby's speech, can we get a "Shh" update?  Are there any Carrington Shh's that are still unaccounted for?

There's one current outstanding ssh for your mom 

• Like 2

Most of IT's recruiting stuff today is 2020/21 based. A few notes about '19s:

UNDER ARMOUR PRIME 21 CAMP

It seems I see Trinity Catholic (Cedar Hill) four-star safety (No. 50 overall for 2019 on 247) Lewis Cine at every major camp in 2018. With this camp being put on by his mentor, Primetime, you know he wasn't going to miss this one.

“It went great,” said Cine. “I learned a lot from a lot of the greats. And I am hitting Austin for the USC game.”

About that....where does Texas currently stand?

“(Colleges) are all different in their own way," said Cine. "That’s what I like. Texas is big time football and I love the educational aspects of UT along with the coaching staff.”

Penn State is the immediate threat. But UT will see him again soon. 

About July 27th... that date looms large as it’ll be UT’s last summer recruiting event until two-a-days crank up in early August. Here's a too-early list of expected attendees in two weeks. 

Roschon Johnson (TEXAS) -- 2019 QB
Jaylen Garth -- 2020 OL
Noa Pola Gates -- 2019 S from Arizona
David Gbenda -- 2019 LB
Zach Evans (hard maybe) -- 2020 RB, as if you don't know
Javonne Shepherd (decent maybe) -- 2019 OL
Jake Smith (TEXAS) -- 2019 WR
Jared Wiley (TEXAS) -- 2019 TE
Lorando Johnson -- 2020 DB
Ty Jordan -- 2020 RB
Jaxon Smith-Njigba -- 2020 WR
Jalen Kimber -- 2020 CB
Myles Price -- 2020 RB
Landyn Watson -- 2021 LB/DE
Darius Snow (soft maybe) -- 2020 S/LB

Texas would like to receive visits from the Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) senior duo of Marcus Washington (WR) and Shammond Cooper (LB), both of which sounded eager to visit Austin after speaking with them at The Opening.

We’ve mentioned guys like Andrew Coker, the Katy Taylor offensive lineman and TCU verbal, as possible contingencies in this cycle. A pair of Oklahoma State commits - Cole Birmingham (Katy) and Preston Wilson (Argyle) - are on the radar for Herb Hand in 2019. I expect UT to make more of a push for the two o-linemen.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-monday-july-16th/

Last week, Texas linebacker target, Maninoa Tufono, cut his list to five and Texas made the cut.

This was a big cut to make for Texas, as these are the five schools expected to receive official visits from Tufono.

As of today, I would say Texas is likely on the back end of the top five with Washington and USC likely leading the way. But Tufono did take an unofficial visit to Texas about a month ago, and he told me it really opened his eyes in regards to the program. Texas recruiting assistant Jake Langi has been an x-factor in helping the Longhorns in this recruitment.

Tufono is a top target at LB for Texas. They already hold a commitment from one out of state LB in Westlake (CA) De’Gabriel Floyd. Some of the other main targets at LB are Wekiva (FL) Rian Davis, Cinco Ranch (TX) David Gbenda, Trinity Catholic (MO) Shammond Cooper, and the Longhorn staff is going to keep recruiting Marcus (TX) LSU commit Marcel Brooks. – (Andrew)

2019 WIDE RECEIVER CLASS THOUGHTS

As most saw, earlier this month, Millwood (OK) WR Demariyon Houston announced his commitment to Texas

Houston is the third wide receiver commit in Texas’ 2019 class. He goes along with Cuero (TX) Jordan Whittington and Notre Dame Prep (AZ) Jake Smith. I feel like Texas is likely only going to take four WRs in the 2019 class. So there is a bit of a numbers crunch right now.

Going into Houston’s commitment, some thought he was going to commit to Oklahoma State and that Texas wasn’t going to take him. Mostly because guys like Dylan Wright, Elijah Higgins, and Marcus Washington are still uncommitted. I think Texas made the right move by taking Houston right now. As he could play outside or in the slot at Texas and has legit 10.7 100m speed.

Now, who is going to fill Texas’ final WR spot? The most likely choice, and he also happens to be my #1 choice out of the uncommitted WR’s in Texas is West Mesquite (TX) Dylan Wright. It’s likely going to be a Texas-Texas A&M battle for Wright. And the Longhorns staff has had the stronger relationship with Wright for a longer time. And if the offense looks better in 2018, I think they land him.

Texas is still in it for Elijah Higgins, who seems to be struggling to decide from a list of schools like Florida to Stanford to Ohio State to Texas. So I think he’ll likely push his commitment date back, which would be good news for Texas. Right now he wants to make a decision before the start of the season.

Marcus Washington is another guy who wanted to commit before the season, but he told us at The Opening that he was likely going to push that back. So he could take some other official visits, including one to Texas. If Washington commits before the season, Ohio State will very likely be the pick.

Texas also offered some under the radar WR recruits from Texas back in late May. Round Rock (TX) Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis and Midlothian Heritage (TX) Langston Anderson were the two that were offered. With Texas landing Demariyon Houston and if they only plan to take four WR’s in 2019, Ellis/Anderson are off the table IMO unless something goes wrong and Texas misses on the three guys I mentioned above. – (Andrew)

2019 4-STAR DB NOA POLA-GATES VISITING TEXAS
First published on Texas Donor Site @3:16 PM on 7/13/18

Arizona DB Noa Pola-Gates will be visiting Texas on July 28th. While he wants to play CB in college he projects better at safety. Texas has offered him to play CB.

The thing that Pola-Gates is looking for in a program is one that can bring him a national championship and the ability to produce music… But mostly getting a to hold the trophy is what drives him. Therefore, it seems pretty obvious why Alabama is a leader here. However, it seems he’s starting to broaden his horizons. He realizes he has an opportunity to win big at Penn State, USC, and Texas. If the coaches can convince him they’ll win a national championship it seems Texas could do pretty well here. – (Will)

JULY 27th VISITORS

– There are quite a few people making it into Austin for the 27th of July. Of those there will definitely be quite a few Texas commits like WR Jake Smith, CB Marques Caldwell, LB De’Gabriel Floyd, and likely others.

– Another attendee will be 2020 WR Troy Omeire. I’ve said it here before, but I’ve had college coaches tell me that a sophomore in high school should be that well built yet. He’s an exciting prospect who the coaches are very interested in.

– Cibolo Steele 2020 CB Jaylon Jones will also be visiting Austin that weekend. He’s built like this staff constructed him in a lab. Florida and Ohio State are also threats here.

– As we find out more, we’ll compile a list of people visiting. Should be a big weekend.

– One note, there are reports out there that WR Marcus Washington is expected in Austin that weekend. We’ve been told by two sources on both sides that Washington will not be visiting Texas until the season. – (Will)

STACEY WILKINS MOVES HIS DECISION DATE UP

2019 OT, Stacey Wilkins (Camden, AR) was originally scheduled to announce a decision this fall. He has announced, however, that he will announce sometime this summer.

Stacey Wilkins will be taking his official visit to Arkansas later this month and to Texas for the USC game, but we do not feel very good about Texas’ chances here.

In fact, it’s probably safe to say that if he makes an announcement this summer, it won’t be Texas. – (Will)

DAVID GBENDA COMMITMENT TIMELINE

Yesterday, 2019 4-star LB, David Gbenda dropped his top ten. Not surprisingly Texas made the cut…

Gbenda says he plans to cut the list down to five and then take his official visits.

He tells me the current plan is to commit sometime during the season but no date is set just yet. Gbenda has been to a Texas on multiple occasions and I have little doubt they will be in the top five when that list comes. – (Super K)

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-monday-july-16th/

Reveal hidden contents

Last week, Texas linebacker target, Maninoa Tufono, cut his list to five and Texas made the cut.

This was a big cut to make for Texas, as these are the five schools expected to receive official visits from Tufono.

As of today, I would say Texas is likely on the back end of the top five with Washington and USC likely leading the way. But Tufono did take an unofficial visit to Texas about a month ago, and he told me it really opened his eyes in regards to the program. Texas recruiting assistant Jake Langi has been an x-factor in helping the Longhorns in this recruitment.

Tufono is a top target at LB for Texas. They already hold a commitment from one out of state LB in Westlake (CA) De’Gabriel Floyd. Some of the other main targets at LB are Wekiva (FL) Rian Davis, Cinco Ranch (TX) David Gbenda, Trinity Catholic (MO) Shammond Cooper, and the Longhorn staff is going to keep recruiting Marcus (TX) LSU commit Marcel Brooks. – (Andrew)

2019 WIDE RECEIVER CLASS THOUGHTS

As most saw, earlier this month, Millwood (OK) WR Demariyon Houston announced his commitment to Texas

Houston is the third wide receiver commit in Texas’ 2019 class. He goes along with Cuero (TX) Jordan Whittington and Notre Dame Prep (AZ) Jake Smith. I feel like Texas is likely only going to take four WRs in the 2019 class. So there is a bit of a numbers crunch right now.

Going into Houston’s commitment, some thought he was going to commit to Oklahoma State and that Texas wasn’t going to take him. Mostly because guys like Dylan Wright, Elijah Higgins, and Marcus Washington are still uncommitted. I think Texas made the right move by taking Houston right now. As he could play outside or in the slot at Texas and has legit 10.7 100m speed.

Now, who is going to fill Texas’ final WR spot? The most likely choice, and he also happens to be my #1 choice out of the uncommitted WR’s in Texas is West Mesquite (TX) Dylan Wright. It’s likely going to be a Texas-Texas A&M battle for Wright. And the Longhorns staff has had the stronger relationship with Wright for a longer time. And if the offense looks better in 2018, I think they land him.

Texas is still in it for Elijah Higgins, who seems to be struggling to decide from a list of schools like Florida to Stanford to Ohio State to Texas. So I think he’ll likely push his commitment date back, which would be good news for Texas. Right now he wants to make a decision before the start of the season.

Marcus Washington is another guy who wanted to commit before the season, but he told us at The Opening that he was likely going to push that back. So he could take some other official visits, including one to Texas. If Washington commits before the season, Ohio State will very likely be the pick.

Texas also offered some under the radar WR recruits from Texas back in late May. Round Rock (TX) Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis and Midlothian Heritage (TX) Langston Anderson were the two that were offered. With Texas landing Demariyon Houston and if they only plan to take four WR’s in 2019, Ellis/Anderson are off the table IMO unless something goes wrong and Texas misses on the three guys I mentioned above. – (Andrew)

2019 4-STAR DB NOA POLA-GATES VISITING TEXAS
First published on Texas Donor Site @3:16 PM on 7/13/18

Arizona DB Noa Pola-Gates will be visiting Texas on July 28th. While he wants to play CB in college he projects better at safety. Texas has offered him to play CB.

The thing that Pola-Gates is looking for in a program is one that can bring him a national championship and the ability to produce music… But mostly getting a to hold the trophy is what drives him. Therefore, it seems pretty obvious why Alabama is a leader here. However, it seems he’s starting to broaden his horizons. He realizes he has an opportunity to win big at Penn State, USC, and Texas. If the coaches can convince him they’ll win a national championship it seems Texas could do pretty well here. – (Will)

JULY 27th VISITORS

– There are quite a few people making it into Austin for the 27th of July. Of those there will definitely be quite a few Texas commits like WR Jake Smith, CB Marques Caldwell, LB De’Gabriel Floyd, and likely others.

– Another attendee will be 2020 WR Troy Omeire. I’ve said it here before, but I’ve had college coaches tell me that a sophomore in high school should be that well built yet. He’s an exciting prospect who the coaches are very interested in.

– Cibolo Steele 2020 CB Jaylon Jones will also be visiting Austin that weekend. He’s built like this staff constructed him in a lab. Florida and Ohio State are also threats here.

– As we find out more, we’ll compile a list of people visiting. Should be a big weekend.

– One note, there are reports out there that WR Marcus Washington is expected in Austin that weekend. We’ve been told by two sources on both sides that Washington will not be visiting Texas until the season. – (Will)

STACEY WILKINS MOVES HIS DECISION DATE UP

2019 OT, Stacey Wilkins (Camden, AR) was originally scheduled to announce a decision this fall. He has announced, however, that he will announce sometime this summer.

Stacey Wilkins will be taking his official visit to Arkansas later this month and to Texas for the USC game, but we do not feel very good about Texas’ chances here.

In fact, it’s probably safe to say that if he makes an announcement this summer, it won’t be Texas. – (Will)

DAVID GBENDA COMMITMENT TIMELINE

Yesterday, 2019 4-star LB, David Gbenda dropped his top ten. Not surprisingly Texas made the cut…

Gbenda says he plans to cut the list down to five and then take his official visits.

He tells me the current plan is to commit sometime during the season but no date is set just yet. Gbenda has been to a Texas on multiple occasions and I have little doubt they will be in the top five when that list comes. – (Super K)

Why does he think that Texas is only taking four WRs?

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

Because we are getting McCoy and Tongue as additional wide receivers but he is counting them as linebackers.

McCoy is unlikely 

I think it's just as likely we take five + Tongue as four + Tongue 

9 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

McCoy is unlikely, but I will wait until after the USC game to write him off completely. We beat USC, and he has a great official visit, and our chances go up.

I doubt that matters all that much for purposes of recruiting someone favoring the losing school.  A competitor could just as easily think that he could come in and help fix things.

12 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

I doubt that matters all that much for purposes of recruiting someone favoring the losing school.  A competitor could just as easily think that he could come in and help fix things.

Normally I'd agree. But this game will definitely matter. It will be a packed house, great atmosphere, and if Texas wins, the national perception goes way up. 

• Like 1