Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Joe Cook: Herman expands on Jamison’s position change, player’s position preference in recruiting

http://insidetexas.com/herman-expands-on-jamisons-position-change-players-position-preference-in-recruiting/

Hide contents

Every college coach in any sport, Texas head coach Tom Herman included, knows that recruiting is the lifeblood of the program. In order to recruit well, coaches need to often tell players what they want to hear.

Earlier in his recruitment in a since-deleted tweet, Texas freshman D’Shawn Jamison stated he wanted to be used in college like former Michigan Wolverine and current Cleveland Brown Jabrill Peppers. In the early stages of his Texas career, Jamison might get that wish.

In the official 2018 media guide and on the roster on the official athletics website, the class of 2018 member from Houston Lamar is listed as a wide receiver, confirming Inside Texas’ previous reporting. His Twitter profile reads that he is both a wide receiver and a defensive back at Texas, a role similar to that of Peppers.

In his final two seasons in Ann Arbor, Peppers amassed 111 total tackles, 18.5 of them for loss, three sacks and an interception. In addition, he rushed for five touchdowns and averaged 13.1 yards per punt return and 26.8 yards per kick return.

Though Jamison might not work between the tackles, Herman assured him the opportunity to both try and score and prevent scoring.

“He’s going to play both this year,” Herman said Tuesday at Big 12 Media Days. “He’s been working at both throughout the offseason. He’s been doing drills with both the slot receivers and the DBs. We certainly plan to use him on offense, but I think it’s more of a stop-gap.”

Jamison’s high school highlights are full of kick and punt returns for touchdowns, so putting the ball in his hands makes sense. It also makes sense for the Longhorns, as there is a need at the slot receiver position following the departure of Reggie Hemphill-Mapps. Though junior Lil’Jordan Humphrey is set to have a big year, those behind him on the depth chart are unproven.

“We approached D’Shawn and said ‘hey, we’ve got a need for some dynamism at that slot receiver position, and you certainly have it. The DB room is pretty packed this year, not to say that you can’t crack into it, but we’d like for you to at least get some work at slot receiver and see how it goes,’” Herman said. “By all accounts, he’s having a pretty good offseason.”

Being able to bring this account to star prospects on the recruiting trail is a nice feather for Herman to have in his cap. Currently, two of Texas’ top 2019 targets, Bru McCoy of Mater Dei (Calif.) and Makiya Tongue of University Lab (La.), have aspirations of playing a different position than what the Longhorn coaches would prefer them to play at.

According to Herman, he leaves that choice up to the players.

“You come into our program, and you can play whatever you want to play,” Herman said. “You look at the depth chart and say ‘I want to play this,’ and usually it always works itself out.”

Herman noted just because a player is in his preferred position does not mean he is guaranteed playing time. In his example, he said that a player who comes in as a linebacker but who his staff prefers at defensive end will get every opportunity to play linebacker.

“Usually by the second or third week, knock, knock, knock on coach’s door,” Herman said. “‘Hey coach, I’m the fourth string linebacker, I think I could be the second string defensive end. Do you think I could move to defense?’”

Those decisions normally work themselves out, but Herman knows it has to take place organically. As soon as it’s forced, it becomes an issue.

“It’s always the young man’s decision,” Herman said. “If it’s not, you’re not getting a full buy-in.”

Judging by Jamison’s Twitter bio and Inside Texas’ previous reporting, the buy-in, in this case, is there.

#Crootin'

Herman has explicitly stated that players get to start where THEY choose.  You want to try LB even though we like you better at DE?  WR over CB?  OK.  He's said it works itself out after they're 4th string somewhere but could jump up to 2nd string at a different spot.

BTW, there are 9 CBs currently on our roster in front of him: Bonney, Boyd, Davis, Cuffee, Duvernay, Thompson, Boyce, Cook and Green.

Keep up the ignorance and lies though, aggys.  It's what you do.

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 3

Just now, Scholz said:

Herman has explicitly stated that players get to start where THEY choose.  You want to try LB even though we like you better at DE?  WR over CB?  OK.  He's said it works itself out after they're 4th string somewhere but could jump up to 2nd string at a different spot.

Keep up the ignorance and lies though, aggys.  It's what you do.

OTOH, Jamison has very good return skills. I don't know anything about his receiving skills, but if he can catch he should be pretty lethal with the ball in his hands.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

This shit is so fucking stupid. Real practice hasn't even started yet, yet aggy thinks we are setting our depth charts in July. 

RHM’s departure  created a slot opening that wasn’t there during Jamison’s recruitment. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

RHM’s departure  created a slot opening that wasn’t there during Jamison’s recruitment. 

Yep, and once Bonney, Davis, and Cuffee leave, and Jake Smith rolls into town, D'shawn will move right back.

Ha, forgot the best one, Boyd.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

So this new fair-catch rule on kickoffs basically eliminates KO returns, and eliminates the possibility to pin a team deep (unless RHM is the KO returner, i.e. brain farts)? Everybody gets the ball on the 25, no matter what? What will the new strategies be on kickoffs? More squib kicks?  

9 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

So this new fair-catch rule on kickoffs basically eliminates KO returns, and eliminates the possibility to pin a team deep (unless RHM is the KO returner, i.e. brain farts)? Everybody gets the ball on the 25, no matter what? What will the new strategies be on kickoffs? More squib kicks?  

Pooch kicks just inside the 10 and dare them to not call the fair catch 

20 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Guess we’ll never get punted to. Defense must suck!

I loved kickoff return but hated punt return. It fucking sucks to be looking up for the ball and get pummeled by a guy running full speed.

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for key DL target

— I had a chance to catch up with JUCO defensive end Jacoby Jones today, and he told me North Carolina State and Texas are the two schools recruiting him the hardest. Jones already used his OV to NC State, and Texas will receive one in the fall/winter. I feel like the Longhorns can do enough to get him on board based on our conversation, so I put in a Crystal Ball pick. He loved his unofficial visit in the spring and has a great relationship with the staff. I will have more from him later in the week.

— Texas hosted JUCO defensive end Kuony Deng for an unofficial visit last month, and the Longhorns are working to get him back on campus for another visit on July 27. Deng does not have an offer from Texas at this time, but he is firmly on the radar, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see one go his way in the future. Right now, he is a maybe to make it to campus next weekend.

— Four-star Camden Fairview (Ark.) offensive lineman Stacey Wilkins is set to make his decision on August 3. Wilkins did have a productive conversation with UT offensive line coach Herb Hand last week, and staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties, has also been involved in this recruitment. However, we still have reason to believe Oklahoma has the edge in this recruitment. Unless Texas can get him back on campus right after the dead period, we just don’t have much optimism.

— Four-star 2020 Newton defensive lineman James Sylvester posted some photos of him rocking Texas gear a few days ago. I checked in with Sylvester, and he hasn’t heard much from the Longhorns of late. Sylvester, however, is interested in Texas and is patiently waiting for an offer to go his way.

E.J. Holland: Texas still an option for five-star DL Ishmael Sopsher

Texas is still looking for more defensive linemen this cycle. The Longhorns already hold two commitments upfront but are swinging for the fences with elite level prospects, including five-star Amite (La.) product Ishmael Sopsher. Alabama and LSU are considered the two frontrunners, but Sospher made it clear that he is still weighing his options. “Everybody is the same to me,” Sopsher said. “I treat everybody the same. I try to give everyone a fair shake. Really, LSU, Alabama, normal schools really are coming at me the hardest. (The recruiting process) has been a blessing, can't take that away from it. It's been a learning experience and taught me how to grow faster and to make smart decisions.”

Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles has been continuing to work hard on Sopsher and is hoping to make more headway heading into the fall. “Texas has been contacting me almost every day,” Sopsher said. “Coach Giles likes my playing style. He said he could show me some things and get me a little better. I just like how he goes out there with his players every day.” Sopsher, who plans to cut his list at the end of the month, has yet to make a visit to Texas, but he may make his way down to Austin in the fall. At 6-foot-3, 334 pounds, Sopsher is ranked as the No. 1 defensive tackle and No. 5 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Billy Embody contributed to this report.

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Texas still an option for five-star DL Ishmael Sopsher

Hide contents

Texas is still looking for more defensive linemen this cycle. The Longhorns already hold two commitments upfront but are swinging for the fences with elite level prospects, including five-star Amite (La.) product Ishmael Sopsher. Alabama and LSU are considered the two frontrunners, but Sospher made it clear that he is still weighing his options. “Everybody is the same to me,” Sopsher said. “I treat everybody the same. I try to give everyone a fair shake. Really, LSU, Alabama, normal schools really are coming at me the hardest. (The recruiting process) has been a blessing, can't take that away from it. It's been a learning experience and taught me how to grow faster and to make smart decisions.”

Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles has been continuing to work hard on Sopsher and is hoping to make more headway heading into the fall. “Texas has been contacting me almost every day,” Sopsher said. “Coach Giles likes my playing style. He said he could show me some things and get me a little better. I just like how he goes out there with his players every day.” Sopsher, who plans to cut his list at the end of the month, has yet to make a visit to Texas, but he may make his way down to Austin in the fall. At 6-foot-3, 334 pounds, Sopsher is ranked as the No. 1 defensive tackle and No. 5 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Billy Embody contributed to this report.

Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles has been continuing to work hard on Sopsher and is hoping to make more headway heading into the fall.

We got this.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

What the hell does a polynesian tie look like and how the fuck am I supposed to know if it's strong?

Its what all Samoan dads get for Christmas. Of course it’s strong. Mele Kalikimaka, motherfucker.

il_fullxfull.1510820916_5zmu.jpg

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I am amped for Jake Smith and think he's gonna be a stud here.  But LOL at that tweet saying "get deep" on a vid of a dude not even hitting parallel on a squat.

I also noticed that Jake's forearms do not seem to be elite. He may miss his 5th star because of it. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-wednesday-july-18th/

2019 4-STAR LB RIAN DAVIS | COMMITMENT TIMELINE
– Super K

2019 Texas LB target, Rian Davis (Apopka, FL), thought he might be ready to announce a commitment this summer. Davis has already taken official visits to Texas, Alabama and Louisville.

Earlier this week, he let me know that he has decided to go ahead and wait until the season to make an announcement. I’d expect something around the third game of the season.

You’ll recall Davis used to live in the state of TX and has been on campus multiple times. We’ll do some digging to see how high the list Texas is but based on the current information, we suspect they’re up there.

Davis is in Houston for the summer staying with family. However, he will be heading back to Florida on the 24th which is a few days before the Texas will host a number of recruits (July 27th). As such, he says he won’t be able to squeeze in a last minute visit.

MARCUS WASHINGTON ANNOUNCES COMMITMENT DATE
– Super K

It appears Marcus Washington has once again reset his commitment date back to this summer.

As Will recently noted, we do not anticipate Washington making it to campus before August 7th. He is scheduled to take his official visit to Texas for the USC game.

We are working to confirm with Marcus if that visit will happen irrespective of his August 7th decision.

Obviously, if he announces on August 7th without having visited Texas, we do not expect his choice to be Texas. If they get him on campus though, call me crazy but I bet they either flip him or make it very very interesting.

***Since this note was originally posted on the donor board I have had a chance to speak with some folks around Washington. I hope to have a full update up later in the week but I will simply say that, I’d be a bit surprised if Washington sticks with this newly announced commitment timeline.

To much aggie opinions posted on this thread.
As Super Bill Bradley once said. "It don't make a shit"
And both aggy and froggy are ignoring the fact Jamison wanted to go both ways from the very beginning. It was discussed even when he was uncommitted...
  • Like 1