New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, Fud said:

No Guadalapana, Laredo Taqueria, Brothers Tacos, or La Mexicana. Pinche vatos. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/2024/best-mexican-restaurants-houston/

We need the copy pasta.

Agreed your 4 should have made the list. The bacon wrapped quail at Guad is the best thing I’ve eaten in months if not years. 

• 1 month later...

Bagel Power Rankings:

1) Hot Bagel

2) Bob’s Bagels

3) NY Deli

4) Kenny & Ziggy’s

5) Lazy Bagel

Hot Bagel is alway terrific. Good coffee. Parking lot is a war zone.  I’d suggest parking at Red Lion and grabbing a beer afterward. 

Bob’s is also great, but it can’t touch Hot Bagel. Also has good coffee.

NY Deli is good, but the quality is slipping some. I like that’s a full restaurant. Pastrami is pretty good and inexpensive.

Kenny & Ziggy’s has good bagels and schemers, but they hide it on their menu. The new location doesn’t seem very interested in selling bagels. 

Lazy Bagel could easily be third on my list if not for a prohibitive menu. No poppy seed or sesame seed bagels. No chive or lox schmears. It’s a pretty straightforward everything bagel with a plain cream cheese schmear. It’s consistent, good, and the location is very convenient. Better yet they’re never busy. 

PS: NoPo serves a pretty mean bacon and egg on a roll. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 3/24/2024 at 11:48 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

NY Deli is good, but the quality is slipping some. I like that’s a full restaurant. Pastrami is pretty good and inexpensive.

The NY Bagel Shop and adjacent deli were bought by a catering company 5 years ago.  One of the two original partners retired at the time of sale, and the other about two years later.  The bagel quality has suffered, but remains the best option in the Hebrew hood.

• Hook 'Em 1

A small group of us have 4 reservations for Friday night and I'm trying to decide which one is the most interesting at this moment in time. None of these are new but they're all nice and that's as much this thread as anything. Anybody got a strong opinion? It's for 2 couples:

-Coppa

-Pappa's Steakhouse

-BCN

-DaMarco

We've all been to all of these before.

Out of those I would choose BCN. DaMarco felt stale and boring last time I went there and the food wasn't good enough to help that. I go to Coppa a once a week, I'd save that for a night with kids in tow. I've only been to Pappa's Steakhouse downtown and thought it was fine for what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

BCN out of those four by a mile. Fucking love that place. You can swing a dead cat and hit a good steakhouse in this town. Da Marco would be my #2. Coppa is good for a business lunch, but wouldn’t put it high on my list for a nice night out.

• Hook 'Em 1

While I have been to steakhouses all over, fortunately, in my travels for work and pleasure, I still think Pappa’s on Westheimer ranks as high as any of them. So that’s why they were in the list, I guess. 

Anyway, I think we’re doing Da Marco. I wanted BCN since I haven’t been since last year but the other female doesn’t like spanish food. 

Agreed on Coppa being a place I can, and do, go to regularly. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

While I have been to steakhouses all over, fortunately, in my travels for work and pleasure, I still think Pappa’s on Westheimer ranks as high as any of them. So that’s why they were in the list, I guess. 

Anyway, I think we’re doing Da Marco. I wanted BCN since I haven’t been since last year but the other female doesn’t like spanish food. 

Agreed on Coppa being a place I can, and do, go to regularly. 

The good thing about Da Marco is that no matter what, they have that Risotto. 

Went to Pizzana today for lunch. Just opened this week at River Oaks Shopping Center. Enjoyed it greatly. We had the fried cauliflower and shaved Brussels sprouts to start. Both were excellent. The cauliflower was perfectly fried and the aioli it comes with is delicious. The carmelized shallot vinaigrette on the Brussels was awesome. Tried three pizzas: Margherita al crudo, diavolo and vodka. All three were very tasty. Diavolo may have been my favorite for its mix of spicy and slightly sweet.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, royiv said:

Went to Pizzana today for lunch. Just opened this week at River Oaks Shopping Center. Enjoyed it greatly. We had the fried cauliflower and shaved Brussels sprouts to start. Both were excellent. The cauliflower was perfectly fried and the aioli it comes with is delicious. The carmelized shallot vinaigrette on the Brussels was awesome. Tried three pizzas: Margherita al crudo, diavolo and vodka. All three were very tasty. Diavolo may have been my favorite for its mix of spicy and slightly sweet.

Had it earlier this week. Their pizza is top 5 in town, maybe top 3. Badass pie

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Going to Bar Bludorn tonight. I will have drinks and food. 

I've been to Bludorn twice and the results were the same - the food was solid but super overpriced. I'm wondering if Bar Bludorn is any different. My view of Bludorn is that I can go elsewhere for similar vibe and food and pay 2/3's of what I'd pay at Bludorn, therefore feeling like less of an idiot.

7 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Needed a last minute reservation on Easter.  Went to Hudson House on West Gray.  Was just average.

But did you have "the coldest martini on earth"? 4 of us went there in December and enjoyed it, but it wasn't a place where we said "man, we have to go back".

11 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Needed a last minute reservation on Easter.  Went to Hudson House on West Gray.  Was just average.

Went to the Aquarium. Mostly mediocre buffet food, but there was a prime rib station that was quaffable. Kids looked at fish and road a carousel and ferris wheel 

I guess "early in the week" competition is really heating up. Has anyone else noticed tons of Taco Tuesdays/Steak Nights/Half Price Fajitas popping up lately? Seems like every other post in Heights Foodies group is about a new Tuesday or Wednesday night special. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 1:08 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Too 5 most overrated spots in houston

1) Bludorn

2) Any El Tiempo 

3) March

4) Navy Blue

5) Vinnys Pizza (so overpriced and shitty)

el tiempo has been bad for awhile. no idea how they stay open with their prices and low quality food 

don carlos or el jardin are down the road, and much better (1/2 the price)

Edited by tx 3 putt

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

el tiempo has been bad for awhile. no idea how they stay open with their prices and low quality food 

don carlos or el jardin are down the road, and much better (1/2 the price)

I don’t know to feel about El T. They could sell margaritas and tacos at the Juice Box and NRG and continue to exist forever. 

I’ve had so many good meals at the Washington and Gessner locations. One of the few places with pork fajitas and brisket crunchy tacos. I agree their prices are insane. I remember paying $15 take out fees during Covid, and becoming deeply bitter. But I still remember carne asada + 2 rita lunches for like $30 back in the day. 

I think Los Tios is the same quality and much cheaper. They have $10 lunch specials. Happy Hour ritas are like 5 bucks. 

I think we’d all be wise to stop ordering fajitas and go back to the old school combo plates at little neighborhood places. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t know to feel about El T. They could sell margaritas and tacos at the Juice Box and NRG and continue to exist forever. 

I’ve had so many good meals at the Washington and Gessner locations. One of the few places with pork fajitas and brisket crunchy tacos. I agree their prices are insane. I remember paying $15 take out fees during Covid, and becoming deeply bitter. But I still remember carne asada + 2 rita lunches for like $30 back in the day. 

I think Los Tios is the same quality and much cheaper. They have $10 lunch specials. Happy Hour ritas are like 5 bucks. 

I think we’d all be wise to stop ordering fajitas and go back to the old school combo plates at little neighborhood places. 

my last lunch at los tios, it was much better than el tiempo fajitas 

much cheaper too

On 4/3/2024 at 2:04 PM, Js1 said:

But it’s true 

We used to go to the El Tiempo on Richmond probably 2 times a month for Sunday lunch.  I have not been there in at least 5 years.  Too expensive and the food went downhill.  The beef fajitas the last couple times I went tasted like lighter fluid.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

my last lunch at los tios, it was much better than el tiempo fajitas 

much cheaper too

We go to Los Tios now also.

And Escalante's chicken fajitas are a carryout staple.  I can feed the four of us and have leftovers for around $40.

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

We go to Los Tios now also.

And Escalante's chicken fajitas are a carryout staple.  I can feed the four of us and have leftovers for around $40.

Okay, hit the fucking brakes, guys. Gross Tios and El Tiempo are nowhere near the same tier in terms of quality. You’re getting old and, even if well monied, incorporating costs into your view on the taste experience. 

Also, I work near the Galleria and the new El Tiempo down Westheimer is a great place to easily meet someone for lunch, in no small part because 90% of the tables and booths are unoccupied. I don’t know how that place stays open. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Old school combo plates are my go-to

I still love El Tiempo, and I haven't noticed a drop off in quality. Of course, every time I go I'm getting the chicken fajitas. And those sure as hell haven't changed as far as I can tell. Also, costco sells $100 in El Tiempo gift cards for 75, sometimes 65 dollars. I usually grab that every couple months, and yeeah, the wednesday night special is great.

Pappasitos always gets ignored by many, probably becuase it's also deemed pricey, but their chicken fajitas blows away damn near everyone except El Tiempo, maybe. Their salsa is fucking great. The only gripe I have is that they're the most likely mexican place I go to get at least 1-2 giant clumps if inedible chip clusters where it's 15 chips glued together. 

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I still love El Tiempo, and I haven't noticed a drop off in quality. Of course, every time I go I'm getting the chicken fajitas. And those sure as hell haven't changed as far as I can tell. Also, costco sells $100 in El Tiempo gift cards for 75, sometimes 65 dollars. I usually grab that every couple months, and yeeah, the wednesday night special is great.

Pappasitos always gets ignored by many, probably becuase it's also deemed pricey, but their chicken fajitas blows away damn near everyone except El Tiempo, maybe. Their salsa is fucking great. The only gripe I have is that they're the most likely mexican place I go to get at least 1-2 giant clumps if inedible chip clusters where it's 15 chips glued together. 

As a proud Pappasito’s alum, I still love it. They have kept their standards on quality for 41 years irrespective of location. Other places do things better and other styles might be preferred, but if I default to texmex, it’s Sito’s. 

My view is that damned near of the places named are all places I wouldn’t argue about going to for a meet-up. 

4 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Candente fajitas are the best available right now. Queso, salsa and chips as well are better than the usual spots. How was Bar Bludorn @Fud?

It was fine. A couple of the seemingly more popular items were out (the beignets and tar tar), some of the items were great, some were forgettable. The whiskey list isn't nearly as robust as OG Bludorn's. It's a nice option if you live right there (my friends who we met live less than five minutes away). Great service.

If you're a foodie and have the means, it's at least worth trying for yourself, but I wouldn't break my back trying to get there asap 

• Hook 'Em 1

I view all of the high end tex mex joints as more or less being similar in quality. All of them serve delicious but expensive beef fajitas or tacos al carbon 

If it's up to me, I'm opting for cheaper places where the food is still enjoyable but for 40-60% of the price, but frequently it's not up to me

My favorite dish among all of the places is the three pepper cheesesteak at Lupe

Last Saturday night went down the road to Blue Agave for the first time, and that was a good place for kids to run around with minimal babysitting while I could bullshit with friends, even if the food was forgettable 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

El Tiempo sucks and I'll happily die on that hill. Insanely overrated. I've eaten at Los Tios exactly once (Meyerland location) and while it wasn't bad exactly, it reminded me of every single strip mall Tex-Mex joint in the world circa 1994. Scratches the nostalgia itch I guess but I'm not sure why it's so popular in my 'hood. I used to be a big Ninfa's advocate (Galleria location, ain't nobody got time to go all the way to the OG), but I think it has slipped some. We still hit it on occasion when we want to feel classy. Our everyday go-to is Escalante's. Always solid if not exactly remarkable. Whoever mentioned combo plates is spot on. Hit me with a fucking Tampiquena and I'm a happy camper.

Haven't had Bludorn but Navy Blue was scrong the one time I've been. Pricey I guess, but you should probably know what you're getting yourself into.

Hope @GreenspointTexas is wrong about March. Someone just gave us a big fat gift card to it.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

What the hell is chicken fajitas? And people actually order that?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We talking chicken fajitas or beef? Looks like $60 for large beef fajitas. 

I pretty much stick to chicken these days.  So chicken.  I think they are $45 for a pound of fajitas plus all the sides, rice, beans, chips and salsa. Escalante's on Westheimer is so close to my house, so we go a lot.

The last couple times I had beef fajitas at the El Tiempo on Richmond, which was our spot, it tasted like they did not let the lighter fluid burn off before they threw the meat on.  It pains me to say that, because it was our staple after church lunch for about a decade.  When my kids were little it was so convenient.  The service was always lightning fast and the food was good.  Maybe I need to go back.

For me, Los Tios is a place to get cheese enchiladas.  I had their grilled quail recently and it was outstanding.  Their food is not the same as what I grew up on since Adair acquired them, they had added higher end ingredients.  20 years ago you would never order fajitas from there. Their Super Mex bowl is also good if you want something healthy.

Candente is also pretty good.  Have been there a couple times now.

Mi Cocina is fine.  I do like their chips and salsa.

OG Ninfa's and the one on San Felipe are still strong.

I still love Pappasitos.  But for some reason my wife does not.  So we never go.

I used to love El Real cheese enchiladas.  They were probably the best in the city of the places I frequented.

• Hook 'Em 2

Los Tios is fine. Its very “small town tex mex spot” feel and quality.

Lupe is the best texmex chain for the price. Fite me. Pappasitos is the best overall chain, but a tad more expensive than Lupe. Chuys used to be good but the last two times ive been to the one on Westheimer, it was meh. All the places in the heights are similar quality, minus Superica

Ninfas on navigation is still the best TexMex joint in the state

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Beef fajitas at Alma are my go-to, probably heading up there for lunch

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

fuuuuuuck i might follow you

if you see, pretend like you don’t know me

Alma's is fire. And it's great to support local. Not a huge fan of their salsa, however, but that's never stopped me. 

Lupe Tortilla is fucking trash. 

• Hook 'Em 2