Two A&M Commerce players shot on Spring Break in Miami

Dennis Taylor

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article228106309.html

Two Texas A&M University-Commerce football players, who were in Miami over the weekend for spring break, were robbed at gunpoint and shot, Miami police confirmed Monday.

The two young men, whom police did not identify, were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital in stable condition after being wounded just before 5:30 a.m. Saturday. Police did not say where the shooting happened.

On Sunday, Colby Carthel, the former coach of the university’s football team, sent his best to the students.

“Please lift up prayers for Jay Bias and Xavier Morris, two former players of mine who were needlessly robbed and shot while on Spring Break,” he tweeted. “They’re two fantastic young men, who sure didn’t deserve this senseless act.”

The university said Head Football Coach David Bailiff and Director of Athletics Tim McMurray were heading to South Florida “to be with the students and their families.”

On Monday, the university’s athletics program released a joint statement from the Bias and Morris families: “Our families are so grateful for the outpouring of support and prayers that continue for Jay and Xavier. As they continue their remarkable progress and recovery from this unthinkable act of violence, we ask everyone to please respect our families and our focus on their support and recovery, as they are both clinically stable.”

The athletics program said Monday it “will continue to focus on supporting the Bias and Morris families and all those associated with this horrific incident.” In order to help with expenses, it worked with the Lone Star Conference and the NCAA to create a GoFundMe page.

14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I'm guessing they were trying to score some Miami Magic and got shot and robbed

Friend of mine got mugged at gunpoint in broad daylight near the Wynwood Walls, when he was emphatically not trying to buy drugs. That city's got some dark neighborhoods right around the tourist stuff.

46 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yup. But it could be they were drunk and wandering the wrong area, that shit happens in New Orleans to people all the time. 

pretty strong move by their athletics department for the coach and AD to both head there to see the players

It would be easy to think they were looking for something and found trouble, but Miami has shitty areas as was said before I sure as fuck would not go there for spring break because even the "safe" areas are going to be packed with idiots even if they are not violent criminal idiots

sadly most spring break places are pretty out of control these days because you have too many 25 to 35 year old perennial fucking losers that never set foot on a college campus on "spring break" there looking to start shit with their pack of fucking trash crew and today even bands of college kids can be pretty shitty as well and start shit and get extremely violent or do serious crimes

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

pretty strong move by their athletics department for the coach and AD to both head there to see the players

Carthel really got everyone at A&M-Commerce to buy into the program is a family and they bought in hard. That was why I was happy they got Bailiff to replace him. 

Edited by txbroadcaster
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Friend of mine got mugged at gunpoint in broad daylight near the Wynwood Walls, when he was emphatically not trying to buy drugs. That city's got some dark neighborhoods right around the tourist stuff.

Got a friend's family down that way and can confirm. Even told me to consider changing out of my Jamaal Charles icy white. It's about trying not to look like a tourist but I figured fuck it, not going to help with Texas tattoos. /csb

10 hours ago, Zavala said:

Yup. But it could be they were drunk and wandering the wrong area, that shit happens in New Orleans to people all the time. 

Same thing different city although a little different post Katrina with some people I know that moved to Houston. 

12 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

The Carthels are notorious for bringing in second chance / character issues kids.  Not saying this was the case with these two, but trouble seems to follow where that family coaches 

Probably one of those things, but I pulled into the driveway of my house in a nice part of Dallas and got robbed at gunpoint. Didn’t get shot, though.

I’d knock on wood after that post. In hindsight, I should’ve been shot in New Orleans twice, Seattle once, and probably five times in San Antonio.

I’ve lived in Houston now for upwards of 11 years, send prayers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

There are some rough pockets in that area.

Agreed. But this was in the late 90’s and I wasn’t in one of them. The police detectives that came by to interview us on follow up a few days after it happened speculated we were followed home after dinner over on Greenville. I wasn’t sure how seriously to take those jackasses though - one of them fell asleep on my couch during the interview.

Probably one of those things, but I pulled into the driveway of my house in a nice part of Dallas and got robbed at gunpoint. Didn’t get shot, though.
Right after I moved to Sofla in 2001 a nice jewish mom pulled into her driveway in Miami Beach in her minivan with her two kids in the back seat and somebody pulled in behind her, got out, shot her dead through the driver side window and drove off. They still havent found the murderer. Lovely place Sofla.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:50 PM, ButtFumble said:

As someone who graduated from TAMUC I’m not surprised that our AD, Tim McMurray and HC, David Bailiff, went to see them. The lion athletics department strives to create a best in class student athlete experience and we take that very seriously. 

We are Lions! Who are we? The ones that fight for old ET! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

As someone who graduated from TAMUC I’m not surprised that our AD, Tim McMurray and HC, David Bailiff, went to see them. The lion athletics department strives to create a best in class student athlete experience and we take that very seriously. 

We are Lions! Who are we? The ones that fight for old ET! 

over at flagship jumbo would have sent Candi to suck their dicks to help them get better....ok well really Candi would have done that on her own, but jumbo would have taken credit for it

• Haha 1