Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I also don’t think Jimbo or his staff give a fuck to be honest. They’re getting paid regardless and those guys know they’re not going to supplant Bama or LSU.  

Jimbo got his national championship. Like Mack, once he got it, he stopped giving a fuck. aggy is literally paying the man $75M to not give 2 fucks about actually winning at a high level. It's glorious to see from the outside, because those fuckers will never admit they got fleeced.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:29 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

This gem from Looch has some Jaylen Garth potential.

Still, losing him hurts, no two ways around it. He, Sanders (Texas), Shemar Turner and Jordon Thomas are the four SEC West caliber guys in state this year at the position. 

Patiently awaiting to hear Looch's response to this @Lobwedgephil

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What does this mean?

It's a tweet from 2018 when Jimbo kept Terry Price. Liucci tagged Oscar Giles insinuating that Terry Price was going to work Texas on the recruiting trail. 

That's 4 big recruiting wins now in 2 cycles (Broughton, Collins, Thomas and Sanders) so it's hilarious. 

• Like 3

Arroyo

Spoiler

Spoke to Elijah Arroyo

18,986 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by Liucci

Jason Howell

2:10p, 5/1/20 

Staff

I spoke with Frisco Independence TE Elijah Arroyo and the big news is he will take a virtual visit to Texas A&M today. Coach Coley is leading the Aggies' recruiting efforts. Arroyo is originally from Miami and moved to Texas at the age of 12 so the two have bonded over the ties to South Florida.

He named a top 10 of Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Miami, Arizona State, USC, Penn State, and SMU last Friday, and his relationships with the coaches were a big factor as he narrowed his list. 

He has taken virtual visits to Michigan State and Georgia so far. He does not have a definitive timeline for a decision at this time.

Jason Howell

In reply to bearkatag15 •  6:40p, 5/1/20 

Staff

bearkatag15 said:

Sounds like the virtual visit went well

lol, I'd say that's a positive sign.

Liucci

6:54p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

This one is interesting to me. TCU and LSU are still very much in play here. I wouldn't rule either of them out as being there pick.' I'll say this, if he's choosing the Ags, I don't get the vibe he's let them know it yet. 

Liucci

In reply to Rspring32 •  11:25p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

+ 1 more quotes (click to expand)

Rosy Goat said:

That's because Perroni knows his stuff while Looch and crew are just "protecting the brand" in order to not have their sideline passes stripped.

Rspring32 said:

It's like some of these people are just asking for a ban 

Woah, who invited this moron to the party? Quick ban. And for no reason besides talking out of his ass.

Liucci

11:31p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

...and since you're still reading Roxy Goat, let me just make this permaban really personal and tell you that I'll be showing you the door. One less person for us all to loathe around here.

Liucci

11:36p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

Really have no earthly idea why I said TCU in the OP. It's LSU or Miami as the primary contenders and I just personally am having a hard time envisioning a kid who grew up in Miami and who was able to see most of the SEC power programs during the spring and, because he was scheduled to visit during spring break, was unable to ever stop foot on the A&M campus to choose the Aggies. That would have to have been one hell of a virtual visit and it stinks because he's also never gotten to spend any real face-to-face time with James Coley. Again, I know what it looks like in terms of the timing but I don't think this one falls the Ags' way and never felt as confident as many did. It's too much, too soon to fall in the good guy's favor, IMO, and I haven't gotten anything to make me believe we're going to see the Frisco product stay in state.

Liucci

In reply to RGRAg1/75 •  11:46p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

RGRAg1/75 said:

Just did a quick scan of his 50 posts since joining Dec 2019. Surprised he made it this long. Clearly a sip troll. 

Sometimes these anonymous cowards fly under the radar. I've probably never seen one of his posts until today. Absolute loser. I just don't understand how people like him can act like they do and look at themselves in the mirror and have an self-respect or dignity. Pitiful and be glad you're not like these dregs.

Liucci

In reply to jickyjack1 •  12:25a, 5/2/20 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

Sometimes these anonymous cowards fly under the radar. I've probably never seen one of his posts until today. Absolute loser. I just don't understand how people like him can act like they do and look at themselves in the mirror and have an self-respect or dignity. Pitiful and be glad you're not like these dregs.

jickyjack1 said:

Aw hell, Billy. Take the gloves and tell it like you live.

One of the reasons to fight through some of the (surely it can't be all of them) maddening moderators around 
here is because the leader refuses to take any hockey, eschews political correctness and kicks ass when he thinks it warranted. I don't know . . . it makes you feel like that, despite the namby-pambys in the bushes, there's some steel at the top.

Post of the Day. Period.

Liucci

In reply to ruxin98 •  8:15a 

Staff

AG

ruxin98 said:

Confused... are we thinking we get this guy or no?

Not sure how you're confused if you've read my posts and aren't openly worried about conflicting information like Cooper is (which is getting incredibly tiresome). I don't expect the Ags to get him, no.

Liucci

In reply to Tegridy •  8:54a 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

Not sure how you're confused if you've read my posts and aren't openly worried about conflicting information like Cooper is (which is getting incredibly tiresome). I don't expect the Ags to get him, no.

Tegridy said:

Bummer. A lot can change once visits begin again. Everybody commits to the U early but not many stick.

I agree with you here.

Liucci

In reply to Bulldog73 •  8:57a 

Staff

AG

Bulldog73 said:

Because the first this Howell said responding to "the pick is in" tweet is that it sounds positive for us. Then your post is we're in final 3 along with intel on why the other two are competition & that Bright hasn't been told it's us (which is a semi regular occurrence). All of that information directly from staff does lead to confusion. 

Another example of one of the usual suspect's defending it. Look, I've been CRYSTAL clear here. Since my first post on it and have gotten clearer with each post after that as more and more info has become available. Believe what you want at this point, there's nothing more for me to add.

Liucci

In reply to ExtremeRush •  9:09a 

Staff

AG

ExtremeRush said:

I'm not challenging Liucci if he thinks we don't get him but it is a weird thing to tweet out that "my pick is in" right after his A&M (virtual) visit. 

Totally agree, which is why when seeing it in real time, Howell thought the same thing all of you did. Then I started checking around, quickly got a totally different feel for thingS and reported as much. The guy has never even seen the A&M campus, which was going to make this a VERY tough pull in any situation. Coley damn near made it happen but that's just a pretty colossal ask, in my opinion.

Things like this and Jackson and Thomas having had not one but two overnight spring visits scheduled and those not happening have been really detrimental to the Ags' efforts. Were it not for this lockdown, I don't think any of those three guys are committed before taking in Aggieland and I think all three would have ended the process let in spring (around now), which would have meant the Ags had gotten one of the final looks and, likely, a lot of momentum. 

Excuse? Call it what you want, but for as much as I think it's going to help a veteran team like the Aggies on the field this year, it is clearly hurting them in recruiting. Remember all of the reasons I said the shutdown could hurt A&M a lot less than other squads this fall? Think about the impact on recruiting. Last big event to get guys on campus was late January/early February for the Super Bowl. Prospects who didn't attend that? Most planned to return during soring break or spring football practice, neither of which happened. To a man, almost every kid the Ags are recruiting hasn't been on campus for a minimum of three months and, in most cases, since November if you can believe that. Mix in the fact there are four new assistant coaches on staff who didn't get to go out and recruit save a couple of weeks in January (if they were lucky) and the fact that some of your primary recruiting rivals did start spring ball and had big visit days just before the lockdown and you have the perfect storm in the other direction. 

Jason Howell

In reply to Bulldog73 •  9:49a 

Staff

Bulldog73 said:

Because the first this Howell said responding to "the pick is in" tweet is that it sounds positive for us. Then your post is we're in final 3 along with intel on why the other two are competition & that Bright hasn't been told it's us (which is a semi regular occurrence). All of that information directly from staff does lead to confusion. 

Liucci summed it up pretty well 

"Totally agree, which is why when seeing it in real time, Howell thought the same thing all of you did. Then I started checking around, quickly got a totally different feel for thingS and reported as much. The guy has never even seen the A&M campus, which was going to make this a VERY tough pull in any situation. Coley damn near made it happen but that's just a pretty colossal ask, in my opinion."

Jason Howell

In reply to Jet Black •  10:02a 

Staff

Jason Howell said:

Jet Black said:

I'm not trying to start a big thing here but maybe don't do this. People take your word as gospel here and a post like this is immediately translated into we are definitely getting him.

I can't see it but it looks like Perroni changed his pick to Miami. Hell of a job by him. Smh.

Well at the time that was the feeling. In hindsight I should have made that more clear that those were my feeling based on seeing the tweets. I'll do better. That said, Liucci came on here pretty quickly afterward and he made it clear he was hearing conflicting information. 

1 edit

Jason Howell

In reply to SirDippinDots •  10:05a 

Staff

SirDippinDots said:

Jason, other schools get kids to campus.... Maybe we need to get them to campus earlier in the process... Saying the kid has never made it to our campus is no kind of defense for any in state player, IMO.
I can certainly understand if its an out of state player, however.

Good idea, I'll relay that thought to the coaching staff. smh

They had the Super Bowl party and were gearing up for a big spring full of prospect visits during spring ball and ending with a big event during the spring game weekend. The coronavirus thing kind of dampened those plans. 

Jason Howell

In reply to Jet Black •  10:08a 

Staff

Jet Black said:

Worldwide virus that caused a worldwide lockdown is no excuse dammit!

Liucci

In reply to SirDippinDots •  12:15p 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

Totally agree, which is why when seeing it in real time, Howell thought the same thing all of you did. Then I started checking around, quickly got a totally different feel for thingS and reported as much. The guy has never even seen the A&M campus, which was going to make this a VERY tough pull in any situation. Coley damn near made it happen but that's just a pretty colossal ask, in my opinion.

Things like this and Jackson and Thomas having had not one but two overnight spring visits scheduled and those not happening have been really detrimental to the Ags' efforts. Were it not for this lockdown, I don't think any of those three guys are committed before taking in Aggieland and I think all three would have ended the process let in spring (around now), which would have meant the Ags had gotten one of the final looks and, likely, a lot of momentum. 

Excuse? Call it what you want, but for as much as I think it's going to help a veteran team like the Aggies on the field this year, it is clearly hurting them in recruiting. Remember all of the reasons I said the shutdown could hurt A&M a lot less than other squads this fall? Think about the impact on recruiting. Last big event to get guys on campus was late January/early February for the Super Bowl. Prospects who didn't attend that? Most planned to return during soring break or spring football practice, neither of which happened. To a man, almost every kid the Ags are recruiting hasn't been on campus for a minimum of three months and, in most cases, since November if you can believe that. Mix in the fact there are four new assistant coaches on staff who didn't get to go out and recruit save a couple of weeks in January (if they were lucky) and the fact that some of your primary recruiting rivals did start spring ball and had big visit days just before the lockdown and you have the perfect storm in the other direction. 

SirDippinDots said:

Sounds like we need to do a better job of getting players on campus earlier in the process. We hear what great recruiters we have on staff and we are not recruiting Texas that well (out of state not withstanding).
We are getting smoked right now in state, especially at DE and TE. What are Price and Coley doing?

Well, with Coley he came in late and wasn't recruiting TEs at Georgia. I'm not sure he's met a single tight end they're recruiting face to face up until this point outside of Crownover.

And I agree, next January and February need to be a lot more active in terms of on-campus activities and I think that needed to be the case regardless of any shutdown.

Liucci

12:16p 

Staff

AG

...and I never got the feeling they pushed hard for a commit from King if we're being honest.

Liucci

In reply to Jason Howell •  12:20p 

Staff

AG

+ 2 more quotes (click to expand)

Jet Black said:

I'm not trying to start a big thing here but maybe don't do this. People take your word as gospel here and a post like this is immediately translated into we are definitely getting him.

I can't see it but it looks like Perroni changed his pick to Miami. Hell of a job by him. Smh.

Jason Howell said:

Well at the time that was the feeling. In hindsight I should have made that more clear that those were my feeling based on seeing the tweets. I'll do better. That said, Liucci came on here pretty quickly afterward and he made it clear he was hearing conflicting information. 

And on top of it, maybe don't read a post that starts with 'lol' as any type of attempt at concrete reporting...even if it is coming from a mod. I think it should've been pretty clear that HOWELL was reacting to the tweet with a simple instant post just like you guys were. He then followed up but I guess I just got my concrete info first and quickly posted it.

Liucci

In reply to Jet Black •  12:36p 

Staff

AG

Jason Howell said:

Jet Black said:

You don't say????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Arroyo

Reveal hidden contents

Spoke to Elijah Arroyo

18,986 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by Liucci

Jason Howell

2:10p, 5/1/20 

Staff

I spoke with Frisco Independence TE Elijah Arroyo and the big news is he will take a virtual visit to Texas A&M today. Coach Coley is leading the Aggies' recruiting efforts. Arroyo is originally from Miami and moved to Texas at the age of 12 so the two have bonded over the ties to South Florida.

He named a top 10 of Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Miami, Arizona State, USC, Penn State, and SMU last Friday, and his relationships with the coaches were a big factor as he narrowed his list. 

He has taken virtual visits to Michigan State and Georgia so far. He does not have a definitive timeline for a decision at this time.

Jason Howell

In reply to bearkatag15 •  6:40p, 5/1/20 

Staff

bearkatag15 said:

Sounds like the virtual visit went well

Liucci

6:54p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

This one is interesting to me. TCU and LSU are still very much in play here. I wouldn't rule either of them out as being there pick.' I'll say this, if he's choosing the Ags, I don't get the vibe he's let them know it yet. 

Liucci

In reply to Rspring32 •  11:25p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

Rosy Goat said:

That's because Perroni knows his stuff while Looch and crew are just "protecting the brand" in order to not have their sideline passes stripped.

Rspring32 said:

It's like some of these people are just asking for a ban 

Woah, who invited this moron to the party? Quick ban. And for no reason besides talking out of his ass.

Liucci

11:31p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

...and since you're still reading Roxy Goat, let me just make this permaban really personal and tell you that I'll be showing you the door. One less person for us all to loathe around here.

Liucci

11:36p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

Really have no earthly idea why I said TCU in the OP. It's LSU or Miami as the primary contenders and I just personally am having a hard time envisioning a kid who grew up in Miami and who was able to see most of the SEC power programs during the spring and, because he was scheduled to visit during spring break, was unable to ever stop foot on the A&M campus to choose the Aggies. That would have to have been one hell of a virtual visit and it stinks because he's also never gotten to spend any real face-to-face time with James Coley. Again, I know what it looks like in terms of the timing but I don't think this one falls the Ags' way and never felt as confident as many did. It's too much, too soon to fall in the good guy's favor, IMO, and I haven't gotten anything to make me believe we're going to see the Frisco product stay in state.

Liucci

In reply to RGRAg1/75 •  11:46p, 5/1/20 

Staff

AG

RGRAg1/75 said:

Just did a quick scan of his 50 posts since joining Dec 2019. Surprised he made it this long. Clearly a sip troll. 

Liucci

In reply to jickyjack1 •  12:25a, 5/2/20 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

jickyjack1 said:

Aw hell, Billy. Take the gloves and tell it like you live.

One of the reasons to fight through some of the (surely it can't be all of them) maddening moderators around 
here is because the leader refuses to take any hockey, eschews political correctness and kicks ass when he thinks it warranted. I don't know . . . it makes you feel like that, despite the namby-pambys in the bushes, there's some steel at the top.

Post of the Day. Period.

Liucci

In reply to ruxin98 •  8:15a 

Staff

AG

ruxin98 said:

Confused... are we thinking we get this guy or no?

Liucci

In reply to Tegridy •  8:54a 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

Tegridy said:

Bummer. A lot can change once visits begin again. Everybody commits to the U early but not many stick.

I agree with you here.

Liucci

In reply to Bulldog73 •  8:57a 

Staff

AG

Bulldog73 said:

Another example of one of the usual suspect's defending it. Look, I've been CRYSTAL clear here. Since my first post on it and have gotten clearer with each post after that as more and more info has become available. Believe what you want at this point, there's nothing more for me to add.

Liucci

In reply to ExtremeRush •  9:09a 

Staff

AG

ExtremeRush said:

I'm not challenging Liucci if he thinks we don't get him but it is a weird thing to tweet out that "my pick is in" right after his A&M (virtual) visit. 

Jason Howell

In reply to Bulldog73 •  9:49a 

Staff

Bulldog73 said:

Liucci summed it up pretty well 

"Totally agree, which is why when seeing it in real time, Howell thought the same thing all of you did. Then I started checking around, quickly got a totally different feel for thingS and reported as much. The guy has never even seen the A&M campus, which was going to make this a VERY tough pull in any situation. Coley damn near made it happen but that's just a pretty colossal ask, in my opinion."

Jason Howell

In reply to Jet Black •  10:02a 

Staff

Jason Howell said:

Jet Black said:

1 edit

Jason Howell

In reply to SirDippinDots •  10:05a 

Staff

SirDippinDots said:

Jason, other schools get kids to campus.... Maybe we need to get them to campus earlier in the process... Saying the kid has never made it to our campus is no kind of defense for any in state player, IMO.
I can certainly understand if its an out of state player, however.

Good idea, I'll relay that thought to the coaching staff. smh

They had the Super Bowl party and were gearing up for a big spring full of prospect visits during spring ball and ending with a big event during the spring game weekend. The coronavirus thing kind of dampened those plans. 

Jason Howell

In reply to Jet Black •  10:08a 

Staff

Jet Black said:

Worldwide virus that caused a worldwide lockdown is no excuse dammit!

Liucci

In reply to SirDippinDots •  12:15p 

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

SirDippinDots said:

Sounds like we need to do a better job of getting players on campus earlier in the process. We hear what great recruiters we have on staff and we are not recruiting Texas that well (out of state not withstanding).
We are getting smoked right now in state, especially at DE and TE. What are Price and Coley doing?

Well, with Coley he came in late and wasn't recruiting TEs at Georgia. I'm not sure he's met a single tight end they're recruiting face to face up until this point outside of Crownover.

And I agree, next January and February need to be a lot more active in terms of on-campus activities and I think that needed to be the case regardless of any shutdown.

Liucci

12:16p 

Staff

AG

...and I never got the feeling they pushed hard for a commit from King if we're being honest.

Liucci

In reply to Jason Howell •  12:20p 

Staff

AG

+ 2 more quotes (click to expand)

Jet Black said:

Jason Howell said:

And on top of it, maybe don't read a post that starts with 'lol' as any type of attempt at concrete reporting...even if it is coming from a mod. I think it should've been pretty clear that HOWELL was reacting to the tweet with a simple instant post just like you guys were. He then followed up but I guess I just got my concrete info first and quickly posted it.

Liucci

In reply to Jet Black •  12:36p 

Staff

AG

Jason Howell said:

Jet Black said:

You don't say????

We're one A&M recruiting whiff away from Liucci having a psychotic break on his subscribers

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Not a good look from the Longhorn fan here. You never use the word boy when talking about a member of the AA community.

I don't think there was any racist intent behind the tweet. Liucci has referred to Price as a "friend" and I think even one of his "boys" in other tweets. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I like how C. Pubes blames the virus for their shitty recruiting as if every school in the country isn't dealing with the same thing. 

You idiot - its the veteran aggy squad thats the problem.  No high school player wants to go against this grizzled SECSECSEC West squad in practice each day.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

30 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I like how C. Pubes blames the virus for their shitty recruiting as if every school in the country isn't dealing with the same thing. 

Brazos County is getting hit hard as fuck, but that's more than likely a result of their own fucking stupidity.

57 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

The guy has never even seen the A&M campus, which was going to make this a VERY tough pull in any situation.

200.gif

Let me get this straight -- this guy was choosing between the University of fucking Miami and Texas A&M, and we're supposed to believe that not having seen the A&M campus disadvantaged A&M?!?!?!?

admissions-1240x550.jpg

20190806_TAMU_Arerial_brs0070-Edit-2400.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What about Kaci Segers and Victory Vaka?

oh that’s right. They’re being paid 

They sell the SEC, getting paid, and their program somewhere later.   Now that players can receive payment for their name, image and likeness, aggy payments won't mean as much or they will need to pay a whole lot more.  Recruits will receive more compensation with their names on the back of a USC, Texas or Bama jersey since the public is more likely to buy a USC, Texas or Bama jersey.  Poor aggy.    

The new coach luster has worn off for aggy.  2 years of piss result, getting the shit beaten out of them against LSU,  looking terrible and almost losing to okie lite with all their best players out, firing a bunch of coaches, having a terrible draft outcome, and having possibly the most boring offense in college football.  They’re back to getting leftovers.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

2:23p 

Staff

The Aggies have offered Katy TE Fernando Garza today after a long conversation with James Coley. 

The 6-5, 245 pounder was off to an outstanding start in the camp circuit prior to the shutdown and came into the spring holding P5 offers from Pitt, Michigan State, Colorado, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, and Kansas. He also had UCF and Houston thrown in there. A really physical player at the point of attack, Garza has been splitting his time between the football and baseball fields - meaning as he puts his focus squarely on football, he'll continue to see significant progress in his development. I should have more soon on this one.

Ryan Brauninger

In reply to WT96 •  2:51p 

Staff

WT96 said:

The fact that we're offering the 108th player in Texas and 27th ranked TE after missing on Arroyo is rough. 

I think I'm typically pretty positive, but after churning out Sternberger and Wydermyer along with having Jimbo and Coley, this feels like it shouldn't be happening. Thanks for staying on top of this though Ryan!

Except for the fact that Coley and Jimbo both believe he can play in the SEC West. This wasn't a willy nilly, random offer. Coley has been recruiting this kid since he showed out at those early camps.

Liucci

3:13p 

Staff

AG

Absolutely a committable offer. Coley has been recruiting him since he won MVP at a Houston combine just before the shutdown. Like Brauny said, he's a two-sport guy (he actually pitches and probably cuts a pretty imposing presence on the mound) so the fact that he's already 6-5 and over 240 pounds probably points to this dude eventually being a really big tight end.  

I talked to one of his coaches last night who told me Garza is very physical at the point of attack, has good hands (Katy doesn't throw to the tight ends much so you won't see too much of it on tape) and comes off the ball with tremendous pop. Coley and the Ags wasted no time whatsoever extending this offer a day after Arroyo's visit. I think he's been a guy the new tight ends coach and Jimbo have quietly wanted to add to the class in recent weeks as they evaluated the roster because he's something the Ags haven't signed despite faring as well at TE as just about any position on the field. He's going to be a dominant blocker at the college level. He already knows how to roll his hips, use his hands and he's very well-coached. Combine that with his size and the fact that he doesn't get into the weight room as much during the spring as most high school prospects and it's easy to see that Garza could provide something the Ags are going to need moving forward as they try to run the ball against the best defensive fronts in the country. And based on what I've been told and how he fared a camp, I wouldn't underestimate his hands, either.

I'd like to see the Ags add this one for multiple reasons. No. 1, it's a need. Second, it would be a get from one of the top programs in the country which would in no way hurt when the Ags go in next year likely looking to sign three four-star or better defenders off of the Tiger defense. Third, it gives Coley the flexibility to search the state and country for a second addition cut from the mold that the Ags tried to get in Arroyo - a guy who is more of a 'detached' tight end and jumbo receiver - or to go with a bigger duo like Garza and 270-pound monster Dametrious Crownover, call it a day and go all-in on convincing Dickinson five-star Donovan Green to extend the Gator/A&M pipeline at the position for another three years or so after Jalen Wydermyer takes his act to the NFL.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Liucci

In reply to WT96   3:29p 

Staff

AG

WT96 said:

The fact that we're offering the 108th player in Texas and 27th ranked TE after missing on Arroyo is rough. 

I think I'm typically pretty positive, but after churning out Sternberger and Wydermyer along with having Jimbo and Coley, this feels like it shouldn't be happening. Thanks for staying on top of this though Ryan!

It's happening because they want it to happen. Of course Arroyo got the first push and that led to moving on another player at the position. But I think you'd be off base if you were to tell me that the Ags wouldn't take Garza over Landen King were he still on the board. That's actually pretty debatable, though the likely answer is that they probably would have pushed for both. He may be ranked as the 27th-best tight end in the country but Coley clearly doesn't think that's the case. Again, they offered here knowing there's a good chance they can get him. They could wait if they wanted to and are choosing not to. They think he can play at the required SEC West level. Reminds me of some of those 'second' TEs that LSU and Bama tend to field every year. I watched one of each score a touchdown against the Ags in 2018 and like three or four have been drafted by the two schools over the past two years.

Of course momentum has to swing the Ags' way and they need to start winning a higher percentage of the high-profile battles for kids they want (Thomas, Jackson, Arroyo) but I'm going to caution folks when it comes to writing Fisher and this staff off this early when so many kids are committing places pretty hastily of late and doing so without taking any official visits and in some cases without even seeing every school they were seriously considering or after just one unofficial to each. If the NCAA pushes back or does away with the early signing date this year (and it's being discussed and there's a good chance they will), I agree with Howell in that we'll eventually see a pretty large number of decommits and some real movement. Reason for concern, sure there is. However, if Fisher has shown one thing since arriving in College Station it's that he one of the best closers in the business as far as head coaches go. I'm not saying that A&M can't swing momentum sooner (it's going to happen pretty soon, IMO) but give the Ags a strong season on the field and time to recover (no ESD) and we'll remember the past 2-3 weeks as nothing more than a blip similar to the late spring/early summer blip last year that had everyone losing their collective mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

2:23p 

Staff

The Aggies have offered Katy TE Fernando Garza today after a long conversation with James Coley. 

The 6-5, 245 pounder was off to an outstanding start in the camp circuit prior to the shutdown and came into the spring holding P5 offers from Pitt, Michigan State, Colorado, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, and Kansas. He also had UCF and Houston thrown in there. A really physical player at the point of attack, Garza has been splitting his time between the football and baseball fields - meaning as he puts his focus squarely on football, he'll continue to see significant progress in his development. I should have more soon on this one.

Ryan Brauninger

In reply to WT96 •  2:51p 

Staff

WT96 said:

I think I'm typically pretty positive, but after churning out Sternberger and Wydermyer along with having Jimbo and Coley, this feels like it shouldn't be happening. Thanks for staying on top of this though Ryan!

Except for the fact that Coley and Jimbo both believe he can play in the SEC West. This wasn't a willy nilly, random offer. Coley has been recruiting this kid since he showed out at those early camps.

Liucci

3:13p 

Staff

AG

Absolutely a committable offer. Coley has been recruiting him since he won MVP at a Houston combine just before the shutdown. Like Brauny said, he's a two-sport guy (he actually pitches and probably cuts a pretty imposing presence on the mound) so the fact that he's already 6-5 and over 240 pounds probably points to this dude eventually being a really big tight end.  

I talked to one of his coaches last night who told me Garza is very physical at the point of attack, has good hands (Katy doesn't throw to the tight ends much so you won't see too much of it on tape) and comes off the ball with tremendous pop. Coley and the Ags wasted no time whatsoever extending this offer a day after Arroyo's visit. I think he's been a guy the new tight ends coach and Jimbo have quietly wanted to add to the class in recent weeks as they evaluated the roster because he's something the Ags haven't signed despite faring as well at TE as just about any position on the field. He's going to be a dominant blocker at the college level. He already knows how to roll his hips, use his hands and he's very well-coached. Combine that with his size and the fact that he doesn't get into the weight room as much during the spring as most high school prospects and it's easy to see that Garza could provide something the Ags are going to need moving forward as they try to run the ball against the best defensive fronts in the country. And based on what I've been told and how he fared a camp, I wouldn't underestimate his hands, either.

I'd like to see the Ags add this one for multiple reasons. No. 1, it's a need. Second, it would be a get from one of the top programs in the country which would in no way hurt when the Ags go in next year likely looking to sign three four-star or better defenders off of the Tiger defense. Third, it gives Coley the flexibility to search the state and country for a second addition cut from the mold that the Ags tried to get in Arroyo - a guy who is more of a 'detached' tight end and jumbo receiver - or to go with a bigger duo like Garza and 270-pound monster Dametrious Crownover, call it a day and go all-in on convincing Dickinson five-star Donovan Green to extend the Gator/A&M pipeline at the position for another three years or so after Jalen Wydermyer takes his act to the NFL.

Ah the ol, “take this shitty guy to get a ton of better guys down the road” angle, nice spin

6 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

In reply to WT96   3:29p 

Staff

AG

It's happening because they want it to happen. Of course Arroyo got the first push and that led to moving on another player at the position. But I think you'd be off base if you were to tell me that the Ags wouldn't take Garza over Landen King were he still on the board. 

Never change, Looch