2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Today is the day we've all been waiting for.

THE lineup + JV starting

What a time to be alive!

springer

altuve

bregman

brantley

correa

alvarez

yuli

chirinos

reddick

?

cleve matchups:

jv @ bieber

urquidy @ plutko

cole @ plesac

as goldy was heating up along with the stl team, ramirez is heating up along with the indians.  sweet timing.

also dodgers lost tonight.  we're .5 back.

Twins reportedly backing off of their pursuit of Syndergaard as the Mets were asking for a package which included Buxton. The starting pitching market is out of whack and I’m getting the uneasy feeling that we might get priced out. The fucking Mets shit in the punch bowl.

Twins reportedly backing off of their pursuit of Syndergaard as the Mets were asking for a package which included Buxton. The starting pitching market is out of whack and I’m getting the uneasy feeling that we might get priced out. The fucking Mets shit in the punch bowl.

I’m not worried. Yet
Notice how no one buying is biting at those asks that would seem to price us out?
Someone like the twins is going to have to change their mind and agree to something outlandish before you start seeing others potentially panic-buying

I don’t see teams like the Yankees or Astros mortgaging the future for these ridiculous asks when they may conceivably be good enough already to win it all this year

Standing pat is a pussy ass move even if no one else does anything.  Go win this thing.  Adding a guy will bury any team in a 7 game series (as long as everyone is healthy).  

Speaking of....I'd add someone based on that alone.  God forbid Verlander or Cole get hurt we are fucked.  Waste of a year.

Edited by Scraps

Rosenthal just came out with an article in the Athletic that claims we are working hard for Wheeler:

Why Wheeler makes sense for the Astros

Two sources said Monday that the Astros were working hard to acquire Mets right-hander Zack Wheeler, though no deal appeared close. The Athletics, Rays and Braves are among the other clubs that have shown varying interest in Wheeler, who, like Bumgarner, is a potential free agent.

The acquisition of a rental would be somewhat curious for the Astros, who already face the possible losses in free agency of two starting pitchers (right-hander Gerrit Cole and lefty Wade Miley) and four relievers (righties Will Harris, Collin McHugh, Héctor Rondón and Joe Smith).

The Astros’ preference surely would be a starter they could retain beyond this season, but even if they added a Robbie Ray (one additional year of control) or Noah Syndergaard (two), they still would face numerous holes. Younger pitchers such as Josh James and José Urquidy will help fill the gaps, and Lance McCullers will return from Tommy John surgery next season. But the Astros know they will need to add more pitching regardless.

There also is a benefit to acquiring a rental such as Wheeler — it would come at a lower acquisition cost. The Astros’ farm system ranks seventh in the majors, according to Baseball America, but several of its top pitching prospects experienced injury and/or regression this season, reducing general manager Jeff Luhnow’s trade leverage.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They tried to get cute and accidentally established that the best SP (arguably - when factoring in results + years under contract) on the market was worth two non-top-100 prospects.  Any team should be asking the Mets why they need to pay more for a pitcher with worse results/less years remaining than Stroman.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They tried to get cute and accidentally established that the best SP (arguably - when factoring in results + years under contract) on the market was worth two non-top-100 prospects.  Any team should be asking the Mets why they need to pay more for a pitcher with worse results/less years remaining than Stroman.

yeah, any attempt to justify it is saying, "well, once they got stroman, they established that they own the sp market, and if you want one, you have to go thru the mets."  that makes a lot of sense, assuming that everyone scrambles to pull the trigger.  if a bunch of the frontrunners stand pat, then what?

they have 24 hours to get something for thor - otherwise, they're idiots.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Seems like an unusual move, but perhaps this would help us the mitigate the potential loss of Tucker in a Thor trade?

Yeah if we make this move I would guess they are trading Tucker to whoever and/or Josh Reddick to an NL contender (Braves?) that needs OF help.  No reason to keep him if we were to get Mancini.  Plus you can get a scrub or two back for him an hope they turn into Tyler White.  

I would actually welcome grabbing Mancini and flipping Reddick.  

Edited by Scraps

Thor takes the mound tonight at 7 central.

Let's see if that impacts anything.

No way he makes that start whether a deal is imminent or not, right?

If you’re the Mets, there is absolutely no good that can come of him starting ~20 hours before the deadline. Stroman last pitched 7 days ago on the 24th. Slot him in and slide everyone back a day past the deadline (unless you’re still entertaining deals for him)

mancini is interesting in a general sense.  can play outfield or first, makes no money, and has 3 years of team control after this year.  he's got + power, and probably will become a 30-90 type of guy.  he definitely strikes out too much (well, he did last year)

he just doesn't seem to make much sense on our current roster.

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

They’re not trading Tucker. And if they can move Reddick, it will be to insert Tucker in RF.

I like the idea of trading Reddick and then calling up Tucker. Josh is great and could provide an instant upgrade to a team. Tucker is currently blocked, and if he's the future then this gives him the chance to prove it. A gamble for sure because Josh is a proven commodity and Tucker didn't have a good debut last year. But I think we have more room to play the odds with hitting than we do pitching. 

things had been quiet on the boyd front, but i like getting his name out there, even if it's a smokescreen.  i want us linked to everything not nailed down between now and the deadline.

MATTHEW BOYD SP, DETROIT TIGERS

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Astros are showing continued interest in Tigers left-hander Matthew Boyd.

We know the Astros are also interested in Zack Wheeler, but the situations are very different between the two pitchers. Wheeler will hit free agency following the season while Boyd is under team control through 2022. Morosi hears that the Tigers have asked for Kyle Tucker in return, which sounds like a reasonable request. Wheeler wouldn't cost nearly as much.

RELATED: 

Houston Astros

SOURCE: Jon Morosi on Twitter

Jul 30, 2019, 10:59 AM ET

Random Q for the usual Houston Surly Astros attendees.. did anyone get an extra season magnet?  Have like the last 6 but don't have this years..  beers for magnet trade.

I may can grab you one this weekend. They have them just sitting out at fan accommodations behind 112 or so

• Like 1

Just now, Scraps said:
3 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:
Random Q for the usual Houston Surly Astros attendees.. did anyone get an extra season magnet?  Have like the last 6 but don't have this years..  beers for magnet trade.

May can grab you one this weekend. They have them just sitting out at fan accommodations behind 112 or so

Ah wasn't aware they still have them.  I'll be out there Sunday and I'll grab one.  Internet points for you for the tip.

My favorite is still last year’s where instead of the faces of McCann and Gattis (mixed in with everyone else) it’s a picture of McCann and...McCann.

Edit: best pic I can find until I can get home and get a better quality version. McCann on the left. McCann on the right...

2f0e9fa521ef4d76060eef95f8996dc5.jpg

My favorite is still last year’s where instead of the faces of McCann and Gattis (mixed in with everyone else) it’s a picture of McCann and...McCann.

Edit: best pic I can find until I can get home and get a better quality version. McCann on the left. McCann on the right...

2f0e9fa521ef4d76060eef95f8996dc5.jpg

Mine are definitely not mccann and mccann....and neither is that one lol

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You trade Reddick in the off season to make room for Tucker, not now.  Reason being that Tucker struggles, you created a hole in your lineup just in time for the playoffs.

diaz alleviates this issue, sort of.  but i really like him as the swiss army knife/first man off the bench.

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

Rosenthal tweeted that Astros are in on Ray, Bum, Tyler, and Wheeler.  Tim Brown tweeted the stunner would be if we don't get a SP, and Rosenthal seems to agree

after what happened with dk and kimbrel, the draft pick/qo situation is definitely a factor.

That would be fucking sad because Reddick has sucked for 95% of the season at the plate

I posted something negative about Reddick on Reddit and got a whole bunch of backlash. Dude is fun but he hasn’t been good. Kind of like that other weird lefty we had a few years ago... he hit like 20 homers in 10 games and then didn’t hit anything else