2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I loved when the one guy said getting Greinke was a nuke and was reduced to murmuring silently in the background hahaha 

What I want to know is the other one in the wife beater saying the Yankees had to keep Houston from getting a starter? How the fuck were the Yankees supposed to do that, petition MLB to not let the Astros make trades?

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Haha

I checked their box score around the 6th inning to see if tucker had done anything and noticed the reserves section only listed pitchers. Thought “thats odd no position players available. App must be acting up.”

What APP are you using to check MiLB scores?

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m curious to see what fisher does. Astros loved him too. I remember sitting in whataburger field and asking why fisher and his .200 batting average was still with this .org 

He's a really good athlete and has physical tools - FG has him with 60 power and 70 speed. His hit tool may never be good enough, but orgs have patience with guys like that, and other orgs (TOR) take a chance with them. 

TOR should play him every day for the rest of the season and see what happens. I think he has a chance to be a decent regular, but probably will be a guy who hits for a low AVG with some power. If his defensive ability matched his speed and athleticism he'd be a much more valuable player, but he's not a particularly good OF. 

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I've been to Cleveland multiple times.  The best way to see that city is to fly there in the morning, get to the R&RHOF when it opens, spend all day there, glance out the windows at Lake Erie, then go immediately to the airport and never, ever go back.

Cleveland sucks but if you don't eat at Slyman's and Greenhouse Tavern you're doing it wrong...

holy shit i'm already loving this biagini dude.

i mean, i don't want him around my athletes, but he'll fit in great down in the bullpen.

i know a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek, but it really shows the vast divide between the super-teams and the re-builders in baseball right now.  just his whole, "yeah, i can't believe a team like that would want me..."

i listened to a chris martin interview yesterday right after he got moved.  he described the scene after the asb when they had a meeting about "we need to come out strong to stay in this, otherwise, we may change directions and be sellers at the deadline."  he then basically said they thought they could hang around, until the series against the astros, when they realized they were not at the level where they could be serious about contending.

Sounds like Greinke's first start will be Tuesday:

Yeah that was my guess yesterday looking at the schedule. And will slot him in nicely between JV and Cole the rest of the season.
I like the alternating hard/soft look that would give the rest of the way. JV, Greinke, Cole, Miley...and hopefully Peacock within the next couple of weeks.

Did he say anything new?

Was dealing with fire drills at work so was only half listening but from what I remember:
Talked about things not really picking up until about 25 minutes before the deadline
Being on the phone with team doctors reviewing guys medical files with 120 seconds to go saying “I need a yes or no...now.”

Has loved Sanchez since he was in HS. Scouted him with the Cardinals.

On Biagini’s sense of humor: He asked Luhnow: “did you trade for me because I’m funny?”

Unchartered territory in team payroll. Great having a boss willing to commit to do what it takes to put team in best position to win .

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Unchartered territory in team payroll. Great having a boss willing to commit to do what it takes to put team in best position to win .

Yep.  That escalated quickly.  Payroll has ballooned significantly in the last five months with the extensions and now Greinke.  

Yep.  That escalated quickly.  Payroll has ballooned significantly in the last five months with the extensions and now Greinke.  

Committed payroll for 2020 right now is around $145 million for 8 players. JV, Altuve, Bregman, Yuli, Reddick, Pressly, Brantley, Greinke

Do y’all think Howard in Memorial is in a good, positive, upbeat mood after the blockbuster moves made by the Astros yesterday? I have tuned into Charlie’s show to see if he calls in. I don’t think I have ever heard him not bitching. Can’t rag on him, he sounds like an older, Jewish, Brooklyn born version of myself.

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Committed payroll for 2020 right now is around $145 million for 8 players. JV, Altuve, Bregman, Yuli, Reddick, Pressly, Brantley, Greinke

Saw this post about payroll going forward: http://www.astroscounty.com/2019/07/how-does-payroll-shake-out-going-forward.html

I haven't confirmed the numbers are correct, but it states that B-Ref estimates the Astros will have a payroll of ~ $171.2 million next season, which if true, doesn't necessarily rule out resigning Cole. 

Holy Hell, the dodgers team meeting / Greinke story : he’s a quiet guy, past history of social anxiety issues. Donny baseball calls a team meeting and Greinke surprisedly asks to speak first - ‘there are people here that don’t wash their hands after making #2, please wash your hands’. Sits down

fuck that’s funny 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah that was my guess yesterday looking at the schedule. And will slot him in nicely between JV and Cole the rest of the season.
I like the alternating hard/soft look that would give the rest of the way. JV, Greinke, Cole, Miley...and hopefully Peacock within the next couple of weeks.

Unless Sanchez completely blows, Peacock is going to the bullpen.

Unless Sanchez completely blows, Peacock is going to the bullpen.

I’m not sure how to define “completely blows” if it isn’t 3-14, 6.07 ERA, but maybe so.

We have the luxury of putting guys in the spot they will benefit us the most in October (Peacock in the bullpen) at the expense of giving us the best chance to win in Aug and Sept (Sanchez as #5 starter)

Depending how Whitley continues to progress, do you give him a start or two in Sept when rosters expand? I’m not sure we have anyone else left in the minors that we haven’t already tried in Houston with a potential to help the team in October.

Saw this post about payroll going forward: http://www.astroscounty.com/2019/07/how-does-payroll-shake-out-going-forward.html  

I haven't confirmed the numbers are correct, but it states that B-Ref estimates the Astros will have a payroll of ~ $171.2 million next season, which if true, doesn't necessarily rule out resigning Cole. 

The $171.2 million was for 2019. Springer and Correa will cost at, at minimum , $20mm in arbitration. That’s $165mm for 11 players. I’d guess it will cost at least another $30 million to fill out the roster. Even without Reddick’s salary, there isn’t a lot of room for Cole, even at a discount.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sanchez has been real bad this year, so I don't have much hope for the remainder of the season.  He might be useful in the pen right now, but they need an offseason to work with him.

His last 5 starts, he's given up 29 hits and 15 runs, but backed that with 27 Ks, 7 BBs, and 2 HRs, all that is 25.2 IP. He's pitching a lot better than his results would indicate. I would also point out that the Toronto infield is not one that is very good at defense right now. For the most part, it seems to be the big inning that does him in as well. 

Edited by HtownHorn

His last 5 starts, he's given up 29 hits and 15 runs, but backed that with 27 Ks, 7 BBs, and 2 HRs, all that is 25.2 IP. He's pitching a lot better than his results would indicate. I would also point out that the Toronto infield is not one that is very good at defense right now. For the most part, it seems to be the big inning that does him in as well. 

To be fair, 10% of his earned runs this year came in one start against us in mid-June.

I actually remember exactly where I was during that start and listening to Sparks talk about his stuff always being really good but him completely losing control from time to time and the blister issues really putting a damper on his ability to maintain any sort of consistent form

Ok, I’m talking myself in to liking this pick up more and it not just being Luhnow seizing a chance to grab a guy he’s had a love affair with for a while (ala a pitching version of Jed Lowrie).

45 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Did anyone ask Luhnow how much they would have saved by resigning Morton instead?

(Counterpoint:  the Yankees might have ended up with Grienke.  Countercounterpoint:  But we'd have a decent lead for the best record.  Countercountercounterpoint:  Greinke might have won (alternate future) ALCS game 1 if JV gave up homers.  Countercountercountercounterpoint:  "Shayna, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into.")

Also, I wonder how many innings they want to get out of Sanchez's start, given his recurring blister issues this year?

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Holy Hell, the dodgers team meeting / Greinke story : he’s a quiet guy, past history of social anxiety issues. Donny baseball calls a team meeting and Greinke surprisedly asks to speak first - ‘there are people here that don’t wash their hands after making #2, please wash your hands’. Sits down

fuck that’s funny 

#2 is made?  I just thought it happens. 

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Ok, I’m talking myself in to liking this pick up more and it not just being Luhnow seizing a chance to grab a guy he’s had a love affair with for a while (ala a pitching version of Jed Lowrie).

Luhnow said on 790 this morning, he wanted him in St. Louis, as followed him for some time, and wanted to bring him to Houston.

Luhnow said on 790 this morning, he wanted him in St. Louis, as followed him for some time, and wanted to bring him to Houston.

Yeah I posted a recap above

How long does it take to tabulate July awards?
After yesterday’s excitement, I need a fix... Yuli and Cole
Does yordan have a shot at rookie of the month?