2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

28 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

uh, yeah no duh.

if i was a gm i would want no part of trading with luhnow.

(although in theory, if we're that great at spotting/drafting/developing talent, grabbing guys from our system should be a good thing).

June 6, 2013
Drafting Mark Appel over Kris Bryant

March 22, 2014
Released J.D. Martinez

August 4, 2015
Traded Josh Hader, Adrian Houser, Brett Phillips and Domingo Santana to the Milwaukee Brewers. Received Mike Fiers, Carlos Gomez and cash

November 25, 2015
Traded Jed Lowrie to the Oakland Athletics. Received Brendan McCurry (minors)

October 29, 2018
Charlie Morton granted Free Agency

I didn't list picking Aiken because the compensatory pick turned into Bregman.  Obviously the Brantley signing and the Alvarez, Verlander, Cole, Pressly, & Diaz trades more than make up for the missteps but he's not infallible.

Edited by Pimphand

23 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

rickey ended his career with 297 homers.  george may need to get to 400 to reach him.  not sure that's happening.

i also doubt springer will be a leadoff man his entire career, but who knows.

I doubt Springer breaks his mark for a variety of reasons.... He started his career at 24 where Henderson started at 20 and had already hit 26 home runs before turning 24.  Henderson played until he was 44 which I don't think Springer will be able to match.  If he maintained his current pace of every 21.5% of the home runs he hits from the leadoff hole he would have to hit 381 (236 more than he currently has as he is nearing his 30th birthday) for his career for 82 of them to have been leadoff and as you state he may not bat leadoff his entire career.   I do see him taking over sole possession of 2nd place barring injury fairly easily as he's only 22 behind Biggio & Soriano.

5 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

June 6, 2013
Drafting Mark Appel over Kris Bryant

March 22, 2014
Released J.D. Martinez

August 4, 2015
Traded Josh Hader, Adrian Houser, Brett Phillips and Domingo Santana to the Milwaukee Brewers. Received Mike Fiers, Carlos Gomez and cash

November 25, 2015
Traded Jed Lowrie to the Oakland Athletics. Received Brendan McCurry (minors)

October 29, 2018
Charlie Morton granted Free Agency

I didn't list picking Aiken because the compensatory pick turned into Bregman.  Obviously the Brantley signing and the Alvarez, Verlander, Cole, Pressly, & Diaz trades more than make up for the missteps but he's not infallible.

oh, i agree completely.  but he also seems like the type of guy who when you're doing a deal with him, if he's happy about it, you all of a sudden feel like there's something you're missing and you might regret it later.

overlooked in all the excitement of trades and signings, is the draft process.  for those who remember drafting poorly (and then typically signing 1-2 of our top 10 picks), luhnow has gotten to the point where we manipulate the pool and the system in order to get guys we want.

carlos correa was not the consensus top pick, no matter what revisionist reporters like to pretend.  we liked him a lot, and knew we could get him under slot.  that allowed us to draft mccullers, who was a top 10 talent, but as the son of a former mlb pitcher, had signability issues/salary demands.

same with daz cameron who we used to get verlander.  we held firm on the aiken situation, and dealt with the backlash, and it ended up getting us bregs and tucker in the same few picks.  we refused to give up whitley and tucker, but still got verlander and cole and pressly and osuna.

the strikes against him - for me - are the brewers trade and the jdm move (although that was very unique).  i could give a shit about jed lowrie.  the appel pick was a mess, but who knows.  maybe if we draft bryant we don't later draft bregman.  you're not gonna nail every pick, but the approach is there.

when we drafted a top 150 type in the first round this year, the comment on it was "well, if the astros like him, it's probably a good pick".  draft analysts are doubting their own research to give our front office the benefit of the doubt.  no team i've ever rooted for in any sport has received that type of praise.

I'm not going to pile on here, and as much as I wish we still had Hader, I can't forget that Fiers carried the damn rotation in June and July of 2017, securing Houston home field advantage during the ALCS. (Gomez can still go fuck himself though.) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

oh, i agree completely.  but he also seems like the type of guy who when you're doing a deal with him, if he's happy about it, you all of a sudden feel like there's something you're missing and you might regret it later.

overlooked in all the excitement of trades and signings, is the draft process.  for those who remember drafting poorly (and then typically signing 1-2 of our top 10 picks), luhnow has gotten to the point where we manipulate the pool and the system in order to get guys we want.

carlos correa was not the consensus top pick, no matter what revisionist reporters like to pretend.  we liked him a lot, and knew we could get him under slot.  that allowed us to draft mccullers, who was a top 10 talent, but as the son of a former mlb pitcher, had signability issues/salary demands.

same with daz cameron who we used to get verlander.  we held firm on the aiken situation, and dealt with the backlash, and it ended up getting us bregs and tucker in the same few picks.  we refused to give up whitley and tucker, but still got verlander and cole and pressly and osuna.

the strikes against him - for me - are the brewers trade and the jdm move (although that was very unique).  i could give a shit about jed lowrie.  the appel pick was a mess, but who knows.  maybe if we draft bryant we don't later draft bregman.  you're not gonna nail every pick, but the approach is there.

when we drafted a top 150 type in the first round this year, the comment on it was "well, if the astros like him, it's probably a good pick".  draft analysts are doubting their own research to give our front office the benefit of the doubt.  no team i've ever rooted for in any sport has received that type of praise.

I wasn't worried about the Jed Lowrie trade at all I just think we should have gotten more than a career triple A player in return for him.... 

I'm with you that the Brewers & JDM moves were the worst.

That I was able to go through 9 years of Astros transactions and only find fault with 5 of them is insane.   We could go back to the Purpura & McClane years and find fault with 5 moves per year as a guess or at least get really close to it...

Edited by Pimphand

9 minutes ago, thetruth said:

I'm not going to pile on here, and as much as I wish we still had Hader, I can't forget that Fiers carried the damn rotation in June and July of 2017, securing Houston home field advantage during the ALCS. (Gomez can still go fuck himself though.) 

agree with the sentiment, but we didn't get alcs homefield until the yankees beat the indians.  we were the 2 seed the last two years.

13 minutes ago, thetruth said:

And to think the only reason we got that jackass was because the fucking Mets pulled their heads out of their ass that one time and walked away from the trade.