2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Well I guess I’m happy for Kemp, going to a potential playoff team over in the NL where I don’t have to root against him.

Wonder if this means lower likelihood of Wheeler since the Mets supposedly wanted players who could help at the major league level right away.

2 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I guess he’s better than Stassi

What’s weird is he’s really not. At least from what the public can tell, and Stassi plays so little this year it’s harder to make any meaningful comparison. The way framing is measured, Stassi does that better than anything Maldonado does. He can’t hit either. And I doubt they’ll start him over Chirinos in the playoffs anyway.

For whatever reason, they obviously don’t trust Stassi. Whether that’s because their proprietary analytics weigh framing differently or he clashes with pitchers in someway (JV last year the obvious example), I don’t know. But it’s a strange move on the surface.

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We were going to get nothing for losing Kemp. He would have signed with someone. Who cares if he's better than Stassi or not. We'll carry 3 catchers after September anyway. Plus he knows the staff. 

Stassi’s out of options. He’s gone. So even in your scenario, they just exchanged one guy for nothing for another, and arguably got worse at the position in the process. At best, it’s a wash. It’s weird.

I also highly doubt they carry 3 catchers in the postseason now that one is not Gattis, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We were going to get nothing for losing Kemp. He would have signed with someone. Who cares if he's better than Stassi or not. We'll carry 3 catchers after September anyway. Plus he knows the staff. 

#3 will be Stubbs then. Stassi has no options so he has to go, unless the Astros are done trading.  

Stassi’s out of options. He’s gone. So even in your scenario, they just exchanged one guy for nothing for another, and arguably got worse at the position in the process. At best, it’s a wash. It’s weird.
I also highly doubt they carry 3 catchers in the postseason now that one is not Gattis, IMO.

I’m not so sure that Stassi will get claimed. If not, he can become a FA or get assigned to the minors. There’s a pretty good chance it will be the latter.

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

#3 will be Stubbs then. Stassi has no options so he has to go, unless the Astros are done trading.  

He might clear waivers and take the assignment.  I doubt there is a lot of demand for him.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Didn't realize he was out of options. Who knows, maybe the pitching staff didn't like Stassi and wanted MM back. Probably a lot we don't know. 

14 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Is Maldonado an upgrade over Stassi?

Defensively, not really. Offensively, also not really.

Nobody was comfortable with Stassi in the clubhouse, had to watch what you said in case he was an informant.

Edited by clapclapclap
Could be my last chance to use that bad pun
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Also this:

The xstats make that more interesting: their numbers are remarkably similar, suggesting some bad luck for Stassi. I mean, that’s 142 PA in a full year, hardly a meaningful sample size. An everyday player burns through that in less than 6 weeks.

Anyway, they didn’t acquire Maldonado for his bat, it’s below average even for a catcher. It’s about his glove and/or handling of the staff. And I think it must be the latter, because that’s the sort of thing we can’t really objectively evaluate (plus see comments re: JV, Cole above).

Edited by formermav43

The Astros continue to push hard for Madison Bumgarner, according to a source, but if they can't pry him away from the Giants, they'll turn their attention to Zack Wheeler in a major way. They're motivated to add SP before 4 PM, whichever way they go

Rumors of the Yankees going after our old buddy Ken Giles, him coming into a late/close game between the Astros and Yankees in the playoffs would be interesting.

7 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Heard a rumor from a friend who is in tune with SF media...we made a push for MadBum and Buster Posey. It got shut down. Can't imagine what that cost

we'll likely pull trigger on wheeler but that's my thought

yeah, I'd imagine they were wanting something crazy for what are basically the two faces of their franchise. Would have been hard to get value from that.

And yeah it's seeming like it's gonna be Wheeler, Ray or nothing at this point.   Twitter saying that the Yankees were in talks with the D-backs about Ray but that those talks are now dead.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Round 2.  Ready?  Fight!

2 HBP in a 3 batter span.  How is Hurdle still in the game?  At least he removed the pitcher, but they certainly should not have the benefit of the doubt- why wasn't there a warning in place at the start of the game?  Seems like they should have ejected the pirates pitcher on the first HBP rather than letting him hit another batter a few pitches later, then letting Hurdle take him out instead of ejecting him.

but to get this back on track here, would we be satisfied with no moves, if none of the other contenders make any more moves either?

Have to admit I have visions of Bumgarner getting blown up by the Dodgers in the series, he's not on a good recent stretch against them.

Looks like the Giants are making a trade with the Brewers, getting a shortstop prospect.  not sure what the Giants are sending out, so it's not clear what this means in terms of Bumgarner's status.  Something to keep an eye on, I guess.

edit: not for Bumgarner or Will Smith

edit2: for Drew Pomeranz, apparently.  So still not sure what it means for buyer/seller status of the Giants. 

Edited by Jebus