2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I can’t fathom any way the Astros give Cole the years he’s going to demand. It’s possible Luhnow pulls a complete 180 from his standard MO on starting pitching deals (and Cole would be the one to do it on) but I’m not betting he will.

Isn’t the longest contract he’s given to a free agent starting pitcher contract still Scott Feldman, 3 years?

SIAP, 

Yankees To Use Piggyback Starters In Playoffs

SEP 18, 2019 7:48 AM

The New York Yankees have dealt with a short-staffed rotation due to injuries and Aaron Boone plans to use piggyback starters and his key relief pitchers in the postseason.

"We're going to be a little untraditional," Boone said. "The only one we might use as a traditional starter is [James] Paxton."

The piggybacking method falls in the same family as teams using an "opener" or "bullpenning."

https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/50868/Yankees-To-Use-Piggyback-Starters-In-Playoffs

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the only way we keep cole is some sort of crazy short-term deal.  like 2 years for $90mm.

otherwise it would be a long-term backloaded situation, and that wouldn't seem likely for either side.

let's win the world series and worry about the rest afterwards.

I would be very happy with a short term deal honestly. Best case scenario, Stros wins another WS and then he leaves to earn the big bucks. 

46 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

We should trade Reddick and Greinke this offseason 

Reddick, yes...but not sure who would want him for a year at $13 million. Maybe could package him in another trade. If you can't trade him, I'd probably DFA him - no room for he and Tucker on the 2020 roster, and that's an easy choice (to me). 

Interesting thought on trading Grienke, but that would be tricky - you're not trading him unless you've signed Cole. And your realistic trade partners are limited, as he's an older guy who still makes a lot of money (even with AZ picking up the tab on a chunk of it...and then if HOU eats part of the money, he could be playing for someone and getting 1/2 his salary from AZ and HOU). It's tough to imagine trading him to an AL contender (though not impossible); so maybe LAD, CHC, ATL, SD? Hell the Mets seem kind of nuts...

Anyway, it seems far more likely that Grienke stays and Cole signs elsewhere. 

I can't imagine Cole signing a short deal...he'll be 29 this offseason and coming off of a dominant, CY-caliber year. This is his chance to guarantee himself an absolute shitload of money.

Difficult to see him signing for 2 years and $90 million - he'd then hit free agency again at 31 with a lot of unknowns (pitchers get hurt, have surgery, lose velocity, etc). He'll get offers north of $150 million guaranteed for 5+ years this offseason. Maybe he's willing to bet that he can significantly surpass that extra $60-90 million with another FA deal after 2021, but that's taking on a lot of risk from his position. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Is something wrong with Springer? This is his 4th day off this week.

yeah, that's strange, but i guess we have a big divisional lead?  he needs to play the next several days for me to feel ok about it though.

get pressly back, but springer sitting and yuli has a tummy ache.

this team's luck with injuries i swear to god.

6 hours ago, YChang said:

I would be very happy with a short term deal honestly. Best case scenario, Stros wins another WS and then he leaves to earn the big bucks. 

Give his ass an earn-in ownership percentage. The way this franchise is going, that develops into generational security.

Of course, this would never happen. I just hate to think of going forward without him.

Edited by Wishbone
Edited for momentary sanity.