2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I think we'll see Bregs play some shortstop with Gurriel at 3rd. Of course that means a heavy dose of White at 1st  Maybe they are planning for Uncle Mike to DH with Straw in the outfield   I hope they're not planning for Straw to play short. He's only played something like 25 games in his pro career at SS.  

Edited by TonyTexas

White will probably be gone soon enough (unless he starts one of his hot streaks like he had last year for a month or so, which would be nice with Altuve/Springer/Correa/Diaz hurt). In a few weeks they'll flip him to some AL team for a low-level prospect, which is better than just giving him away (which would happen if they demote him). Alvarez will have cleared all the service time hurdles by then, and it's likely somebody will be hurt, so he could get everyday ABs.

Was told by someone that would know a deal was in place for exactly this at end of April (AA prospect) but front office slow played and other side backed out.

Sucks if true. Hopefully they get another chance in a month or so if he gets on a hot streak.

Or maybe he too will have a hamstring that “acts up.”

14 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Glad we never extended Correa. Dude misses about 1 out of every 3 games. Can't count on him. 

Lunhow is whiting out that $500mil contract as we speak 

if this means we’ll have a healthy Correa in Oct, so be it. We can get by until then 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Haha. His free agency will be interesting...he has two more years after this season, but is scheduled to be in the same FA class as Lindor, Seager and Story. CC misses about 50 games per year - you have to figure that will cost him a lot of money, and on top of that he'll be in the same class as 3 other all-star level SSs - and about the same age as Lindor and Seager. 

Maybe he'll stay on the field the next two years. I wouldn't bet on it. 

ok, heavy heart writing this today (motherfucking broken rib), but let's go.

first, the good.

after 11-1 on the easy stretch, we are now 8-4 during our 13 game "rough" streak, and 6-3 during our 10 game home stand.  i would've probably settled for 8-5 overall or 7-3 at home, but that second one could be rough.  gotta hit tonight somehow.

with the win in the cubs series, we are now 7-0-1 in our last 8 series, and haven't lost a series since 4/30-5/2 @minn - the current best team in mlb.

we are 37-19.  we started the season 2-5, and are 35-14 since.

in our 5 game stretch vs lefties, we went 4-1 including games against price*, sale, lester, and hamels - 4 of the most effective lefties over the past decade.  impressive.

now, for the not so good.

injuries...correa needs a month, altuve's getting reevaluated, and springer, yeah.  we actually need aledmys diaz to get back real fucking soon.  we also need to bring up alvarez as soon as super 2 passes.  fuck whatever position he plays, we need the bat.  put him in left and hope for the best.  and hope that jake, reddick, and yuli continue to trend upward, and that some of our young guys can contribute, namely fisher and mayfield (or straw if he comes up).

it's looking like we won't be near full health til around the all-star break, which is july 8-10.  until then, we have 33 games (not counting tonight), including @oak, @nyy, and a bunch of winnable games against teams like toronto, baltimore, cincy, the angels, and the mariners. 

if we lose tonight and are 37-20, i think a realistic minimum goal considering our health, over those 33 games, is 18-15.  high end goal would be more around 21-12, but hard to assume that, especially if our few remaining stars go cold.  bregman can only do so much.  18-15 would put us at 55-35 with 72 to play.  from there, 45-27 gives us 100 wins.

the goal is to get everyone healthy after the asb, and hope we're still in position to finish no lower than the 2 seed.  i'm assuming oakland will cool off, because they will.

this is starting to feel like the 1994-95 rockets, when the dream got injured and we were the 6 seed.  we all know how that turned out.

let's go. 

• Like 3

if this means we’ll have a healthy Correa in Oct, so be it. We can get by until then 

But this doesn’t mean that.
I get what you’re saying, but he’ll likely break a pinkie toe sept 29 and use that as an excuse to miss October

Big “winners” in all of this are Express season ticket holders.

2+ months of Alvarez and Tucker.
Then shortly after they should be scheduled to get called up, you’ll have Altuve/Springer/Correa roll through

But seriously, nice to have Round Rock back in the fold during times like this

3 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

maybe i'm overthinking, but seems like luhnow is fucking pissed at correa for how he hurt himself. sigh.

I mean...the dude constantly finds new ways to get hurt...every. fucking. year. I'm sure Lunhow is irritated. Correa's career is starting to resemble Eric Davis - hall of fame talent, but can't stay on the field. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean...the dude constantly finds new ways to get hurt...every. fucking. year. I'm sure Lunhow is irritated. Correa's career is starting to resemble Eric Davis - hall of fame talent, but can't stay on the field. 

i just don't understand how this happens to finely tuned athletes, assuming that's what this is.

i spent several years living on a fucking bus.  slept in weird places.  was drunk (or more) most of the time.  i fell down the stairs more than once.  i jumped out of a window.  i was as reckless and irresponsible as one could be while working.

and i barely got a scratch, much less a pulled muscle or broken bone.

29 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I know one thing, that line up will be full of hungry players that want to play 

yep.

in my rundown, i said "young" players, but obviously i really meant "inexperienced" since they're not that young.  give me those guys over young guys struggling to "figure it out" any day of the week.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i just don't understand how this happens to finely tuned athletes, assuming that's what this is.

i spent several years living on a fucking bus.  slept in weird places.  was drunk (or more) most of the time.  i fell down the stairs more than once.  i jumped out of a window.  i was as reckless and irresponsible as one could be while working.

and i barely got a scratch, much less a pulled muscle or broken bone.

Haha, yeah. 

And this has happened at age 22, 23 and 24...how many games can you count on him to play when he's 30?

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m 100% sure when the story breaks about how this happened, it’ll be very embarrassing

Yep, like his wife was pegging him and he accidentally fell off the bed embarrassing.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I guess you have to alternate Brantley and Bregman at DH now, just to keep them from injuring themselves. Thank goodness that Reddick is having another season like 2017 and not 2018.

Because babying Altuve, Springer, and Correa has worked so well this year?  I don't mind giving guys DH days but I think we sit our stars more than we need to.

Yeah it’s pretty obvious they aren’t happy, no over thinking needed. He’s obviously not doing the things needed to be successful long term.

Also I’d like to echo the thoughts above about getting injured. I did all kinds of dumb stuff and never got more than some bad bruises, twisted ankles and minor stuff. I drunkenly jumped off a ledge on the roof of a house in the middle of the night and was able to limp away and play in a game the next day (painfully). We used to bare knuckle box, no faces, and punch each other in the chest over and over and never broke a rib. Pretty remarkable