2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Pibald said:

CSB/ I saw a kid get hit hard in the terrible home loss against KC in the 2015 playoffs. Salvador Perez fouled one off over the home dugout a few rows up and hit a kid in the chest or neck. The crowd went silent (playoff baseball crowd) and the kid’s dad hauled ass up the stairs with the unconscious kid in his arms. Play stopped briefly, but not as long as just now. All the players just stood and watched. Terrifying. 

Despite the magnitude of the loss, my only concern post game was that the kid was ok. Found on the interweb later that he was ok. /csb

was at that game and saw that same thing. I'll never forget seeing the dad running up the stairs holding his kid

That video of Luhnow should be saved and shown to Correa everytime he complains about a minor ache/pain in the future.

The amount of shame I would feel if my boss had to sit and answer ridiculous questions like that...not to mention having to face the other 24 guys on the roster...

Can’t change whatever the fuck happened Tuesday morning but have some fucking pride, come back from this as quickly as possible and never put yourself in a position for anything like this happen again.

Of course, fans and children at baseball games need to be protected, of course. The netting could be extended, without significantly interfering with the game experience, and at a relatively low cost. Of course. 

But maybe...

Maybe if you bring your kid to a game, sit in a rocket zone, and don't pay attention, it's a tiny bit your fault.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

That video of Luhnow should be saved and shown to Correa everytime he complains about a minor ache/pain in the future.

The amount of shame I would feel if my boss had to sit and answer ridiculous questions like that...not to mention having to face the other 24 guys on the roster...

Can’t change whatever the fuck happened Tuesday morning but have some fucking pride, come back from this as quickly as possible and never put yourself in a position for anything like this happen again.

Watch...Correa will sit out his standard 50-60 games this year and next...then will finally play a full season in 2021, just in time for some sucker to give him a $250mm FA deal. Then he'll settle back into his routine and won't come close to producing the value that he should. 

• Like 1

Of course, fans and children at baseball games need to be protected, of course. The netting could be extended, without significantly interfering with the game experience, and at a relatively low cost. Of course. 
But maybe...
Maybe if you bring your kid to a game, sit in a rocket zone, and don't pay attention, it's a tiny bit your fault.

Point on the rocket zone taken, but I seriously doubt there's enough reaction time to get your kid or even yourself out of the way of a 100mph screamer, even if you're paying attention.

40 minutes ago, jkates said:

But maybe...

Of course of course of course you should stop masturbating on people.

But maybe they were asking for it?

• Like 1

It is dumb to have a kid down there....it is dumb to be on your phone down there....it is dumb to be looking at the person on the left side of you if you are on 3b side and right side of you if 1b side.  

Net has been extended already.  Pay fucking attention....and take your infants/toddlers to the upper decks.  

I am so god damned tired of snowflakes in this world trying to make every single god damn experience 0.00% risk.  It ain't happening.  ZOMG LETS WRAP THE WHOLE STADIUM IN NETTING SO NO ONE CAN EVER GET HURT!!!!!!!!!!  Someone will still get hurt by a homer blasting off the signs above the Crawford boxes at some point and then we will have to change them so that the ball is absorbed into the facing of the wall/sign so that it can't bounce back and hit someone.  

Just pay attention and don't be an idiot and that solves many of the problems in the world.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Point on the rocket zone taken, but I seriously doubt there's enough reaction time to get your kid or even yourself out of the way of a 100mph screamer, even if you're paying attention.

If you can’t react to a 100mph baseball from 150ft away, how on earth does somebody hit one from 53ft?

Pay attention. Put up netting. Both need to happen

46 minutes ago, Scraps said:

It is dumb to have a kid down there....it is dumb to be on your phone down there....it is dumb to be looking at the person on the left side of you if you are on 3b side and right side of you if 1b side.  

Net has been extended already.  Pay fucking attention....and take your infants/toddlers to the upper decks.  

I am so god damned tired of snowflakes in this world trying to make every single god damn experience 0.00% risk.  It ain't happening.  ZOMG LETS WRAP THE WHOLE STADIUM IN NETTING SO NO ONE CAN EVER GET HURT!!!!!!!!!!  Someone will still get hurt by a homer blasting off the signs above the Crawford boxes at some point and then we will have to change them so that the ball is absorbed into the facing of the wall/sign so that it can't bounce back and hit someone.  

Just pay attention and don't be an idiot and that solves many of the problems in the world.  

I feel like you're holding back on how you feel about this, Scraps.  You can let it all out here.  It's a safe space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

It falls on that kid’s parent that his kid got hit 

That's where I come down on this. I have 3 kids and a wife who is likely not going to be paying close attention to every pitch/batted ball. When we go to the game, my primary responsibility is their safety. That starts with my sitting closest to the action. I can't imagine allowing a ball to hit my daughter. I've caught several foul balls over the years. It's just a matter of paying attention. (Playing middle infield all my life probably doesn't hurt!)

there's so much WTF about tyler white's swing that it's not even comical anymore. he's front side flies way the fuck open on any pitch, unless it's middle-in, he's not gonna hit anything. and then when he does make contact, his shoulder drops so much that he's gonna lift any pitch he does hit, unless it's down and away. good luck catching up to anything middle away to up and away. throw in all the motion he has and it's not a real conducive stance. 

but the most egregious thing about him is he's fat. 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

100 percent this

That's where I come down on this. I have 3 kids and a wife who is likely not going to be paying close attention to every pitch/batted ball. When we go to the game, my primary responsibility is their safety. That starts with my sitting closest to the action. I can't imagine allowing a ball to hit my daughter. I've caught several foul balls over the years. It's just a matter of paying attention. (Playing middle infield all my life probably doesn't hurt!)

And you’ve never left your family in their seats during game action to go take a piss, concession stand, etc?

Not trying to be a dick... I get it.

I have a 4 and 6 yo and like you, I’m very aware of my seats and when we might be potentially in danger of a foul ball, etc

But to expect every single person to stay alert for every single pitch over 3+ hours isn’t realistic in the world we live in today.

Where does it stop? Idk.

But we’re probably getting more nets.

At least it will hopefully keep the idiots from reaching over and touching live balls that skirt just inside the 1st/3rd base bag.

We now return to our regularly scheduled White/Correa bashing.

13 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

there's so much WTF about tyler white's swing that it's not even comical anymore. he's front side flies way the fuck open on any pitch, unless it's middle-in, he's not gonna hit anything. and then when he does make contact, his shoulder drops so much that he's gonna lift any pitch he does hit, unless it's down and away. good luck catching up to anything middle away to up and away. throw in all the motion he has and it's not a real conducive stance. 

but the most egregious thing about him is he's fat. 

no.  i'm fine with him being fat.  there have been fat baseball players before.

the most egregious thing is that he's fat, but somehow he's a slap hitter.  his biggest hits this year (all 5 of them) have been bloop singles or well placed doubles.  we're talking about a guy slugging .303 here.  german marquez is slugging .363 and he's a pitcher.  he's the first pitcher i looked up because i have him in fantasy and saw he hit a triple the other day.

marquez has 9 rbi in 26 plate appearances.  white has 8 rbi in 125 pa.  white has 7 xbh and we're 1/3 of the way thru the season.

in the old days, the brewers or orioles or whomever would have some slow pitch softball looking guys.  they would hit .212 and knock 25-30 homers, and that's who they were.  white is fat and slow and can't hit homers.  i just don't understand what the point is anymore.  gattis off the street would be an improvement tomorrow.

Kaplan on the injuries
Correa probably all star break
For Altuve, hadn’t heard we’re looking at a week or two before starting up the rehab assignment again.

• Altuve (right leg soreness): Altuve’s left hamstring strain has healed, but the Astros pulled him off his rehab assignment after he reported an issue with his right leg. His right knee was surgically repaired in October, and it sounds as if he just needs to build strength in his leg to be able to push off in his swing.

“More than rest, he needs some strengthening in his lower half,” Hinch said. “He missed (watching) most of the game (Tuesday) just being in the weight room. They have some stabilization exercises they’re doing. They’re making sure that he has strength in both legs and both knees and that he can adequately play to the level at which we know he can play.”

Once his strength deficit is remedied — it could be a week or two yet — it’s likely Altuve will restart his minor-league rehab assignment. He played in back-to-back games for Triple-A Round Rock on Sunday and Monday before returning to Houston on Tuesday.

• George Springer (left hamstring strain): Springer, whose strain was of the Grade 2 severity, has already progressed to running but is still probably at least a couple of weeks from a minor-league rehab assignment. A return to the Astros’ lineup in the second half of June seems like a reasonable target.

• Aledmys Díaz (left hamstring strain): Díaz progressed to jogging Wednesday and said he’s feeling improvement. His most recent strain was worse than his initial strain, for which he avoided an IL stint altogether. Díaz is eligible to return June 6, the last day of the upcoming road trip to Oakland and Seattle. If he doesn’t return then, he should during the next homestand.

On T White, it was a good run by the FO to give him a chance to put up some sort of numbers that would justify a trade, but times up.
Can’t afford to continue to have another hole in the lineup with all the injuries.
Really wish they had worked more with Alvarez becoming a 1B

31 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Kaplan on the injuries
Correa probably all star break
For Altuve, hadn’t heard we’re looking at a week or two before starting up the rehab assignment again.

i'm not counting on anyone returning/contributing until the asb (except diaz probably).

33 games.  the season starts tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

no.  i'm fine with him being fat.  there have been fat baseball players before.

the most egregious thing is that he's fat, but somehow he's a slap hitter.  his biggest hits this year (all 5 of them) have been bloop singles or well placed doubles.  we're talking about a guy slugging .303 here.  german marquez is slugging .363 and he's a pitcher.  he's the first pitcher i looked up because i have him in fantasy and saw he hit a triple the other day.

marquez has 9 rbi in 26 plate appearances.  white has 8 rbi in 125 pa.  white has 7 xbh and we're 1/3 of the way thru the season.

in the old days, the brewers or orioles or whomever would have some slow pitch softball looking guys.  they would hit .212 and knock 25-30 homers, and that's who they were.  white is fat and slow and can't hit homers.  i just don't understand what the point is anymore.  gattis off the street would be an improvement tomorrow.

Speaking of SLG and White....

last night I was talking to 3putt and brought up that White's SLG is fucking LOWER than his OBP.  How is this even fucking possible unless you are a Willy T.  type player.  

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Speaking of SLG and White....

last night I was talking to 3putt and brought up that White's SLG is fucking LOWER than his OBP.  How is this even fucking possible unless you are a Willy T.  type player.  

as a long time fantasy baseball player and stat junkie, i immediately notice this type of thing.

it's extremely unusual, especially for someone like white.  even just for 15-30 day stretches, it's weird, and not a good sign.

it's the kind of thing that happens to guys like joey votto, who have a great eye, but might be struggling to get xbh.  votto has led the league in obp 7x and last year almost pulled it off (.417/.419).  even this season, hitting .242 with 4 homers, his slg is still higher (.340/.366).

52 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

And you’ve never left your family in their seats during game action to go take a piss, concession stand, etc?

Not trying to be a dick... I get it.

I have a 4 and 6 yo and like you, I’m very aware of my seats and when we might be potentially in danger of a foul ball, etc

But to expect every single person to stay alert for every single pitch over 3+ hours isn’t realistic in the world we live in today.

Where does it stop? Idk.

But we’re probably getting more nets.

At least it will hopefully keep the idiots from reaching over and touching live balls that skirt just inside the 1st/3rd base bag.

We now return to our regularly scheduled White/Correa bashing.

I'm fine with more netting. It's still my responsibility to protect my family. Both can coexist.

• Like 1

You assume the risk as a paying patron. There are certain parts of the park and time of game that i will absolutely not take my son to. When we have sat low towards field i sit on inside seat towards the hitter with a glove.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk