2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

i'm not one for gratuitous profanity, but that game was a fuck.

that said, morty and yarborough had me a little worried, and taking 2/3 is no joke.  also nice to see some of our quieter bats come to life, and good to see harris seems to be taking control of the setup role.  somebody's got to.

hopefully they'll get on the plane pissed off.  gotta keep that edge somehow.

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

5 balls, one strike, and that dipshit rings him up and then tosses him for calling him out on his bullshit. When the robots come, the umps will have no one to blame but themselves. 

EDK5za-WsAEReB-?format=jpg&name=medium

what was particularly aggravating was the distance between two different pitches that were both called strikes.  you wanna have a low zone, wide zone, tall zone, that's fine.  but earlier someone took a pitch inside half, and looked off the plate (whomever was throwing those crazy sliders that darted in at the last sec) but was called a strike.  then a couple pitches later, he got out and up (maybe on springer).  fuck that shit.

same with reddick and then springer.  you can't call down and away and then call up and away.

keep your bullshit consistent and maybe people won't call you names.

• Like 1

what was particularly aggravating was the distance between two different pitches that were both called strikes.  you wanna have a low zone, wide zone, tall zone, that's fine.  but earlier someone took a pitch inside half, and looked off the plate (whomever was throwing those crazy sliders that darted in at the last sec) but was called a strike.  then a couple pitches later, he got out and up (maybe on springer).  fuck that shit.
same with reddick and then springer.  you can't call down and away and then call up and away.
keep your bullshit consistent and maybe people won't call you names.

In the 2nd inning, i told my buddies at the game someone was getting tossed today.
Brantley was giving it to him in the first inning. I never see him talk to the ump.

I actually don’t want robots completely in charge of balls/strikes but I do want to see them help with what your describing.
MLB hitters are too good to have a standard set strike zone 162 games a year.
You’ll see average scores of 10-9 every game before long.
What i’d like to see is humans continue to be in charge and they get two innings for “machine learning” to learn that particular umps zone for the game.
Then after that, if a pitch is something like more than half the width of a ball outside of that and the ump calls it the wrong way, the computer overrides him and corrects him.

That way batters and pitchers still have to adjust to however an ump interprets the strike zone but you avoid shit like today where it’s a 50/50 call on which way a particular pitch is going to be called

34 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

In the 2nd inning, i told my buddies at the game someone was getting tossed today.
Brantley was giving it to him in the first inning. I never see him talk to the ump.

I actually don’t want robots completely in charge of balls/strikes but I do want to see them help with what your describing.
MLB hitters are too good to have a standard set strike zone 162 games a year.
You’ll see average scores of 10-9 every game before long.
What i’d like to see is humans continue to be in charge and they get two innings for “machine learning” to learn that particular umps zone for the game.
Then after that, if a pitch is something like more than half the width of a ball outside of that and the ump calls it the wrong way, the computer overrides him and corrects him.

That way batters and pitchers still have to adjust to however an ump interprets the strike zone but you avoid shit like today where it’s a 50/50 call on which way a particular pitch is going to be called

It will never work because umps can't stand being shown up.  NY won't even overturn obvious calls now on challenges.  Robo balls and strikes will have to be all or nothing.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Man that game was brutal

HRs from springer and Altuve, 5 RBIs from 7-9 in the order, and 10 BBs
Add it up, L

Bullpen has to get right

Hopefully James is fully recovered and ready to be lights out.
Ford said he’ll hopefully be back up next week. Pitching in Round Rock tonight

greinke wasn't great today either, he gave up 5.

this one isn't on the pen.  it's on devo.  it's time to go.  everyone else was fine.

Devo should never pitch unless it’s a blowout in either direction. We know he isn’t making the playoff roster. No sense in him pitching any meaningful innings especially when a game is on the line. Hinch needs to start running a tight ship. A month left to fine tune a well oiled machine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

AS shitty as devo was and is, lets not pass over the fact that Grienke has been absolutely underwhelming since coming over.  We likely lose Cole because of his acquisition, and that is going to suck worse than Devo if Grienke doesn't start to pitch markedly better in a hurry.  

What, he was 4-0 with a 2.45 era coming into this game.

Meanwhile, the bullpen

1st 2nd
Osuna 1.95 5.4
Devenski 4.7 5.12
Harris 1.67 1.47
Pressly 1.36 6.75
Rondon 3 5.19
McHugh 5.37 3.22
Smith - 1.69
Biagini - 5.19
Edited by HtownHorn