2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Vic Mackey

Not gonna lie, looking forward to watching the Warriors without KD again next season. They probably won't win the title next year, but hopefully they'll be fun to watch again. A little less angst (with Cousins gone too) and Steph having no choice but to be consistently show-stealing.

KD's approach this series is really interesting.  He's taking the hardest defensive challenge while deferring and passing to others to get their offensive games going.  He took 3 shots in the first half.  4 FTs, along with 4 rebounds and 4 assists.  He'd probably has another half dozen hockey assists.  It's like he's going Wilt Chamberlain and is bored with just scoring so he's going to do other things.  Letting Curry and Klay score more.  Looney has taken more shots!  Guess he figures he can turn it on whenever he wants.... Still really interesting and it's working.  He's +21.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not gonna lie, looking forward to watching the Warriors without KD again next season. They probably won't win the title next year, but hopefully they'll be fun to watch again. A little less angst (with Cousins gone too) and Steph having no choice but to be consistently show-stealing.

I'll check back when you're bounced in the 2nd round next year.... somehow, I think you'll be singing a different tune.  

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

KD's approach this series is really interesting.  He's taking the hardest defensive challenge while deferring and passing to others to get their offensive games going.  He took 3 shots in the first half.  4 FTs, along with 4 rebounds and 4 assists.  He'd probably has another half dozen hockey assists.  It's like he's going Wilt Chamberlain and is bored with just scoring so he's going to do other things.  Letting Curry and Klay score more.  Looney has taken more shots!  Guess he figures he can turn it on whenever he wants.... Still really interesting and it's working.  He's +21.

He was doing this the last month or so of the season as well. He had a couple of games that he was 5 for 6 or 6 for 8, but didn't keep shooting. I think everyone realizes this is the last ride, and KD is cool with letting other guys shine. Maybe "help" Steph get his long overdue Finals MVP.

...going to need him to be more aggressive against Houston though.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'll check back when you're bounced in the 2nd round next year.... somehow, I think you'll be singing a different tune.  

I can promise that you I won't be. This year was a fucking drag. I latch onto a team or player for the enjoyment of watching them play, not any personal satisfaction I get (none) from them winning it all. I enjoyed watching Golden State far more 6 years ago when they were upsetting Denver and giving San Antonio a run for their money than I do today.

Obviously, KD making them into the Death Star was awesome for a couple of years. That level of greatness on the same court may not happen again. But those moments of pure basketball excellence are fewer and far between. Another year of complacency and grumpiness if they bring the band back together isn't going to do much for me.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I can promise that you I won't be. This year was a fucking drag. I latch onto a team or player for the enjoyment of watching them play, not any personal satisfaction I get (none) from them winning it all. I enjoyed watching Golden State far more 6 years ago when they were upsetting Denver and giving San Antonio a run for their money than I do today.

Obviously, KD making them into the Death Star was awesome for a couple of years. That level of greatness on the same court may not happen again. But those moments of pure basketball excellence are fewer and far between. Another year of complacency and grumpiness if they bring the band back together isn't going to do much for me.

Their play hasn't regressed solely because of the different contract situations, it's mainly driven by the supporting cast is a few levels below what they've been in previous years and it's probably not going to change much considering how the salary cap works.  It reads like you just want to watch Curry run around a jack up 3's but when you're losing 3-1 to Utah next year and you're wondering why the team has almost as many turnovers as assists as Curry is having one of his rare off nights, we'll remind you that this is what you wanted.  It reads like you want something which will never be again because Curry will be 32 next playoffs and probably is going to start his slide soon.... I get it's fun when you're spunky underdogs with no history nor expectations, but those days are gone.  But I do think and really hope you get what you desire.... Warriors had a nice run.  It's probably time for it to end.

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Warriors/Clippers series making me wish the first round was still best out of 5.  Have a feeling the Bucks/Pistons series will be the same.

I hate best of 5. Flukes can happen in 5 game series but not 7. I'm not in any hurry to get the playoffs over with. The 1 vs 8 is usually pointless to watch any given year.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Fun to watch? Bless your heart, it must be hard to see your team go to probably 5 straight Finals and win 4 of them and 3 in a row. I'll say a prayer for you that this might be fun to watch next season.

Is this how most Warriors fans are? Jesus.

Woj up in here speculating like the rest of us.... DMC probably DOA.

I really liked the Bogut pickup for the Warriors as a 12 minute guy.  Only had to be healthy about 25 games too, although they are consecutively.   However, if Cousins is done, they may have to increase his minutes which will increase his propensity for injury (not really but you get what I mean).   Be pretty ironic if Bogut becomes the interior force the W's need to 3peat, especially after how bitter he was when traded.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Woj up in here speculating like the rest of us.... DMC probably DOA.

Kerr said that they're "devastated" for Boogie during the 3rd quarter break. Can't imagine he'd say that if there was any possibility at all that it's just a pull.

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

GS is better without KD who contaminates the offensive flow.  9 TOs tonight. 

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Holy shit, the Warriors had 45 free throws in the game, LAC had 31. I didn't get to watch it, but WTF happened?  I have never seen that many in a 48 minute game.

You must not remember the Spurs/Mavs playoff game from 2003.  Dallas won 113-110 and went 49/50 from the FT line.

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

GS is better without KD who contaminates the offensive flow.  9 TOs tonight. 

Please stop saying this. It is very dumb. Their celling isn't nearly as high without KD, even if the ball movement is sometimes better. I mean, shit, they scored 131 points; offense wasn't the problem.

Ain't nobody gets a reprieve when you blow a 31 point lead. They all sucked in the 2nd half. 

Including Kerr who, when Steph picked up his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter (who gives a fuck in a, at the time, 28 point game?) sat him, and started rolling out end of the bench guys, assuming the game was over. He should have rolled with the starters and usual rotations through the 3rd, then sat everyone in the 4th.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Please stop saying this. It is very dumb. Their celling isn't nearly as high without KD, even if the ball movement is sometimes better. I mean, shit, they scored 131 points; offense wasn't the problem.

Ain't nobody gets a reprieve when you blow a 31 point lead. They all sucked in the 2nd half. 

Including Kerr who, when Steph picked up his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter (who gives a fuck in a, at the time, 28 point game?) sat him, and started rolling out end of the bench guys, assuming the game was over. He should have rolled with the starters and usual rotations through the 3rd, then sat everyone in the 4th.

it's not just one game but 9TOs is Westbrook level. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn Al said:

You must not remember the Spurs/Mavs playoff game from 2003.  Dallas won 113-110 and went 49/50 from the FT line.

IIRC, it was Eduardo Najera that missed the only FT. But I thought the final score was 112-110 in OT. Not that it really matters.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Fuck Joel Embiid.    His ass should've got tossed for throwing that elbow.   Then laughing about it in the presser.   I hope someone clotheslines his fragile ass.

I thought it was very badass of Jarrett to eat that bow, then get up and clap and smile like it wasn't shit. That's how you fuck with Embiid.

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Holy shit, the Warriors had 45 free throws in the game, LAC had 31. I didn't get to watch it, but WTF happened?  I have never seen that many in a 48 minute game.

Cousins went out after 4 minutes. Durant fouled out with 2 minutes to play and 9 turnovers. Lou Will went nuclear. 

Not sure if they will be worse or not without DMC - seems like Durant has been sacrificing a lot of FGA lately with Cousins being an increasing focal point of their offense. 

I figured the Clips would take one game like this where they got hot and GS lapsed for wev reason - but to come back from 31 down is nuts. 

I'd be shocked if this series goes to 6. Don't think LA has the horses and KD is going to be out for blood in game 3. 

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Be pretty ironic if Bogut becomes the interior force the W's need to 3peat, especially after how bitter he was when traded.

The Ws do not need an "interior force" to 3peat. The West shouldn't be particularly difficult for them to get through - and while the Bucks or Raps would have HCA in the Finals I don't see MIL taking it this year. TOR is probably their most dangerous match-up, but, as the Magic have shown us, it's still the Raptors. 

That said, Durant needs to get his thumb out of his ass and take over. This cutesy team-ball shit he has been playing is nice, but not what they are going to need down the line. 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I thought it was very badass of Jarrett to eat that bow, then get up and clap and smile like it wasn't shit. That's how you fuck with Embiid.

The way he hit the ground I thought he was knocked out.   I couldn't believe he popped right back up like that.     That was definitely badass.   

The Clippers might not win another game in this series, but damn, last night goes a long ways towards attracting the Kawhis, Kyries, and even KDs of the league. They're one superstar and a couple of small pieces away from taking over LA, and being in the top tier of contenders.

I've never been a Doc guy, but he has done a tremendous job. And their front office is rock solid.