Israel

SmokeyBear1861

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

That's not all I'm saying. Nothing in the Middle East happens in a vacuum.

they could support the much smaller non-religious PFLP , which at one time was lead by a Palestinian Christian, and killed many Israeli Jews. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Fuck You 1

How many of you are aware of this practice/custom within the ultra orthodox Jewish community? Since having come to light, many in Israel have spoken out against the practice, except for BIbi’s security chief, who has endorsed it.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-761490

https://www.aol.com/israeli-police-arrest-five-following-132409235.html

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

How many of you are aware of this practice/custom within the ultra orthodox Jewish community? Since having come to light, many in Israel have spoken out against the practice, except for BIbi’s security chief, who has endorsed it.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-761490

https://www.aol.com/israeli-police-arrest-five-following-132409235.html

It's a well known and well documented activity in Jerusalem. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

It's a well known and well documented activity in Jerusalem. 

I’m not sure how well known it has been outside of Israel, but it makes sense of some things I observed while there.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I’m not sure how well known it has been outside of Israel, but it makes sense of some things I observed while there.

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I gotta say that it's certainly news to me.

Heh, maybe I overestimate awareness. It is well known among the armenian and greek christian communities in the holy land. An IDF soldier got into trouble for spitting on an Armenian bishop a few years back, some seminarians got into a fight with some haredi over it, and there have been numerous other instances of physical violence break out as a result. The clergy in the holy land have been filing complaints about the practice for a long time now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Heh, maybe I overestimate awareness. It is well known among the armenian and greek christian communities in the holy land. An IDF soldier got into trouble for spitting on an Armenian bishop a few years back, some seminarians got into a fight with some haredi over it, and there have been numerous other instances of physical violence break out as a result. The clergy in the holy land have been filing complaints about the practice for a long time now. 

Gotta love religious extremists, no matter the stripe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, speed817 said:

IMG-20240425-WA0000.jpg.930983f32cef03cfe88b1674a5707c2a.jpg

I guess Florida doesn't belong. Nor does LSU. Or Georgia. Same goes for Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

It's understood that we're joining up with the heart of the Old South for sports, but middle-aged message board meat-heads don't realize how out of touch they are with today's students and a changing world.

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

The average american had zero awareness of what was going on over there until a few months ago. Now, about half know what's going on and the other half is deliberately misinformed.

image.thumb.png.1f6f7e8ba941ec67d157192f2e641e53.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

image.thumb.png.1f6f7e8ba941ec67d157192f2e641e53.png

Both only really require some common sense. If you really dig in, maybe the former requires some semi-advanced understanding of epidemiology, biostatistics, and public health policy. The latter is pretty simple and obvious shit in contrast. One is certainly more objectively outcomes oriented. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Yeah it will blow his mind when he finds out who propped up Hamas in and before 2023

Hamas was founded in 1987 and was officially put on the US terror list in 1995.  In the 8 year span they blew up many buses, killing hundreds of Israeli Jews. So why the long wait to be on the terror list? Makes on wonder who is directing whom. 

• Fuck You 1

hey the sanctions on the wildass Israeli settlers are working!

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2024-04-22/ty-article/.premium/far-right-ben-gvir-advisor-sanctioned-by-u-s-tries-to-get-gas-finds-credit-card-blocked/0000018f-0507-d6a0-a9ef-c59f80130000

Far-right Advisor to Ben-Gvir Sanctioned by U.S. Tries to Get Gas, Finds Credit Card Blocked

Bentzi Gopstein was placed on the Biden administration's list of extremists subject to sanctions, along with the far-right group he leads, over the weekend. The card company must adhere to the law as it relates to him and act accordingly, says issuer CAL

• Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Hamas was founded in 1987 and was officially put on the US terror list in 1995.  In the 8 year span they blew up many buses, killing hundreds of Israeli Jews. So why the long wait to be on the terror list? Makes on wonder who is directing whom. 

Hamas was put on the FTO list in 1997 (not 1995) because that list and the authority to designate foreign terror organizations was authorized by an act passed in 1996 (The Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996). Prior to that there was no official FTO designation. Hamas was in the first tranche of designations, on October 8, along with Hizbollah and shining path all-stars.

https://www.state.gov/foreign-terrorist-organizations/

Although I suppose that could be because Israel/the Jews just waited to have that act passed, as you insinuate. Thanks for offering your deep and well-researched takes on the Middle East. Clearly you spent those 40 years usefully. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Hamas was put on the FTO list in 1997 (not 1995) because that list and the authority to designate foreign terror organizations was authorized by an act passed in 1996 (The Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996). Prior to that there was no official FTO designation. Hamas was in the first tranche of designations, on October 8, along with Hizbollah and shining path all-stars.

https://www.state.gov/foreign-terrorist-organizations/

Although I suppose that could be because Israel/the Jews just waited to have that act passed, as you insinuate. Thanks for offering your deep and well-researched takes on the Middle East. Clearly you spent those 40 years usefully. 

so i was off by a couple of years. Big deal. Keep scratching. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

not wrong at all.  

thanks for the google effort too. I knew my stuff off hand, off by a couple years, but still prime.

You “just asked the question” of why Hamas was not designated as an FTO for the first 8 (10) years of its existence and suggested that maybe Israel was pulling the strings.

The actual answer is simple— the law creating a U.S. FTO designation did not pass until 1996 and Hamas was one of the first groups so designated. Anyway this is wasted effort, I can’t dumb down this enough, obviously.  Back to your hot takes about how Gaza should be ethnically cleansed for the good of Palestinians, somehow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You “just asked the question” of why Hamas was not designated as an FTO for the first 8 (10) years of its existence and suggested that maybe Israel was pulling the strings.

The actual answer is simple— the law creating a U.S. FTO designation did not pass until 1996 and Hamas was one of the first groups so designated. Anyway this is wasted effort, I can’t dumb down this enough, obviously.  Back to your hot takes about how Gaza should be ethnically cleansed for the good of Palestinians, somehow. 

the US had dealt with 'terrorist groups' long before 1996, many in the 1980s - Abu Nidal the Palestinian was one of the most notorious. These were several loosely defined bad guys, Hamas wasn't included until much later. 

Secondly ethnic cleansing =/= voluntary migration for a better life. I'm glad you are paying attention to my posts , I don't remember anything particular about yours. 

44 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Secondly ethnic cleansing =/= voluntary migration for a better life.

Just stop with this. It is absurd. You make other arguments that are not absurd. More of those, less of these. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Just stop with this. It is absurd. You make other arguments that are not absurd. More of those, less of these. 

i need to have some really good reasons to back up that point of view.  

A One State solution, a common idea,  isn't preferred by Israel because too many Arabs , but if Gaza is excluded (also a common idea in the context of OSS) - Israel will more likely absorb the idea.  This is very plausible because 2 states is seriously absurd, keep kicking the can down the road (ie Arab suffering continues) and the Jews don't want a Palestinian Arab state next to them AT ALL. Nor will Israel ever respect a "Palestine" in the same way they do the sovereignty of Jordan or Egypt.  So the 2 state thing is becoming a sadistic and evil narrative, plays into the Zionist propaganda very easily, meaning "we can't find a partner for peace!".   I think you understand that.

so then what to do with Gaza if OSS sans Gaza is implemented?  Status quo no man's land forever? Keep in mind the population has tripled since 1982 and may double again in the next 30 years.  What is the future for them? Nothing. 

Best to leave. It's the humanitarian thing to do, despite the overblown optics of "ethnic cleansing".  Truly the perfect plan. Everyone gets a better life and this crazy conflict is over. 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I've dated Jewish women for twenty years and have been to Jerusalem many times. I did not know this. Learn something new every day.

Enshitification.

Site was so much better without all the Karens and Kevins.

5 of them on both political sides are a constant, never-ending beatdown for all the rest. It's a slog to read anything. 

Brian F, Taco...these people enshitify everything...constantly...for everyone. 

Just ban them all. I don't think many of these assholes went to UT, but they thread police a ridiculous amount of communication and discussion. It's insanity. 

Fuck you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, Walser said:

I've dated Jewish women for twenty years and have been to Jerusalem many times. I did not know this. Learn something new every day.

So you have a type?

The easy way to tell that none of this is about antisemitism is that we’ve seen thousands of antisemitic public rallies the past 8 years. The cops that show up are never violent with them and can often be seen joking around with Nazis and otherwise being friendly with them.

Meanwhile, this is how they treat a philosophy professor at Emory:

The only people cops aren’t this violent with are Nazis. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

So the key to a successful non-violent protest (i.e., not being beaten, cuffed and hauled off to the pokey) would seem to be showing up with AR-15s.  Is that how this is supposed to work?

• Rage+1 1

Really frustrating moment during an interview of John Kirby by Willie Geist on Morning Joe today. In what looked like a totally staged question, Geist mentioned accusations of Israel committing genocide in Gaza and asked Kirby if he’d seen evidence of genocide in Gaza. Kirby of course said no, no, there’s no evidence of genocide in Gaza. Israeli soldiers aren’t getting up every morning, putting on their boots and saying I’m going to see how many civilians I can kill today. (Not a direct quote but that was the gist.) So no, Willie, there’s no genocide.

Um, what about the tens of thousands of dead Palestinians? Women and children? More than 30 times as many Palestinians have been killed than Israelis who were killed by Hamas on 10/7. Cities have been leveled. They’re blocking aid and trying to starve the population. The killing isn’t about to stop. I see a whole lot of evidence of genocide.

I get the political reality, that you can’t say yes, they’re committing genocide. But Jesus, don’t be so fucking clumsy and transparent in your denial. That show gets pretty heavy-handed in their full-throated defense of Israel (while still being highly critical of Netanyahu).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

The easy way to tell that none of this is about antisemitism is that we’ve seen thousands of antisemitic public rallies the past 8 years. The cops that show up are never violent with them and can often be seen joking around with Nazis and otherwise being friendly with them.

that's seriously disturbing video

meanwhile Google fires everybody

https://apnews.com/article/google-israel-protest-workers-gaza-palestinians-96d2871f1340cb84c953118b7ef88b3f

Google fired at least 20 more workers in the aftermath of protests over technology the company is supplying the Israeli government amid the Gaza war, bringing the total number of terminated staff to more than 50, a group representing the workers said.

It’s the latest sign of internal turmoil at the tech giant centered on “Project Nimbus,” a $1.2 billion contract signed in 2021 for Google and Amazon to provide the Israeli government with cloud computing and artificial intelligence services.

Workers held sit-in protests last week at Google offices in New York and Sunnyvale, California. The company responded by calling the police, who made arrests.

The group organizing the protests, No Tech For Apartheid, said the company fired 30 workers last week — higher than the initial 28 they had announced.

Then, on Tuesday night, Google fired “over 20” more staffers, “including non-participating bystanders during last week’s protests,” said Jane Chung, a spokeswoman for No Tech For Apartheid, without providing a more specific number.

“Google’s aims are clear: the corporation is attempting to quash dissent, silence its workers, and reassert its power over them,” Chung said in a press release. “In its attempts to do so, Google has decided to unceremoniously, and without due process, upend the livelihoods of over 50 of its own workers.”

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

So the key to a successful non-violent protest (i.e., not being beaten, cuffed and hauled off to the pokey) would seem to be showing up with AR-15s.  Is that how this is supposed to work?

Not sure about supposed to. But here we are. 

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

Thanks to the 2A, if this is the reality, your guns help ensure rights encroached by the gubmint.

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Thanks to the 2A, if this is the reality, your guns help ensure rights encroached by the gubmint.

There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

Yep.  Not sure if BeardIP's comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think things will work out the same if guys in keffiyehs start showing up to protests "exercising their 2nd Amendment rights."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Well we know that if a single AR-15 were there, DPS would still be waiting to enter campus

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The cops are being thugs but she got into the middle of their arrest. It's doubtful that they knew she was a professor and I'm uncertain how her job title would impact their orders.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The cops are being thugs but she got into the middle of their arrest. It's doubtful that they knew she was a professor and I'm uncertain how her job title would impact their orders.

she didn't, the cop could simply have pulled her to the side without grinding her into the concrete. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, her screaming out “I have tenure” wasn’t gonna move the needle.  But in the end, have some modicum of situational awareness, Atlanta PD.  Yeah, she got somewhat near your arrest but never made physical contact.  Two huge men threw and pinned down a tiny, unarmed woman into concrete.  That’s all they happened.  And for little to no reason.  

• Haha 1