[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Appears Cal Poly is really fucking bad. Pitching is probably not as bad as this weekend, but Pierce being the pitching coach was a horrible idea from the start.

No it was actually the best idea imo. A large portion of his baseball chops comes from his knowledge of pitching. If the ship goes down with pitching being the main breaking point, then it will be because he didn’t live up to his own set standard and the writing could be on the wall as to what should happen next. 

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There needs to be an expectations reality check along with everything else being discussed. This program deserves high standards but we’ve won 4 titles in the last 50 years. As much as it sounds cool to say winning championships is the standard it very much is not.  

USC, LSU, Cal State Fullerton, Texas, and . . . ?

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There needs to be an expectations reality check along with everything else being discussed. This program deserves high standards but we’ve won 4 titles in the last 50 years. As much as it sounds cool to say winning championships is the standard it very much is not.  

My yearly expectations are win the conference and host. Then let the chips fall where they may. Baseball is weird. I thought we had a national title level team in ‘06 and ‘10. Just the way baseball is

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

My yearly expectations are win the conference and host. Then let the chips fall where they may. Baseball is weird. I thought we had a national title level team in ‘06 and ‘10. Just the way baseball is

My yearly expectation is we go to Omaha. And that’s what it should be. Acting like we should win the thing every year just ignores reality though. DP has met expectations with his ability to get to Omaha. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I know that the percentage of wins in Omaha and national titles have fallen off the table since pierce took over.
I've seen enough. 

Go look at the last 5 years of the Augie era. And lol at national titles falling off the table. Haven’t won one in almost 20 years and that includes the 12 years before Pierce arrived.

Edited by Hookem2147

41 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

My yearly expectation is we go to Omaha. And that’s what it should be. Acting like we should win the thing every year just ignores reality though. DP has met expectations with his ability to get to Omaha. 

I mean we’re kind of saying the same thing. Hosting means we’re pretty damn good to great which gives us a pretty good shot of making it to Omaha

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I know that the percentage of wins in Omaha and national titles have fallen off the table since pierce took over.
I've seen enough. 

To be fair it fell off during late Augie.

We have lost a lot of luster as a national program. 

The base expectation is that, most years, we should have the talent to get to Omaha with a shot to win it all.  That doesn't mean we get there.  Baseball can be fluky so you hardly ever do win it all, and sometimes don't even get there, even if you meet this base expectation of talent level.   The problem is, we have not had the talent to win it all except for maybe 1 of Pierce's years as far as I can remember.  (Maybe the Covid year would have been 2.)  Him getting there, despite the talent being a notch below elite, was evidence of good coaching.   But not looking like we belong among the elite, in all except one year, is not acceptable.   This year we do not look like we have the talent to even sniff a title.  Part of that is youth.   But in this era, youth is not an acceptable excuse.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Too soon? Absolutely. Revisit if we don’t make the tournament. Do not melt down if we lose to aggy. 

That’s going really piss me off if we do though. Can’t stand those mouthy cocksuckers. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo20 said:

Assuming, or hypothetically if CDC fires Pierce after the season. Who would be the candidates to replace him? Schlossnagle? O'Sullivan? Who else?

He's not getting fired. 

29 minutes ago, petscii said:

If we had lost luster then they'd not be celebrating beating us.  

In much the same way football hqd lost luster. We weren't regularly attracting as many top recruits, in no small part because Augie wasn't using the latest and greatest technologies that kids were getting used to in club if not high school ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Schlossnagle would be hilarious. And..he would kill it here. 

Should have been the hire when Augie retired. But our AD at the time was so dickless 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

Schlossnagle hates Texas. He will never coach here.

And his team dogpiling on the Longhorn logo took the chances from .001% to .000%. There are still people who won’t ever forgive that.

Also, A&M’s NIL in baseball is strong.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Making it to Omaha isn’t our standard. Winning in Omaha and bringing home national titles is the threshold. 
Don’t compromise. 

it’s almost 20 years since you beat some team in the finals… I’m drawing a blank here….in 2005.  

If it was hard in the past, it just got much harder with NIL and transfer portal nonsense.   LSU is in a unique situation.   It has one of the best facilities in the country, but perhaps more importantly they have sold out games and a huge number of rabid fans who follow them around the country.   The Gators have a nice new park now, but it saddens me to see seats that are empty and not enough love from the students.     I think that gives LSU the leg up every year.

Last year we had the bats, but the pitching was not there. Hell, we had to fight out of the losers bracket in our own damn park.  Other years we had good aces and deep bullpens, but a bunch of bats in a slump.   Maybe this year we will get it together. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pierce’s six years have been pretty similar to the last six years of Augie, which was a drop off in the program’s historical performance. The program has slipped.

It’s no secret I have never liked Pierce as the coach. Pierce has this year and next year to demonstrate improvement, or will likely be looking for another job imo. 

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Pierce’s six years have been pretty similar to the last six years of Augie, which was a drop off in the program’s historical performance. The program has slipped.

It’s no secret I have never liked Pierce as the coach. Pierce has this year and next year to demonstrate improvement, or will likely be looking for another job imo. 

Eh, Augie didn’t make the postseason 3 of the last 6 with 2 being WS appearances and 1 regional. Pierce has made the postseason 5 out of 6 with 3 WS appearances, 1 super regional and 1 regional. Augie isn’t getting fired if he replaces his last 6 seasons with Pierce’s first 6 seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is pussy mentality. We are arguably a top 3 program all time. Expectations should always be national championships. When that becomes not an expectation then the program is fucked and falls into "just making it to the CWS is a good season" group think

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

It seems we are okay with just winning regular season titles....I wish we'd do more in the conference tourney and play like we want to win the  mother fucker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Such bullshit.....complacent excuses.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It seems we are okay with just winning regular season titles....I wish we'd do more in the conference tourney and play like we want to win the  mother fucker

Conference tournaments mean nothing. It’s a money grab so they can put the championship game on ESPN. The regular season champion is the conference champion. You play 30 games over the course of 2.5 months and the first place team is the champion.

Augie was notorious for throwing no name guys with the hope they could get out there ASAP without burning real pitching. The committee doesn’t care about them outside of the auto bids from small conferences.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Except not at all. I don’t remember Augie winning the conference or hosting post 2012 (other than the super in 2014). We’d look ok to start the year then get ass raped in conference and finish like 6th or 7th or something. Nothing was more frustrating than the 2015 team. Returned an ocean of starters from the ‘14 team and we just shit the bed. Simple as that. 

So no. Not “pretty similar” at all. Now the program has dipped, I guess. But we’ve still won the conference 3 of the last 4 seasons and have gone to Omaha 3 of the last 5 full seasons. So yeah. Nothing like Augie’s last few years 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pierce will not win a natty at Texas.  He'll do enough to not get fired for awhile - a Super/CWS appearance every couple of years - but he will not win a championship.  He's just not the guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Schlossnagle hates Texas. He will never coach here.

And his team dogpiling on the Longhorn logo took the chances from .001% to .000%. There are still people who won’t ever forgive that.

Also, A&M’s NIL in baseball is strong.

Plus he's an asshole.

Just think back to his dugout interview (live) last yr and his comments about LBJ during the aggy game. Fuck him.

My best friend from high school, his son was offered and played for him... Pierce (just hired) also offered but he landed up going there. Schloss pretty much fucked him over for two years, so he turned in his scholarship and transferred.

5 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Pierce will not win a natty at Texas.  He'll do enough to not get fired for awhile - a Super/CWS appearance every couple of years - but he will not win a championship.  He's just not the guy.

I think he can. We were a cunt hair away from winning it all in ‘21. And that was with a roster he assembled. He can assemble another roster like that again. Shit look at our freshman and next couple recruiting classes. We’re gonna be 02-09 level of talent here pretty soon. 

2 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

My best friend from high school, his son was offered and played for him... Pierce (just hired) also offered but he landed up going there. Schloss pretty much fucked him over for two years, so he turned in his scholarship and transferred.

Porter Brown?

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Plus he's an asshole.

Just think back to his dugout interview (live) last yr and his comments about LBJ during the aggy game. Fuck him.

He is a huge asshole based on the stories I’ve heard when he was at TCU. But he’s just another one on the list. Jay Johnson, Dave Van Horn, Tadlock are all known assholes so that’s why it’s a big whatever when people try to say Pierce is tough to play for and work for. Most good coaches are. They aren’t your friend.

I also heard last year that Schlossnagle and his pitching coach (Yeskie) were barely even on speaking terms by the end of the season because how much he was micromanaging. He was secretly hoping Yeskie would go to LSU when that job opened up.

13 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I think he can. We were a cunt hair away from winning it all in ‘21. And that was with a roster he assembled. He can assemble another roster like that again. Shit look at our freshman and next couple recruiting classes. We’re gonna be 02-09 level of talent here pretty soon. 

Porter Brown?

Recruiting has been his weakness. I like what I see from this freshman class. 

54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Conference tournaments mean nothing. It’s a money grab so they can put the championship game on ESPN. The regular season champion is the conference champion. You play 30 games over the course of 2.5 months and the first place team is the champion.

Augie was notorious for throwing no name guys with the hope they could get out there ASAP without burning real pitching. The committee doesn’t care about them outside of the auto bids from small conferences.

If a conference championship means we get a national seed and chance to host supers then yes they mean something. Loser mentality. 

41 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

THIS ^^^

If you put in and accomplish the work during the season, there is NO reason to be in the post season conference tourney. You are playing games and using people up when you should be RESTING. Even Pat Combs (color guy today) mentioned this during today's game when talking about the SEC tourney and most likely going to a 2 game loss and then out format with the expansion. He talked about  playing extra games (for some needlessly)  instead of resting up for regionals and supers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Levi said:

Eh, Augie didn’t make the postseason 3 of the last 6 with 2 being WS appearances and 1 regional. Pierce has made the postseason 5 out of 6 with 3 WS appearances, 1 super regional and 1 regional. Augie isn’t getting fired if he replaces his last 6 seasons with Pierce’s first 6 seasons. 

Augie also had 5 CWS titles, Pierce has 0.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Augie also had 5 CWS titles, Pierce has 0.

And it took him 5 years to get number 3. And no I’m not saying Pierce is Augie. Just sometimes it takes a sec to get the right players in and all that shit 

Anyone subscribe to d1baseball.com? If anyone would know who would be a potential candidate for Texas, if the job should become available, it would be Kendall Rogers. It would be interesting to pose that question to him.

• Like 1

Just now, Bevo20 said:

Anyone subscribe to d1baseball.com? If anyone would know who would be a potential candidate for Texas, if the job should become available, it would be Kendall Rogers. It would be interesting to pose that question to him.

Kind of depends. Are you talking after this year or in 2-4 years down the line? 

4 minutes ago, Bevo20 said:

Because I’m sure he would openly mention candidates by name in March for a job that isn’t even open

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Porter Brown?

No. 

Pierce had just been hired and this was his first yr here. 

This was just before NIL and all the transfer portal BS.

Schloss played him only enough to burn his eligibility, that's it (can't remember if it was one yr or two). I've never told my friend, but I have no doubt he was signed by Schloss to keep him from coming here and playing. Don't want to say too much more (doxxing aholes) but he would have played and contributed for sure here with what happened to us that season.

To be able to play right away, and knowing his bridge was burned here, he made a phone call to a smaller (D2 with a good program and history) school's Coach that knew him (and had also offered when he was in HS) if something might still be available. The Coach told him immediately the offer still stood so he went there and started for 2 yrs. Didn't get drafted but I know he did play some Independent league ball in Iowa and Idaho (?) for a season or two. He's a hitting coach at a D3 (also with a good baseball rep) now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Except not at all. I don’t remember Augie winning the conference or hosting post 2012 (other than the super in 2014). We’d look ok to start the year then get ass raped in conference and finish like 6th or 7th or something. Nothing was more frustrating than the 2015 team. Returned an ocean of starters from the ‘14 team and we just shit the bed. Simple as that. 

So no. Not “pretty similar” at all. Now the program has dipped, I guess. But we’ve still won the conference 3 of the last 4 seasons and have gone to Omaha 3 of the last 5 full seasons. So yeah. Nothing like Augie’s last few years 

Yea I stand corrected. I was going from memory and his similar six year stretch wasn’t the last six. It’s a few years off. The point I was trying to make is that Augie at the end was not leading a competitive program, and Piece still hasn’t returned it to the stronger performance of the earlier Augie and Gus years. Maybe the program never gets back to that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yea I stand corrected. I was going from memory and his similar six year stretch wasn’t the last six. It’s a few years off. The point I was trying to make is that Augie at the end was not leading a competitive program, and Piece still hasn’t returned it to the stronger performance of the earlier Augie and Gus years. Maybe the program never gets back to that. 

Another elephant in the room is college baseball is much different than the Gus/early Augie years. Way more programs are investing resources and money into baseball, especially in the south. NIL has leveled the playing field and more HS kids are also ending up on college campuses with the MLB draft being shortened a while back.

It is harder to win now than ever before. Which again goes back to the expectations post. Augie Garrido went to Omaha 8 times in 20 years, winning it all twice. Yet comments from some seem to be that winning championships is the standard and making it to Omaha is just meh. No one wants to hear it but almost half our CWS appearances came pre-1975 when only like 24 total teams made the postseason and you only had to win your “region”.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here