[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

30 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This was a big win for Pierce today. If Texas beats UVA on Thursday and we make the bracket finals it will show he belongs here. We don't go to Omaha just to be there.

Today he managed his ass off and the boys played well total 180 from Sunday where he might as well have gone and had a beer with OccupyLF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Meh…point remains. It’s not like Ivan was a pinch hitter he put out there. 

To be clear I don’t want him fired but he can be frustrating. 

Point definitely remains. 8th inning pitching management was really, really bad. Let’s hope Ivan bailed him out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching your pitcher struggle with control and then let him issue a bases loaded 4 pitch walk with 1 out that late in the game is pretty fucking unforgivable. 

Our season should be over but thankfully he got bailed out by the team. That level of brainlock cannot happen again.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

Pierce isn't a perfect coach. And maybe he should get some help on in game decisions. But he has put together a hell of a team. And, if not for 2020 being cancelled, I'm pretty sure this would have been our third time in Omaha in four years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Watching your pitcher struggle with control and then let him issue a bases loaded 4 pitch walk with 1 out that late in the game is pretty fucking unforgivable. 

Our season should be over but thankfully he got bailed out by the team. That level of brainlock cannot happen again.

Why should our season by over? Do we forfeit if it goes to extras or something? 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

He did make a bad decision with Witt tonight. He also got this team to the final four. You johnny come latelys need to go lick your own taints. 

And there's no reason we won't be better next year. 

Still scratching my hungover head about last night's call to not pull Witt.  I get trying to give the kid some confidence but that should have been before the 2nd walk, not leaving him in for the 3rd in a row. Was it that obvious to everyone else or was I just using angry drunk logic incorrectly?  Bats picked him up though....

Edited by ballrific

4 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Still scratching my hungover head about last night's call to not pull Witt.  I get trying to give the kid some confidence but that should have been before the 2nd walk, not leaving him in for the 3rd in a row. Was it that obvious to everyone else or was I just using angry drunk logic incorrectly?

It was a fuckup, one I'm sure Pierce would own if he hasn't already. But it's a pretty common mistake. Very rarely does an elite pitcher want to come out; when given the option, they'll always tell the coach they've got this.

Pierce's blunder was not trusting his instinct. It happens. Thankfully, our players didn't quit like some of the fans. They immediately retook the lead and won the fucking game. At this stage, everybody's gotta pick up everybody else, including the coach. He's still done a great job overall.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

At this stage, everybody's gotta pick up everybody else, including the coach. He's still done a great job overall.

He has considering Texas is in Omaha for second time in three seasons (not counting 2020) and made good showings in both.  

10 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

He has considering Texas is in Omaha for second time in three seasons (not counting 2020) and made good showings in both.  

agreed that he's done a great job overall.  we didn't really make a good showing in 2018 but we got there.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

agreed that he's done a great job overall.  we didn't really make a good showing in 2018 but we got there.

Getting that 2018 team to Omaha was pretty amazing. Yeah yeah Kody going all video game mode. But anyone remember our bullpen? Fuckin Andy McGuire as our closer after Ridgeway lost it. Parker joe and Sawyer playing major roles. Hamilton going from an auto out in 2017 to a .300ish hitter the next year. Filled in some gaps with DJ, Hibbeler and Duke Ellis. Just an awesome season all around. And guys like Stehly, Powell and Campbell probably would’ve started or played significantly in 2018. Now they’re our backups. Keep bringing in talent and developing pitchers like Pierce has, and we’re gonna be just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 4

42 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Good fucking god 

Inorite? Fans of all teams are like this, but sometimes, it seems like we have some of the worst out there.

Anyway, please don't fire Pierce. He might want to consider relinquishing a few in-game decisions to someone else, but overall, he's doing a great job. This year was a lot of fun. We should be loaded for another deep run next season!

• Hook 'Em 3

Obviously he doesn’t need to be fired or anything but pitching management and 3rd base coaching hasn’t been stellar. 
He’s fine. I get why he was our 5th choice and not our first. 
If he’s not our standard it’s because our standard is ridiculous in college baseball and we are royalty. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Inorite? Fans of all teams are like this, but sometimes, it seems like we have some of the worst out there.

Anyway, please don't fire Pierce. He might want to consider relinquishing a few in-game decisions to someone else, but overall, he's doing a great job. This year was a lot of fun. We should be loaded for another deep run next season!

Loaded? We are losing Antico, Williams, Zubia, Stevens, and Madden.

1 minute ago, Tracer Bullet said:

For Pierce

Rule #1: If there is a slight hint that pulling the pitcher might be the right move, then pull the pitcher

Rule #2: If you or the pitching coach have to go to the mound, pull the fucking pitcher you goddamn fucking retard

For who? Seriously pull him for who?

Just now, chase25 said:

If he is talking about Stevens fair enough but I’m seeing people say he is an idiot for not pulling Quintanilla which is just stupid.

Oh we were close to out of options by then. It was the 6th - blew it there with not pulling him. Just so frustrating 

19 minutes ago, chase25 said:

If he is talking about Stevens fair enough but I’m seeing people say he is an idiot for not pulling Quintanilla which is just stupid.

We lost a run not pulling Stevens in the bottom of the 6th

Don't get me fucking started on yesterday's game

Edited by Tracer Bullet
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Loaded? We are losing Antico, Williams, Zubia, Stevens, and Madden.

replacing antico(he was a damn good leadoff hitter) and madden will be difficult.  If he can't replace the other 3 we have the wrong coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

replacing antico(he was a damn good leadoff hitter) and madden will be difficult.  If he can't replace the other 3 we have the wrong coach.

And I don’t see Williams or Stevens leaving but who knows. I like that our catcher, shortstop, 2ndbaseman, right fielder, Witt and our closer were all freshman this last year. Yeah yeah whatever Faltine and Silas were redshirts but still. And we’re adding another badass recruiting class. We’re gonna be just fine 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here