[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well, the facts are that under the current format, and before Pierce, Texas hosted a regional 9 out of 18 years.  Under Pierce, not counting the covid year and assuming we don't host this, year Texas will have hosted 3 out of 7 years.

7.1428571428571% Fewer!

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well, the facts are that under the current format, and before Pierce, Texas hosted a regional 9 out of 18 years.  Under Pierce, not counting the covid year and assuming we don't host this, year Texas will have hosted 3 out of 7 years.

Of course it's pretty much written in stone we won't host this year, so 3 of 7.

I think next year will be an incredible wild card season -- if we can compete in the SEC and actually host a regional, then all (most) is forgiven in my mind.

Posted (edited)

Something I never thought would be written about Texas Longhorns baseball...

Louisiana is the second seed in the region and the Longhorns are third.

The Aggies will play Grambling in the first game of the double-elimination regional at noon on Friday, and Texas will play Louisiana at 5 p.m. Friday.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The Aggies will play Grambling in the first game of the double-elimination regional at noon on Friday, and Texas will play Louisiana at 5 p.m. Friday.

We went 0-2 in a regional that was won by 4 seeded VCU and hosted by Dallas Baptist

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, chase25 said:

The over dramatic hyperbole about this team being a disgrace to Texas baseball is tiresome.

So Texas baseball as a #3 seed behind  Louisiana as #2 seed isn't embarrassing??

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I believe we were a 3 seed twice under Augie. Louisiana is a good ball club that has a great coach. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas Baseball: Nothing is embarrassing, midweeks don't matter, conference tourneys don't matter!

Early season mlb stadium tournaments don't matter

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So Texas baseball as a #3 seed behind  Louisiana as #2 seed isn't embarrassing??

Tbh, we are a 2 seed that got fucked over and given a 3 seed. WE are better than UL. They have beaten precisely nobody this year. I expect us to win that game. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah "fucked over" by our HC for dog shit play during midweeks and the tourney that apparently doesn't matter.

Go look at our resume and then look at UL, we have a better team. If we lose to them on Friday. I will be full steam ahead on the fire Pierce train. 

14 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Before Pierce Texas won the CWS every year

This. There is one guy on here who thinks we win the CWS every year. He has no response when he finds out we have only won 6x.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Go look at our resume and then look at UL, we have a better team. If we lose to them on Friday. I will be full steam ahead on the fire Pierce train. 

Our own fault....don't leave it up to committee. Create your own results by being better.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

This. There is one guy on here who thinks we win the CWS every year. He has no response when he finds out we have only won 6x.

We went 700+ days without a conference series win under the previous coach. Y'all are out of your damn minds.

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You promise?

58 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

If we win the regional, has he earned the right to stay?

Oh My God Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

56 minutes ago, petscii said:

We went 700+ days without a conference series win under the previous coach. Y'all are out of your damn minds.

Yeah 2012-2016 was dark with the exception of 2014. Of course that team was frustrating as hell too, but they got hot at the right time. And of course gave us hope for 2015 but nope. They couldn’t hit a beach ball. 2016 was hopeless all around. We pretty much knew we were fucked then Cal came to town and fucked our shit up in 4 games. Fun times. 

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah 2012-2016 was dark with the exception of 2014. Of course that team was frustrating as hell too, but they got hot at the right time. And of course gave us hope for 2015 but nope. They couldn’t hit a beach ball. 2016 was hopeless all around. We pretty much knew we were fucked then Cal came to town and fucked our shit up in 4 games. Fun times. 

Don’t worry when you get older stuff like this is less memorable.  Some stuff seems like yesterday but not all of it.

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Don’t worry when you get older stuff like this is less memorable.  Some stuff seems like yesterday but not all of it.

I don’t remember 5 minutes ago yet I remember the likes of Joe Baker and Michael Cantu swinging with their eyes closed as we routinely lost games 2-1 for fucking 5 years. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

Augie won it all 6 years into his tenure - 2002.  Gus won it all 8 years into his tenure - 1975. Both coaches were unequivocally at at the top of their game at that juncture with multiple runner up finishes and both with another title soon there after. Pierce is in his 8th season and a national title isn’t anywhere on the horizon, he’s not going to make anyone’s top 10 coaching list, and most of us are hoping merely for a respectable year next year. He’s had his chance, it’s time to move on.

Oh for fuck's sake.

Too many pussies in our fanbase.

I mean why even compare pierce to the past or anything outside the walls of Bellmont. 

He's easily the worst active coach, including Rodney Terry. That's grounds enough to be fired this isn't complicated. David Pierce is not up to the standard for UT athletics, fuck everyone else and fuck the past. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean why even compare pierce to the past or anything outside the walls of Belmont. 

He's easily the worst active coach, including Rodney Terry. That's grounds enough to be fired this isn't complicated. David Pierce is not up to the standard for UT athletics, fuck everyone else and fuck the past. 

Barry Strong Women GIF by HBO

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean why even compare pierce to the past or anything outside the walls of Bellmont. 

So, what has Rodney Terry done to be considered better than Pierce? This outta be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

He's bad but he definitely has a better pedigree than Terry. Omaha is basically like making the Elite 8 in basketball. Terry has one Elite 8 that carries an asterisk and then a flame out in the second round. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

He's bad but he definitely has a better pedigree than Terry. Omaha is basically like making the Elite 8 in basketball. Terry has one Elite 8 that carries an asterisk and then a flame out in the second round. 

Cool cool. So he's probably as bad or in the same conversation as Rodney Terry who everyone also wants fired. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A love how the Pierce apologists are now shifting their argument to saying that because Texas held onto Augie too long and Texas struggled in his later years, that somehow justifies not meeting the appropriate Texas standard in baseball now. The only pussies on this thread are the apologists. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Cool cool. So he's probably as bad or in the same conversation as Rodney Terry who everyone also wants fired. 

Okay, look people. I am not convinced of the trajectory of the program but you all need to get this shit through your heads because you are missing some things. 

Pierce took over in 2017. 

We have made it to Omaha 3 times in that stretch (and COVID robbed us of an appearance in 2020). He made a regional in 2017, missed the playoffs in 2019, and in 2023 we lost in the supers. 

Dave Van Horn in that same stretch from 2017 to now has 3 CWS appearances, has lost three regionals, and lost two supers. 

Tennessee has appeared in two CWS in that same period of time. 

LSU has been in two of them. 

He has been effective at achieving postseason success. He is far from a shit coach and most teams would kill for our success the last few seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

A love how the Pierce apologists are now shifting their argument to saying that because Texas held onto Augie too long and Texas struggled in his later years, that somehow justifies not meeting the appropriate Texas standard in baseball now. The only pussies on this thread are the apologists. 

No it’s because according to yours and others “standards” Augie had 5 good years out of 20 at Texas

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s ok y’all can call me a pussy. But I draw the line at cunt.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So, what has Rodney Terry done to be considered better than Pierce? This outta be fun. 

Hey Fletcher can you tell me which Texas coach took over the team with the lowest winning percentage from the prior staff in the previous season?  Current coaches, not historically speaking.

Edited by Had Enough

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

No it’s because according to yours and others “standards” Augie had 5 good years out of 20 at Texas

No because within 6 years he won it all, had the program ready to rake for a while, and was the best coach in the sport at our university, same for Gus (8 years). Their pinnacle was higher than DP’s.

I’ve lost confidence that DP can win it all here and once that’s not possible it’s time to go. If it is possible I can be patient. Same was the case with Gus and Augie. The problem there is how hard it is to fire legends. DP is no legend and Texas is not at the apex of the sport going into his 9th year. 

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Hey Fletcher can you tell me which Texas coach took over the team with the lowest winning percentage from the prior staff in the previous season?  Current coaches, not historically speaking.

If it’s DP guess what, it’s 100% his program 8 years in. 8 years ago means squat.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not this again. We’re talking about firing a guy that has 3 trips to the college World Series, hosted regional/super regionals, multiple conference titles, golden spikes winner, and a solid number of high draft picks. Terry and Pierce are not even remotely the same. And frankly the historical standard that we hold each program to is not close either. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, troph said:

I’ve lost confidence that DP can win it all here and once that’s not possible it’s time to go. If it is possible I can be patient. Same was the case with Gus and Augie. The problem there is how hard it is to fire legends. DP is no legend and Texas is not at the apex of the sport going into his 9th year. 

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, troph said:

No because within 6 years he won it all, had the program ready to rake for a while, and was the best coach in the sport at our university, same for Gus (8 years). Their pinnacle was higher than DP’s.

If it’s DP guess what, it’s 100% his program 8 years in. 8 years ago means squat.

troph is a fax machine

For the apologist, answer these two questions.

Do you think Pierce has what it takes to win the SEC?

Do you think Pierce has what it takes to win a title?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

Pierce is in his 8th season and a national title isn’t anywhere on the horizon,

He has coached 8 seasons here. No team in college baseball made it to the CWS in 2020, and 2024 is still going. He has made it to the CWS 3 of his 6 seasons with a 3rd place finish in 2021. In 80 years of CWS, Texas has made it 38 times.

Posted (edited)

He’s not at the level of Augie or Gus at their peak, but who could we get that is.  Convince me that there is someone out that’s a sure thing. Pierce could for sure win a title with the right talent.  Name the last coach that won a title without the talent.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, immamac said:

But he’s not as bad or even in the same conversation as Terry. And yes, unless we pull a ‘22 ole miss, I’m out on Pierce. God damn. This whole acting like Pierce is some baseball combo of Charlie, Mackovich and Weltlich is fucking nuts. 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He’s not at the level of Augie or Gus at their peak, but who could we get that is.  Convince that there is someone out that’s a sure thing.

This x1000, remember when we fired Mack Brown because he wasn't our "standard" (in a season where we were one game away from winning a Big 12 title) and then we turned around and royally fucked up the hire. We proceeded to wander in the desert for a decade. 

I can put up with the results of Pierce for another couple of years if we are just firing him for some Charlie Strong level chump. 

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve leaned to letting him go for a while now. But there is this small part of me that believes if he were to somehow save his job this year and then make it an ole miss type run next year (in the sense the fan base wants him fired not necessarily we would be one of the last four teams in like ole miss was), I don’t think we would still want him fired two years post winning the World Series like ole miss is in right now. It would probably be more of getting over the hump and good things continue to snowball for the program. The problem is I don’t see that happening with him as the pitching coach and not being able to attract good assistants. 

Lets visit Pierce's CWS appearances:

2018: 6-1(L), 11-5(L)
2021: I'll give Pierce credit for this year because it was a good year
2022: 7-3(L), 10-2(L)

Outside of 2021 David Pierce Texas teams have been outscored at the CWS series 34-11 

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He’s not at the level of Augie or Gus at their peak, but who could we get that is.  Convince that there is someone out that’s a sure thing. Pierce could for sure win a title with the right talent.  Name the last coach that won a title without the talent.

So because there is not a "sure thing" which there never is we should stick with a guy who has peaked just because? Why is that? Why not try someone who has better resuem at time of hiring than what Pierce had at his time of hiring? Give said person the resources and talent that Pierce has had and lets see.....but keeping Pierce to keep Pierce because there isn't an Augie out there is fucking retarded.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

troph is a fax machine

For the apologist, answer these two questions.

Do you think Pierce has what it takes to win the SEC?

Do you think Pierce has what it takes to win a title?

Yes I do think he can win in the SEC. 

Yes I do think he can win a title. We almost did it in 2021. 

Do I think it is  likely? No. But it is hard as fuck to win multiple titles as a coach in baseball. 

Again, he better be replaced by someone with some serious skins on the wall or we are going to fuck ourselves. 

DP is miles better than RT, but both comparatively are not to their sport’s standards at UT unless you believe RT is a sweet sixteen coach every 3rd year and a deep run once a decade, for DP it’s national title, period. 

you go look at how many titles and title game or title series appearances Texas has and DP is not performing to our standard, he’s just not. 

DP’s resume at Texas is solid I’ll give you that, but in 15 years (7 more years) is he going to win it all?  Is he even going to make it to the final series? I don’t think so. He’s shown me nothing to suggest he has what it takes to be the guy here after 8 full years. 

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

This x1000, remember when we fired Mack Brown because he wasn't our "standard" (in a season where we were one game away from winning a Big 12 title) and then we turned around and royally fucked up the hire. We proceeded to wander in the desert for a decade. 

I can put up with the results of Pierce for another couple of years if we are just firing him for some Charlie Strong level chump. 

Has CDC hired a "Charlie Strong level chump?" 

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yes I do think he can win in the SEC. 

Yes I do think he can win a title. We almost did it in 2021. 

Do I think it is  likely? No. But it is hard as fuck to win multiple titles as a coach in baseball. 

Again, he better be replaced by someone with some serious skins on the wall or we are going to fuck ourselves. 

Then you're a fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

No what ends up happening in these arguments is you take a hall of fame coaches entire career and body of work and put it up against someone’s story who is still being written. Pierce’s time may come to an end at the end of this season, not up to me.

For one David Pierce isn’t Augie that shouldn’t even have to be stated. Comparing to Gus is an excercise in futility partially because it was a totally different era and partly because if we hired our next head coach from South San Antonio High School in 2024 this board would lose their collective minds.

Augie’s track record from Cal State Fullerton carried him through the beginning of his tenure at Texas. His first 5 years amounted to 1 CWS appearance, 2 losing seasons, and not one regional host. That is hardly having the program ready to rake for awhile. Now the next 4 years they went on a run that is going to be hard to rival by any college baseball program with how much more competitive the sport is getting year after year.

To make a long story short, Augie’s first 5 years didn’t really inspire much of anything and then it happened, baseball can be fickle like that. Reality is Texas has the #3 class in 2024 and #2 class in 2025 (subject to change because of the draft). That’s with the last 4 years resulting in CWS (Big 12 title), CWS, SR (Big 12 title), season not over. If you are going to blow that up, you better be damn sure you have the next Augie Garrido on line 1, not fucking Erik Bakich and Tom Walter.

• Hook 'Em 2