2nd Round: Warriors vs. Rockets

BigOrange1

2nd Round: Warriors vs. Rockets  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/2019 at 07:45 PM

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No, he isn't.  He's been very good.  He is in no way a top 10 all time.  He's barely top 3 of the last 10 years.  

Lol I mean, agree to disagree. It’s hard to compare eras, but I’d love to hear the 3 point guards you feel like are in the discussion as better than him over the last 10 years. Steph, and.....

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Lol I mean, agree to disagree. It’s hard to compare eras, but I’d love to hear the 3 point guards that you think are better than him over the last 10 years. 

Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook,  Kyrie Irving  and Tony Parker have all been better than him (Tony maybe a hard argue since he faded off 4-5 years ago).  The argument was primarily to put in perspective that he's not top 10 alltime as was claimed in the post I quoted.  He's barely top 3 of the last 10 years, which means he's not top 10 all time.  Period.  

Edit: And I offer Westbrook as a better basketball player.  He's not a pure PG, but he's a better all around player than CP3.  

Edited by Trey3216

Westbrook is a hard no lol. When you stop looking at stats and see how both actually affect the outcome of the game, it isn’t even remotely close. Especially when he’s the first option on a team (like CP3 has been every stop except Houston). 

Kyrie Irving has one of the biggest moments in nba playoff history. Other than that, there’s no legitimate argument. What has Kyrie done when he’s the focal point of a team? You better fucking get yours when you’re playing with prime Lebron James. Plus he isn’t even 1/3 the defender that CP3 is (dick grabbing and all).

And I’m a spurs fan through and through, but it is borderline laughable that you would try to argue that Tony Parker was better than CP3. He wasn’t better at setting guys up, he wasn’t better at defending, he wasn’t better at anything other than scoring in the paint. Not trying to take anything away from TP, but if you put prime TP on the hornets and the clippers and you put prime CP3 on the spurs with Duncan and Ginobilli, we might have two more titles. I think he’s that much better. 

I think theres an argument that could be made that CP3 is a borderline top 5 pg, but I’m not gonna go that far. I don’t think he is, but I wouldn’t laugh at the argument. I hate the guy, but in his prime he was nasty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook,  Kyrie Irving  and Tony Parker have all been better than him (Tony maybe a hard argue since he faded off 4-5 years ago).  The argument was primarily to put in perspective that he's not top 10 alltime as was claimed in the post I quoted.  He's barely top 3 of the last 10 years, which means he's not top 10 all time.  Period.  

Even Pop wanted Paul over Tony.  Love Tony and all he brought to the Spurs but there's not much of a case to rank him over Paul.  There may be one year or a small period of time where Tony played better but in totality, not that close.

Tony vs Paul

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Chris+Paul&player_id1_select=Chris+Paul&player_id1=paulch01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tony+Parker&player_id2_select=Tony+Parker&player_id2=parketo01&idx=players

The other 3 guys you named are really combo guards but I'd only put Curry in front of Paul for overall career.  Sure, Russ may have had a better or season or two but in totality and definitely game, I'd put Paul.  Kyrie's not that close.  Kyrie is a fantastic individual scorer and one on one player, but not that close.

Russ vs Paul.  Look at the efficiency numbers and advanced stats.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Chris+Paul&player_id1_select=Chris+Paul&player_id1=paulch01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Russell+Westbrook&player_id2_select=Russell+Westbrook&player_id2=westbru01&idx=players

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Even Pop wanted Paul over Tony.  Love Tony and all he brought to the Spurs but there's not much of a case to rank him over Paul.  There may be one year or a small period of time where Tony played better but in totality, not that close.

Tony vs Paul

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Chris+Paul&player_id1_select=Chris+Paul&player_id1=paulch01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tony+Parker&player_id2_select=Tony+Parker&player_id2=parketo01&idx=players

The other 3 guys you named are really combo guards but I'd only put Curry in front of Paul for overall career.  Sure, Russ may have had a better or season or two but in totality and definitely game, I'd put Paul.  Kyrie's not that close.  Kyrie is a fantastic individual scorer and one on one player, but not that close.

Russ vs Paul.  Look at the efficiency numbers and advanced stats.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Chris+Paul&player_id1_select=Chris+Paul&player_id1=paulch01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Russell+Westbrook&player_id2_select=Russell+Westbrook&player_id2=westbru01&idx=players

I hate most of them to be honest.  I just think CP3 is a bitch, and in my quote, I said he's in no way a top 10 alltime PG (he isn't) and I threw the caveat in there about the last 10 years.  He's been a very good, efficient player, for the most part.  He's also been a dirty player that thinks he's above the game.  I fucking hate people like that more than I hate legitimate greats from rival teams.  fucktards that ruin their own legacy, and laughingly get what they deserve, drive me off the rails a bit.  Yeah, I got drawn offsides by the hard count.  My bad. 

I’m not saying with certainty that he’s top 10 of all time but I certainly am having trouble coming up with ten names that I think are over him. 

These are the ten I think are pretty much the ten best but CP3 ain’t that far from that list.

IT, Cousy, West, Pistol, Steph, Magic, Big O, Stockton, Nash.

I guess some debate can be had about a couple of those being “point guards”.

Still you gotta think about guys like Frazier, Kidd, etc.

Either way he is certainly in the discussion for top ten all time and is probably in it.

Edited by hobbes2702

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not saying with certainty that he’s top 10 of all time but I certainly am having trouble coming up with ten names.

all time PGs? Magic, Oscar Robertson, Tiny Archibald, Isaiah Thomas, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, John Stockton, Allen Iverson, Damien Lillard, Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving. 

I'd take all of them over CP3

20 minutes ago, NowThis said:

all time PGs? Magic, Oscar Robertson, Tiny Archibald, Isaiah Thomas, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, John Stockton, Allen Iverson, Damien Lillard, Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving. 

I'd take all of them over CP3

Yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, not a PG, no, yes, no.

Why does your list include two guys currently playing that CP3 is better than? Especially for their careers. 

Edited by hobbes2702

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, not a PG, no, yes, no.

Why does your list include two guys currently playing that CP3 is better than? Especially for their careers. 

Tiny was incredible. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not saying with certainty that he’s top 10 of all time but I certainly am having trouble coming up with ten names that I think are over him. 

These are the ten I think are pretty much the ten best but CP3 ain’t that far from that list.

IT, Cousy, West, Pistol, Steph, Magic, Big O, Stockton, Nash.

I guess some debate can be had about a couple of those being “point guards”.

Still you gotta think about guys like Frazier, Kidd, etc.

Either way he is certainly in the discussion for top ten all time and is probably in it.

West was more of a shooting guard.  Combo at that least.  Cousy was great for his era but not sure the 37.5% shooting percentage would hold up past the mid 60's.  I definitely think Kidd and Isaiah are in the conversation.

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Even spurs fans don't think Tony Parker is/was better than Chris paul.  I dont think anyone other than Tony Parker's mom thinks Tony Parker is a better PG than Chris Paul.  

I do, but only for the Spurs. I don't think Pop would ever bring in someone like CP.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

West was more of a shooting guard.  Combo at that least.  Cousy was great for his era but not sure the 37.5% shooting percentage would hold up past the mid 60's.  I definitely think Kidd and Isaiah are in the conversation.

In the conversation?   Lol.   Isaiah and JKidd were both at least a tier or two above CP3 

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Didn't he try back in the mid to late 2000s?

2 years ago.  Mid 2000's was Jason Kidd.  He went with Houston and the Spurs ended up committing more money to Pau because he was being a team player and allowing the Spurs to cut him to free up money.  Its' non-sensical shit like that which keeps me from truly trusting any front office.  Even the smartest guys do stupid stuff out of hubris.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

2 years ago.  Mid 2000's was Jason Kidd.  He went with Houston and the Spurs ended up committing more money to Pau because he was being a team player and allowing the Spurs to cut him to free up money.  Its' non-sensical shit like that which keeps me from truly trusting any front office.  Even the smartest guys do stupid stuff out of hubris.

That's right. Forgot about the pursuit of Kidd. Good memory.

Don't do this. You compare players to their peers or these conversations are pointless.

And f all y'all for not mentioning Slater Martin.

48 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Sorry for talking about Warriors/Rockets in the Warriors/Rockets thread but  the Warriors are absolutely going to try to step on the Rocket's throats to start game 3, will it happen?

If they would just play the fucking games instead of giving teams two days extra rest for travel we’d have something else to talk about.

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If they would just play the fucking games instead of giving teams two days extra rest for travel we’d have something else to talk about.

I remember when the finals were shown on tape delay after the 10pm news. this is nothing.

6 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

I remember when the finals were shown on tape delay after the 10pm news. this is nothing.

Sure, but I’d love to hear the actual reason there was one playoff game on Wednesday, one on Thursday, and why the warriors and rockets couldn’t have played on Thursday or Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Fucking this.  The schedule is beyond fucking moronic.  Everyone will have fresh legs now and any DTD injuries have had enough time to heal.  What the NBA has done to the playoff schedule is silly.

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Fucking this.  The schedule is beyond fucking moronic.  Everyone will have fresh legs now and any DTD injuries have had enough time to heal.  What the NBA has done to the playoff schedule is silly.

This x2. I fucking hate it when players get enough rest to be closer to their peak physical condition! Makes the games suck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This x2. I fucking hate it when players get enough rest to be closer to their peak physical condition! Makes the games suck. 

Yea, why don't we give em' week!  Maybe we should check in on them and see if they need a few days, huh?  Steph may need a couple more days.  Get a massage in.

3 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Sorry for talking about Warriors/Rockets in the Warriors/Rockets thread but  the Warriors are absolutely going to try to step on the Rocket's throats to start game 3, will it happen?

It will happen if the Warriors come out with the same defensive intensity as Game 2 + hit their shots. Curry is due to go off. 

That being said, I fully expect Houston to win as long as they focus on hitting shots, instead of acting and arguing with the refs. 

26 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It will happen if the Warriors come out with the same defensive intensity as Game 2 + hit their shots. Curry is due to go off. 

That being said, I fully expect Houston to win as long as they focus on hitting shots, instead of acting and arguing with the refs. 

Problem is Houston has 3 guys(Mike D, Paul, Harden) who have rightfully earned a piss poor playoff reputation. I would not be surprised to see GS win a close one because one of the 3 makes a bonehead decision.

2 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

What kind of idiotic and unsuccessful sport gives their players a week rest between games????  

I think you're on to something.  Weekly basketball games.  I like it, give everyone time to rest and get to peak physical condition.  Season can be 9 months 40 weeks.  Wait, will that be enough time for the playoffs?  Doesn't matter, we need to give time for these guys to get tip top and ESPN to properly market these matchups.  Year round, weekly basketball.  Sounds like a winner.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

I think you're on to something.  Weekly basketball games.  I like it, give everyone time to rest and get to peak physical condition.  Season can be 9 months 40 weeks.  Wait, will that be enough time for the playoffs?  Doesn't matter, we need to give time for these guys to get tip top and ESPN to properly market these matchups.  Year round, weekly basketball.  Sounds like a winner.

I agree!!!