Getting old sucks

Hate

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Almost got run over by a 90-something guy driving an explorer on Thursday night around 7 pm while crossing the street by Hyde Park Bar & Grill off Duval in Austin. He did not see the stop sign or me. I’m glad I was watching him. His wife saw me after they’d gone halfway into the intersection and apologetically waved. Somewhere he’s got kids who want to take his keys away from him. 

Is HPB&G still good ?

I have not been there in years. Some of the best fries I have ever tasted.

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Is HPB&G still good ?

I met my uncle and cousin there. They’re Austinites and used to know the people that lived in the house when it was a house, so it’s a favorite of theirs. 
Food is good, basic. Fries are very good. 

2 minutes ago, nnm said:

I met my uncle and cousin there. They’re Austinites and used to know the people that lived in the house when it was a house, so it’s a favorite of theirs. 

Glad to hear that.

Everything I ever ate there was great. I need to go back.

3 hours ago, nnm said:

Almost got run over by a 90-something guy driving an explorer on Thursday night around 7 pm while crossing the street by Hyde Park Bar & Grill off Duval in Austin. He did not see the stop sign or me. I’m glad I was watching him. His wife saw me after they’d gone halfway into the intersection and apologetically waved. Somewhere he’s got kids who want to take his keys away from him. 

31 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Is HPB&G still good ?

28 minutes ago, nnm said:

25 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Glad to hear that.

Everything I ever ate there was great. I need to go back.

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2024 at 9:35 AM, RPM said:

Vodka is a clear liquid.

Speaking of vodka. I used to be a regular vodka drinker back in my younger days. I got burned out on the whole alcohol thing and quit for several years. When I started back, I developed a liking for a good Canadian whiskey and have drank that ever since. Superb owl weekend my daughter mentioned how bloody Mary's sounded good. So we picked up the stuff to make them and wholly shit, 1 and 1/4 bloody marys later I had to go lay down as I was wasted. No 100 proof or anything, just a plain old 80 proof(Dripping Springs). WTF? I don't know.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Speaking of vodka. I used to be a regular vodka drinker back in my younger days. I got burned out on the whole alcohol thing and quit for several years. When I started back, I developed a liking for a good Canadian whiskey and have drank that ever since. Superb owl weekend my daughter mentioned how bloody Mary's sounded good. So we picked up the stuff to make them and wholly shit, 1 and 1/4 bloody marys later I had to go lay down as I was wasted. No 100 proof or anything, just a plain old 80 proof(Dripping Springs). WTF? I don't know.

Superb Owl is my favorite Canadian whiskey 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Superb Owl is my favorite Canadian whiskey 

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Hmmm, never heard of it but will have to check it out.

OK, wtf? No results. For the record, Black Velvet Reserve, 10 year beats the hell out of Crown Royal at 1/2 the price.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

OK, wtf? No results. For the record, Black Velvet Reserve, 10 year beats the hell out of Crown Royal at 1/2 the price.

Just a bad joke about the typo 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just got results back from CT scans on right shoulder. I am amazed that despite the shoulder feeling great that surgery is still being recommended.  Would it be possible to get Surly docs opinion if I post the test results? With mods permission of course. Very down over this whole ordeal, Thanks...

Just got results back from CT scans on right shoulder. I am amazed that despite the shoulder feeling great that surgery is still being recommended.  Would it be possible to get Surly docs opinion if I post the test results? With mods permission of course. Very down over this whole ordeal, Thanks...

Do you trust the doc or get a second opinion? 

Edited by Crapinon

2 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Do you trust the doc or get a second opinion? 

It's not that I don't trust him, it's just damn I'm so sick and tired of being cut on, especially with the shoulder feeling so much better the last 3 weeks. Medicare said if I want a 2nd opinion they weren’t paying for it. I'm tempted to just say to hell with it regardless of consequences further damage etc.

24 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

My shoulder orthopedic surgeon told me “it’s hard to improve on pain free”.

FWTW.

That's one reason why I'm hesitant about the surgery. While I'm not pain free, it has dropped from an 8 to about a 3 or 4.

• Like 1

My shoulder has also been bothering me, and for about 2 years, hair over.

I’ve changed routine since summer, and it’s been way better. Have I seen anyone? Well, no.

I probably should, but if it’s healing on its own, however slow, fine by me. Hasn’t really hurt like it was for the last month maybe.

Went from maybe a 5 at its worst, to now maybe a 1 or 1.5 if it hurts at all.

Might be I’m just not aggravating it, but maybe not. Maybe both. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn sick for 4 days straight. Really sick, 20 hours a day in bed with massive amounts of blankets and still can’t stop shivering. My wife makes me take a Covid test every day and they’re negative. No fever but vomiting if I try and eat anything at all. I’ve never been sick that I couldn’t walk it off in a day or two including Covid. Catching this old dude crap and it’s not fun. Hopefully tomorrow it’ll be gone.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

That's one reason why I'm hesitant about the surgery. While I'm not pain free, it has dropped from an 8 to about a 3 or 4.

If it was at an 8 it will get back there and laugh as it goes to 11. Had my right shoulder done last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I was driving out of The Domain and accidentally turned on my windshield wipers….I couldn’t remember how to turn them off….I’ve had this car for 9 years. WTF?

And so it begins. Better save all of your passwords and PINs in an encrypted document and save the password into that document in a different encrypted document . . . Ahh, fuck it. 

Not as old as a few of you folks but I was alive when Kennedy got shot riding in his car in Dallas.

I am on Hypertension meds, cholesterol - non statin (statins fuck with me), and daily dosage of Tadalafil for BPH.    

About a month ago, I started the Heart Healthy Diet.  Pretty simple, Half your plate is Vegetables and Fruit (concentrate on Vegetables), 1/4 grains and 1/4 protein.  I manage to go without meat for dinner at least once a week.  I quit salting things and I have managed to start eating more salmon and less red meat and have dropped fried foods.  It's been a pain in the ass since we are cooking on most days instead of grabbing fast food a 2-3 times a week or Flautas from the bad ass cook on my block.  That being said...

I have fewer aches and pains.  I do have a nagging groin injury from a fall I took in December but I can get off the floor and sitting positions with more ease these days.  Also my BP has been like 145-160/90-100 range every doctors visit up until yesterday when it was 117/67.  

I went for a walk this afternoon and my resting HR was in the 50s at some point.

tl;dr -It's not too late to start eating better.  It is a good thing and can do your body all kinds of good.  I am hoping at some point I can get off all of my prescribed meds.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Not as old as a few of you folks but I was alive when Kennedy got shot riding in his car in Dallas.
I am on Hypertension meds, cholesterol - non statin (statins fuck with me), and daily dosage of Tadalafil for BPH.    
About a month ago, I started the Heart Healthy Diet.  Pretty simple, Half your plate is Vegetables and Fruit (concentrate on Vegetables), 1/4 grains and 1/4 protein.  I manage to go without meat for dinner at least once a week.  I quit salting things and I have managed to start eating more salmon and less red meat and have dropped fried foods.  It's been a pain in the ass since we are cooking on most days instead of grabbing fast food a 2-3 times a week or Flautas from the bad ass cook on my block.  That being said...
I have fewer aches and pains.  I do have a nagging groin injury from a fall I took in December but I can get off the floor and sitting positions with more ease these days.  Also my BP has been like 145-160/90-100 range every doctors visit up until yesterday when it was 117/67.  
I went for a walk this afternoon and my resting HR was in the 50s at some point.
tl;dr -It's not too late to start eating better.  It is a good thing and can do your body all kinds of good.  I am hoping at some point I can get off all of my prescribed meds.  

97d11bc2a1b40e59e2af472b99f32674.jpg
I guess I could just do 1/4 plate of protein.

That’s a lot of good news just for a single month’s effort! Good job!!
  • Like 1

I willl be 58 this summer.  There is a group of us that play full-court basketball 3 days a week during our lunch "hour" at a local gym.  When I am in town and not on a business trip I try to play.  The age range is late 20s through early 60s.

Yesterday a youngster in his early 30s played with us for the first time.  As I am standing up from putting my shoes on both of my knees makes this horrible popping, grinding sound.  Without words he turns to me with this WTF look on his face.  I say, "Yes, that was my knees.  You will be there one day.  Getting old sucks."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I willl be 58 this summer.  There is a group of us that play full-court basketball 3 days a week during our lunch "hour" at a local gym.  When I am in town and not on a business trip I try to play.  The age range is late 20s through early 60s.

Yesterday a youngster in his early 30s played with us for the first time.  As I am standing up from putting my shoes on both of my knees makes this horrible popping, grinding sound.  Without words he turns to me with this WTF look on his face.  I say, "Yes, that was my knees.  You will be there one day.  Getting old sucks."

You need to finish up the story where you broke his ankles on a crossover dribble while going hard in the paint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:
You need to finish up the story where you broke his ankles on a crossover dribble while going hard in the paint.

He fucked around and got a triple double. Today was a good day

I am too humble to mention such things.  I assumed that it was implied as such.

image.png.31cdfdb2e668c16637cecfa2ffd2c8fd.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm dying

arent we all but I feel mine coming, Almost 4 years since the stroke an 5-10 in what they give ya,, and the pandemic no physical therapy,, blah, family selling the house sticking me rehab rehab kicking me out 32 days later,,  the deciding health  .. I can feel it comin'

And as much as we like to attach significance to our life and our death and after all the reading and listening  Ive been doing to a lot of this and doing honest, deep reflection. And enough far more talented than I  have memorialised their experience 

it's a human experience, I do feel more connected to the experience , and both the unique and shared

but less and less to the life itself. But not at all suicidal

Edited by OWLVIS
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

I'm dying

arent we all but I feel mine coming,

To quote - or at least paraphrase - Paul Newman's character in Hombre: "Every body dies, it's just a matter of when and where. Right here, right now are good as any."

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Ant day you are pulling on weeds instead of pushing them is a good day.

Friend of mine, a Navajo Horseman (not to be confused with BoJack) told me that "ya ah tay" which is frequently said to mean" "It's a good day to die" actually means "All (is) good" and you're supposed to point to your heart and wave out with your palm down.

He had another one, but I don't recall the words, that means "It is a good day to live, it is a good day to die."

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Friend of mine, a Navajo Horseman (not to be confused with BoJack) told me that "ya ah tay" which is frequently said to mean" "It's a good day to die" actually means "All (is) good" and you're supposed to point to your heart and wave out with your palm down.

He had another one, but I don't recall the words, that means "It is a good day to live, it is a good day to die."

John McClane said it better. 

Put the Class of 69 right knee in the motherfucking transfer portal Thursday and am now the proud owner of a Class of 24 titanium bad boy. Day of surgery was not too bad but Doc said there was more bone spurs and worse arthritis than he expected and Friday was pretty fucking excruciating. Today has been much better and I'm working more on the home therapy. Straightening and bending hurts like a bitch still but it's gotta be done.  

20240224_115703.jpg

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Put the Class of 69 right knee in the motherfucking transfer portal Thursday and am now the proud owner of a Class of 24 titanium bad boy. Day of surgery was not too bad but Doc said there was more bone spurs and worse arthritis than he expected and Friday was pretty fucking excruciating. Today has been much better and I'm working more on the home therapy. Straightening and bending hurts like a bitch still but it's gotta be done.  

20240224_115703.jpg

Damnit. Having a walker in the house for one’s own use is supposed to be for boomers, not us Xers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That ice machine (Iceman?  PolarCare?  Can't tell fromt he pic) will be your best friend for the next few weeks.  Use it.  A LOT.

Pro tip:  bigger pieces of ice keep it cold significantly longer.  fill some Solo cups with water and freeze them, then put several in every filling along with regular ice.  run warm water over the Solo cups until you can pop the ice out, refill and repeat.

Former Athletic Trainer and sold both brands at different times in my younger years.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 12:59 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

20240224_115703.jpg

giphy(12).gif.27ea33c989a812a31848abfe5dbf3ab2.gif

6 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

@Dennis Taylor Do your physical therapy and then some.  Hurts like a bitch longer than you think but should be worth it in the end.  Bout a year. 

This.  Left knee was done 2008 and given a motion machine to use which I liked, right knee was replaced 2015 but no machine this time.  The one therapy I hated the most was a towel roll under my ankle and knee just allowed to hang with no support... Hated that cocksucker!  Good luck with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

That ice machine (Iceman?  PolarCare?  Can't tell fromt he pic) will be your best friend for the next few weeks.  Use it.  A LOT.

Pro tip:  bigger pieces of ice keep it cold significantly longer.  fill some Solo cups with water and freeze them, then put several in every filling along with regular ice.  run warm water over the Solo cups until you can pop the ice out, refill and repeat.

Former Athletic Trainer and sold both brands at different times in my younger years.

2 months out from rotator cuff surgery and the PolarCare recirculating machine was a lifesaver.  I used frozen bottles of water as the chilling agent.  About 4 bottles of water - I bought an 8 pack, so always had a refill frozen.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/24/2024 at 11:59 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

20240224_115703.jpg

But hey, at least you got a pair of “free” non-skid socks outta the deal.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

This.  Left knee was done 2008 and given a motion machine to use which I liked, right knee was replaced 2015 but no machine this time.  The one therapy I hated the most was a towel roll under my ankle and knee just allowed to hang with no support... Hated that cocksucker!  Good luck with it. 

I had to use a contraption called the Extensionator.  A deal that I would sit in for 10-15 minutes that would try to force my leg straight.  Holy shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2024 at 7:28 AM, CycleTex87 said:

@Dennis Taylor Do your physical therapy and then some.  Hurts like a bitch longer than you think but should be worth it in the end.  Bout a year. 

On 2/25/2024 at 1:17 PM, SurlyGator said:

On 2/25/2024 at 2:21 PM, Underdog said:

It's called Active Ice, basically an igloo with a pump and hoses and we're using the 4 frozen water bottles and rotating them. Walking (with walker) getting better...did just shy of 400 yards earlier today. My high school trainer had a torture device , I think it was called a Jobst that did the same think but with a blood pressure cuff that would squeeze the living fuck out of your injured joint.  Those may have been outlawed. Bending and straightening getting slightly better

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2