Getting old sucks

Hate

On 1/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Drives my wife crazy when we travel. I'm asleep before wheels up and ready to go when the plane lands.

You must either be short or you can afford first class.

I don't think it's possible for someone over 6' to maintain an hour of sleep in coach.  Hell, I've even tried xanax.  That shit usually knocks me out coooold.  Not when I'm eating my knees and only able to recline the seat an inch.

Interrupted sleep sucks.  I have no issue falling asleep within a few minutes of laying my head down.  Never had issues until the last few years, but 4-5 times a week I wake up about 3 in the morning, stay awake for about an hour and go back to sleep.  Nyquil will keep me asleep all night though.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Interrupted sleep sucks.  I have no issue falling asleep within a few minutes of laying my head down.  Never had issues until the last few years, but 4-5 times a week I wake up about 3 in the morning, stay awake for about an hour and go back to sleep.  Nyquil will keep me asleep all night though.  

Same here.

8 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

die-hard-bruce-willis.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The worst is when 2-3am wake up happens and my brain decides to “think through” the hard shit. I’ve decided my brain is under significant repair at 3am and if I’m awake and it’s starts trying to run it’s not working right with pieces all over the garage floor and the mechanic saying WTF? This thing has started up before I put it back together. Crazy ass thoughts, dark, high anxiety, doomsday, just nutty. Thankfully I can just say to myself, “uh, yeah that’s not quite right” and shut it down. 7am comes and sure enough I think nothing like I thought at 3am. Just a wicked thought cycle I’ve never experienced even 3-5 years ago. Doesn’t happen often but it happens. I think it’s age but maybe I’m just batshit… 

Edited by troph

5 hours ago, troph said:

The worst is when 2-3am wake up happens and my brain decides to “think through” the hard shit. I’ve decided my brain is under significant repair at 3am and if I’m awake and it’s starts trying to run it’s not working right with pieces all over the garage floor and the mechanic saying WTF? This thing has started up before I put it back together. Crazy ass thoughts, dark, high anxiety, doomsday, just nutty. Thankfully I can just say to myself, “uh, yeah that’s not quite right” and shut it down. 7am comes and sure enough I think nothing like I thought at 3am. Just a wicked thought cycle I’ve never experienced even 3-5 years ago. Doesn’t happen often but it happens. I think it’s age but maybe I’m just batshit… 

Same. 3 am is the worst. All the deals and what could go wrong, tasks I didn’t get to the previous day, things I forgot about, new made up worries that I never thought of, things I am concerned with in the future, all roll through my head.  No good thoughts at all. Finally dismiss them, maybe send myself an email to get it off my head, wake up at 6 and realize how stupid my 3:00 brain was.  

• Hook 'Em 2

You need some THC sleeping gummies.
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
On 3/4/2022 at 3:10 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

This.  I've started taking THC gummies at night and it really helps.  Problem is I often wake up a little foggy.  Trying to wean myself off but damn I need my sleep.

Anyone heard of something called bpc-157?  It's a peptide you inject that's supposed to help tendon, ligament and other tissue healing.  

I had shoulder surgery on my rotator cuff and the pain was so bad after 10 weeks I tried it.  2 weeks later feeling great. It might by psychosomatic or it might be that weeks 10-12 is when the healing process really kicks in, but I'm happy with results. 

This.  I've started taking THC gummies at night and it really helps.  Problem is I often wake up a little foggy.  Trying to wean myself off but damn I need my sleep.
Anyone heard of something called bpc-157?  It's a peptide you inject that's supposed to help tendon, ligament and other tissue healing.  
I had shoulder surgery on my rotator cuff and the pain was so bad after 10 weeks I tried it.  2 weeks later feeling great. It might by psychosomatic or it might be that weeks 10-12 is when the healing process really kicks in, but I'm happy with results. 
I use them for sleeping but not every night. It's the best sleep I've had. However, I don't get the groggy, dopp feeling from OTC sleep aids.

19 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Sex does the same thing. I’ll sleep a solid 7-8 after. my wife seems to think a few times a week is plenty. I try to convince her I need it to sleep but she doesn’t buy it.

Poor man's sleeping pill.

19 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I’d consider those, but we live in Central Texas.

What about Ol’ Arthur? Am I the only one with significant enough arthritis that some days you think it would be easier to just be dead? I’ve gotten a whole new empathetic view and perspective on how something like the opioid addicts/epidemic could ever happen and how people with chronic pain just “give up”. 

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

What about Ol’ Arthur? Am I the only one with significant enough arthritis that some days you think it would be easier to just be dead? I’ve gotten a whole new empathetic view and perspective on how something like the opioid addicts/epidemic could ever happen and how people with chronic pain just “give up”. 

Ol’ Art has a pretty good grip on my hands & shoulder joints plus bone spurs. If I swing my arms around, it can sound like a Big Wheel clacker. Lol

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

E69689C6-EADE-4A24-8229-B900D014DA61.jpeg

I went to catholic school in the first grade.  I think the fact it was only one year is due to the nuns losing their shit when I set a bunch of those off during recess by smashing them with rocks. 

My reaction was a legitimate George Costanza "was that wrong?"

Edited by Not a cat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 8:54 PM, Mother mopar said:

This.  I've been taking a 1/2 D9 gummie every evening.  Been sleeping like a baby.  Like @Atxracer, I can go to bed perfectly content, then have my damn brain manufacture some sort of new drama to worry about in the middle of the night.  A few nights ago, I "decided" to start worrying about the fact that I'm prob at the halfway point of life.  

The gummies really do help.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, Atxracer said:

Same. 3 am is the worst. All the deals and what could go wrong, tasks I didn’t get to the previous day, things I forgot about, new made up worries that I never thought of, things I am concerned with in the future, all roll through my head.  No good thoughts at all. Finally dismiss them, maybe send myself an email to get it off my head, wake up at 6 and realize how stupid my 3:00 brain was.  

Damn, 3 a.m. must be when half this town is awake judging by this thread.

Same here. Last night was bad and was up from about 2-4a.m. thanks to some stressful stuff going on.

But plenty of times where I wake up and brain starting racing through problems. And they all seem bigger and more daunting than they do at 7 a.m.

16 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damn, 3 a.m. must be when half this town is awake judging by this thread.

Same here. Last night was bad and was up from about 2-4a.m. thanks to some stressful stuff going on.

But plenty of times where I wake up and brain starting racing through problems. And they all seem bigger and more daunting than they do at 7 a.m.

4:30 for me, give or take 5 minutes. Every night. At least it will be 5:30 when time changes

On 3/6/2022 at 12:25 PM, Not a cat said:

Rotator cuff surgeries suck period.  I've had 4, finally wound up with a reverse replacement in left shoulder.  Hell I'd have tried heroin if I could have.

Rotator cuff surgeries suck period.  I've had 4, finally wound up with a reverse replacement in left shoulder.  Hell I'd have tried heroin if I could have.
How's the reverse arthroplasty going for you? I had a regular arthroplasty and life is so much better but was told that reverse would be in my future as I age.

16 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
18 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

How's the reverse arthroplasty going for you? I had a regular arthroplasty and life is so much better but was told that reverse would be in my future as I age.

Freaking horrible. The worst part is the extremely limited range of motion.  While using my arm, lifting, pulling etc. I have to be very careful of the angle of exertion. Also I have to sleep in very particular positions with the arm propped up with pillows or that shoulder hurts like hell and is pretty much useless for a day or two.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

Freaking horrible. The worst part is the extremely limited range of motion.  While using my arm, lifting, pulling etc. I have to be very careful of the angle of exertion. Also I have to sleep in very particular positions with the arm propped up with pillows or that shoulder hurts like hell and is pretty much useless for a day or two.
Damn, can't imagine what your level of pain was before surgery. Any reason why they had to do a reverse first before a conventional arthroplasty?

Senior Wedding 
Jacob, age 92, and Rebecca, age 89, living in Miami, are all excited about their decision to get married. They go for a stroll to discuss the wedding, and on the way they pass a drugstore. Jacob suggests they go in.
Jacob addresses the man behind the counter: "Are you the owner?"
The pharmacist answers, "Yes."
Jacob: "We're about to get married. Do you sell heart medication?"
Pharmacist: "Of course, we do."
Jacob: "How about medicine for circulation?"
Pharmacist: "All kinds."
Jacob: "Medicine for rheumatism?"
Pharmacist: "Definitely."
Jacob: "How about suppositories?"
Pharmacist: "You bet!"
Jacob: "Medicine for memory problems, arthritis and Alzheimer's?"
Pharmacist: "Yes, a large variety. The Works."
Jacob: "What about vitamins, sleeping pills, Geritol, antidotes for Parkinson's disease?"
Pharmacist: "Absolutely."
Jacob: "Everything for heartburn and indigestion?"
Pharmacist: "We sure do."
Jacob: "You sell wheelchairs and walkers and canes?"
Pharmacist: "All speeds and sizes."
Jacob: "Adult diapers?"
Pharmacist: "Sure."
Jacob: "We'd like to use this store as our Bridal Registry.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
14 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Damn, can't imagine what your level of pain was before surgery. Any reason why they had to do a reverse first before a conventional arthroplasty?

Jackass drs had misdiagnosed the cause of my pain to be tendonitis for years.  By the time I had gotten to the point where I would hit a pothole in the road with my forearm resting on the arm rest causing dislocation did the insurance company and doctors decide to investigate more indepth.  By that time the humerus had degraded to the point it had basically collapsed in on itself.  5 or 6 years of cortisone shots didn't help.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, Atxracer said:

I don't think I've ever clicked on this thread, but the one time I do and speed scroll through the last page, and holy shit, this is me.  Always been a good sleeper.  Quick to sleep, can sleep anywhere, any time, no insomnia.  I'll be damned if the last year hasn't been full of the 3-AM-wide-awake-crazy-anxiety-and-random-thoughts deal.  Usually lasts about an hour.  I'll eventually fall back to sleep, and right as rain at 5 AM when the alarm goes off, but damn, it sucks and really puts me in a funk the next day. 

Anyhow, I clicked on the link to bitch about my elbow tendinitis.  I'm a lefty and it's my right elbow, but what a pain in the ass.  It's odd because my strength is still fine, but it's weird angles that kill me.  I can't pick my coffee mug up out of the cup holder in my truck without wincing in pain.  I have to reach with my left hand.  It hurts to hold it straight, so I'm walking with my arm subconsciously slightly flexed, so I'm running into door jambs and banging my elbow which compounds the pain.  It sucks.  Time to go see a doctor, I suppose.

20 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I don't think I've ever clicked on this thread, but the one time I do and speed scroll through the last page, and holy shit, this is me.  Always been a good sleeper.  Quick to sleep, can sleep anywhere, any time, no insomnia.  I'll be damned if the last year hasn't been full of the 3-AM-wide-awake-crazy-anxiety-and-random-thoughts deal.  Usually lasts about an hour.  I'll eventually fall back to sleep, and right as rain at 5 AM when the alarm goes off, but damn, it sucks and really puts me in a funk the next day. 

Anyhow, I clicked on the link to bitch about my elbow tendinitis.  I'm a lefty and it's my right elbow, but what a pain in the ass.  It's odd because my strength is still fine, but it's weird angles that kill me.  I can't pick my coffee mug up out of the cup holder in my truck without wincing in pain.  I have to reach with my left hand.  It hurts to hold it straight, so I'm walking with my arm subconsciously slightly flexed, so I'm running into door jambs and banging my elbow which compounds the pain.  It sucks.  Time to go see a doctor, I suppose.

image.png.f5d68e4056bc6ecc76c602349e4bdee2.png

• Hook 'Em 3

59b643593ccef256e2146986b5fe060f.jpg
My left elbow does this. These worked great.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/8/2022 at 9:06 AM, Crapinon said:

4:30 for me, give or take 5 minutes. Every night. At least it will be 5:30 when time changes

Thank goodness I woke up at 2:30 this morning with my brain playing the Banana Splits theme song. How else could I remember the names Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Thank goodness I woke up at 2:30 this morning with my brain playing the Banana Splits theme song. How else could I remember the names Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky? 

I was an official member of the banana splits fan club, back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 and i lift...a lot.  2x/day, in fact.  and between that and genetics (both shoulders have a torn cuff, torn lambrum, bone spurs, foreign bodies, fluid and severe osteoarthritis...bone on bone, i'm scheduled for a total shoulder replacement on 3/25, and the other shoulder in Sept.  fuck this shit, but i have to...i can no longer get a coffee cup out of the cupboard with either arm.  all my lifting is now to the point where i'm having to modify every damn lift/exercise, and it's just become too much of a pain in the ass.  can't sleep on either side, and if i do i'm up within the hour b/c of the gotdamn arthritis pain.  

thing is, b/c of my addiction, i can't take pain meds...not even post-surgical.  

so i'm doing this thing without narcotics.  and it's fucked up spooky...but not as spooky as the shit i went through.  and there's no fucking way i'm going to be in more pain than i am right now.

in short...fuck getting old.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

54 and i lift...a lot.  2x/day, in fact.  and between that and genetics (both shoulders have a torn cuff, torn lambrum, bone spurs, foreign bodies, fluid and severe osteoarthritis...bone on bone, i'm scheduled for a total shoulder replacement on 3/25, and the other shoulder in Sept.  fuck this shit, but i have to...i can no longer get a coffee cup out of the cupboard with either arm.  all my lifting is now to the point where i'm having to modify every damn lift/exercise, and it's just become too much of a pain in the ass.  can't sleep on either side, and if i do i'm up within the hour b/c of the gotdamn arthritis pain.  
thing is, b/c of my addiction, i can't take pain meds...not even post-surgical.  
so i'm doing this thing without narcotics.  and it's fucked up spooky...but not as spooky as the shit i went through.  and there's no fucking way i'm going to be in more pain than i am right now.
in short...fuck getting old.
Getting both shoulder replacements done in a year sucked but damn is it nice not to live in total pain and have some range of motion back. Don't get me wrong it's not like new but it's night and day from what I was. This is from a guy who has had 4 shoulder surgeries and 2 replacements all before the age of 41.
  • Like 1

I was in the shower this morning and I raised up my left arm to rinse off my armpit. Sudden, intense pain across my upper back, to the point that I couldn't take a breath without it hurting. I had to bend over at the waist to breathe. It lasted 2-3 mins before subsiding into a dull soreness that I'm able to live with. This happens sometimes and the dull pain will last for 4-5 days. Fucking hell.