Getting old sucks

Hate

On 11/13/2021 at 6:09 PM, nnm said:

Jammed my shoulder in a fall a week and a half ago (mentioned above). The open MRI they gave me was horrific with my claustrophobia. I was able to do it the second day with 4 ambien pills that a doctor friend prescribed. 
edit:  Xanax, not ambien. 4 ambien I guess I’d still be sleeping. Thanks, @Crapinon

Update. Re-injured the shoulder last night. Pain woke me up at 3 am. Now I've been admitted to the hospital in Dallas for a day or two. IV meds aren’t even knocking the pain down. FML. 

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm having a helluva week. On Monday I used a hand spiralizer to make zucchini noodles and the rest of the week had been intense pain in my wrist and forearm, so I obviously stained something. Gawd I'm old. Gonna buy a crank spiralizer this weekend. 

Old zoodle injury is creeping up again.

• Haha 3

Apparently I have 24 bundles of shingles to pick up from a job the guys completed on Friday.  That's gonna be fun... approx. 80 lbs. per.  Moving close to 2,000 lbs. solo.

Hopefully the customer (who left late today for a trip) drove & isn't parked on the R side of the driveway or it's an added 50 ft. from where the pallet was set.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:42 PM, nnm said:

Update. Re-injured the shoulder last night. Pain woke me up at 3 am. Now I've been admitted to the hospital in Dallas for a day or two. IV meds aren’t even knocking the pain down. FML. 

Day 3 in the hospital. Maybe go home today. In pain, stoned on opiates, and constipated is no way to go through life. 

• Like 1

Apparently I have 24 bundles of shingles to pick up from a job the guys completed on Friday.  That's gonna be fun... approx. 80 lbs. per.  Moving close to 2,000 lbs. solo.

Hopefully the customer (who left late today for a trip) drove & isn't parked on the R side of the driveway or it's an added 50 ft. from where the pallet was set.

Go slow and easy man. Take breaks.

Day 3 in the hospital. Maybe go home today. In pain, stoned on opiates, and constipated is no way to go through life. 

Damn man that’s rough. Hope you get some relief soon.

That opioid constipation is no fucking joke, that happened to me after my first rotator cuff surgery and as a result I took almost no pain killers with my second.
  • Like 1

I’m at my wits end with this gerd/mysterious chest/back pain.  Going on 2 years of off and on (mostly on) pain in my chest and back.  Diagnosed with reflux by my primary, Nexium resolved it for awhile.  Tried to get off of it after a couple of months, did a fair job of restricting my diet and ensuring I didn’t eat before laying down, but it came roaring back and is now persisting even tho I’m back on the Nexium. Saw a Gastro and an ENT, had manometry, CT scan, MRI, none of it showed anything.  So here I sit in fucking pain, day after day, all day, with no idea the cause or fix.

Add in I had double inguinal hernia surgery last month.  Was hoping it was somehow related but no dice.

Getting old sucks.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Key words are "the guys"... they work for you, get one of their asses over there to finish the job.  The job isn't finished till the shits picked up.  That's on you bro.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I do a lot of hiking and take pride in myself for being in good shape for my age.  I have come to the conclusion that the Aesop fable, "The Hare and the Tortoise", is a bit of a lie.  Just this past week I spent 2-1/2 days of hiking in The Joshua Tree National Park. Some of the trails I hiked I was alone with my just my thoughts whereas there were a few that were quite popular and thus there were many others on the trail.  Being a fairly competitive person I would prefer to pass people than them pass me.  I can always make good time except when I am going down steep grades and it is particularly worse when there are steps/rocks to navigate.  My right knee does not have the structural integrity anymore to do a deep bend required to lower myself so I am always having to stagger or shuffle my steps so that my right foot is the lead foot to step down. This leads to having to take many more steps and more time. That, and I get passed.

If you aren’t using hiking poles get some. You’ll be amazed at how much they help your knees especially downhill.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Key words are "the guys"... they work for you, get one of their asses over there to finish the job.  The job isn't finished till the shits picked up.  That's on you bro.
Yeah, no.

I'm not gonna make someone drive to Wimberley from North Lamar or Hutto because I wasn't around when they finished the job.

If I did that, it would easily cost $ 150 just for the time spent.

Monster assisted me in the load / move & I paid him $ 20 for that effort.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yeah, no.

I'm not gonna make someone drive to Wimberley from North Lamar or Hutto because I wasn't around when they finished the job.

If I did that, it would easily cost $ 150 just for the time spent.

Monster assisted me in the load / move & I paid him $ 20 for that effort.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You hiring?

Don't need a job but you sound great to work for!

Went to a doctor’s appointment today, follow-up for the hospitalization above. Doc was young, but not that young. Talked about raising kids, etc. 
Told her about having my knee scoped when I was in college in 1987 or 88.  She said “ooh—that’s when I was born!”  

Edited by nnm
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Went to a doctor’s appointment today, follow-up for the hospitalization above. Doc was young, but not that young. Talked about raising kids, etc. 
Told her about having my knee scoped when I was in college in 1987 or 88.  She said “ooh—that’s when I was born!”  

Seriously?  It's been 61 minutes and no one's asked for pics of the 34 y.o. doc?

• Haha 1

I got a motherfucker of an eye-twitch.  Not enough water is what the interwebs say.  That and, quit drinking caffeine.  Thefuck?

My eyesight in general has deteriorated rapidly over the past 5 years.  I can't read a fucking thing without glasses now.

Youth is wasted on the young.

3 hours ago, vox said:

I got a motherfucker of an eye-twitch.  Not enough water is what the interwebs say.  That and, quit drinking caffeine.  Thefuck?

My eyesight in general has deteriorated rapidly over the past 5 years.  I can't read a fucking thing without glasses now.

Youth is wasted on the young.

I’ve had that damn eye twitch off and on for about 3 years. Stress, the interwebz also say. Oh well, guess my eye is going to twitch. 

6 hours ago, nnm said:

My second urologist was a woman who was an 8th grader in an after school program with my daughter. At my first appointment, she said "I remember you". It was really awkward. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On a different but entirely relevant tack, I lost a longtime friend and colleague at work today.  I found out about 2 hours ago and the tears have been nonstop.  Such a genuinely good motherfucker, who also had a wicked sense of humor that would bust you upside the funny bone in the most tenuous of situations.  He had diabetes9 skinny though) and heart issues.  Dude just had a passion for his family and life itself that inspired others.

i miss him already.  This sucks.  I know there will be more of this as our old asses die off, but this cat was different.  

11 hours ago, slorch said:

On a different but entirely relevant tack, I lost a longtime friend and colleague at work today.  I found out about 2 hours ago and the tears have been nonstop.  Such a genuinely good motherfucker, who also had a wicked sense of humor that would bust you upside the funny bone in the most tenuous of situations.  He had diabetes9 skinny though) and heart issues.  Dude just had a passion for his family and life itself that inspired others.

i miss him already.  This sucks.  I know there will be more of this as our old asses die off, but this cat was different.  

That is definitely one of the worst things about getting old is watching your friends and family die off.  My Grandpa died at 100 and all of his friends had long since gone.  As soon as my Grandma died in 2017, my Grandpa was done.  He wanted to die every moment he wasn't with someone in the family.  He even asked my uncle to shoot him on a couple of occasions (just like Grandpa in SouthPark). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

That is definitely one of the worst things about getting old is watching your friends and family die off.  My Grandpa died at 100 and all of his friends had long since gone.  As soon as my Grandma died in 2017, my Grandpa was done.  He wanted to die every moment he wasn't with someone in the family.  He even asked my uncle to shoot him on a couple of occasions (just like Grandpa in SouthPark). 

A long time ago, my great-grandmother told my mother "if you live long enough, you say goodbye to everyone you love."  My mom is now 80, and we lost my dad this summer.  She's really feeling that particular burden of a long life. 

When you're young and dumb, you tell your lover sweet things like "I want to grow old with you," having no idea what that really means.  Watching my in-laws go through end-of-life care after 60+ years of marriage, and then my parents do the same, you see it is both unbelievably more difficult and unbelievably more sweet than you could ever imagine when you're young. 

Growing old means the inexpressible joy of seeing a grandchild run toward you with a smile and open arms.  But also means the inexpressible grief of saying goodbye over and over.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Haven't been on this thread in a while...

I'm in incredible pain after landing on my butt yesterday. I was at a skating rink teaching my 9 and 6 YO kids how to skate when I fell backwards. I could feel my spine compressing from tailbone to mid-way up my back. Now the right side of my spine where the compression stopped is hurting like hell. I can walk, but it hurts when I stand too long, and hard to shift weight when I'm in bed.

Left a VM with my chiro to see if I can get the first opening but his office is closed on Monday. Got damn this hurts.

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

Haven't been on this thread in a while...

I'm in incredible pain after landing on my butt yesterday. I was at a skating rink teaching my 9 and 6 YO kids how to skate when I fell backwards. I could feel my spine compressing from tailbone to mid-way up my back. Now the right side of my spine where the compression stopped is hurting like hell. I can walk, but it hurts when I stand too long, and hard to shift weight when I'm in bed.

Left a VM with my chiro to see if I can get the first opening but his office is closed on Monday. Got damn this hurts.

About 15 years ago I was at a skating party with my then-11 year old daughter (no pics).  My daughter asked me to hold her hard plastic pony tail holder, kind of like a napkin holder, and I stuck it in my back pocket.  My wife (also no pics) and I decided to race around the rink.  Right before the finish line, I wiped out, landing right on that ponytail holder, right on my hip. I contend that I still won the race, sliding across the finish.  My wife disputes my contention.

I ended up with a massive hematoma that severely limited my hip movement for almost a month.  As the hematoma dissipated, the blood drained down my leg, pooling down in my thigh, then knee, then ankle.  I was in massive pain for a couple of months.  

No more skating for me!

Yesterday I stopped in to see an old friend at one of my old accounts. Because of sales territory changes, I haven't been in for a couple of years but I just stopped in to say Merry Christmas. I walked in and we had a normal conversation, just like we used to. He's 64, 3 years from retirement and he told me all his plans. He owns a hunting lease and told me about running it, etc. He said he hadn't even touched his rifles in a year, that he didn't need to shoot them because the bucks were too small right now. When we were done, I walked out to see a couple of people in the tool crib. I started giving one guy a hard time about not being able to get my buddy to retire so he could have his office. He told me that he is already doing all the work because my buddy has advancing Alzheimer's and basically sits in his office all day staring at his computer screen and filling out surveys. He has been with his company for 37 years so they just let him come in as a courtesy for all his years of service, because he has no where to go. His wife has taken all his guns away so he won't hurt anyone. It scared the hell out of me because he covered it so well. I knew that people with Alzheimer's could fake their way pretty well but he shocked me. And it's a gut punch because he worked his ass off for years so he could enjoy his retirement and right now he doesn't even have a clue as to what he's doing every day. Getting old really does suck.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...