Getting old sucks

Hate

Any remedy for popping knees? My mom's knees always popped when she kneeled down. Mine have been on and off, but for the past few weeks, both knees are popping like crazy. Nothing hurts, it's just weird that I can't bend then stretch my legs without a pop. Maybe it's time to see the chiro.

Edited by Superhero

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Any remedy for popping knees? My mom's knees always popped when she kneeled down. Mine have been on and off, but for the past few weeks, both knees are popping like crazy. Nothing hurts, it's just weird that I can't bend then stretch my legs without a pop. Maybe it's time to see the chiro.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

My knees, shoulders/ elbows all sound like rice krispies.

No pain, so fuck it.

I'd love to know how that feels. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

48 here, best blood pressure ever and damn good A1C 

major check up in 3 months and I have self imposed weight goal that I want to hit

Bold strategy - come into a thread of misery and decide to scoreboard everyone else. 

FIL is getting better, slowly, ended up with a UTI that everyone initially confused for stroke complications. Didn’t know delirium and memory issues were a symptom of UTI in older people. He can stand up and has reasonable use of his left arm now. Needs a walker but his recovery is incredible given the fact that he had balance issues anyway, is 82 and had a stroke that went undiagnosed for hours (and hours) plus mini strokes for a few weeks before. His surly sense of humor is back he’d fit right in. I’d consider inviting him here except he’s an aggy.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I have been getting intense pain in a bone on the outside of my knee.  It lasts for about 30 seconds, then goes away completely.  Happens 2-3 times a week for the last month or so.  Intertrons tell me it could be a number of things, my thought is that if it was something serious it would hurt constantly.  Anybody want to convince me I need to start chipping away at my deductible to figure out what is causing this?

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I have been getting intense pain in a bone on the outside of my knee.  It lasts for about 30 seconds, then goes away completely.  Happens 2-3 times a week for the last month or so.  Intertrons tell me it could be a number of things, my thought is that if it was something serious it would hurt constantly.  Anybody want to convince me I need to start chipping away at my deductible to figure out what is causing this?

I started having pain in the side of my knee several years ago, my sister suggested Glucosamine. I started taking 1000 mg twice a day and the pain stopped in a matter of days. I still take it and the pain hasn't returned.

Edited by Kilgorehorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Any internet search on a medical condition usually ends up with a diagnosis of terminal cancer. I try to avoid it. The searches and the cancer. 

On 7/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, nnm said:

Any internet search on a medical condition usually ends up with a diagnosis of terminal cancer. I try to avoid it. The searches and the cancer. 

My google medical searches said that I would be getting my dick cut off, another one said I would be getting my feet cut off.

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, nnm said:

Damn right. That's why I never go to the Doctor. Only two possible results:

1. You're fine and you just wasted time and money

2. You're not fine and who the fuck wants to hear that???

Edited by Cheeseweasel
fucking doctors man
  • Haha 2

Not sure if because old or new technology:

I recently inherited my wife's smartwatch.  (She was not getting optimal watch/phone interface performance so she switched to Apple product).

So I get this thing up and running and all synced up and noticed the "sleep" function after a few days.  I suffer from mild sleep apnea and thought lets see what's going on.

So after a few days things are great.  I get this little graph showing what my readiness levels are for the day after I get up and how much in the way of resources I recovered during sleep.  So things are good and I am anywhere from 90-100% recovered upon waking and my sleep quality is great.  Heart rate during sleep drops down into the mid 30's beats per minute, god REM, Deep and light sleep numbers.

Then one day, I decide to have a nice pint of IPA around 8PM.  I wake up the next morning feeling like shit, then I check my sleep stats.  I am at 19% resources which was 6% lower than when I went to sleep.  No deep sleep, no rem sleep, and my BPM dropped down to only 60BPM.

Thinking this might be a one off, I repeated the experiment and same results (more alcohol yields even worse results).  Not only that I have found that if I exercise (mostly walking) in any way past 8PM, my sleep also suffers and I feel it.  So yay me.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:34 PM, Kilgorehorn said:

I started having pain in the side of my knee several years ago, my sister suggested Glucosamine. I started taking 1000 mg twice a day and the pain stopped in a matter of days. I still take it and the pain hasn't returned.

Kirkland brand triple action joint formula is the best I've found, beat the hell out of glucosamine in my experience.

8 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Not sure if because old or new technology:

I recently inherited my wife's smartwatch.  (She was not getting optimal watch/phone interface performance so she switched to Apple product).

So I get this thing up and running and all synced up and noticed the "sleep" function after a few days.  I suffer from mild sleep apnea and thought lets see what's going on.

So after a few days things are great.  I get this little graph showing what my readiness levels are for the day after I get up and how much in the way of resources I recovered during sleep.  So things are good and I am anywhere from 90-100% recovered upon waking and my sleep quality is great.  Heart rate during sleep drops down into the mid 30's beats per minute, god REM, Deep and light sleep numbers.

Then one day, I decide to have a nice pint of IPA around 8PM.  I wake up the next morning feeling like shit, then I check my sleep stats.  I am at 19% resources which was 6% lower than when I went to sleep.  No deep sleep, no rem sleep, and my BPM dropped down to only 60BPM.

Thinking this might be a one off, I repeated the experiment and same results (more alcohol yields even worse results).  Not only that I have found that if I exercise (mostly walking) in any way past 8PM, my sleep also suffers and I feel it.  So yay me.

Yep. I have a Garmin that tracks sleep. Same results, which are consistent with how I actually feel. Any alcohol completely wrecks my sleep. Which is too bad because I really enjoy a nice glass of whisky or wine. But I live in fear of not sleeping. I sleep poorly enough anyway, and if I add alcohol to the mix, it’s a disaster. 

I've been a runner all of my life. Love to run. At 55 I can still knock out 10k in under an hour (real time, not Microwave Clock Time). But since I hit 50, I'm in this horrible cycle:

• Have a good week of running (3-4 miles, every other day)
  • Next week (various pains, take a week off)
  • Slow week with moderate pain, but not satisfying pace/distance
  • Push a bit, have a good week of running (3-4 miles, every other day)
  • Next week (various pains, take a week off)

Rinse...repeat...

Getting old sucks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Paging Surly doctors.... wtf does this mean?

• Left ventricle is normal in size with moderate concentric hypertrophy. Normal left ventricular systolic function with EF of 65-70 % by 2D bi-plane method and visual assessment.
• Right ventricle is dilated with normal systolic function, TAPSE is 3.4 cm.
• There is moderate aortic stenosis. Peak velocity 3.4 m/s, mean gradient 28 mmHg with a calculated valve area of 1.7 cm2 - utilizing an LVOT diameter of 2.5 cm. Visually valve appears more stenotic than calculated valve area suggests. The dimensionless index VTI is 0.35, LVOT stroke volume index is 61.1 ml/m2.
• There is no prior study available for comparison.

WTF

I used to be able to put away the spiciest food no problem. Now a little bit of hot pepper rips apart my insides like a tasmanian devil, and I spend the day next running for the porcelain throne. And I'm Asian! WTF

My wife (white and younger) now gets to make fun of me for not being able to stand hot food. The tables have turned.

Nobody told me this was part of growing old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ajax said:

WTF

I used to be able to put away the spiciest food no problem. Now a little bit of hot pepper rips apart my insides like a tasmanian devil, and I spend the day next running for the porcelain throne. And I'm Asian! WTF

My wife (white and younger) now gets to make fun of me for not being able to stand hot food. The tables have turned.

Nobody told me this was part of growing old.

Yup. Grew up with green chile in every meal. It’s one of the essential food groups, IMHO. Now it rips me. FML. 

FIL out of rehab and in a skilled nursing home, hoping he upgrades to assisted living. Fantasies of returning home are likely gone. He’s now a few miles from us. I know where I may be watching football games this fall.  He has most of his mental ability back and can stand and has some use of his left leg and left arm. Slowly making progress. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 10:40 AM, Armybrat said:

I retired, rarely read this shit anymore, and I always got an interpretation from the ordering cardiologist.  Every internist thinks they are pretty good cardiologists.  That is hubris.

I hate to say "old heart"..... so I wont

Right ventricular enlargement does not look normal, the TAPSE is a little elevated, those often go together (looking at how the right side of the heart is functioning).  A cardiologist might tell you this is close enough to normal not to worry about (see above). Would be nice to compare to an older one.  Won't venture a diagnosis without more patient information for that, too many things it could be so not helpful alone.   

Aortic valve is getting stenotic (not opening as wide as it should) so it's restricting LEFT side blood pumping).  Severe is when the valve area gets under 1 - but the left side function measured by ejection fraction (EF) is still normal but it is getting thicker, guessing from the increased work through the smaller valve. A little bit of this happens in older patients over time, a lot of this has to be treated.  Ill leave the treatment options to the cardiologists - there are many. 

Hope that helps a little.  I would not run screaming to the funeral home just yet, neither would I ignore it. 

• Like 3

46 here.

Went an hit tennis balls against the backstop near our house.  Hit/ran around for about an hour.

The next morning, I thought my foot was going to fall off.  It felt like I had broken a bone in my foot.  Pain started on the outside/mid foot and ran around the top.

I was limping around for the next week.  Ice, Aleve, ankle wrap.

Thought it was a stress fracture of some sort, but it ended up going away in about a week.  Still a little sore now in the mornings when I get up....gotta get the old bones moving in the morning.

Sidenote- I've lost 2 friends in the last month to heart issues, both 46.  Go get your tickers checked.

Edited by Tylerocks

After a week of insanely random neck, jaw, head and piercing ear pain that culminated with blistering inside of my left ear on Sunday, I was diagnosed with shingles. So far the blistering is minor and only on the inside rim of my ear hole. I have damn near total hearing loss on my left side and my balance is all wonk. I wake up at 2am like clock work with splitting ear pain and headache and sit upright in bed until the alarm goes off at 6. This is a fuck.

My main complaint is I can’t lose a stubborn belly for shit. I eat well and don’t eat a lot, I have one lite beer and I gain two pounds.  I have a nice meal and clothes don’t fit.  

And god the lack of energy.  No carbs or super low carbs, great diet, relatively speaking a lot of exercise, full night of sleep and I’m still super tired at 7pm. Most days I force a good time but truth is I could be asleep by 7:30pm and not complain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2021 at 4:35 AM, deter said:

69 yesterday  and as willie sings "not dead again today"

64 was a big birthday for me.  Turned out she would-birthday party, bottle of wine, etc.   Can't wait for 69-that number has always been a winner for me. 

27 minutes ago, bmbmd said:

64 was a big birthday for me.  Turned out she would-birthday party, bottle of wine, etc.   Can't wait for 69-that number has always been a winner for me. 

Was devine. Back surgery for one and knee replacement for another does cause some flexibility and logistical problems.

12 hours ago, troph said:

My main complaint is I can’t lose a stubborn belly for shit. I eat well and don’t eat a lot, I have one lite beer and I gain two pounds.  I have a nice meal and clothes don’t fit.  

And god the lack of energy.  No carbs or super low carbs, great diet, relatively speaking a lot of exercise, full night of sleep and I’m still super tired at 7pm. Most days I force a good time but truth is I could be asleep by 7:30pm and not complain. 

Why are you writing my posts? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• Left ventricle is normal in size with moderate concentric hypertrophy. Normal left ventricular systolic function with EF of 65-70 % by 2D bi-plane method and visual assessment. • Right ventricle is dilated with normal systolic function, TAPSE is 3.4 cm. • There is moderate aortic stenosis. Peak velocity 3.4 m/s, mean gradient 28 mmHg with a calculated valve area of 1.7 cm2 - utilizing an LVOT diameter of 2.5 cm. Visually valve appears more stenotic than calculated valve area suggests. The dimensionless index VTI is 0.35, LVOT stroke volume index is 61.1 ml/m2. • There is no prior study available for comparison.

Nice knowing ya Brat. I’ll give the wheel guns a new loving home.