Getting old sucks

Hate

Am going to have to limit my participation on Surly, as it appears the macular degeneration is advancing to a level where I find it very difficult to read anything even with my 3x readers and a magnifying glass. Plus driving the car is getting problematic.
it has been quite an entertainment over the years though. 
Thank you Surly owners, moderators, and fellow assholes.

I do not approve of this post. I do not grant you permission to bail.

I suggest that you get your lovely bride to read posts out loud to you, and then you dictate responses for her to type.

You should especially do this re IPIHB posts. Trust me. It will bring you closer together.

Seriously, would love to still hear your kind and wise voice around here, as long as we can. But I also know that nothing last forever. And as I get older, that realization is really pissing me off.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Get well soon.  Do you have to have a colostomy bag? 

No thank God. That possibility really freaked me out, but with a planned surgery the risk of that is low. If you let diverticulitis get away from you and have to have emergency surgery then you can end up with a bag. I was almost there back in September so that’s why I’m getting it done now. I would have done it a month ago but I got Covid at Christmas and that delayed everything. My surgery was all robotic through a half dozen or so small incisions.
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

I've had a crick in my neck for about a week.  There's a knot about the size of my thumb where my neck joins my shoulder.  I can rub it and get the swelling down, which eases the pain, but it's back after about 30 minutes hurting like hell again.  Acetaminophen helps, but I am not going to take much.  I like my innards in good shape, thank you.

I had this 0x a year then 3-4x a year starting in my forties. A regular massage 2x a month and now it’s back to near zero. Soft tissue work is really important as we age. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Having your catheter removed by two young female med students is humbling. 

image.gif.05ff7ff70e4189f52c2b1235eb6c24cb.gif

Several years ago I has some testicular pain.  Urologist sent me for an ultrasound to take a look at the twins.  When I got into radiology, the nurse who prepped me was a very obviously gay man.  He looked disappointed when I was undressed, but he was professionaland proper.  After I was covered, the head radiologist came in with the ultrasound tech who would do the exam.  The head radiologist was an attractive woman with whom my wife and I went to church.  Awkward.  The ultrasound tech was a gorgeous young blonde woman.  Very, very awkward.  While she was moving my junk around and scanning my nuts was the only time in my life that I have prayed not to pop an erection.  The prayers and her hands being ice cold did the trick.  Oh, and both women looked disappointed, too.

Funny, I had no more testicular pain after that exam.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hernia surgery scheduled for 2/24.  No big deal, but still sucks.  47 y.o., about to be 48.

In other cool news, a colleague of mine who is my age went to the hospital in mid-December with severe abdominal pain.  Cancer.  Died Friday.  3 kids under age 6.

The older I get the more people I know who are my age who become disabled or dead.  Feels like being in an electrical storm and you can see the lightning getting closer and closer but you don't know if or when it's going to strike you.

• Like 3

I had to do that Sunday before my surgery. I didn’t really think it was that bad. The part that sucked was that I had to do it at 4pm and again at 10pm so I basically got no sleep.

Btw, the age for colonoscopy now is 45, so you whippersnappers need to get it scheduled if you haven’t.

I made it through this morning with flying colors. I wasn’t sure that the SUTAB prep was working but the doc said everything was clear. He saw no abnormal tissue or polyps and the propofol used for sedation was a nice touch. I told the nurse I could feel the cold when she started the drip. And then I woke up in the recovery room.

I shouldn’t have to do that again for ten years.

Anybody that may be hesitant to schedule a colonoscopy shouldn’t give it a second thought. Easy Peasy.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 5:31 PM, twosheds said:

I just finished my first set of twelve prep tablets for tomorrow’s colonoscopy. My stomach is already rumbling and it sounds like it will be a rough evening.

my colonoscopy prep was two bottles of water with a powder. It had zero taste, very easy

first one at 46. I had four hemeoids at once, that sucked 

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 2/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, Ojo Rojo said:

In other cool news, a colleague of mine who is my age went to the hospital in mid-December with severe abdominal pain.  Cancer.  Died Friday.  3 kids under age 6.

The older I get the more people I know who are my age who become disabled or dead.  Feels like being in an electrical storm and you can see the lightning getting closer and closer but you don't know if or when it's going to strike you.

Embrace normalcy and status quo. Don't just embrace it, but savor it.

It sounds lame until get to that other end of the spectrum.

• Hook 'Em 2

normal sleep last night. Sober, no alcohol.

at about 2am this morning, I woke up and realized that my head had slipped off the pillow.

so I reached for the pillow, and in the process of lifting my head, I heard a pop, and then an immediate shot of pain from my neck down my right arm.

Tried to rearrange myself and another harder pain wave hit.

could barely get up, took some tylenol,  and already had a doc appt scheduled for 8am for a regular checkup.  so I drift in and out of sleep and pain until my alarm goes off.

doc tells me its just a pulled neck muscle and it will get better over the next 2-3 days. 

meanwhile I can look left without issue, but cant look more than 50degrees to my right without some pain resistance in my neck.

how the fuck did I hurt myself this bad lifting my fucking head up to my freaking normal sized pillow?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

at about 2am this morning, I woke up and realized that my head had slipped off the pillow.

so I reached for the pillow, and in the process of lifting my head, I heard a pop, and then an immediate shot of pain from my neck down my right arm.

could barely get up, took some tylenol,  and already had a doc appt scheduled for 8am for a regular checkup.  so I drift in and out of sleep and pain until my alarm goes off.

doc tells me its just a pulled neck muscle and it will get better over the next 2-3 days. 

meanwhile I can look left without issue, but cant look more than 50degrees to my right without some pain resistance in my neck.

how the fuck did I hurt myself this bad lifting my fucking head up to my freaking normal sized pillow?

Brain is too big.

Perfect post for this thread.

Colon surgery recovery is going well except for one thing, the IV site is inflamed. It’s called phlebitis. So it’s back to the doc a little sooner than I planned tomorrow. Dunno if that’s a factor of me being a few months shy of 50 or what, but it’s fucking annoying. I expected all the scarring and pain from the surgery, not non-stop pain in my arm from the damn IV.

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I've had pulled muscles in my lower back that acted like this.  Just bent down like I do all the time and for whatever reason, BAM. Can't hardly move or walk.  I've probably had it once or twice a year for the past 5 years or so (I turn 48 in a month).  There is a miracle drug for it - prednisolone.

47 YO and my blood pressure is all over the place.

For most of my adult life, my BP was < 120/75.

A few years ago I had pretty bad heart palpitations and checked myself into the ER. They said my BP was slightly high and but sent me home telling me not to worry about it. A few days after the ER trip, I had really bad heart palpitations and again went to the hospital. My initial BP reading was 180/140. After 30 minutes of observation, it dropped to 130+/80+ which is still high.

I bought a BP wrist cuff a few weeks ago. One test would be 125/75 (a bit high), and a few minutes later would be 180/140.  Not sure which to believe. I have a physical exam in March. Hopefully I won't need to go on statins  (my dad has high BP, so it may be hereditary).

I went roller skating with my kids and fell on my butt. I could feel my spine compress from tailbone up to mid-back.

That was two months ago. Since that time, I skied, and using my rowing machine without problem. About 2-3 weeks ago, the pain came back and it hurts to twist my body. I'm doing more stretching and core work, but not sure if my back is permanently fucked.  FWIW, I slept on a shitty mattress in August last year and my back hurt for about 3 months. Hopefully the current pain will do the same and go away after a few months.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

I went roller skating with my kids and fell on my butt. I could feel my spine compress from tailbone up to mid-back.

That was two months ago. Since that time, I skied, and using my rowing machine without problem. About 2-3 weeks ago, the pain came back and it hurts to twist my body. I'm doing more stretching and core work, but not sure if my back is permanently fucked.  FWIW, I slept on a shitty mattress in August last year and my back hurt for about 3 months. Hopefully the current pain will do the same and go away after a few months.

Listen to this podcast, and/or watch the companion show on Peacock. You’ll never ever want a doc cutting on your back. 
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/dr-death-s1-dr-duntsch/id1421573955

47 YO and my blood pressure is all over the place.
For most of my adult life, my BP was A few years ago I had pretty bad heart palpitations and checked myself into the ER. They said my BP was slightly high and but sent me home telling me not to worry about it. A few days after the ER trip, I had really bad heart palpitations and again went to the hospital. My initial BP reading was 180/140. After 30 minutes of observation, it dropped to 130+/80+ which is still high.
I bought a BP wrist cuff a few weeks ago. One test would be 125/75 (a bit high), and a few minutes later would be 180/140.  Not sure which to believe. I have a physical exam in March. Hopefully I won't need to go on statins  (my dad has high BP, so it may be hereditary).

Ummm…..have them check for atrial fibrillation. When your BP is all over like that, that can be the issue.

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

I woke up with really painful tennis elbow. What the fuck? I can barely hold anything.  This hurts worse than when I got it from lifting weights wrong in the gym. I was asleep in my bed!!!

Tennis elbow.  Is that what we're calling it these days?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the other day I woke up fairly early and wanted to let the GF sleep in.  I very quietly slip out of bed, grab my sweats and a shirt off of the chair, and "sneak" out of the bedroom, naked, to dress in the hallway and head to the kitchen for coffee and surly.  As I'm sneaking out, the creaking of my fucking bones woke her up.  WTF.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I woke up with really painful tennis elbow. What the fuck? I can barely hold anything.  This hurts worse than when I got it from lifting weights wrong in the gym. I was asleep in my bed!!!

Take some Naproxen.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

I bought a new 22 cu/ft refrigerator a couple of weeks ago. I'm too far from the store to get delivery so the wife and I went to town to fetch it yesterday. I could have rounded up some help but I'm stubborn and haven't given in to my age yet. I'm pretty stiff this morning but that motherfucker is in the kitchen humming away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2