Getting old sucks

Hate

12 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Got my second shingles shot today, and it feels like my arm is trying to separate from my shoulder.  If the first shot is any indication, tomorrow will not be fun.  Still better than shingles, though.

First shot made me sick, I felt fine after the second shot.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Got my second shingles shot today, and it feels like my arm is trying to separate from my shoulder.  If the first shot is any indication, tomorrow will not be fun.  Still better than shingles, though.

The worst vaccine I've ever got. Arm felt like someone took a sledge hammer to it, and felt like I had the flu. But as you say, better than getting shingles.

• Hook 'Em 1

+ 4 on the shingles shots.  Both laid me out.  I got shingles about a year before the new vaccine was approved for people over 50. I was too young for the old, less effective vaccine.  It wasn’t fun but I had a fairly mild cast—but in an unfortunate place—where the Sun doesn’t shine.  I know a guy who may have permanent vision loss in one eye because of shingles.  Get the shots when you are eligible.  

• Hook 'Em 1

When I went for my physical at 50, I asked for all of the old people shots - shingles, pneumonia, rickets, whatever.  Doc said I wasn't old enough.  I had the pox as a kid and know people who have had shingles - I don't want shingles.  How old do you have to be to get the shingles vax? 

I had a coworker who had a shingles outbreak on the left side of his head and left shoulder.  Because of that outbreak, he lost some hearing in his left ear, was utterly and absolutely miserable for about two months, and nearly lost sight in his left eye.  As sick as I have been today, it is nothing compared to that.  Get the shot, man.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

When I went for my physical at 50, I asked for all of the old people shots - shingles, pneumonia, rickets, whatever.  Doc said I wasn't old enough.  I had the pox as a kid and know people who have had shingles - I don't want shingles.  How old do you have to be to get the shingles vax? 

How long ago was that?  The new double-dose shingles vaccine (Shingrix, I think) is for people over 50.  The old one was for people over 60, IIRC, and it wasn’t very effective anyway.  For people scared of a little fever for a day or two after a shot, that’s way better than some of the possible complications you can get from shingles.  And you can get shingles over and over again (usually in the same area of your body) unless you get the shots.  After getting shingles before the new vaccine was approved, I got the new vaccines as soon as they were available.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

How long ago was that?  The new double-dose shingles vaccine (Shingrix, I think) is for people over 50.  The old one was for people over 60, IIRC, and it wasn’t very effective anyway.  For people scared of a little fever for a day or two after a shot, that’s way better than some of the possible complications you can get from shingles.  And you can get shingles over and over again (usually in the same area of your body) unless you get the shots.  After getting shingles before the new vaccine was approved, I got the new vaccines as soon as they were available.

It was a couple years ago.  I'll ask at my next physical.

18 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

After 50 now... split dose as @HouTex mentioned.  I had first done, apparently it has very little to no issues for most people. I didn't even get sore spot.  Second dose apparently similar to 2nd dos Moderna where for 24hrs you are flu like, don't want to go anywhere.  Doctor said make sure to schedule where it won't conflict with event you want to go to...or schedule so you have excuse to not go to an event you don't want to go to.  Sound advice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Ya saw that too, reckon that’s the case for vast majority. Also saw a .gov study on it that seems to lend some credence to the supplement itself… if you can find a reputable product. 

Hey, another a-fib episode with a cardioversion scheduled in a few minutes. That’s a fun little Friday.
I was actually at the electrocardio doc on Tuesday for an annual follow up. All good, no new episodes. THREE FUCKING DAYS LATER, Here I am. Stupid internal electric signals.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

It was a couple years ago.  I'll ask at my next physical.

Generally it's free at Kroger pharmacy if you have normal medical insurance.  Don't need a Dr's permission if you're over 50.  I took the shots and felt terrible (mild fever, chills, body aches, etc.) for about 8 hours 12 hours after the shot, then was fine.  

On 6/1/2022 at 9:42 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Only had a slightly sore shoulder with both shots.

But yeah, ya don’t want even a mild case of shingles again. I had ‘em for about 2 weeks sixty years ago.

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey, another a-fib episode with a cardioversion scheduled in a few minutes. That’s a fun little Friday.
I was actually at the electrocardio doc on Tuesday for an annual follow up. All good, no new episodes. THREE FUCKING DAYS LATER, Here I am. Stupid internal electric signals.

Four years ago at my new cardiologist visit they gave the usual EKG which said it was all good.

Less than 12 hours later I had a heart attack. Lol

Me…… when I was feeling better and off the oxygen….

237C1508-1700-476A-ACB1-FDBFFF3419EE.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

It would be a whole lot cooler if they actually told you which brands actually have the needed ingredient. 

On 2/7/2022 at 7:43 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

The Clinic called Saturday with my A1C numbers from last weeks visit. I jumped from 6.1 to 8.7. The Holidays and all of the sweets really fucked me over.  All of it was my doing. The nurse suggested that I schedule an appointment to discuss medication options. I told her that I will try to cut the sweets out of my diet for the next 90 days and see how that works before I start chucking pills or getting shots. Shouldn't be that much of a challenge because I did a good job of it for the previous 15 years.

@Armybrat Sorry to hear about your eye issues. I hope you are able to figure out a way to continue participating. Good luck.

My A1C has been 6.3-6.4 for about four years, it was finally at 8.6 this year. My blood sugar has been 100-114. This year it was 140. I loaded up on ice cream before the twelve hours started before the blood draw. My doctor tried putting me on Metformin. That shit absolutely sucked, back pain, and it felt like my kidneys were going to fall out. So far, I've just knocked out the carbs in my diet, but I am so damn sick of drinking water. I'm thinking of asking the bar down at the 19th Hole if the can get Glucerna on tap. With our demographics, it would be their best seller. Now to get my high blood pressure under control.

CHIEF

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And.....back in rhythm.  But still, they have to knock you out to do it, and shave your damn chest.  So, I lost a day, I'm tired (will need a nap -- tired from both the lack of sleep and the anesthesia), and my chest is gonna itch for two damned weeks.

So, we'll see what's next.  An ablation?  Maybe.  Seriously, whoever my internal electrician was, he sucks and was probably not a well-trained union guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Four years ago at my new cardiologist visit they gave the usual EKG which said it was all good.

Less than 12 hours later I had a heart attack. Lol

Me…… when I was feeling better and off the oxygen….

237C1508-1700-476A-ACB1-FDBFFF3419EE.jpeg

At least I was courteous enough to have one of my heart attacks in the Cardiologist's office. That gets you moved to the head of the line at the Cath Lab.

Now for something completely different. Woke up 3 days ago with a kink in my neck on the right side. It has worked down my shoulder and my already fubar rotator cuff is as bad as it's ever been. Glad I saved up some Tramadol, but it really isn't helping.

• Like 2

At least I was courteous enough to have one of my heart attacks in the Cardiologist's office. That gets you moved to the head of the line at the Cath Lab.
Now for something completely different. Woke up 3 days ago with a kink in my neck on the right side. It has worked down my shoulder and my already fubar rotator cuff is as bad as it's ever been. Glad I saved up some Tramadol, but it really isn't helping.

Weird way to tell us you’re now jerking off left handed, but ok.

On 6/1/2022 at 12:15 AM, mininghorn88 said:

A couple of weeks ago a lifelong buddy of mine mother passed away.  She was in her early 80's.  I went to her funeral along with a few other childhood buddies that I grew up playing baseball with.  I had not seen many of them in years.  I do not do Facebook so I do not keep up with pics of others.  We took a group photo.  That was the first time that we were all together since the mid-to-late 80's.

Later one of the guys posted the photo on Facebook.  A friend of mine showed me the post and all of the comments.  Looking at the photo and the comments made me tear up.  It was hard for me to believe that the guys that I was looking at were once pretty good athletes (we all had the opportunity to play baseball in college at various levels).

We later got together again to go to lunch.  A couple of the guys brought their dads with them.  The same men that coached me in little league, etc. and that I have known my whole life.  Again, the tears flowed as it was difficult to see these men walking with canes and/or being careful getting around and watching their now grown sons taking care of them.  Gone are the days of them throwing BP or taking infield with us.

It is one thing to see people every day and not recognize the aging process but to be separated from folks for a while and then seeing them, well, reality really sets in.  I knew that I was "old" (almost 56) but the picture really drove the point home in a very visible way.

This post really hit home for me.  I was actually thinking the other day how much I'd love to see the parents of my friends and tell them what an impact they had on my life.  Most of my childhood friends moved back to the Houston area, and I don't get to see them much.  I'm close to Austin, and if I go to Houston it to see my sister and my niece/nephew.  Getting a chance to hang out with old friends and their parents would be awesome.  Aside from them being the baseball/basketball/soccer coaches of my youth, they would drive us out to the fire station and play basketball with us and 12 other people, go on bike rides out to a golf course and buy us frozen lemonades, go to the nearby school and be All-time QB in a 2 hour game of football.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I took that shit for granted, but when I had my first child at the age of 34, I vowed I would be the dad to do those things with my kids and their friends, so that when they all became parents, it would motivate them to do the same and be the dad people remembered.

I'm 45 now, and I have 3 sons.  I've coached all but 3-4 seasons of whatever sport they were playing at the time.  I've mellowed out over the years in terms of how serious I take it.  I'm a competitive person, but this is for them, not me.  Be as good as you want to be, take it as seriously as you want to take it, but remember Daddy for making it fun.  They're are mostly into soccer these days, and I run my ass off out there with them in drills and scrimmages.  I try to take them on bike rides, but they aren't into it as much as me.  When it comes to swim parties, I'm the adult that shows up in a bathing suit and plays Marco Polo and lets the kids jump off my shoulders while te adults do their thing.  It helps me feel young, but I know at some point they will appreciate it for different reasons.

A week after turning 45 I really hurt my knee jump roping with my 7 year old at a school event for students and their dads.  Been putting off an MRI, but it's time.  I'm not ready to admit I need to slow down, and hopefully it's fixable and I don't have to slow down.  But yea, getting old sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Regarding Shingles, had it a few years ago. At first thought it might have been Pancreatitis as I felt pain and discomfort on left side, suffered with it during Jr’s wedding weekend and finally broke out in sores/rash like symptoms.  Wife got her shots this year and had flu like symptoms, I’ve been hesitant about getting them. 

On 6/3/2022 at 8:30 AM, bluto said:

Any of you olds take NMN supplement? Friend of mine mentioned it. 

51 YO.

No supplements beyond beer, bourbon, and ice cream.

23 hours ago, slorch said:

51 YO.

No supplements beyond beer, bourbon, and ice cream.

Start with vitamin C, vitamin D (5000iu/day), and a chelated magnesium twice a day.  I wouldn’t bother taking anything I bought off Amazon.  How far down this rabbit hole to go? You’ll figure it out.

from your friendly non-local pharmacist

4 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

Start with vitamin C, vitamin D (5000iu/day), and a chelated magnesium twice a day.  I wouldn’t bother taking anything I bought off Amazon.  How far down this rabbit hole to go? You’ll figure it out.

from your friendly non-local pharmacist

I ain't taking shit until i have to.

No scrips.  No illegal drugs.

That's just how it is.

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

I ain't taking shit until i have to.

No scrips.  No illegal drugs.

That's just how it is.

Don’t blame you a bit for that attitude-I’m on 2 prescriptions, and it’s a pain in the ass.  OTOH, i started a regimen of supplements at about 45 and I subjectively feel “better” overall whenI remember to take ‘em.

Having's been to a doctor in years... maybe decades.. never needed to.  Only time I see them it when busy taking the rest of my family for god knows what.

Now...working my way through the I'm >50 doctor scene... finally worked myself up to schedule taking care of the ole colonoscopy this summer because you bastards promised it isn't that bad (still don't trust any of you)... also decided to do the yearly dermatologist screening cause wife said "you always had that spot on your ear"?  I'm like no clue... dermatologist cut if out for biopsy sure enough got the call today... joined the cancer club - melanoma.  Seeing surgical oncologist for next steps.... Glad I at least caught early.  Get those checks everyone... really....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Having's been to a doctor in years... maybe decades.. never needed to.  Only time I see them it when busy taking the rest of my family for god knows what.

Now...working my way through the I'm >50 doctor scene... finally worked myself up to schedule taking care of the ole colonoscopy this summer because you bastards promised it isn't that bad (still don't trust any of you)... also decided to do the yearly dermatologist screening cause wife said "you always had that spot on your ear"?  I'm like no clue... dermatologist cut if out for biopsy sure enough got the call today... joined the cancer club - melanoma.  Seeing surgical oncologist for next steps.... Glad I at least caught early.  Get those checks everyone... really....

Prepping for your colonoscopy is the shits. But the procedure itself is the best 45 minute nap you will ever have.

• Haha 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:29 PM, Brisketexan said:

And.....back in rhythm.  But still, they have to knock you out to do it, and shave your damn chest.  So, I lost a day, I'm tired (will need a nap -- tired from both the lack of sleep and the anesthesia), and my chest is gonna itch for two damned weeks.

So, we'll see what's next.  An ablation?  Maybe.  Seriously, whoever my internal electrician was, he sucks and was probably not a well-trained union guy.

prolly just drunk that day.