New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

23 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Here for a couple days. Etouffee and garlic oyster po boy at Liuzza’s by the Track slammed just like last time.

c242e4020fd35a2eebea3fe953a1fbce.jpg

7 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Favorite po boy in town, imo.

I've never had the garlic oyster there. I don't think i can bring myself to order anything other than the BBQ shrimp poboy. 

Took the wife and two kids to Commander’s Palace for her birthday. It’s good but I’m not sure it’s $500 good. That’s our second time there: I want to check off some different high end places next time.

Port of Call is a funky joint off of Esplanade with good burgers (served with a baked potato) and *powerful* tiki drinks

Who Dat in Marigny was really good for breakfast. I liked staying in Marigny. Easy access to Frenchman and FQ. Neat neighborhood.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Took the wife and two kids to Commander’s Palace for her birthday. It’s good but I’m not sure it’s $500 good. That’s our second time there: I want to check off some different high end places next time.

Port of Call is a funky joint off of Esplanade with good burgers (served with a baked potato) and *powerful* tiki drinks

Who Dat in Marigny was really good for breakfast. I liked staying in Marigny. Easy access to Frenchman and FQ. Neat neighborhood.

Fuck yeah Port of Call is the shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Chargrilled oysters and shrimp & grits from Felix’s tonight.

IMG_1315.thumb.jpeg.acbe3b32b88e2135154cbfd529a37193.jpeg

Couldn’t love this more. There’s Felix’s, and there’s Acme. I dig Acme, but we’ve been a Felix’s family for 70+ years. Introduced my kids to chargrilled there, they’re now one of my daughter’s favorite foods.
First time I argued before the 5th Circuit, GOLL and I went over there after (we had 4 hrs to kill before our flight), called the client from the oyster bar to update them on the case, and each of us put down about 5 dozen and some cold beers. We each put a $20 on the bar for our shucker as we got there, and told him “we’re gonna be here a while, take care of us.” We ate and drank, and talked to our shucker about his kids…one was going to Tulane on a full ride, the other was heading to Angola on a felony conviction.
It’s one of the great places in these United States. Bravo.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

We hit Atchafalaya for brunch on the way out of town and … was disappointed. I had high expectations and it didn’t live up to them. 

It started strong with the fried green tomatoes app (it comes with three but asked for them to plate it with 4 since there were four of us and they obliged). That was a very good rendition, but that was the high point. 

IMG_0830.thumb.jpeg.7669d96d4be6313609a2f0fec36228dd.jpeg

I had the breakfast risotto - it was pretty much a jambalaya made with boudin (I know it wasn’t actually that, but that’s the flavor notes it hit) with a poached egg and pork belly. It was … fine. Good but not great - and needed liberal helpings of crystal hot sauce. I also ordered a biscuit on the side, and it was dry. Came with jam but not butter. It was $5 and not worth fifty cents in my opinion - I didn’t even finish half of it. 

IMG_0832.thumb.jpeg.cf6df4facb8e15d34d5b3b8d24f9e0b9.jpeg

My sister had the shrimp and grits - this was probably the best dish at our table but it’s not the best shrimp and grits to be had in NOLA like some people say. My brother had the duck hash and it was good, and my mom enjoyed her crab cake Benedict. But we all agreed it was several steps below the other places we hit this weekend.

Oh well - even a step down was still a pretty darn good meal,  the weather was fantastic all weekend, and can’t knock spending time with my mom  in a city I love (she’s in good health, but 70s are still 70s and you don’t take anything for granted). 

I’m back in Austin now and already counting down the weeks until I’m back for Jazz Fest.  

Edited by hornian
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Fuck…when is Jazzfest. I want to make sure I’m not there if any of it is during the week. It sucked trying to work there during Mardi Gras.

Last weekend of April and First weekend of May.   But its out at the Race Track. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I never got a chance to get a Muffuletta this week. It was the week from hell for traffic and I didn’t feel like an Uber after getting back to the hotel after 14 hour days.

I did it to Mr Ed’s one night (Mr B’s was too crowded). It was ok. I wasn’t going to complain, but I probably won’t go back. There was a bartender that @bolverk would be arrested for stalking though (no pic).

gumbo and shrimp and grits

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to NOLA for the Crescent City Classic over Easter weekend.  Staying in the Garden District.  Easter brunch reservations at Arnaud's.  Friday evening will be usual grilled oysters somewhere.  Need to decide where to go for dinner on Saturday and Sunday.  Probably hit some places in the Garden District/Warehouse/CBD.  Been to Atchafalaya and Commander's Place.  Haven't tried Cochon yet.   

Any good oyster places outside of the Quarter?  Superior Seafood on St. Charles?

Edited by Jerry Callo

Cochon is a good choice.  My favorite for dinner right now is Peche, and that's a good spot for oysters as well.  

In the CBD, Seaworthy has a good selection of oysters.  I think they have a happy hour deal, and Superior may as well.  Have not eaten at Superior but have heard good things from others who have been.  

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Cochon is a good choice.  My favorite for dinner right now is Peche, and that's a good spot for oysters as well.  

In the CBD, Seaworthy has a good selection of oysters.  I think they have a happy hour deal, and Superior may as well.  Have not eaten at Superior but have heard good things from others who have been.  

Superior is definitely good and has decent happy hour specials including $1.25 oysters.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I’m at Mr B’s right now since I didn’t get a chance to get here on my last trip. I still owe someone in this thread a picture of a muffuletta. 

It's been a few years, but the muffuletta at Stein's may have been the best I've had.  Butcher has a good one too, better than Central Grocery IMO.

17 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Going to NOLA for the Crescent City Classic over Easter weekend.  Staying in the Garden District.  Easter brunch reservations at Arnaud's.  Friday evening will be usual grilled oysters somewhere.  Need to decide where to go for dinner on Saturday and Sunday.  Probably hit some places in the Garden District/Warehouse/CBD.  Been to Atchafalaya and Commander's Place.  Haven't tried Cochon yet.   

Any good oyster places outside of the Quarter?  Superior Seafood on St. Charles?

It’s not Cajun, but I went to Shaya (on Magazine, in the Garden District) last month and it was one of the best meals we had there. It’s Israeli food, but very fucking good Israeli food. And even then, it l’s not kosher (there was shrimp and other non-kosher items). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Got back into town a little earlier than usual so I hit up Luke for Happy Hour.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed given the hype Luke has gotten. I think tomorrow will be Jaque IMO’s.

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Got back into town a little earlier than usual so I hit up Luke for Happy Hour.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed given the hype Luke has gotten. I think tomorrow will be Jaque IMO’s.

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

You're a tease, Hate. A damned tease. You know what I'm waiting for ... 🤣

Going to a wedding in Amite next Sunday, spending a couple extra days in New Orleans.  Reservations so far at Peche, Atchafalaya, Gris Gris, Herbsaint.  Planning to hit up Butcher on Saturday to try their fried chicken (Sat only) and High Hat on Monday to try their red beans and rice (Mon only).  

I've also been asked to find a poboy place we haven't tried yet, deciding between Guy's and Luizza's.

22 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Going to a wedding in Amite next Sunday, spending a couple extra days in New Orleans.  Reservations so far at Peche, Atchafalaya, Gris Gris, Herbsaint.  Planning to hit up Butcher on Saturday to try their fried chicken (Sat only) and High Hat on Monday to try their red beans and rice (Mon only).  

I've also been asked to find a poboy place we haven't tried yet, deciding between Guy's and Luizza's.

Which Liuzza’s?

13 hours ago, Updawg said:

Went to mothers out of convenience and a recommendation. Fuck that place. It sucked on many levels.

Ha, we went there once too because it was convenient several years ago.  What a tourist trap that place is.

Edited by kevwun

47 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ha, we went there once too because it was convenient several years ago.  What a tourist trap that place is.

But it’s not just a tourist trap. There are a ton of locals going through there, including plenty of restaurant workers. It’s weird. We ate there a few times in our early visits to NOLA and at some point decided it was crap. We stay at a hotel across the street from it a lot and see the lines each day. I liked their jambalaya but that wasn’t a saving grace. 

I like Mother's. But then, I get the ham biscuit or the debris biscuit, and not much else. I also wouldn't wait in line for it. 

In fact, I think I would have preferred Mother's for breakfast over Atchafalaya when I was there last. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1