Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

The atmosphere in Reed Arena

“It was fine. I mean I’ve been here a lot and I don’t think it’s overwhelming if that’s what you’re asking. I don’t think there’s many arenas in the country that I would say are overwhelming. I’ve got a lot of respect for A&M, coming (over here) a lot obviously, but I think someone should teach ’em about overrated because I think it takes away from your win. They’re a good basketball team. When you start chanting overrated, you’re diminishing the fact that their team just played a heck of a basketball game and beat a good team. If we’re overrated, what does that say about their team? But they’ve been doing that for, how long ago I’ve been coming here? 25 years. So, maybe you should write it and tell them.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

i was looking at the kenpom page from the year that got barnes fired, and damn- what a tough way to go out. here’s the final kenpom ranking of every team Texas lost to that year:

39)Stanford (in OT)

38)OSU x2 (once in OT)

25)WVU

20)Butler 

16)ISU x3 (losses of 8, 3, and 2 points)

14)Baylor 

12)KU x2 

11)OU x2 (lost on road by two points)

1)Kentucky

11 of 14 losses came against top 25 kenpom teams, and the worst loss was against NIT champion stanford during the time period when isaiah taylor was out injured. i mean yeah, that team should have been a lot better than it was, and honestly it would have been without Taylor’s injury, but damn- on paper that is a tough way to go out. 

• 2 weeks later...

big game coming up on wednesday for the vols at home against auburn:

IMG_9322.thumb.jpeg.111408270b32e9e0e2dc1a8e0d6e8ddc.jpeg

a win would certainly help their case for a 1 seed. auburn is the deepest team in the country, their bench is basically as good as their starting five. really interesting team output together by pearl.

Barnes a really good job with this tennessee team. it’s not his most talented team ever at tennessee, but it’s his best overall team. dalton knecht is a bona fide 1st team all american who will be a lottery pick this summer. what a find he’s been. my favorite player to watch in cbb, along with rob dillingham. should be a good game.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

gonna be a good one.

or not. two highly ranked, highly physical teams playing a crucial game on the cusp of march, and we’ve got 18 fouls called in the first 8:30 of the 2H, nine on each team. fucking officials are ruining this goddamn sport, and most every other sport i watch for that matter.

Edited by shadow_operative

going on the road and beating alabama when your team shoots like this is impressive:

IMG_0049.thumb.jpeg.2aa4f23806218bc712a834a73eee50fc.jpeg

beating a good team on the road when zeigler and knecht combine to shoot 10-32 (6-19) is maybe the biggest data point that shows that this team has what it takes to win in the tourney. i won’t believe it until i see it, but this is how you have to win in the later rounds of the tournament.

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

congrats to coach barnes and tennessee. first outright sec title for the vols since 2007. one of the best coaching jobs of rick’s career as well. well earned for coach barnes and the vols.

I really hope he wins it all this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I really hope he wins it all this year. 

i feel about him the same i felt about andy reid before he won his first super bowl. just a great guy, beloved by his players, a great regular season coach, but one who’s known for repeatedly falling short in the postseason. you just want a guy like that to get over the hump, because he deserves it, as much anyone deserves to win a sports championship anyway. it’s the only thing really missing from his coaching career. i’ll be rooting very hard for the vols in the tourney.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/10/2024 at 4:04 AM, Fastbreak said:

Shocked face that Rick lost to a decent but lesser team in the conference tourney. Has that ever happened before?

On 3/10/2024 at 4:29 AM, shadow_operative said:

that was a regular season game.

And that "lesser" team finished second in the conference and is ranked among the top-10 teams in the nation. Also, it was by four points.

But yeah, typical Rick Barnes.

• Hook 'Em 1

outstanding job by barnes recruiting and developing DK.

IMG_0775.thumb.jpeg.61a825738cffc83a6c8c1fb3dbefc8e7.jpeg

from averaging 16.5 at colorado state to becoming the first player since 2010 to average 24+ ppg in SEC play and (we assume) finishing runner up for national POY. DK has what it takes to become an absolute tourney star. here’s to hoping he can help lead the Vols to their first ever final four.

I fear we are about to see the same movie for the 15th time with a Rick Barnes team.

Tennessee lost their final regular season game to Kentucky at home and is currently down by 19 to Mississippi State in their first game of the SEC tournament while struggling to put the ball in the basket.

Edited by Hookem2147

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I fear we are about to see the same movie for the 15th time with a Rick Barnes team.

Tennessee lost their final regular season game to Kentucky at home and is currently down by 19 to Mississippi State in their first game of the SEC tournament while struggling to put the ball in the basket.

Smells like March! 

Certainly didn't see this coming, Hubbard was a problem for UK couple weeks ago.  Kid hit some tough shots and he's hit a few today. 

So in these settings, does the team that's already played a game have the advantage over a rested team ?

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Certainly didn't see this coming, Hubbard was a problem for UK couple weeks ago.  Kid hit some tough shots and he's hit a few today. 

So in these settings, does the team that's already played a game have the advantage over a rested team ?

I wouldn’t think so.