Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

you must have missed that possession after the timeout when down by 4. The last 15 years of Rick Barnes career in a nutshell

Exactly. they melted down at the end as usual. It's what his teams do. Front running pussies who fold when it matters. 

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Yep. That’s pretty much exactly what happened. 
Lots of his teams have played tight and poor and it just looked like he had them scared to death and things stagnated- they got ooor shots, turned the ball over etc. none of that happened when they were in the process of going from 6 up to 4 down. Then Michigan closed really well. Threw in a circus shot up 2. Hit their FT’s down the end of the game. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Damn.  That 538 article that has been referenced on here several times was released 3 years ago.  It had Barnes as the 2nd worst tourney coach - 558 out of 559 coaches.  Since then, TN has:

Lost as a 2 v. a 3.

Lost as a 5 v. a 12.

Lost as a 3 v. 11.

Barnes' stats have actually gotten worse since the article.

That's all I'm going to say about this on here because I'm not here to pile on Derka.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow! So the coach not obsessed with winning titles does not win a title (again). Who would have EVER guessed? Anyone who expects him to win a title should look up the definition of insanity. 
"We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream.”

Rick ‘0 Titles’ Barnes

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's all I'm going to say about this on here because I'm not here to pile on Derka.  

That's considerate. But as he'd say in the Ted Lasso thread, this board's purpose is not to serve as a safe space for him. Pile on if it's what's on your mind

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn.  That 538 article that has been referenced on here several times was released 3 years ago.  It had Barnes as the 2nd worst tourney coach - 558 out of 559 coaches.  Since then, TN has:

Lost as a 2 v. a 3.

Lost as a 5 v. a 12.

Lost as a 3 v. 11.

Barnes' stats have actually gotten worse since the article.

Well, he just wants Rick to pile on him. You're good. 

7 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

As the only Tennessee fan here I’m not going to bitch. The effort was there. Sometimes shit just doesn’t happen. 

don't do this to yourself. there's a reason we fired him. this is Rick Barnes.

nice guy but his teams absolutely fucking shit the bed in the tourney. has any of this tourney teams ever upset anyone?

nice guy but his teams absolutely fucking shit the bed in the tourney. has any of this tourney teams ever upset anyone?

I remember where we were before him. Last years early exit was garbage but I can’t really blame shit on him for this one. Sometimes the shots don’t go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Yeah. We made a sweet 16 as a 6 seed with TJ Ford as a freshman. 
also,

Clintinado isn’t a Barnes honk. I feel like he’s been critical more often than not in the past. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Wow! So the coach not obsessed with winning titles does not win a title (again). Who would have EVER guessed? Anyone who expects him to win a title should look up the definition of insanity. 
"We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream.”

Rick ‘0 Titles’ Barnes

people like you are hilarious...ly stupid and uninformed, and all too excited to run in here and announce to the bird that you don't know shit about college basketball. you show up here once a year to pound your chest how much Rick Barnes sucks because he's never won a title, which only goes to show petty and uninformed you are. let's go to the numbers:

Tom Izzo- 22 tourneys, 1 title

Bill Self- 22 tourneys, 1 title

John Calipari- 22 tourneys, 1 title

Jim Boeheim- 29 tourneys, 1 title

Mark Few- 22 tourneys, 0 titles

Bob Huggins- 25 tourneys, 0 titles 

Eddie Sutton- 26 tourneys, 0 titles 

That's a list of some of the all time great college basketball coaches, hall of famers, top 5 and 10 guys in terms of all time wins, and between them they've gone to the tourney 168 times, with a total of FOUR, count 'em, FOUR combined national titles. That's a 2.3% success rate for some of the best to ever do it. but yeah, keep on creaming yourselves over the insane disappointment that is the fact that Barnes has never won the most difficult championship to win in all of sports. yeah, that's the ticket. 👌🏼 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

As the only Tennessee fan here I’m not going to bitch. The effort was there. Sometimes shit just doesn’t happen. 

Lol. Ok. Ya seems this shit just only happens to Barnes coached teams in the tourney. Y’all lost to an 11 seed who people bitched about them even being in the field of 68.

49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Hahahahahahahaha. Fuck off Rick Barnes. Piece of shit coach.

here we go batman GIF

Fuck off, dumbass. Weren’t you saying Dak was a top 5 qb and Stafford is trash all season? And you have a dozen years of being an idiot. Is Barnes John Wooden? No. Is he Shaka? Christ no.

He’s a really good coach and at his peak, basically when he first arrived at Texas to the Tristan Thompson/Corey Joseph, J’Covan team, he was great coach. The Avery Bradley collapse was awful. But the 2011 team got beyond fucked. That was a final 4 team and arguably a national championship team. They weren’t playing their best ball towards the end of the year (hahahahaha!!!! Exactly!!!! Typical Rick!!!!!!) but fuck. We went to the final 4, two elite 8s, a sweet 16, got one of the best basketball players ever to come here and raised the expectation level at Texas. Which honestly, after Abe and Penders, is pretty damn impressive.

Oh and look at the stats from the 06 LSU game. It was that 1 out of a million game where shots just weren’t falling for Aldridge and Gibson and our usual studs. And they let that little bitch Big Baby get away with murder. Same in 2004 against Xavier. So yeah, he’s a really good coach and this take is retarded, which is to be expected from your dumbass. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

up until Andy Reid finally got over the hump by winning a title with Mahomes, Tyreek, and Kelce, he used to be my go-to comp for Rick Barnes. here's a guy with an eye for talent, he can recruit, he can develop talent, he's mastered one side of the ball, he's beloved by his players, he's an outstanding regular season coach, but he always comes up short in the postseason. that's who Rick Barnes is- he's Andy Reid from three years ago. anyone who wants to act like that makes him some major failure is clearly just a dumbass with an axe to grind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

also,

Clintinado isn’t a Barnes honk. I feel like he’s been critical more often than not in the past. 

so out of ALL his tourney teams, only one team has ever upset a lower ranked team? yea, rick underperforms in the tourney. it's a fucking curse or someshit.

people like you are hilarious...ly stupid and uninformed, and all too excited to run in here and announce to the bird that you don't know shit about college basketball. you show up here once a year to pound your chest how much Rick Barnes sucks because he's never won a title, which only goes to show petty and uninformed you are. let's go to the numbers:

That's a list of some of the all time great college basketball coaches, hall of famers, top 5 and 10 guys in terms of all time wins, and between them they've gone to the tourney 168 times, with a total of FOUR, count 'em, FOUR combined national titles. That's a 2.3% success rate for some of the best to ever do it. but yeah, keep on creaming yourselves over the insane disappointment that is the fact that Barnes has never won the most difficult championship to win in all of sports. yeah, that's the ticket.  

Lol. Fake UT just lost to an 11 seed who many people thought didn’t even deserve to make the field. Fake UT was a top 5 team and didn’t even make it past the round of 32. Shut the fuck up already.
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

rick went to the sweet 16 five times in six years at texas, and the one year he didn't make it was when he lost LA and PJ in January. it's so crazy how Barnes went from being considered one of the absolute best tourney coaches out there, to now being considered one of the worst by a majority of (admittedly uninformed) people. but right or wrong, that's the party line, and everyone is going to stick to it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

also,

Yeah, I gave him shit his second and third year here. He completely changed style of play in the middle of the season and we had a nice run late in the year. If they were playing uninspired tonight I would be furious but I just can’t do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Worst tournament coach of the last 20 years?

59 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Has to be him and Shaka neck and neck. And we had to endure both of them....

Last 20 years? So staring in 2002? A final 4, sweet 16 and two elite 8s and he’s the worst of the last 20 years? Last 10 years? Sure. Last 20? Unreal 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

so out of ALL his tourney teams, only one team has ever upset a lower ranked team? yea, rick underperforms in the tourney. it's a fucking curse or someshit.

No- he had some upsets at providence I believe. 
you know who else doesn’t have any upsets to speak of in the tournament? Coach K. Bill Self has zero upsets in the entire tournament at Kansas I believe. 
when Rick had it rolling at UT we were usually seeded high enough that you weren’t going to see a lot of Opportunities for upsets. That’s the nature of wearing white for most of your time here. After it went bad for Barnes it went bad for Barnes and literally everyone (including me, Derka, Fletch etc) wanted him gone. Because it was time. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Clintonaldo said:

It will be interesting to see how far Michigan goes. 

yea, we did this same thing too to make us feel better about the losses. i'm not talking shit. i like rick. but i was so ready and happy to fire him. something about the tourney and rick. sad that nothing's changed.

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

That's a list of some of the all time great college basketball coaches, hall of famers, top 5 and 10 guys in terms of all time wins, and between them they've gone to the tourney 168 times, with a total of FOUR, count 'em, FOUR combined national titles. That's a 2.3% success rate for some of the best to ever do it. but yeah, keep on creaming yourselves over the insane disappointment that is the fact that Barnes has never won the most difficult championship to win in all of sports. yeah, that's the ticket. 👌🏼 

Now count Sweet 16s

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

rick went to the sweet 16 five times in six years at texas, and the one year he didn't make it was when he lost LA and PJ in January. it's so crazy how Barnes went from being considered one of the absolute best tourney coaches out there, to now being considered one of the worst by a majority of (admittedly uninformed) people. but right or wrong, that's the party line, and everyone is going to stick to it. 

Not quite.

I could buy a Marvin Lewis comp. Andy Reid occupied a higher rung of success pre-SB than Barnes ever sniffed.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Lol. Ok. Ya seems this shit just only happens to Barnes coached teams in the tourney. Y’all lost to an 11 seed who people bitched about them even being in the field of 68.

This site was sooooo much better when you were hardly posting. Please return to that. I mean you’re MajorHarsin level stupid 

Just now, TommyGufano said:

Not quite.

I could buy a Marvin Lewis comp. Andy Reid occupied a higher rung of success pre-SB than Barnes ever sniffed.

Did he though?  Barnes had us as a top 10 program out of 360 teams for a decade. Even iF you want to get rid of all the low and mid majors that’s still what top 15 or so percent. In the nfl that would be a team that’s consistently 4th-6th or so in the league. About like Andy Reed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, crash_davis said:

yea, we did this same thing too to make us feel better about the losses. i'm not talking shit. i like rick. but i was so ready and happy to fire him. something about the tourney and rick. sad that nothing's changed.

I get it and it’s a valid criticism. I’m just not ready to fire his ass yet. Don’t get me wrong.... there are some angry Tennessee fans and have been for 3 years but I feel like he has brought us to a good level. Can he get us to the next level.... probably 50/50 but he will leave the job in better shape when he leaves. 

31 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Rick’s legacy here really got a boost from the fact that Shaka was somehow even worse in the tournament.

Some got nostalgic for Rick’s second round exits because Shaka could never even get out of the first.

No, we have nostalgia for the final 4 and the sweet 16s and elite 8s. Christ was he Bill Self here? No. But like Mack, he was the right coach at the right time. During their peaks they were good to great coaches. Then shit went to hell overnight with our entire athletic department. How you people don’t understand this by now, I will never know 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Did he though?  Barnes had us as a top 10 program out of 360 teams for a decade. Even iF you want to get rid of all the low and mid majors that’s still what top 15 or so percent. In the nfl that would be a team that’s consistently 4th-6th or so in the league. About like Andy Reed. 

yes

2 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I get it and it’s a valid criticism. I’m just not ready to fire his ass yet. Don’t get me wrong.... there are some angry Tennessee fans and have been for 3 years but I feel like he has brought us to a good level. Can he get us to the next level.... probably 50/50 but he will leave the job in better shape when he leaves. 

Which is the same thing he did for us. And your next coach will probably do worse than him, because he’s a top 20 or so coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Which is the same thing he did for us. And your next coach will probably do worse than him, because he’s a top 20 or so coach. 

we're rehashing years old discussions but when you think of the players he recruited and played for him who are or were in the nba, and then you look at his lack of tourney success, that's when you realize he has a ceiling regardless of how good the players are. that is one long ass run on sentence.

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

yes

Explain to me how Andy Reeds pre title resume was a different level from Barnes. He played in one super bowl. Barnes made 1 final 4. Barnes made a couple elite 8’s and a couple more sweet 16’s. That’s pretty equivalent to Reeds tenure at Philly. It’s different sports and leagues so it’s not exact or anything, but it’s a pretty good parallel. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

At one point Rick Barnes was an above average coach, that point was a long time ago. His decline conincided with his falling for religious psychobabble from Billy Graham

Yes- because average coaches win the SEC tournament at Tennessee and have 11-7 record against Kentucky while there, along with being high seeds in the tournament frequently. Looooooots of average coaches do that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Explain to me how Andy Reeds pre title resume was a different level from Barnes. He played in one super bowl. Barnes made 1 final 4. Barnes made a couple elite 8’s and a couple more sweet 16’s. That’s pretty equivalent to Reeds tenure at Philly. It’s different sports and leagues so it’s not exact or anything, but it’s a pretty good parallel. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You did it for me. 

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

No, we nostalgia for the final 4 and the sweet 16s and elite 8s. Christ was he Bill Self here? No. But like Mack, he was the right coach at the right time. During their peaks they were good to great coaches. Then shit went to hell overnight with our entire athletic department. How you people don’t understand this by now, I will never know 

Rick Barnes was really good here until 08, no one is denying that.

But it was 7 years of mediocrity by the time he left, which is almost as long as he was good here, and yes, I think Shaka being worse made people forget that.

• Hook 'Em 1