2020 ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson

texifornia

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

And y'all really gonna believe the $9.95ers with the kool-aid they spilled through out fall camp about Card?  I wanted to see Thompson, JJ and Card battle it out in the Spring.

I mean I've seen all three throw the ball at some point or another. Card was the more polished product by miles and this was known coming in, it isn't a surprise. JQJ is a baller and his ceiling is higher probably but he isn't sticking around to find out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

People may not want to hear this, but this is about Yurcich as much as it is Herman. JQJ committed to Herman, he didn’t commit to Yurcich and Yurcich has a type.

Same thing that happened to Milroe. Even long before Ewers committed, Yurcich damn near ghosted him.

Yurcich a racist confirmed.

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I mean I've seen all three throw the ball at some point or another. Card was the more polished product by miles and this was known coming in, it isn't a surprise. JQJ is a baller and his ceiling is higher probably but he isn't sticking around to find out. 

behind the OL heading into '21.. Card is gonna get banged up and will (like in HS) be an INT machine when throwing the ball off scrambles.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

behind the OL heading into '21.. Card is gonna get banged up and will (like in HS) be an INT machine when throwing the ball off scrambles.

Risk you have to take. At some point, especially in this conference, your QB has to have the capability of throwing the ball well. Relying only on JQJs legs just because the OL is suboptimal isn't going to get us far. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If you thought both he and Card were going to stay, you were kidding yourself. Card has separated himself as the heir apparent and this is the inevitable result. It sucks but it’s the reality of signing two QBs in one class. 

1. I'm not sure how anyone can claim Card as the heir apparent over Jackson based on what we've seen so far. We all knew that Jackson was more raw coming in with a potentially higher long-term ceiling.

2. One of the big advantages of both Card and Jackson when we took them was they supposedly had "positional flexibility" and could be moved around if they weren't going to win the QB job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

1. I'm not sure how anyone can claim Card as the heir apparent over Jackson based on what we've seen so far. We all knew that Jackson was more raw coming in with a potentially higher long-term ceiling.

2. One of the big advantages of both Card and Jackson when we took them was they supposedly had "positional flexibility" and could be moved around if they weren't going to win the QB job.

Jackson’s actions today just debunked both of your points. He doesn’t view himself as a linebacker nor a longer term project. The idea that he would just idly sit back then move to linebacker one day was pure fan fiction and wish casting. He wants to play QB and he wants to start somewhere. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yurcich a racist confirmed.

Lol, that is not what I said.

He has fucked up his own QB room though. Made little effort to build a relationship with Milroe because he thought Ewers was coming and now has neither. (I don’t blame him for losing Ewers though, just the Milroe stuff). And now this. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Jackson’s actions today just debunked both of your points. He doesn’t view himself as a linebacker nor a longer term project. The idea that he would just idly sit back then move to linebacker one day was pure fan fiction and wish casting. He wants to play QB and he wants to start somewhere. 

I just don't understand how he transfers now instead of competing in the spring.. if he gets beat out or clearly is behind, then sure I get transferring, but doing it now?  Did the staff tell him point blank he needs to go to the defensive side?

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I just don't understand how he transfers now instead of competing in the spring.. if he gets beat out or clearly is behind, then sure I get transferring, but doing it now?  Did the staff tell him point blank he needs to go to the defensive side?

Samples likely said "Hey Shane is done and we have dog shit behind him. Shamone bro"

Edited by Hank_Hill

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Maybe he's like the rest of us and just can't stand Tom Herman and would rather play for someone else

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I have no idea. One would think he would have seen how playing time was divided in the spring but this fall he was the clear 4th in a 4 man group. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I for one can't believe that the QB that was behind the other in a two-QB class is transferring. Shocking I tell you.

Same, at a place like Texas? Two QB classes always wind up with both sticking around. 

image.png.b9281ee356fc3b168cda477214561c92.png

24 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

It's well known that Card has been way ahead of Jackson in development so far. 

He's already been beat out and he knows it. 

46 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This,I don't understand transferring 1 year in with 0 playing time no spring and limited practices

Because it's well known that Card is better and they're in the same class. You guys are really overthinking this. 

I would prefer JQJ switch to defense or stick around to see how it goes at QB but this is hardly surprising. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Because it's well known that Card is better and they're in the same class. You guys are really overthinking this. 

I would prefer JQJ switch to defense or stick around to see how it goes at QB but this is hardly surprising. 

Well known by who? If JQJ thinks so little of his ability to compete then why is it going to make a difference someplace else? This has nothing to do with JQJ thinking Card is better and everything to do with the coaches bungling the situation.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Well known by who? If JQJ thinks so little of his ability to compete then why is it going to make a difference someplace else? This has nothing to do with JQJ thinking Card is better and everything to do with the coaches bungling the situation.

Every 9.95 has said Card is way ahead in development.

This isn't shocking news. JQJs ceiling is high but he was always going to need development as a passer. Card was much more polished as a passer coming of high school. The fact Yurcich wants a pass first QB it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why this staff is much higher on Card. 

Herman sucks and so does this coaching staff but they didn't do anything wrong here. Card is a very good QB and when you sign two good QBs in the same class one is likely to transfer once they realize they're the 2nd option. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the larger issue is that the staff that is determining how "developed" these guys are and setting the depth chart likely isn't going to be here next season. If a new coach comes in, he won't get the luxury of getting a good look at Card, JQJ and Thompson. The prior staff will already have decided for him. Maybe that coach would evaluate differently or have a completely different idea of what personnel to run - even just in spring ball. 

It's hard to know, too, what these kids are being told. Is JQJ under the impression Herman is staying? Does he think Herman is gone? Has he been told Herman is gone already? Would he have hit the portal if Herman had been canned already? 

I mean shit, if Herman goes sooner maybe Casey is the one that transfers and JQJ hangs around. 

Obviously QBs transfer all the time. That doesn't make the timing optimal or make it less disappointing when one of them leaves before even getting a snap.

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Every 9.95 has said Card is way ahead in development.

This isn't shocking news. JQJs ceiling is high but he was always going to need development as a passer. Card was much more polished as a passer coming of high school. The fact Yurcich wants a pass first QB it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why this staff is much higher on Card. 

Herman sucks and so does this coaching staff but they didn't do anything wrong here. Card is a very good QB and when you sign two good QBs in the same class one is likely to transfer once they realize they're the 2nd option. 

Well, yea they did. Don't fucking diarrhea your pants again this season in the easiest Big 12 we've ever seen and you can keep guys like this on until spring. Much harder when you vomit on yourself and likely lose your job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Well, yea they did. Don't fucking diarrhea your pants again this season in the easiest Big 12 we've ever seen and you can keep guys like this on until spring. Much harder when you vomit on yourself and likely lose your job. 

A good year wasn't going to keep JQJ. He knows he's behind Card. 

He was gone either way. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A good year wasn't going to keep JQJ. He knows he's behind Card. 

He was gone either way. 

I don't buy that. Yes he knows that but with more stability and without Samples (allegedly) in his ear I think he stays another year to see if he can close the gap.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I don't buy that. Yes he knows that but with more stability and without Samples in his ear I think he stays another year to see if he can close the gap.

Talents like JQJ don’t wait until year 3 to get playing time. 

Have you followed college football at all? 90% of the top QBs transfer the moment they realize they aren’t the guy. 

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I for one can't believe that the QB that was behind the other in a two-QB class is transferring. Shocking I tell you.

I get this, the problem is we'd like to have more confidence that we are keeping the better of the 2 options. I can't confidently say that after 1 redshirt season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yep. Top programs tend to have QBs in the wings just waiting for their # to be called. 

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I don't buy that. Yes he knows that but with more stability and without Samples in his ear I think he stays another year to see if he can close the gap.

Which is why letting Samples go was kind of a fuck up regardless of whether their handling of the QB room was or not. But you already underlined the real fuck up - which is another year of shitty results that doesn't keep any of these kids excited about the program. They watch (insert regional team here) play and think "hey - that looks like more fun AND I could move up the depth chart!"