Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

homeless guy threatens to shoot rich kids at UT.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-threatens-to-shoot-all-the-rich-kids-at-ut-facebook-page-shows-white-supremacist-images-police-say/

An arrest warrant has been issued for a man accused of first assaulting a security officer at Dell Seton Medical Center and then making a terroristic threat toward students at The University of Texas.

During a medical examination at the Travis County Jail, the UTPD officer says that while he and a nurse were in the room, Blakley said he intended to go to campus and “shoot all the rich kids at UT.”

at 11am yest, I was driving by Ohlen & 183 and got stuck at the light there, noticed smoke off to my left ( it was coming from behind one of the highway pillars), so I was kinda worried.  light turns green, go past, and these guys have a small hibachi style grill fired up and filled with small sticks, just burning.....

couldnt get a pic though

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

at 11am yest, I was driving by Ohlen & 183 and got stuck at the light there, noticed smoke off to my left ( it was coming from behind one of the highway pillars), so I was kinda worried.  light turns green, go past, and these guys have a small hibachi style grill fired up and filled with small sticks, just burning.....

couldnt get a pic though

Didn’t happen 

On 9/24/2019 at 8:33 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Just saw where some residents and small business owners in San Fran are placing large boulders in prime camping areas to make it uncomfortable for homeless 

Those aren't boulders. They're Flinstone toilets. 

Should we offer to give these unfortunate homeless citizens a nice place to live right next to the Mayor's and Council members homes?  We could set up some really nice and inviting spots right out in their front yards so they can be close to their constituents.

Not a Abbott fan but kudos to him with this message to the mayor and Austin city council giving them until November 1st to fix the mess they've created. That's excellent leadership and use of the hammer he has as the governor or our great state. Don't let them California our Texas.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 9

19 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Not a Abbott fan but kudos to him with this message to the mayor and Austin city council giving them until November 1st to fix the mess they've created. That's excellent leadership and use of the hammer he has as the governor or our great state. Don't let them California our Texas.

I approve of this message

• Like 1

You stupid smug fuck.  Do you ever get tired of being completely wrong ?

gosh that hurts my feelings.

Do you think that the police have been actively enforcing the laws pertaining to public safety, nuisance, littering, criminal trespass, etc since the camping ban was rescinded?

Serious question.

Oh, and see post #1900 and tell me what you disagree with.

53 minutes ago, Abogado Peligroso said:

The cops and some city workers are disabling the Adlerville under Ben White at Lamar.  Anyone know why?

Effective leadership from our governor and negative pub. A great 1-2 punch needed to shame the city to action. What Abbott did today was the best thing he has done as governor apart from school finance reform. Firmly putting his foot down and saying that the state will not tolerate or let Austin or any other city in this state go down the path of LA, SF and Seattle allowing for homeless encampments, open drug use and shit and used needles on the streets.

Now this is how you bring down the hammer. Bravo. Getting 4 different state agencies involved to bring the city in line. Just like with banning the prohibition of fracking and single-use plastic bags, when a city overreaches, we have the Tex Leg and governor to step in ready to ready to protect the citizenry from regulatory overreach by cities.

In his letter, Governor Abbott laid out several strategies the state can use to protect against threats to public safety and health including:

• The Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) has broad and sweeping authority across the range of health and human services, including the authority to adopt rules in the areas of communicable disease, sanitation, and health protection.
  • The Department of State Health Services (DSHS) protects the health of all Texans through the prevention and control of disease and other public health risks using strategies authorized by the Texas Legislature. For example, in the event of a disease outbreak or reported infectious disease, DSHS has authority to conduct investigations and impose control measures applying to specific individuals, property, animals, and area quarantines. Due to a variety of factors, including lack of access to clean water, limited access to healthcare, and environmental and other conditions, the homeless are at a higher risk for contracting certain communicable diseases—including hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV, and tuberculosis. Among other things, homeless Texans are estimated to contract tuberculosis at a rate more than 70 times higher than the general population. 
  • The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) regulates the State’s water quality standards. Water quality could suffer if increased human defecation and other waste resulting from Austin’s homelessness ordinance caused elevated concentrations of E. coli in Austin creeks or watersheds. Additionally, in reviewing Austin’s stormwater management plan, TCEQ will insist on seeing a plan that addresses the effects of the crisis resulting from Austin’s homelessness ordinance. 
  • The Department of Public Safety (DPS) has authority to act statewide—including throughout Austin—to ensure the safety of state employees and those seeking services from the State on or around state-owned or state-leased property. DPS can also enforce the state law prohibiting criminal trespassing. If necessary, DPS will add troopers in Austin areas that pose greater threats. DPS also stands ready to increase security for state agencies that are forced to respond to the homelessness crisis. 
  • The Department of Transportation, among its powers to ensure the safety of Texas roads and those around or traveling on them, can remove property that may block roadways or endanger public safety.
  • The Office of the Attorney General has the authority to seek injunctive relief and civil penalties for violations of Texas statutes and rules requiring abatement of public health nuisances. The Attorney General also has broad legal authority under countless other statutes.

19 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Effective leadership from our governor and negative pub. A great 1-2 punch needed to shame the city to action. What Abbott did today was the best thing he has done as governor apart from school finance reform. Firmly putting his foot down letting his foot down and saying that the state will not tolerate or let Austin or any other city in this state go down the path of LA, SF and Seattle allowing for homeless encampments, open drug use and shit and used needles on the streets.

FIFY

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Single use plastic bags and fracking are a fucking scourge on the environment, so eat a meth dick Icono. 

This isn't NY or CA. Banning fracking in any city in TX is fucking stupid. Prohibiting bags is an unnecessary imposition on consumers and retailers. Thankfully the leg in this state has show the will to intercede and will hopefully be a deterrent from a city from thinking they can pass a plastic straw ban or some other joke of a law.

You think prohibiting the destruction of our environment is unnecessary? Wtf is wrong with you? Those god damn bags get every where, and guess what they aren't biodegradable. Every single use piece of plastic bullshit should be banned. And fracking... pumping polluted toxic water into the ground where our water comes from sounds like a good idea to you? 

/thread derail over

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The police assn appear to have suspended their temper tantrum and begun enforcing the law.

Yeah. This.

They announced previously that particular location was going to be shut down. Well before the Governor decided to make a political statement today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This isn't NY or CA. Banning fracking in any city in TX is fucking stupid. Prohibiting bags is an unnecessary imposition on consumers and retailers. Thankfully the leg in this state has show the will to intercede and will hopefully be a deterrent from a city from thinking they can pass a plastic straw ban or some other joke of a law.

Greg Abbott...what was it he said?  Oh yeah,

"“I got to tell you, it’s great getting out of the People’s Republic of Austin,” the governor said during his time at the Bell County Republican Dinner’s podium. “As you’re driving, you guys know this, as you leave Austin and start heading up North you start feeling different and once you cross the Travis County line, it starts smelling different and you know what that fragrance is? Freedom. It’s the smell of freedom that does not exist in Austin, Texas.

So we didn't have freedom, but now we have too much, so I guess Abbott has to take some of it away.  Or something.

As much as I think Adler and the City Council are fucking idiots over this, Abbott's just using this for political theater.  He gives no shits about Austin.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 4

It was a political play on both sides.  Sucks that our city council thought they could illuminate Austin as some sort of Garden of Eden where the realities of homelessness in the USA can be solved single handedly with little to no prior planning, and it sucks that our governor frames this as some sort of saving Austinites from our communist overlords.  The truth is in the middle, the state should contribute more resources than they do to homelessness because the cities can't solve this on their own, and the city should actually have some competent planning before they do something so drastic.

I'm not holding out hope, because I think they're all pretty contemptible.

• Like 3