Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

51 minutes ago, Mappable said:

Adler could sell his condo at the W and fund a fund a hundred homeless trailers out at decker lake:

Owner: ADLER STEPHEN I & DIANE T LAND    
% Ownership: 100.0000000000%    
Total Value: $3,898,463    
Entity Description Tax Rate Appraised Value Taxable Value Estimated Tax    
01 AUSTIN ISD 1.192000 $3,898,463 $3,873,463 $46,171.68    
02 CITY OF AUSTIN 0.440300 $3,898,463 $3,508,617 $15,448.45    
03 TRAVIS COUNTY 0.354200 $3,898,463 $3,118,770 $11,046.68    
0A TRAVIS CENTRAL APP DIST 0.000000 $3,898,463 $3,898,463 $0.00    
2C DOWNTOWN PUB IMP DIST 0.000000 $3,898,463 $3,898,463 $0.00    
2J TRAVIS COUNTY HEALTHCARE DISTRICT 0.105221 $3,898,463 $3,118,770 $3,281.60    
68 AUSTIN COMM COLL DIST 0.104800 $3,898,463 $3,859,478 $4,044.73    
  Total Tax Rate: 2.196521          
        Taxes w/Current Exemptions: $79,993.14    
        Taxes w/o Exemptions: $85,630.56

Dope. Multi million dollar high rise condos will solve the housing crisis. 

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That person has six children, is a single head of household, and makes $9 per hour.  That is going to be a rough life.  I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.  I would probably try to get my kids to work as soon as they were old enough to increase the family income and find as cheap of a city to live in as possible.

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I know you are being obliquely snarky, but no one should call them “bums”.

Possibly some poor choices early in her life with her marriage, but good on her for taking in two more kids and working to hold her family together.

Too bad the father isn’t being held accountable for child support. However, he may be unable to provide it because of his poor life decisions. Who knows what the whole story may be?

But this lady and her family should be a priority for government & charitable assistance. Mrs. Brat’s church does provide financial assistance to numerous requests from similar folks every month to help them with rent & utilities, plus donated food & clothing..... a program completely separate from any government entity. They’ve been doing that for decades.

Edited by Armybrat
Very old

fuck the homeless.

ttps://cbsaustin.com/news/local/homeless-man-charged-for-unprovoked-attack-on-woman-in-downtown-austin

A woman is sharing her story after she claims a homeless man assaulted her last week in Downtown Austin.

Karli Mitchell regularly walks to work in the area of 6th and Brazos streets. But it's a route she says she no longer feels safe on.

"He wasn't looking at me, we weren't making eye contact. We had no sort of interaction before, it was the most random act of violence. Out of the blue," she said.

It was just last Monday that Mitchell says she was assaulted by a homeless man. It happened while she was walking to her car with a group of people.

"Literally, nothing I could of done to prevent it," explained Mitchell. "I was as aware of my surroundings,

APD Police Chief Brian Manley says his department is seeing more complaints like this. "The word you used embolden, what I have heard from the community is that they are at times embolden. The encounters are at times aggressive," Manley told CBS Austin, in a previous interview.

"Literally, nothing I could of done to prevent it," explained Mitchell. "I was as aware of my surroundings,

could of? come on cbs.

PD Police Chief Brian Manley says his department is seeing more complaints like this. "The word you used embolden, what I have heard from the community is that they are at times embolden.

embolden? emboldened. come on now. terrible journalism.

• Like 3

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin City Council is meeting Wednesday to talk about where people who are homeless can’t camp, sit or lie. They will also hear from the public at the 1 p.m. meeting.

The camping, sitting and lying ordinance has been a hotly debated issue since the council voted over the summer to decriminalize those activities in public places.

The latest proposal on the table divides the city into different categories for varying levels of enforcement.

Mayor Steve Adler and Council Members Greg Casar, Kathie Tovo and Ann Kitchen said they all back the latest recommendation. They called it a “phased approach” proposal.

Last week, Council Members Tovo and Kitchen had backed one version of limitations, and Adler and Casar had countered with a slightly different plan.

The latest proposal all four agreed on “establishes and phases in restrictions for three categories of places.”

• Category 1:
    • Enforceable immediately.
    • Existing prohibitions apply in areas considered unsafe, parks, private properties, construction zones, etc.
    • Could include some streets downtown and Guadalupe Street and West 24th Street near the University of Texas at Austin
    • To be determined: what it means to not block a sidewalk
  • Category 2:
    • Effective after housing and services are offered and signage posted
    • Could include areas surrounding the Austin Resource Center for the Homeless (ARCH) and the proposed south Austin shelter
    • Mentions sloped areas under highways
    • Could include streets like Rio Grande Avenue, San Antonio Avenue, San Gabriel Street, Nueces Street and Red River Street
  • Category 3:
    • To be considered when the city has achieved its goal of ending homelessness
    • Could prohibit camping on sidewalks entirely and in all busy areas

“We can certainly ticket and arrest people that are in those areas that they just should not be in because it’s just not safe,” said Adler.

He said Category 2 is about creating places where people can be as they’re being told to move from where they’re currently.

“As a community, we just can’t continue to move those people down the street where they’re still engaging in the same kind of conduct,” Adler explained. “We have to help those people move off the street, not just down the street.”

Outside the ARCH, dozens of people camp every day on sidewalks nearby. Adler said, “We need to go see who’s there, maybe do a little census, do what we did when we got the success we did with veterans. We focused on individual people and came up with individual solutions.”

Solutions to homelessness

Bill Brice, Vice President of Investor Relations at the Downtown Austin Alliance said perceptions matter. “The Downtown Austin Alliance wants downtown to be a safe place, but also where people feel safe all the time,” he said.

But, according to Brice, that hasn’t been the case lately.

“Visitors that are leaving hotels, whether that’s individuals that are travelers or groups for meetings and conventions that are being hosted in Austin…Some are saying they’ll never come back to Austin,” he said.

Brice told KXAN reasonable limitations on camping are needed.

“One of the things that we’d really like to see that hasn’t been recommended yet is that you should not be able to sit, lie or camp in front of an open business.”

He also wants the city to make clear rules, so police can actually enforce them.

When asked about defining the specifics, such as what is a clear path, three feet or five feet of sidewalk, Adler told KXAN: “I also think that’s very important for the council to come up with, a specific number so that both the police and people know what the standard is.”

City Council Member Jimmy Flannigan said he hopes after this week, the council can provide sufficient clarity for police officers, so they know exactly when someone is illegally camping in public places.

But after that, he said coming up with strategies to actually end homelessness must be left to the experts.

“The council is not the place where we should be inventing solutions,” he said. “I want our staff take the resources and direction they’ve already been given and come back with the implementation plan.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-city-council-to-debate-homeless-camping-proposal-that-would-divide-city/

I mean, you fucks enabled this shit by decriminalizing vagrancy, you can can un-enable it pretty quickly, just go back to normal enforcement of vagrancy laws.

Be as humane as possible in the enforcement, but you need to get off your high fucking horses and stop trying to act benevolent, when in reality you are just trying to gain headlines to make it seem like you give a shit.

• Like 4

To be considered when the city has achieved its goal of ending homelessness.

The fact that they think this is a real possibility is farcical.  "Don't worry guys!  Noone else has figured this shit in our country out but we're going to do it on our own with nothing but your property taxes and the best of intentions!"

• Like 2

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/sister-of-man-accused-of-unprovoked-6th-st-attack-blames-austins-new-homeless-ordinance

She says he decided to leave the group home where he was living for a life on the streets. "He said, 'I'm going to live at the ARCH, I'm going to live in downtown Austin, you can camp out anywhere you want to in Austin,'" Janet said.

Something she says was a direct result of Austin's homeless ordinance "When you can come pitch a tent right here in the city of Austin and you're good to go, why are they going to spend their money on rent?" she asked.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/homeless/austin-police-officers-injured-vandalism/269-47a49c43-0b4a-4da6-8caf-c19de0a5ab72

According to Ken Casaday, the president of the Austin Police Association, the homeless man was vandalizing cars downtown at around 5 p.m. Tuesday.

When approached by the officers, he resisted arrest and attacked, according to Casaday.

Casaday said five officers were either injured in the process of trying to apprehend the man or were exposed to blood. One officer was bit on the knee.

Janet McIntosh says her brother Edward willingly started living on the streets as a result of Austin's new homeless ordinance.

In June, the Austin City Council changed the homeless ordinance to allow sitting, lying and camping in more public spaces.

Janet, who lives in Lockhart, says she was shocked when she heard of the assault. "When I saw this young lady, it broke my heart. That my brother had for no reason attacked her, for no reason what so ever," she said.

Edward was booked into the Travis County Jail on assault with injury charges.

She says Edward has been off his medication and dealing with a cycle of drug addiction. "My brother is mentally ill. He suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and is bipolar," Janet said.

She says he decided to leave the group home where he was living for a life on the streets. "He said, 'I'm going to live at the ARCH, I'm going to live in downtown Austin, you can camp out anywhere you want to in Austin,'" Janet said.

Something she says was a direct result of Austin's homeless ordinance "When you can come pitch a tent right here in the city of Austin and you're good to go, why are they going to spend their money on rent?" she asked.

and our benevolent leaders have still failed to even mention mental illness and drug addiction when speaking about the homeless. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Well, let's entertain that. How would you pronounce "could've?"

With a French accent?

Did someone write "could've"?

I wondererd into this late, so I'll accept a "Shut the fuck up Donny" if appropriate.

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

who's the dumb bitch who said this?  seriously, what the fuck.

Many of those who continue to support council's actions brought race into the conversation. "As white people and particularly, also people who are well-off in this city we have this sense that we deserve to feel safe.  This is one of the underpinnings of our white supremacist culture that this city is ours, to take back," one speaker said.  

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Many of those who continue to support council's actions brought race into the conversation. "As white people and particularly, also people who are well-off in this city we have this sense that we deserve to feel safe.  This is one of the underpinnings of our white supremacist culture that this city is ours, to take back," one speaker said.  

You can see the quote in context here:

http://austintx.swagit.com/play/09182019-1665/0/

Starting around 2:14:10 minutes into the video (4:35 pm on the video clock)

She was speaking in support of the council's original path, urging the council to hold firm on their current path.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

You can see the quote in context here:

http://austintx.swagit.com/play/09182019-1665/0/

Starting around 2:14:10 minutes into the video (4:35 pm on the video clock)

She was speaking in support of the council's original path, urging the council to hold firm on their current path.

i had no confirmation that quote was from a woman, but i thought there's a high probability that a woman could be that fucking stupid.  thank you for proving correct my initial hunch.

now i have a name to attach to this stupidity.  andrea black.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

spacer.png

I passed two over pass camps (cameron/290 and 35/290) on my way downtown today and saw porta potties and city garbage cans at both. All the fucking trash Im used to seeing was gone. Actual trash not the homeless.

Is there an event this weekend which prompt City Cuntsel to do something so competent?

Edited by MissingInAction

(Statesman) The Austin City Council walked into the council chambers Friday morning, poised for the third day in a row to pass updates to their controversial decision to rescind homeless camping ordinances. By lunchtime, the effort had fallen apart.

The council decided to postpone any action on proposed updates to homeless ordinances on camping and sit/lie provisions until at least Oct. 17. The vote was 9-1-1 with Council Member Jimmy Flannigan against and Council Member Alison Alter off the dais.

At 12:35 p.m., the council continued discussions on homeless issues, but appeared not willing to take any votes on resolutions that are still on the table.

As deliberations moved forward, one council member after another signaled their discomfort with the process to update homeless ordinances after the group has “had their teeth kicked in” by the public over lifting homeless camping bans in June, as Council Member Natasha Harper-Madison said.

The council had listened to hours of testimony Wednesday from a community sharply divided over the situation with homeless camping, ahead of a scheduled vote on Friday. Many have called for a total reversal of the council’s action in June, while others have opposed any new camping bans.

As divides over the minutiae of a proposed ordinance emerged on the dais, it became clear that reaching a consensus was impossible.

“This has been such a contentious issue and hard issue emotionally in a variety ways in which I can’t see any of us walking out today feeling good in a tiny way,” Council Member Delia Garza said.

19 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Someone paid to come and spout this nonsense, more than likely.  

On 8/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

The sad part is that in aggregate terms we don't actually have a huge homeless population for a city our size. They are just concentrated in problematic locations. Austin's homeless problem is manageable enough if we would manage it in the following ways:

1) House and provide wholistic rehab/services for the permanent homeless population in the model of Community First, and support for families facing hardship and women fleeing violence in the model of what the Salvation Army does. 
2) Change the intake/service policies at the ARCH to discourage loitering by those who are not being serviced at that location (they are already doing that this fall)
3) Ban camping in the CBD or within 1000ft of a shelter, or ~200ft from a bus stop and other high velocity/turnover locations.
4) Move the ARCH away from the current location (perhaps to the Austin State Hospital or State School) to reduce the draw of predators and contact with criminal elements

This issue is way outside of my lane so I don't have the right contacts at city hall, but when I have discussed the above with staff, here's what I get back:

1) The zoning for more options in the Community First model is a non-starter anywhere in the city limits due to neighborhood politics. 
2) In Process
3) There's movement in this direction but there are various competing flavors. 
4) See #1